22. Red McCombs
23. Doug Moe
24. Terry Cummings
25. Mario Elie
26. Willie Anderson
27. Billy Paultz
28. Robert McDermott

------------------------------

To pass the time until the start of preseason, let's see how SpursTalk.com ranks the Top 50 Spurs. Those eligible for the list include all players, coaches and owners. I don't want to define "top" too narrowly, but I think the best way to do it would be to think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport.

For more information on what we are doing, check out this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103061).

In this thread, we will vote for spot number 29. Please place your vote. If you will, also explain in this thread why you voted how you did.

Thanks.

P.S.

Poll options listed in alphabetical order. If you want to vote for someone not on the list, post in the thread and I'll add the person.

Voting will end 2AM CST Sunday morning.

Please vote only once.

Pero
09-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Why is there no Beno? :D

urunobili
09-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Jax, Del Negro and Barry can kiss my ass... Budenholzer is the ONLY assistant coach to be with for the 4 rings ride... no one knows the system better and his relationship with the players is a fundamental part of the Spurs success Mike Bud should be the FIRST of them all.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Barry can kiss my ass... .

You were just complaining yesterday why Barry wasn't on the list yet.

jdaveah
09-13-2008, 10:22 AM
It's time for the Worm. It may have ended badly but the excitement when he was here was off the charts.

Dex
09-13-2008, 10:33 AM
This is the first time I've repped SJax, but I had a hard time seeing him as less important than Olberding. Sure, Mark may have had a more prolonged career in San Antonio. But Jackson was arguably more important for his one great playoff run, than Olberding was for his years in San Antonio. He put up good numbers...but wouldn't have a lot of players in his spot?

Jackson was a killer in '02-'03. He brought a swagger to this team that still has never quite been refilled. He was equally responsible as anyone for helping that team break out for their second championship and prevent the Spurs from being a one-hit wonder. With so much change pivoting on the results of that year, it's hard to say if the Spurs would really be the same if it weren't for him.

Spurminator
09-13-2008, 10:37 AM
SJax = Jaren Jackson

ChuckD
09-13-2008, 12:10 PM
SJax = Jaren Jackson

Epic Fail.

If we hadn't lowballed him, we could be sitting on anywhere from 5 to 7 LoBs instead of 4. Captain Jack never would have gone into the tank after getting his contract. He was so much more mentally tough than Jaren that it's ludicrous to even compare them.

Spurminator
09-13-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm speaking in terms of their contributions to the Spurs. I loved SJack and I wanted him back. But he was here for two years and is best known for hitting some big shots in the Playoffs.

MannyIsGod
09-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Sjax < Brent Barry. Barry came back after being fucking traded while Jax bolted for more money the first chance he got. And bolted for shit money at that.

ChuckD
09-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Sjax < Brent Barry. Barry came back after being fucking traded while Jax bolted for more money the first chance he got. And bolted for shit money at that.

:lmao If we're talking loyalty to the org, then they're the same. Barry didn't come back for the Spurs, he came back, briefly, for his teammates. He then opted out of his extra year that the Spurs gave him, and bolted for shit money in H-Town.

Kona
09-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Budenholzer.

baseline bum
09-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Jack bailed because of how many years the Spurs were offering, which is likely why Barry did too.

baseline bum
09-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Besides, Jack has proved that it was RC's fuckup and not his with his continued improvement since leaving the Spurs. That was a monumental mistake by RC to lowball Jack.

manufor3
09-13-2008, 04:48 PM
jax

The Truth #6
09-13-2008, 06:32 PM
I voted for the Worm. His meltdown was lamentable but he brought the Spurs up to new heights. If he hadn't been such a badass then no one would have felt letdown. He gave 50 his best year in the league and helped him get his MVP. People's emotions are getting in the way. If we had won the title that year he would have been top ten, yet because we didn't people completely forget him. That makes no sense. His meltdown was symptomatic of the team's meltdown that year, not a deviation from it. David got toasted by Hakeem. We got outplayed all around and Hill gave no leadership to right the ship.

Yes, he had flaws but all players at this point in the voting have flaws otherwise they would be top ten and there wouldn't be any discussion about it.

