PDA

View Full Version : Duncan To Be Inducted Into Wake HOF

duncan228
09-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I took the liberty of re-arranging the order they listed them in and moved Duncan to the top. And I didn't bother with anyone else's pic. :)

Wake Forest to Induct Six into Hall of Fame (http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/genrel/091208aaa.html)
Largest class in history to be inducted Sept. 26-27

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Five Wake Forest University graduates and a former head coach will be inducted into the Wake Forest University Sports Hall of Fame on the weekend of Sept. 26-27. The induction class includes former basketball stars Randolph Childress '95 and Tim Duncan '97, Olympic triathlete Hunter Kemper '98, former Deacon golfer Len Mattiace '90, ex-New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi '63 and former basketball coach Dave Odom.

The six new members of the Hall of Fame increases the membership to 112. This marks the largest class of inductees in the 38 year history of the Hall of Fame.

The induction ceremonies will include a dinner on Friday, Sept. 26 at the Benton Convention Center. The class will be inducted into the Hall of Fame during halftime ceremonies of the Wake Forest football game against Navy on Saturday, Sept. 27.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof.jpg

Tim Duncan `97
Duncan was a four-year letterman at Wake Forest who led the Deacons to four straight 20-win seasons from 1994-97. A three-time All-American, Duncan played in more games than any other player in Wake Forest history. The 6-11 Duncan earned first team All-ACC honors three times and was twice named the ACC Player of the Year. A phenomenal shot blocker, Duncan garnered at least one rejection in 127 of 128 career games and is second in NCAA history with 481 career blocks. His 87 career double-doubles is a school record, and he became just the 10th player in NCAA history to record 2,000 points and 1,500 rebounds.

The No. 1 overall selection in the 1997 NBA Draft by the San Antonio Spurs, Duncan was named the Rookie of the Year in 1998 and has led the Spurs to four NBA championships. Duncan was twice named the NBA Most Valuable Player and earned NBA Finals MVP honors three times. He has been a 10-time NBA All-Star and a member of the NBA All-Defensive Team 11 times.

Internationally, Duncan was MVP of the World Championships three times and represented the USA in the 2004 Olympic Games.

Ernie Accorsi `63
Accorsi spent 36 years in the National Football League and built one of the league's strongest franchises in the New York Giants. As the Giants' senior vice president and general manager, Accorsi was responsible for putting together most of the roster that contributed to the Giants' victory in Super Bowl XLII in February, 2008.

Accorsi was not a student-athlete at Wake Forest but served as the sports editor of the Old Gold & Black and as the sports director for WFDD. Following graduation, he served on active duty in the U.S. Army in 1964 and then became a sports writer in Charlotte, Baltimore and Philadelphia where he broke the story of Wilt Chamberlain's trade from the 76ers to the Los Angeles Lakers in 1968.

After stints in the sports information departments at St. Joseph's University and Penn State, Accorsi joined the NFL in 1970 as the public relations director for the Baltimore Colts. Following a position in the office of NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle, Accorsi returned to the Colts in 1977 and became the general manager in 1982 where he selected John Elway with the first pick in the draft. Accorsi became the executive vice president/football operations for the Cleveland Browns from 1985 to 1992 as he engineered the drafting of Bernie Kosar. Kosar would lead the Browns to four AFC Central titles and five playoff appearances.

Accorsi joined the Giants in 1994 as the assistant general manager to George Young and then succeeded Young in 1998. Accorsi helped the Giants to the Super Bowl following the 2000 season and the NFC East title in 2005. Perhaps the most significant transaction of his career came in 2004 when he executed a blockbuster trade by shipping first-round draft choice Philip Rivers to the San Diego Chargers in return for the No. 1 overall selection, quarterback Eli Manning.

In his final 16 years as a general manager with the Browns and Giants, Accorsi had nine playoff teams including six division champions. In 2005 he was named the NFL Executive of the Year by USA Today, the New York Post, the Dallas Morning News and the San Francisco Chronicle. He was one of only five general managers in history who had teams play in four championship games, won a conference championship and had a team play in the Super Bowl.

Len Mattiace `90
Mattiace was a Deacon golfer from 1986-89 and earned first team All-ACC and third team All-America honors in 1987. A member of Wake's 1986 NCAA Champion team and the 1989 ACC Championship team, Mattiace was named to the ACC's 50th Anniversary men's golf team in 2003. He was also a member of the 1987 Walker Cup team.

