PDA

View Full Version : Karl Rove himself admits McCain has gone too far

TheMadHatter
09-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Karl Rove had some rare criticism for McCain Sunday.

(CNN) – Former Bush adviser Karl Rove suggested Sunday that John McCain had gone “one step too far” in some of his recent ads attacking Barack Obama.

Rove has leveled similar criticism against Obama. “McCain has gone in some of his ads — similarly gone one step too far,” he told Fox News, “and sort of attributing to Obama things that are, you know, beyond the ‘100 percent truth’ test.”

AFBlue
09-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Saw this on CNN and surprisingly they didn't take it out of context....adding that Rove later criticized Obama's campaign for going too far as well.

Besides, this is Karl Rove....I think you can take this criticism with a tiny (microscopic) grain of salt.

TheMadHatter
09-14-2008, 06:30 PM
This is Karl Rove criticizing his own party. Think about it.

You gotta fuck up pretty bad for Karl Rove to be saying anything.

Mr. Peabody
09-14-2008, 06:31 PM
This is part of the Republican talking point for that day that the negativity is the fault of both campaigns. It looks like an attempt to get away from the media's recent criticisms of the McCain Sex Ed and Lipstick ad.

Biernutz
09-14-2008, 06:41 PM
I guess the Obama camp hasn't gone to far yet --from the same CNN article-

The Obama campaign immediately leaped on the quote.
"In case anyone was still wondering whether John McCain is running the sleaziest, most dishonest campaign in history, today Karl Rove -- the man who held the previous record -- said McCain's ads have gone too far," said campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor, in a statement sent to reporters minutes after Rove's on-air comments.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/14/campaign.wrap/index.html?iref=newssearch

AFBlue
09-14-2008, 06:44 PM
I guess the Obama camp hasn't gone to far yet --from the same CNN article-

The Obama campaign immediately leaped on the quote.
"In case anyone was still wondering whether John McCain is running the sleaziest, most dishonest campaign in history, today Karl Rove -- the man who held the previous record -- said McCain's ads have gone too far," said campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor, in a statement sent to reporters minutes after Rove's on-air comments.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/14/campaign.wrap/index.html?iref=newssearch

Oh this will be a talking point for a while until Rove retracts, the whole story is told, or the McCain campaign combats it.

What I hope it will do is stop the negative campaigning....but that isn't going to happen.

TheMadHatter
09-14-2008, 06:45 PM
If McCain stops the negative campaigning he LOSES. He needs to keep spreading lies about Obama and his own record in order to win this campaign.

If it becomes about the issues then he is done for.

baseline bum
09-14-2008, 06:46 PM
If McCain stops the negative campaigning he LOSES. He needs to keep spreading lies about Obama and his own record in order to win this campaign.

No shit. What else is McCain going to run on? That going to war with Iran and Russia and keeping Bush's tax cuts for the rich in place are what's good for this nation?

Biernutz
09-14-2008, 06:48 PM

And the liberal press does the dirty work for the Obama camp!

TheMadHatter
09-14-2008, 07:03 PM
That's why you don't criticize the media during your conventions. The media has always been a friend of McCain, until he started denouncing and attacking them for asking questions about Palin. He bit the hand that was feeding him, and now he is reaping the consequences.

There is a reason why Obama hasn't really jumped into the mud and started slinging shit all over the place like McCain. He doesn't need to.

Biernutz
09-14-2008, 07:07 PM
That's why you don't criticize the media during your conventions. The media has always been a friend of McCain, until he started denouncing and attacking them for asking questions about Palin. He bit the hand that was feeding him, and now he is reaping the consequences.

There is a reason why Obama hasn't really jumped into the mud and started slinging shit all over the place like McCain. He doesn't need to.

Obama --mud-- never--no mud slinging here --- that statement is like putting lipstick on a pig!

