PDA

View Full Version : Livingston workouts attracting interest

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Livingston workouts attracting interest
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Free-agent guard Shaun Livingston, fighting back from a devastating knee injury, had private workouts with the Portland Trail Blazers and Minnesota Timberwolves in the past 48 hours and league sources expect him to sign with one of three teams next week.

Livingston worked out in Portland on Friday, and two league sources believed the Blazers are the favorites to sign the ex-Los Angeles Clippers guard. Still, it is unclear whether Portland general manager Kevin Pritchard has been convinced enough to add yet another guaranteed contract to his roster.

Minnesota executives Jim Stack, Fred Hoiberg and coach Randy Wittman traveled to Chicago on Thursday to watch Livingston at Tim Grover’s Attack Athletics facility. The Wolves, sources said, were sold on the workout and want to sign him.

The Miami Heat are still in strong contention for Livingston, a 6-foot-7 point guard.

Livingston suffered a devastating knee injury in February 2007, tearing three of the four major muscles in the knee. He missed the rest of the 2006-07 season and all of last season before the Clippers renounced his rights in July after signing Baron Davis and drafting Indiana’s Eric Gordon.

Livingston just turned 23 and several franchises were still intrigued with the tremendous possibility he had shown with the Clippers. He was the fourth overall pick in the 2004 draft out of high school and had just started to honor his talent in 2007 when he blew out his knee.

League executives who’ve watched him estimate his return to full strength at anywhere from 70 to 85 percent. He has shown some of his old explosion in workouts but has tired easily and clearly needs more time to build back the strength in that knee. Signing him would be an investment for the future, with few short-term returns.

“I don’t think you’ll get anything out of him this year,” one NBA executive said. “He’s going to need a year to adjust.”

Earlier in the week, Livingston had told friends that he believed the Heat were the most interested in him, but that was before the workouts with Minnesota and Portland.

In fact, Miami has been exploring a lot of possibilities, including, three sources told Yahoo! Sports, recent discussions with the Chicago Bulls on several trade scenarios that included Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks for unsigned restricted free agent Ben Gordon, Larry Hughes and possibly Joakim Noah. Yet, those talks died within the past seven to 10 days and sources said there was no indication they would be restarted.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=At9W8SjuPKze.YfN5pIlHxe8vLYF?slug=aw-livingstonworkout091208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

duncan228
09-13-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm rooting for him. It had to be hard to come back from that injury. I happened to be watching the game it happened in and it was stomach turning. I hope he lands with a team, after the work he's put in he deserves to play.

Rip-Hamilton32
09-13-2008, 12:29 PM
the raptors should have looked in on him now that they only have 1 pg

balli
09-13-2008, 12:31 PM
I for one hope he goes to Miami. Keep him as far away from the NW division as possible. It sucks, I used to like the Blazers, but their constant acquisition of young talent is seriously souring my once amicable feelings towards them. Anyway, good for Shaun.

monosylab1k
09-13-2008, 12:44 PM
He's probably too good to play for the Mavericks, he'd eat into Stackhouse's minutes and we all know that can't happen.

Dex
09-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Wow, I just went back and watched that injury. I don't even want to post it. Very grotesque.

Glad to hear the guy has been able to recover, and I really wish him the best wherever he ends up.

Sissiborgo
09-13-2008, 01:58 PM
the raptors should have looked in on him now that they only have 1 pg

true.....

mogrovejo
09-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Denver should give him a look. And he should make Denver his priority.

Red Hawk #21
09-13-2008, 02:57 PM
I hope he can recover, I really used to like his game before he got hurt.

timtonymanu
09-13-2008, 07:09 PM
imo, a good place would be denver. it will give them a legit pg.

please livingston not the blazers, they already have 3 decent pgs. if i were the blazers, id be done making deals.

mavs>spurs2
09-13-2008, 07:13 PM
So did the Clippers cut him? Or did his contract just run out?

Dex
09-13-2008, 07:14 PM

Livingston suffered a devastating knee injury in February 2007, tearing three of the four major muscles in the knee. He missed the rest of the 2006-07 season and all of last season before the Clippers renounced his rights in July after signing Baron Davis and drafting Indiana’s Eric Gordon.

balli
09-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Shouldn't the article say ligaments as opposed to muscles?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2008, 07:17 PM

contract ran out

mavs>spurs2
09-13-2008, 07:32 PM

contract ran out

so which is it? isn't renouncing rights pretty much the same thing as being cut?