After turning pro in 1990, Mattiace won his first two PGA Tournaments in 2002, claiming the Nissan Open and the FedEx St. Jude Classic. He recorded six top-25 finishes in 2001 and fired a final round 65 in the 2003 Masters to earn a spot in a playoff before falling to Mike Weir. Mattiace has a foundation called "Len's Friends" that aids Jacksonville, Fla. charities with a series of golf events.

Randolph Childress `95
Childress is best remembered for his role in leading Wake Forest to the 1995 ACC Basketball Tournament Championship. The senior guard was named the ACC Tournament MVP by scoring a tournament-record 107 points in three games (40 vs. Duke, 30 vs. Virginia and 37 vs. North Carolina). He broke the tournament scoring record when he hit the game-winning shot, a 10-foot jumper, with just four seconds remaining in an 82-80 overtime win over North Carolina in the championship game. Childress concluded his collegiate career with 2,208 points, the second-most in school history. He finished as Wake's all-time leader and second in ACC history with 329 three-point field goals and became one of just 12 players in ACC history to score 2,200 or more points in a career.

Following his senior season, Childress was named a first team All-American and was one of five finalists for the Wooden Award. He twice earned first team All-ACC honors before being drafted by the Detroit Pistons in the first round of the 1995 NBA Draft. He spent two seasons in the NBA with Portland (1996) and Detroit (1997). He has had an outstanding playing career overseas where he has most recently played in Italy.

Hunter Kemper `98
Kemper recently returned from Beijing where he finished seventh in the triathlon at the 2008 Summer Olympics. An eight-time letterwinner on the Wake Forest cross country and track & field teams, Kemper has been a force in triathlon on both the national and international levels for the last decade. The Longwood, Fla. native was the U.S. Pro National Champion in the triathlon in 1998, 1999, 2001 and 2003 and was named the U.S.O.C. Triathlete of the Year five times in 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004 and 2005. After taking a silver medal in the 2000 Pan Am Games, he was the top U.S. male finisher in the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney. He returned to the Olympic Games in 2004 and placed ninth in Athens. Kemper finished the 2005 season as the No. 1 ranked triathlete in the world and became the first U.S. male to finish first in both the World and the International Triathlon Union World Cup rankings.

In 2007, Kemper won the Great Colorado Triathlon and the Treasure Island Triathlon in San Francisco and also became the first triathlete to be featured on a Wheaties box. He was named the U.S.O.C. Sportsman of the Year in 2005.

As a collegian, Kemper was a four-time member of the ACC All-Academic Team and earned All-ACC honors after finishing second in the 10,000 meters in 1997.

Dave Odom
Odom, who recently retired as the head coach at South Carolina, spent 12 years as Wake Forest's head basketball coach from 1989 through 2001 and posted a record of 240-132. During his tenure at Wake, Odom was the named the National Coach of the Year in 1995 and earned three ACC Coach of the Year awards. After a 12-16 record in his first season in 1989-90, Odom led the Deacons to 11 straight postseason tournaments including seven consecutive NCAA Tournaments from 1991-97. Odom guided Wake to ACC Tournament Championships in 1995 and 1996 and top 10 poll finishes each year from 1995 to 1997 including a trip to the Elite Eight in 1996. He owns the Wake Forest record with 101 all-time ACC victories. During his tenure at Wake, Odom coached Tim Duncan, Randolph Childress and Rodney Rogers.

A 1965 graduate of Guilford College, Odom earned his masters degree at East Carolina in 1969. He began his collegiate coaching career with the Pirates from 1979-82, compiling a record of 38-42. In seven seasons at South Carolina, Odom was 128-104 and finished his career with an all-time record of 406-278. While with the Gamecocks, Odom won a pair of NIT Championships and was named the SEC Coach of the Year in 2004.

Brutalis
09-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Congrats to TD.

They should be naming the court and arena after him. They'll never have half the greatness.

rj215
09-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Congrats to TD.

They should be naming the court and arena after him. They'll never have half the greatness.