Anti.Hero
09-14-2008, 07:36 PM

Intelligent people can easily see through the media bias aka LEAVE BARRACK ALONE!!!

boutons_
09-14-2008, 07:40 PM
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-09-14-McCainsallegiance1.jpg
McWorse has not attacked the media much since he unleashed his pitbull bitch.

The media is now on McNoMedicalRecords because he and his bitch have been caught lying repeatedly, daily, and haven't stopped. MSM, McLiar, takes one to know one.

TheMadHatter
09-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Intelligent people can easily see through the media bias aka LEAVE BARRACK ALONE!!!

lipstick on a pig? for 2 days straight?

AFBlue
09-14-2008, 08:15 PM

You can be "negative" without being slanderous and lying. There are many issues that the American people vote on and McCain can accentuate his advantages while effectively pointing out Obama's disadvantages.

1) McCain has more experience and demonstrated leadership (20+ yrs in military)--goes to CINC and national security argument

2) McCain is proposing tax cuts, not tax increases.

3) McCain has true independent appeal, breaking party lines to sign controversial legislation for the betterment of the country.

If I were his campaign manager, I would focus on the three things above and not keep talking about sex eductation for kindergarteners.

TheMadHatter
09-14-2008, 09:05 PM
You can be "negative" without being slanderous and lying. There are many issues that the American people vote on and McCain can accentuate his advantages while effectively pointing out Obama's disadvantages.

1) McCain has more experience and demonstrated leadership (20+ yrs in military)--goes to CINC and national security argument

2) McCain is proposing tax cuts, not tax increases.

3) McCain has true independent appeal, breaking party lines to sign controversial legislation for the betterment of the country.

If I were his campaign manager, I would focus on the three things above and not keep talking about sex eductation for kindergarteners.

I would advise you to inform yourself on the plans of both candidates because what you are saying to me actually is not true.

1.) Ok I can concede this. But experience != wisdom. I would argue that Obama has already shown greater wisdom in his denouncing of the Iraq War as a distraction and diversion from the real war on terror. I want the US to not be the world's police officer, we have enough problems at home. McCain seems like he'd be all too eager to throw us into another useless war, I want my next President to think before he pulls the trigger.

2.) Wrong. McCain primarily supports tax cuts for the wealthy. If you make > $250,000 then yes McCain will save you more money, but for the vast majority of Americans we save more money with Obama. AND McCain wants to tax your health care benefits, which Obama is not going to do. As far as taxes go, Obama saves me more money than McCain in the tax bracket I am in.

3.) Wrong. McCain HAD an independent appeal. But he has long since sold his soul to win this election. Voted with Bush 100% of the time last year. He is not the Maverick he once was. He has dozens of corporate lobbyists running his campaign and supporting his bid, I'm not going to get fooled into thinking he won't be beholden to them the same way Bush was when he got into office.

florige
09-14-2008, 09:55 PM

Man these debates can't come soon enough. I wish they were tomorrow!!!

AFBlue
09-14-2008, 10:14 PM
I would advise you to inform yourself on the plans of both candidates because what you are saying to me actually is not true.

1.) Ok I can concede this. But experience != wisdom. I would argue that Obama has already shown greater wisdom in his denouncing of the Iraq War as a distraction and diversion from the real war on terror. I want the US to not be the world's police officer, we have enough problems at home. McCain seems like he'd be all too eager to throw us into another useless war, I want my next President to think before he pulls the trigger.

2.) Wrong. McCain primarily supports tax cuts for the wealthy. If you make > $250,000 then yes McCain will save you more money, but for the vast majority of Americans we save more money with Obama. AND McCain wants to tax your health care benefits, which Obama is not going to do. As far as taxes go, Obama saves me more money than McCain in the tax bracket I am in.

3.) Wrong. McCain HAD an independent appeal. But he has long since sold his soul to win this election. Voted with Bush 100% of the time last year. He is not the Maverick he once was. He has dozens of corporate lobbyists running his campaign and supporting his bid, I'm not going to get fooled into thinking he won't be beholden to them the same way Bush was when he got into office.

