PDA

View Full Version : The Right Wing Media Doesn't do True Conservatives any Favors

101A
09-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I can empathize with those of you on the left that are sick and tired of crap spewing from your side that needs to be answered. A few minutes ago I got a call to log onto KLUP and listen to Michael Medved. He was going to quote Obama from right after 9/11 - and that it was going to be big. I listened to him quote from a piece that Obama wrote on, like 9/19/01 - and it sounded weak kneed and indecisive. Not a huge deal, but it could certainly, and is, being used against Obama.

As you all know I am no Obama fan, but I looked up the article, and here is the text of it. I bolded the (very important) line Medved left out:

Even as I hope for some measure of peace and comfort to the bereaved families, I must also hope that we as a nation draw some measure of wisdom from this tragedy. Certain immediate lessons are clear, and we must act upon those lessons decisively. We need to step up security at our airports. We must reexamine the effectiveness of our intelligence networks. And we must be resolute in identifying the perpetrators of these heinous acts and dismantling their organizations of destruction.
We must also engage, however, in the more difficult task of understanding the sources of such madness. The essence of this tragedy, it seems to me, derives from a fundamental absence of empathy on the part of the attackers: an inability to imagine, or connect with, the humanity and suffering of others. Such a failure of empathy, such numbness to the pain of a child or the desperation of a parent, is not innate; nor, history tells us, is it unique to a particular culture, religion, or ethnicity. It may find expression in a particular brand of violence, and may be channeled by particular demagogues or fanatics. Most often, though, it grows out of a climate of poverty and ignorance, helplessness and despair.
We will have to make sure, despite our rage, that any U.S. military action takes into account the lives of innocent civilians abroad. We will have to be unwavering in opposing bigotry or discrimination directed against neighbors and friends of Middle Eastern descent. Finally, we will have to devote far more attention to the monumental task of raising the hopes and prospects of embittered children across the globe—children not just in the Middle East, but also in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe and within our own shores.

Kind of an important line to leave out, no?

We sit in here and peruse the internets, and eventually uncover the truth, or in some cases, what we want to see as the truth. How the fuck is anybody supposed to sort through the crap from both sides when ALL of it is spun?

Mr. Peabody
09-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Yeah, it's crazy when you think about how many careers and fortunes depend on the right hating the left and the left hating the right.

Hell, the main reason Olbermann moved up the ranks at MSNBC is because of his rants against the Bush Administration. Evidently, Olbermann started believing the hype because while his first few "Special Comments" were big news, after that he started giving a special comment about anything that he didn't agree with. He did a Special Comment on Hillary Clinton's campaigning and one on Barack Obama's stance on FISA. Now Olbermann is almost a parody of himself. He sits in the anchor chair at MSNBC and literally calls out anyone (I'm looking at you Joe Scarbrough) that has a dissenting opinion.

But, again, the reason he's there is because he's combative and outspoken.

JoeChalupa
09-12-2008, 04:31 PM
I don't listen to his show but what I've seen of Michael Medved on MSNBC I've liked because he doesn't come across like a Sean insHannity or a Rush limpballs.

Anti.Hero
09-12-2008, 04:32 PM
If you keep up on these articles and listen to the shows enough, you can easily predict and find out where they get their ammo from.

I usually read the articles before I hear them talk so it is definitely funny sometimes knowing exactly what they are leaving out.

Everyone does it on both sides.

I listen to them all. Ingramn, medved, pragar*, savage, rush, hannity, etc. I got addicted to sports talk radio about 2 years ago but can't stand baseball and don't care for football too much. Once they added Nascar and golf into the discussion I had to flee to something else. I love listening to the radio.

Oh, Gee!!
09-12-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't listen to his show but what I've seen of Michael Medved on MSNBC I've liked because he doesn't come across like a Sean insHannity or a Rush limpballs.

listen to him. you're opinion of him will change.

JoeChalupa
09-12-2008, 04:47 PM
listen to him. you're opinion of him will change.

I didn't know he was KLUP. I do listen to Laura Ingram, William Bennett, Pragar, insHannity, Rush for entertainment purposes and to listen how the right views things. I too love talk radio and I LOVE baseball.

Mr. Peabody
09-12-2008, 04:57 PM
I too love talk radio and I LOVE baseball.

So unlike me, you don't get pissed off when the Rangers (or Astros?) games interrupt programming on WOAI....

JoeChalupa
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
So unlike me, you don't get pissed off when the Rangers (or Astros?) games interrupt programming on WOAI....

Yeah I do but I'm not a Rangers or Astros fan. I grew up in Ohio so I'm a Reds, Indians, Mud Hens and Cubbies fan. But I do root for the Missions and always go to a few games each season.

Wild Cobra
09-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I thought you were going to point out how hard conservatives are on republicans when they stray from conservative values or do bone-headed things. I don't think liberals realize how good the hardballs are that conservative do throw at republicans.

In all fairness about the quote, several things could have happened in this age of information overload. I listen to Medved at times, and I doubt he did that purposely. It would be more effective for him to point out the 'flip', wouldn't it?

Consider this possibility. Pundits for Obama left that part out of his quote knowing the libtards wouldn't like it, and Medved simply too their quote rather than digging deeper.

Yes, I acknowledge it also possible the misquote was intentional. I just don't believe it.