They're waiting for Josh Howard to retire so they can name it after him.

cool hand
09-12-2008, 06:23 PM
file under obvious.

timtonymanu
09-12-2008, 07:25 PM
that's a no brainer.

urunobili
09-12-2008, 07:56 PM
"Internationally, Duncan was MVP of the World Championships three times and represented the USA in the 2004 Olympic Games. " three golds in WC? when was that? Junior categories?

Horry For 3!
09-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Congrats to TD.

Chris Paul went to Wake Forest as well. Great player but isn't near Timmy's level yet.

duncan228
09-12-2008, 08:32 PM
"Internationally, Duncan was MVP of the World Championships three times and represented the USA in the 2004 Olympic Games. " three golds in WC? when was that? Junior categories?

2004 Olympics 5-3 / Bronze
2003 Tournament of the Americas 10-0 / Gold
1999 Tournament of the Americas 10-0 / Gold
1996 (Wake Forest) FIBA Americas U20 Championship 5-0 / Gold

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=men_alpha_D

carina_gino20
09-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Oh, thanks for that clarification. When they said WC, I thought of the actual FIBA World Championships and wondered when Duncan played in those.

BWS-1994
09-12-2008, 11:52 PM
:toast Congrats TD!

Does this mean they'll hang his jersey in their college gym too or have they done that already?

duncan228
09-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Wake retired Duncan's jersey in '97.

Tiro
09-13-2008, 12:13 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof.jpg
what a young boy.

congratulation.

BWS-1994
09-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Wake retired Duncan's jersey in '97.

That soon? Wow...

Could they do the same in SA?

spurs1990
09-14-2008, 11:06 AM
That soon? Wow...

Could they do the same in SA?

TD graduated in 1997.

So he'll have his jersey retired in SA around November of 2012.

angelbelow
09-16-2008, 07:04 AM
awesome.

mrspurs
09-16-2008, 09:31 AM
easily deserved

duncan228
09-26-2008, 04:08 PM
True Team Spirit: Odom says 1995 ACC crown was a school achievement
By John Delong

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/95acc.jpg
Tim Duncan, Randolph Childress and Coach Dave Odom celebrate Wake Forest's 1995 ACC basketball championship.

Dave Odom remembers walking into the locker room after Wake Forest beat North Carolina in overtime to win the ACC Tournament in 1995, in what was the school's first ACC basketball championship in 33 years.

There stood Randolph Childress, the senior leader, who had capped the most incredible three-game individual performance in tournament history by scoring 37 points and hitting the game-winning shot moments earlier.

There stood Tim Duncan, then a sophomore, already a good player but still in the formulative stages of what would become one of the great careers in NCAA and NBA history.

Odom remembers something greater in that locker room, too. Something greater than him, something greater than Childress, something greater than Duncan, something greater than that team.

It was the spirit of Wake Forest University, the essence of Wake Forest University.

"Talking to the team in the locker room, my message to them was the same as it would be today," Odom said yesterday. "The championship was really not ours unto ourselves. Yes, our players did the playing and we did the coaching and our fans did the cheering and all that, and there's no taking away from that. But in truth, that championship was founded years before by those that came in front of us. They gave us the foundation to accomplish that championship, and those great moments. So it was a shared championship.

"That was the thing I tried to get across to the team that day. I hope they remember that. Wake Forest is the Murray Greasons, the Bones McKinneys, the Carl Tacys. It is truly a remarkable university, where everybody pulls for everybody."

On Saturday, Odom, Duncan, and three others will be inducted into the Wake Forest Sports Hall of Fame during ceremonies at halftime of the Wake Forest-Navy football game. Childress has been voted in and would have been inducted, too, but cannot attend because of obligations with his professional team in Italy.

To Odom, the same spirit in that Greensboro Coliseum locker room in 1995 will be in the air at BB&T Field. He'll join the Greasons, the McKinneys, the Tacys, in a Hall that will increase its membership to 111. And just like in 1995, it'll be about something greater than any of them.

"It's something to share with those who have come before, and to offer to those who come after," Odom said. "It's not mine unto myself. It's not my time to say what I did. It's a collection of memories, a collection of accomplishments, a collection of things that happened that involved Wake Forest as a university, and as a community. And it gives me a chance to remind myself how fortunate I've been through the years to be associated with such a great university and great people."