Dex
09-13-2008, 07:51 PM
so which is it? isn't renouncing rights pretty much the same thing as being cut?

Sounds like the contract expired and they just let his rights go.

Per his Wiki:

Livingston's contract with the Clippers expired after the 2007-08 season, and the team renounced its rights to him. The Clippers had declined to make Livingston a $5.8 million qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Livingston

mavs>spurs2
09-13-2008, 08:12 PM
i wonder what are the odds of him coming back and being an impact player. that's the type of inury where most people would be glad just to be able to walk again without crutches or severe arthritis in that knee.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2008, 08:17 PM

No, his contract ran out, and they re-nounced his rights, which means they allowed him to switch from a restricted free agent to an unrestricted free agent.

Biggems
09-13-2008, 09:14 PM
I wouldnt mind the Spurs giving him a look. Because of our depth, he could take the year to ease into our system, as well as work with Chip to help maximize his shooting potential. Plus, I am sure his pricetag right now would be low.

angelbelow
09-13-2008, 09:30 PM
best of luck to him.

Ill Cosby
09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
This dude need to put some weight on...you got to be too skinny for your knee to buckle under you

duncan228
09-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Pritchard on Livingston: 'I need more time' (http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/09/pritchard_on_livingston_i_need.html)
by Jason Quick, The Oregonian

Free agent point guard Shaun Livingston was in Portland this week for a physical, and Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard said he will decided this weekend whether the team will approach Livingston's agent about a contract.

Livingston, who missed all of last season recovering from a catastrophic knee injury, worked out for the Blazers last week in Tucson, Ariz. After the workout, the Blazers requested Livingston's medical records and for the 23-year-old to be examined by Blazers doctors.

"I need another 24-to-48 hours to think about it,'' Pritchard said Friday afternoon. "I haven't sat down and done all the pros and cons. Once I do that, we will come to a decision about where we want to go. And even if we do decide to move forward, whether a deal gets done or not is another question.''

Livingston was the fourth overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft. He played nearly three seasons for the Los Angeles Clippers before blowing out his left knee in February of 2007. While attempting a fast-break layin against Charlotte, Livingston tore his anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament, medial collateral ligament and lateral meniscus. He also dislocated his patella. He was averaging 9.5 points and 5.2 assists at the time of his injury.

The Clippers waived Livingston in July.

Livingston's agent, Henry Thomas, said the doctor who performed reconstructive surgery on Livingston's knee has cleared him for competitive play.

"The knee is pretty much recovered,'' Thomas said. "He has been cleared to play 5-on-5. Now, he's not where he needs to be from a conditioning standpoint ... and in terms of how much he plays and how the knee responds, only time will tell.''

Livingston has also worked out for Minnesota and Miami, and Thomas said his client is looking for a situation where he "feels comfortable with the coaching staff and the team.''

Blazers coach Nate McMillan was at the Tucson workout along with Pritchard and assistant general manager Tom Penn.

"I think Portland has been impressive ... in all ways,'' Thomas said.

The Blazers will open training camp Sept. 30 with 14 guaranteed contracts, one shy of the league maximum. They have already extended training camp invitations to forward Luke Jackson, center Steven Hill and guard Jamaal Tatum, but Pritchard has made no commitment to entering the season with 15 players.

A potential sticking point could be how each party believes Livingston should be used this season. The Blazers already have three/four point guards in Steve Blake, Sergio Rodriguez, Jerryd Bayless and Brandon Roy, and don't appear to be looking for immediate help at that position. One or two years down the road, maybe.

But Thomas made it clear that he would like to find a situation where Livingston would play this season.

"If he's healthy enough to play, I don't see why he wouldn't want to play,'' Thomas said.

However, Thomas would not reveal what Livingston's priorities were in terms of playing immediately.

Indazone
09-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Make him scope his knee before signing him like Landry

JMarkJohns
09-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Terry Porter and Dan Majerle were present for one of the most recent workouts. I doubt they are seriously interested, but obtaining a gauge of his ability as a backup in case Dragic falls apart isn't a bad idea.