1) Your opinion on his judgement...not a fact. I was simply pointing out that those who wanted more than words to refer to would have at least something in McCain.

Quickly to point of conviction....McCain believed so much in the troop surge that he was willing to wage his political future on it, whereas Obama missed an opportunity to make a statement of opposition to the war in Iraq by voting for at least one funding bill for the Iraq war. Just an observation.

2) He is proposing tax cuts for all tax-paying Americans, regardless of wealth. Unlike Barack Obama, who will increase taxes on the wealthy to pay for programs that they will likely never have the benefit of using...a redistribution of wealth. Not only that, there is some merit to the argument that taxing the wealthy will stunt the growth of small and medium business, which is likely to enhance job loss.

3) McCain has been at the forefront of bi-partisan legislation for his entire career in Washington. Just because he was for the Iraq war and now approves of the Bush tax cuts does not make him a party favorite. And with all that included, he still has ten times more examples of leading bi-partisan legislation than Barack Obama...who so far has only talked a good game.

Talk v. Action....that's could be a big talking point.

Obviously you and I disagree on these three issues, but you see we just had a debate about it without going into slanderous, lying politics....thus proving my point.

Wild Cobra
09-14-2008, 10:14 PM
I didn't see the piece with Rove, but here's what comes to mind:

The 2000 and 2004 elections were won without outright lying on the part of the ads authorized by president Bush. They at times took the truth out of context, but they were always true. Some of the things coming out of the McCain campaign are being stretch. This is a shame, because the truth works just fine against demonrats.

TheMadHatter
09-14-2008, 11:05 PM
^Amen. This is the debate we need to be having.

Not lipstick on a pig.

SpursFanFirst
09-14-2008, 11:28 PM
This was also taken from the article:

"Rove has leveled similar criticism against Obama.

But I like how it obviously points out the part about McCain.

AFBlue
09-15-2008, 06:28 AM
This was also taken from the article:

"Rove has leveled similar criticism against Obama.

But I like how it obviously points out the part about McCain.

This is what upsets me with the media. To me, it's not their job to create the story and frame it like this....that should be the other campaign's job.

It pisses me off that the media is reporting this with a slant.

boutons_
09-15-2008, 07:51 AM
"Rove later criticized Obama's campaign for going too far as well."

So that's his real ploy here, lying about HUSSEIN as just as bad as McWorse.

Since when is Rove a reference point for truth? He said Congress forced dubya into invading Iraq.

This is same tactic as the pitbull bitch saying kids should be allowed to debate science vs creationism in public schools (what other subjects do kids debate in schools?), trying to place a religious, childish fairy tail on the same level as hard science, a standard creationist ploy.

Wild Cobra
09-15-2008, 03:19 PM
This is what upsets me with the media. To me, it's not their job to create the story and frame it like this....that should be the other campaign's job.

It pisses me off that the media is reporting this with a slant.

Get used to it. It's the only way democrats can win.

PixelPusher
09-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Get used to it. It's how Karl Rove won the last 2 elections.

ffy

fyatuk
09-15-2008, 03:52 PM

McCain supports reducing the corporate tax, not individual tax. Has has stated that he will keep the current top income tax rate, and the 15% capital gains tax rate, but does want to "phase-out" the broken Alternative Minimum Tax system that does covers a few income methods not covered by normal tax, but also ends up double taxing and generally screwing over the people forced to pay it, which should be 20-25% of taxpayers by 2010 according to the CBO.

He wants to lower the tax rates on everyone except that top bracket.

McCain apparently wants to tax the employer share of benefits, but also grant a $5k credit to cover those (which just seems weird to me).

A lot of people will indeed be better off tax-wise with Obama's plan than McCain's (confirmed by numerous fact checking organizations), but you should at least be accurate with McCain's proposal and realize that many people see a better economic impact from McCain's proposals that would offset the slight savings they'd get from Obama's plan.

boutons_
09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Rove is doing the framing here, framing HUSSEIN as bad a liar as McWorse.