Odom, Duncan and Childress will forever be linked because of their success together. So it is not only fitting that they would be honored together, it is the only way it should be. Odom was the national Coach of the Year in that first championship year of 1995, and the ACC Coach of the Year for one of three times in his 12 seasons as head coach.

Childress and Rodney Rogers, who was inducted in 2005, were the cornerstones of Odom's program when they committed in 1989, during Odom's first season. That gave the program the credibility to land others, including a big man from the Virgin Islands named Duncan.

"Randolph and Rodney came in together, and I think Randolph would tell you he actually made the decision based on the fact that Rodney had committed," Odom said. "Rodney was such a highly touted recruit that Randolph felt that Wake Forest was legitimate. And from that standpoint, Randolph was the one who exerted the confidence to play at the highest level. Up until then, we always wondered if we could. And then Randolph was in the mold of John F. Kennedy, he said, ‘Why not?' I remember the night before he committed, he said, ‘Coach, tell me we can win a championship at Wake Forest.' And I said, ‘Randolph, I wouldn't be here otherwise.' And then he said, ‘I'm coming.' That truly is the way it happened."

Duncan would get Odom and Wake Forest another ACC Tournament title in 1996. He was the national player of the year in 1997, and has since gone on to win four NBA championships and two NBA MVP awards with the San Antonio Spurs.

Odom could talk forever about his admiration for Duncan.

"I respect Tim in ways that others may never be able to appreciate," Odom said. "He was one that gave so much and asked for so little, which is so uncommon in most student-athletes today. He asked for nothing, he gave everything. And he still to this day is different than most pro athletes, because the athletes today basically want the world and want it yesterday. He wanted to earn everything he got, and he did. I still call him about once a month just to encourage him and tell him I'm so proud of him."

He's so proud to be a Deacon, too. Obviously.

There were two stints at Wake Forest, first as an assistant to Tacy for three seasons early in the 1970s, then as head coach from 1989 through 2001.

There have been stops at Virginia as an assistant and at East Carolina and South Carolina, where he coached until retiring last season, but none hold the spot in his heart that Wake Forest holds.

"I've always tried to take the best of everything from wherever I was at the time," Odom said. "But when I look at Wake Forest, it was probably a better fit than the other places I've been. Virginia I thought was a good fit, too. Here's a good way to put it. My roots go back to Wake Forest and they're deeper than at any other place. It goes back to my childhood. I grew up a Southern Baptist and my mother was a big Wake Forest supporter.

"So it all leads back there. I've been in love with Wake Forest longer than any of the other universities. I go back not only in my coaching career but in my life. Wake Forest has always been deeply imbedded in the hearts and lives of my wife, myself, and my family."

jayc23
09-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Congrats to TD.

ya lol... I clicked on this thread to laugh and be like "they haven't done this yet?" TD should be humbled his college will put one of the greatest big mans in history in the their hall.. rofls

duncan228
09-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Duncan and Dave Odom with the custom motorcycle that leads the Deacons Football team onto the field today. The HOF ceremony was at halftime of the game against Navy.

It looks like Duncan dressed up a little for the occasion. :)

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/9-27-08whofgetty.jpg

duncan228
09-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Wake Forest: Deacons Direct - Navy Gameday Blog (http://www.ncaa.com/football/article.aspx?id=379274)

Wake held a nice halftime ceremony for its five Hall of Fame inductees, Len Mattiace, Ernie Accorsi, Tim Duncan, Dave Odom and Hunter Kemper. As you can imagine, the loudest round of applause came for Duncan.

Fernando TD21
09-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the update.

That's a cool bike.

duncan228
09-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the update.

No problem. Thanks for humoring me. :)

I'm looking for more, I've got a tease on it and I'm waiting to see what else comes out. Marc Blucas was there, and Duncan did some autographing and pic taking. I'll post what I find.

Opening the Gate - 3:44 p.m.
Former Deacon standout Tim Duncan and legendary head coach Dave Odom earned the honor for today. Both were inducted into Wake Forest Athletic Hall of Fame last night. The fans gave both men a nice hand. There was also nice video shown on the video board. Capping off the ceremony, Odom joined the Deacon on the motorcycle and led the team out on the field. It was a great site to see.

Timmy D. -- Short and sweet on the speech, but extremely appreciative and gracious. Hung out long after the event was over.

