PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Rivera Seņor Sack

Taco
02-10-2005, 09:10 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA021005.1C.halloffame.91a4bf80.html
Desire, results meet in S.A. hall
Web Posted: 02/10/2005 12:00 AM CST

David King
Express-News Staff Writer

Hall of Fame
What: San Antonio Sports Hall of Fame banquet
When: Today (Cocktails and silent auction, 6:30 p.m.; dinner and program, 7:30)
Where: Alamodome
Benefits: Proceeds benefit Dreams For Youth, a program of the San Antonio Sports Foundation.
Class of 2005
Bill Rogers: Golf
Reuben Reina: Running
Stacey Johnson: Fencing
Jim Wacker: College football
Ross Davis: Paralympics
Gabriel Rivera: Football

.....The other inductees into the hall of fame are runner Reuben Reina, fencer Stacey Johnson, football star Gabe Rivera, football coach Jim Wacker and professional golfer Bill Rogers. .....

Rivera, who graduated from Jefferson High School, was an All-America defensive lineman at Texas Tech and a first-round draft pick in the NFL. .....

Gabe Rivera file
Career recap: All-City linebacker for Jefferson in 1978 ... Ranks seventh on Texas Tech's all-time sack list with 14 ... Honorable mention All-America choice at Tech in 1980 ... First-team All-America and All-Southwest Conference choice and earned Tech's most valuable player award in 1982 ... First-round draft choice of Pittsburgh Steelers in 1983

:hat "Seņor Sack"

I remember watching ESPN (I think) the day Gabe was drafted by Pittsburgh they were showing highlights from a game, Texas Tech vs. Pitt, they spot shadowed Rivera who a defensive lineman and Tony Dorsett who had just run past the line & Rivera, they showed Rivera running down Dorsett from behind. :wow
That dude was big and fast.

mouse
02-10-2005, 12:29 PM
I went to jeff with that vato. I used to live 7 house down from him, I could tell you some cool stories. Back in the day before the drug testing...BRB I need to go burn one...

FromWayDowntown
02-10-2005, 12:50 PM
I remember watching ESPN (I think) the day Gabe was drafted by Pittsburgh they were showing highlights from a game, Texas Tech vs. Pitt, they spot shadowed Rivera who a defensive lineman and Tony Dorsett who had just run past the line & Rivera, they showed Rivera running down Dorsett from behind. :wow

Gabe was obviously a player, and it's really sad that his career ended as it did. When I was a student at Trinity, I would see him at Alamo Stadium, pushing his chair up the incline of the parking lot every day, over and over again. Can't help but admire him.

But, Taco, with all due respect -- it's not possible that Rivera was chasing down Tony Dorsett while Tony was at Pitt. Dorsett was drafted in April 1977. Since Gabe graduated from Jeff in 1979, he would have been a sophomore in high school at that point. By the time Gabe was at Tech, Dorsett had already played in 2 super bowls -- I'm 100% certain that he wasn't at Pitt anymore.

Jimcs50
02-10-2005, 12:56 PM
I
remember watching ESPN (I think) the day Gabe was drafted by Pittsburgh they were showing highlights from a game, Texas Tech vs. Pitt, they spot shadowed Rivera who a defensive lineman and Tony Dorsett who had just run past the line & Rivera, they showed Rivera running down Dorsett from behind.

The only person that ran Dorsett down from behind was Darrell Green....another Texan, but he did it when he was a Redskin. :smokin

Taco
02-10-2005, 02:33 PM
Gabe was obviously a player, and it's really sad that his career ended as it did. When I was a student at Trinity, I would see him at Alamo Stadium, pushing his chair up the incline of the parking lot every day, over and over again. Can't help but admire him.

But, Taco, with all due respect -- it's not possible that Rivera was chasing down Tony Dorsett while Tony was at Pitt. Dorsett was drafted in April 1977. Since Gabe graduated from Jeff in 1979, he would have been a sophomore in high school at that point. By the time Gabe was at Tech, Dorsett had already played in 2 super bowls -- I'm 100% certain that he wasn't at Pitt anymore.

Well who am I thinking of?
I know it was Pitt and I know it was a (Famous) Running Back from behind
unless I'm off my rocker :lol

Help :depressed

exstatic
02-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Swervin' Curvan Richards?

FromWayDowntown
02-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Pitt's top runner back in that era was Bryan Thomas.

Nbadan
02-11-2005, 03:26 AM
I had the pleasure of watching Gabe Rivera play for Jefferson many times. He was simply a man playing amongst boys. In HS he played tight-end and once when he had the ball, I watched him take a shocking stand-up hit from a notorious hitter on another team, the other guy simply melted away while Riviera kept on running, kept on pumping those legs. It was simply incredible.

Gabe's dad was also one of my HS coaches at the time, I was saddened when he passed away a few years back.

EliRodz
02-14-2005, 10:33 PM
:elephant I was a freshman at Texas Tech when Senor Sack was a senior.
I used to ride the campus bus with him. The joke on campus was that the McDonalds on 19th Street, across from TTU had to put somebody outside to change the numbers on the sign, back when Mickie D's used to keep count of the number of burgers sold! :lol He could put away the food! Great guy too. Too bad he was not a part of a great Steelers team.....He was supposed to be the anchor of the "new" Steel Curtain............sigh...... :depressed

Nbadan
02-14-2005, 11:39 PM
When Gabe would come to see his dad there was no mistaking him for anyone else. He almost took the size of the whole hallway, and I'm a pretty big guy myself, but Gabe, geez. When he had his traffic accident that ended his career...geez..the whole situation tore his Dad apart, but Coach Rivera kept on going. I gotta give a lot of credit to that old man. One of my favorite coaches.

Smackie Chan
02-15-2005, 06:42 AM
After many games 1/2 of us went to Jim's they had like a drive in. kinda like the movie American graffitti.The other half of us went to Mr. Pizza's Dicso/Pizza club.

No matter where I went I got bashed by many, I f I went to Mr Pizza? Many on the drill team would tell me to go to Jim's or to a party, For some reason back in 77-79
Many parents where not at home. I don't remember seeing one parent other than Gabes Dad who always wanted Him home early, Since I lived down the street i would go by Gabe's house and you could find us in the front yard listening to Budgie or UFO

If I went to Jim's after the game? Many of the girls at Mr.Pizza would be dancing with dudes from Edison and Holmes high school, so I had to be slick and go to Jim's hang out with Gabe Hamburger and others. then I would sneak off and go home to put on my skin tight copper colored corduroys pants and my platform shoes

Come to think of it I was a lot taller in high school than I am now...

One thing I never forgot about Gabe was he was real nice, A guy for his size I would think would be mean but he was like Andre the giant, The dudes head was huge, I remember in the shower during PE I would wonder If I should check out his packaged but I never had the nerve, Mine was small. I used to wait till everyone else hit the showers before I went,

By the time Gabe hit the NFL I was in the Army and I remember watching him play. He was like a young Tony Ayala they both had the world by the balls at one time.

The only Difference? Tony had a choice in his out come in life , Gabe never had that luxury.

Taco
02-15-2005, 08:32 AM
After many games 1/2 of us went to Jim's they had like a drive in. kinda like the movie American graffitti.The other half of us went to Mr. Pizza's Dicso/Pizza club.

The Jims on Fred. and West Ave ?

I think there's a Pawn shop there now