PDA

View Full Version : Donated Blood

MiamiHeat
09-14-2008, 07:22 PM
I donated some blood

timvp
09-14-2008, 07:29 PM
How old are you that your birthday is so important that you need full range of motion in both of your arms? If you went there for the sake of a sick newborn, you probably should have just manned up and finished off the last half bag.

Slydragon
09-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Poor baby you left hanging,

Ok that was mean. You was in a mess up situation, so I don't know what I would have done myself. BTW Type O Negative the band Rocks

Anti.Hero
09-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Hope the baby has a better doctor than tweedle dum and tweedle dee.

Draw it yourself and ebay it.

baseline bum
09-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Donating blood is stupid. If they're going to sell it, they better fucking pay the donor too.

MiamiHeat
09-14-2008, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't be able to drive home with no arms in bad weather and I wouldn't be able to enjoy my birthday with my fiance. We had plans.

Secondly, I wasn't about to trust them with my OTHER arm after what they did to the first one.

Fabbs
09-14-2008, 08:10 PM
You may be interested in knowing there are non blood substitutes that work much better then blood.
Also zero complications ie AIDS, Hep, 242 other bugs that can and often are transmitted via blood transfusions.

ShoogarBear
09-14-2008, 08:14 PM
You may be interested in knowing there are non blood substitutes that work much better then blood.
Also zero complications ie AIDS, Hep, 242 other bugs that can and often are transmitted via blood transfusions.

Whaaaaaaat?

Fabbs
09-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Whaaaaaaat?
carry oxygen much better, many other functions.
I can pm you how to access all the information. It could be too upsetting to many who have been told blood is the way and the only way.

Used to be a "funny because it's true" joke circulating in NYCity hospitals.

What kind of patients do not take blood transfusions?

"Only surgeons, doctors and nurses."

ShoogarBear
09-14-2008, 08:35 PM
carry oxygen much better, many other functions.
I can pm you how to access all the information. It could be too upsetting to many who have been told blood is the way and the only way.

Used to be a "funny because it's true" joke circulating in NYCity hospitals.

What kind of patients do not take blood transfusions?

"Only surgeons, doctors and nurses."

Part of my job involves research using HBOCs (hemoglobin-based oxygen carrying solutions). If you think they are as good as blood with "zero complications", you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Ever heard of pulmonary hypertension? Ever heard of the Baxter clinical trial which showed increased mortality with HBOCs in a randomized study?

The following is a link to an article published in May 2008 in the Journal of the American Medical Association. There is considerable controversy about this article and the methods used to draw its conclusions, and it is probably too critical of HBOCs, but it at least points out some of the issues with using them:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/299.19.jrv80007#REF-JRV80007-14

HBOCs may ultimately have some clinical usage in specific situations, but to say that they are already available as an all-purpose replacement for blood is just flat wrong.

Slydragon
09-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Just post it, PM? what are you CIAblood unit?

ShoogarBear
09-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Donating blood is stupid. If they're going to sell it, they better fucking pay the donor too.

Obviously you or a loved one has never been in a situation where blood products were needed.

Fabbs
09-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Obviously you or a loved one has never been in a situation where blood products were needed.
woops, typo.

baseline bum
09-14-2008, 09:17 PM

But they don't just give my blood away, right? If my blood is being sold, I better be getting paid for it.

mrsmaalox
09-14-2008, 09:20 PM

FALSE!!! There is no real substitute for blood.

ChuckD
09-14-2008, 09:24 PM

Actually, those blood substitutes are still in testing, and they are still so dangerous that they don't tell you they're using them or ask your permission.

ShoogarBear
09-14-2008, 09:35 PM
But they don't just give my blood away, right? If my blood is being sold, I better be getting paid for it.

To be honest, I don't know the economics. If they sell it to blood banks just to cover costs, I would think that's acceptable. I doubt if they're making a profit off it.

BushDynasty
09-14-2008, 09:44 PM
First, to the OP, sorry for your bad experience.

Otherwide, a number of real civic-minded inDUHviduals posting here. Waiting for Fabbs' response to actual studies proving his point to be totally false. Speaking of which, Fabbs, links to studies supporting your point that disease is "often ... transmitted via blood transfusion" ?

What I know is that if I or a family member needs blood, they get it for free since I donate regularly. If you want to get paid, go give plasma (plus you can give it 2x a week).

Betcha didn't know the Bushes were such a giving bunch, didya?

ShoogarBear
09-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Actually, those blood substitutes are still in testing, and they are still so dangerous that they don't tell you they're using them or ask your permission.

This is not true either.

Any clinical trial in the US requires "informed consent", which means that either the patient or the patient's legal representative must agree to be enrolled in the study.

One special exception is for trials involving trauma patients (e.g., automobile accidents, shootings, stabbings, etc.). For these trials it is almost impossible to obtain informed consent for each patient, because emergency treatment usually has to start before anyone's permission can be obtained. When somebody wants to conduct a clinical trial under these circumstances, "community informed consent" has been used: representatives from the hospital, community, FDA, and other organizations meet and decide whether or not the trial should be conducted and set the rules and methods for monitoring the effectiveness of the therapy. This process always includes some open forums for any member of the community to attend and present their views.