TDMVPDPOY
09-28-2008, 01:03 AM
a question about childress, isnt he g ood enough to play in the nba? why in italy?

duncan228
09-28-2008, 01:33 AM
a question about childress, isnt he g ood enough to play in the nba? why in italy?

I don't know much about it...

EDIT:
And upon furthur review I shouldn't be trying to learn more now. :lmao

Ice009
09-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Different Childress Duncan228. Duncan's Wake Forest teammate was Randolph Childress.

duncan228
09-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Different Childress Duncan228. Duncan's Wake Forest teammate was Randolph Childress.

Damn. I saw Greece too and I knew it was wrong but it didn't register.

Thanks for the catch.

I should get some sleep. I moved Thursday and I'm obviously beyond exhaustion. :lmao

duncan228
09-28-2008, 02:32 AM
Sticking with what I do best...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof1.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof2.jpg

duncan228
09-28-2008, 02:34 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakeodomhof.jpg

duncan228
09-28-2008, 02:38 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof3.jpg

Spurs Brazil
09-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the pics duncan228

duncan228
09-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Men's Basketball: Duncan Stops by to Chat With Deacons (http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/ot/deacons-blog.html)
Posted by Scott Wortman, WFU Media Relations

Former Demon Deacon great and four-time NBA Champion Tim Duncan was on campus today and stopped by the Budd Gym in the Miller Center to talk with the Wake Forest men's basketball team.

The Deacons were holding an open gym when Duncan stopped in to speak with the team briefly. As a giant mural of Duncan's likeness loomed behind him, Duncan fielded questions from the Deacs and addressed such topics as life in the NBA and his offseason workout routine. He spoke with candor and seemed impressed by the "big-time" basketball facilities that the Deacons now enjoy.

Duncan is back in town for this weekend's Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. He, along with four others, will be inducted into the Wake Forest Sports Hall of Fame at halftime of Saturday's football game against Navy.

Duncan's chat with the team proved to be a fortuitous photo opportunity for us. We had our chief photographer, Brian Westerholt of Sports on Film, on campus to shoot the team photo just before the open gym. Brian was gratious enough to stick around and snap a few photos of Duncan and the Deacs.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof4.jpg http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof5.jpg

Spur-Addict
09-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Men's Basketball: Duncan Stops by to Chat With Deacons (http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/ot/deacons-blog.html)
Posted by Scott Wortman, WFU Media Relations
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof4.jpg http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof5.jpg

That's a nice blue shirt right there.

jack sommerset
09-28-2008, 02:49 PM
They should wait until he is done playing.

duncan228
09-28-2008, 03:10 PM
That's a nice blue shirt right there.

He's got a nice collection of adidas. He's in adidas pretty much anytime he does something where there will be cameras. I've even seen his wife in casual adidas stuff.

duncan228
09-28-2008, 03:11 PM

He's done playing for Wake Forest. They retired his jersey the year he graduated.

Spur-Addict
09-28-2008, 03:15 PM
He's got a nice collection of adidas. He's in adidas pretty much anytime he does something where there will be cameras. I've even seen his wife in casual adidas stuff.

Does he have a signature line?

duncan228
09-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Does he have a signature line?

Just his shoes as far as I know.

If he's got a signature line of clothes and I don't know it I'm going to be very disappointed with myself. :lol

Reggie Miller
09-28-2008, 05:02 PM
He's done playing for Wake Forest. They retired his jersey the year he graduated.

Yep. I just figured he was already in the Wake Forrest HOF.

ChuckD
09-28-2008, 05:18 PM

You should wait before you press the 'Submit Reply' button.

duncan228
09-29-2008, 12:57 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof6a.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof7a.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof8a.jpg

1Parker1
09-29-2008, 07:45 AM
:lol I love Duncan, but man he claps funny.

duncan228
09-29-2008, 10:53 PM
A couple more for those interested. :)

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof9.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/wake/wakehof10.jpg

duncan228
09-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I need help guys.

Has anyone seen any video on any part of the induction ceremony? I've only found one of Duncan opening the gate for the team to run onto the field.

I can't believe there's nothing on this. I must be missing something. An athlete of Duncan's stature gets inducted to his college HOF and nothing makes YouTube?

Help please? :)

The Franchise
09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm suprised it took this long.