For me the top ones left are: Rodman, SJax, Olberding, Presti, and probably Barry though I think people are confusing how the staff misused Barry for his actual contributions, which once again is an example of emotions and narrow historical perspective.

I'm sure some could make the argument that the original Gino, Gene Banks, had just as good a career as Barry, and again this is not a slam on Barry because he was one of my favorite Spurs while he was here but we're talking about the history of the franchise now.

ChuckD
09-13-2008, 07:03 PM
I voted for the Worm. His meltdown was lamentable but he brought the Spurs up to new heights. If he hadn't been such a badass then no one would have felt letdown. He gave 50 his best year in the league and helped him get his MVP. People's emotions are getting in the way. If we had won the title that year he would have been top ten, yet because we didn't people completely forget him. That makes no sense. His meltdown was symptomatic of the team's meltdown that year, not a deviation from it. David got toasted by Hakeem. We got outplayed all around and Hill gave no leadership to right the ship.

Yes, he had flaws but all players at this point in the voting have flaws otherwise they would be top ten and there wouldn't be any discussion about it.

For me the top ones left are: Rodman, SJax, Olberding, Presti, and probably Barry though I think people are confusing how the staff misused Barry for his actual contributions, which once again is an example of emotions and narrow historical perspective.

I'm sure some could make the argument that the original Gino, Gene Banks, had just as good a career as Barry, and again this is not a slam on Barry because he was one of my favorite Spurs while he was here but we're talking about the history of the franchise now.

No one has forgotten Rodman, believe me. He didn't melt down, he fucking quit on the team and broke the defense. Every other player, including David, was playing their asses off. The D plan was to let David take Hakeem solo and the team would take whatever Hakeem damage was done, and stop their shooters, since that was who killed the other teams with long distance bombs. I guess we should thank the worm, though. He made Horry the player he became by giving him TONS of open looks in critical games while cheating off him for rebounds, and RoHo later helped us to two titles.

urunobili
09-13-2008, 07:23 PM
You were just complaining yesterday why Barry wasn't on the list yet.

well... he is probably the player on the list with more rings... and about winning Bud has 4... who else get close to that kind of contribution to the franchise?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2008, 07:26 PM
well... he is probably the player on the list with more rings... and about winning Bud has 4... who else get close to that kind of contribution to the franchise?

When ranking players individually, it's not all about the rings. If this list were in order by number of championships the player was a member of, you would have a pretty fucked up list.

baseline bum
09-13-2008, 07:46 PM

Does that mean Kerr is equal to Robinson?

baseline bum
09-13-2008, 07:58 PM

That's what you're voting for in a must-win game 2, down 0-1.

R4ZgvYu-17k

Ig-IZ7rdQWw

MqVmqrnJGAg

The Truth #6
09-13-2008, 10:55 PM
That's hilarious. I like how you framed the argument down to a single game. I'm looking at their overall contribution while they were a Spur. I'm guessing you're voting for SJax. If that's what you're implying, then that's fine. I like SJax as well, however he too had his problems.

I'm trying to find the best player that's still left at this point in the process. Rodman, warts and all, is the best player still on the list. He put up big numbers while he was here and that shouldn't be disregarded. Again, all players at this point are going to have problems otherwise they would have been picked already. If people want to get emotional about it, that's fine.

baseline bum
09-13-2008, 11:43 PM
What do Rodman's numbers mean if he quits on the team in the playoffs? He would have been a decent fantasy player, but how can a guy who didn't care at all about winning be considered one of the top Spurs players ever? Explain how him shooting three threes in the first quarter of game 2 is anything but a sick joke. Even after the Spurs managed to climb out of that 0-2 hole to even the series at 2-2, Rodman had to make himself a distraction again. What kind of loser skips the beginning of practice before game 5 to force the coach's hand into benching him in the middle of a winnable conference finals? Fuck Rodman, anyone who followed the team then knows he gave nothing in what was then the most important series the franchise had ever been in.

KEDA
09-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Fuck, I meant Steven Jackson, not Jaren Jackson, son of a bitch.