There is at least one HBOC trial in this country for trauma patients which operates using community informed consent.

T Park
09-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I always donate blood.

I have no problem with them if they sell it. Honestly, I'm not that hard up for money, or that selfish to want to be paid for blood that could save someones life.

TDMVPDPOY
09-14-2008, 10:29 PM
he needed his other arm to go home and have wank while the vision of the color the nurse and the white nurse was still fresh in his head......ahahahahhaahaha

dude this aint compulsory, you shouldve ask them to do what naughty nurses do to get more clients

medstudent
09-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Hope the baby has a better doctor than tweedle dum and tweedle dee.

I saved that baby, no thanks to MiamiHeat.

tlongII
09-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Shoog with some serious pwnage in this thread! :lol

tlongII
09-14-2008, 10:54 PM
and MiamiHeat is a PUSSY! I'm O negative too. It's part of the deal. Effing blood banks bug the shit out of me!

MiamiHeat
09-14-2008, 11:23 PM
What?

ALVAREZ6
09-14-2008, 11:35 PM
fuckin bitches man

a lot of the red cross nurses blow.

Spurminator
09-15-2008, 12:03 AM
fuckin bitches man

a lot of the red cross nurses blow.

Yeah but you have to give two full bags for that.

RashoFan
09-15-2008, 01:25 AM
BTW Type O Negative the band Rocks

:tu

Brutalis
09-15-2008, 01:47 AM
I forget what type of blood I have. I used to donate when I got out of high school every couple months. I was told I have the rarest blood type?

Well after the third time donating, when I stood up I got light headed and threw up. I figured it was just a thing so whatever. The next time I donated, I passed out in the hallway. So I quit donating, mainly because I'd rather not pass out in the car ride to wherever I'm going. I'm 6-3 and lanky, that might be the reason I've been told, something about my weight is too low to be donating what I have. But that next time when I passed out, they only did half of what they normal is. So it made no difference to give less.

I get phone calls now and again asking me to donate, and I told them why I don't and was called selfish. Another time I said no, I got called a murderer.

I haven't specifically been told 'we need your blood to save so and so' but that's what they make me feel like. I'm already a damn organ donor, I should not feel bad for saying no to donate blood.

King
09-15-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm not allowed to donate blood, because we lived in Germany for a few years in the 80s. Any idea if they're ever going to overturn that rule?

Trainwreck2100
09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
They've overturned almost everything else.

spurster
09-15-2008, 01:16 PM
To avoid lightheadedness after donating, you should eat a snack and drink plenty of fluids before you donate (no, not beer though maybe Bud Light is ok :). At least that works for me.

Fabbs
09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
I have a video and much literature on all said subjects.
However here are some links related
http://www.noblood.org/

This is from the 1980s, much more up to date info available. Even at this date, thousands upon thousands of surgeries were performed successfully using no blood.
http://www.testigosdejehova.org/e/hb/index.htm?article=article_07.htm

ShoogarBear
Part of my job involves research using HBOCs (hemoglobin-based oxygen carrying solutions). If you think they are as good as blood with "zero complications", you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Shoogar,
I should not have said "no complications", rather that no blood and/or procudures using non blood alternatives have been used extensively successfully.

JWs have been working successfully with surgeons and hospitals for eons:
http://www.watchtower.org/e/19931122/article_01.htm

1Parker1
09-15-2008, 04:03 PM
I always have low iron and am unable to donate blood. :(

ShoogarBear
09-15-2008, 08:01 PM
I have a video and much literature on all said subjects.
However here are some links related
http://www.noblood.org/

This is from the 1980s, much more up to date info available. Even at this date, thousands upon thousands of surgeries were performed successfully using no blood.
http://www.testigosdejehova.org/e/hb/index.htm?article=article_07.htm

ShoogarBear
Shoogar,
I should not have said "no complications", rather that no blood and/or procudures using non blood alternatives have been used extensively successfully.

JWs have been working successfully with surgeons and hospitals for eons:
http://www.watchtower.org/e/19931122/article_01.htmOh, so this is a Jehovah's Witness argument. Wish I had known, I would have just stayed out. One shot at this and then I'm done.

Those religious tracts from the Jehovah's Witnesses are appallingly misleading. Yeah, "thousands of surgeries" have been performed where blood wasn't used. You know why? Because blood wasn't needed! That's like saying "thousands of soldiers policemen do their duties without guns, therefore we have proved they don't need guns".

Getting a transfusion would be very unusual during an appendectomy or a gall bladder removal. They purposely avoided mentioning things like people with cardiac disease, who need a higher hemoglobin to prevent angina, or gunshot wound victims, or cancer patients receving chemotherapy.

They just rehashed medical literature developed by clinical investigations over the years that has tried to determined at what point transfusions are necessary to maintain adequate tissue oxygenation. Those tracts make it sound as if surgeons are looking to transfuse blood at the first opportunity. It hasn't been accepted practice to routinely transfuse for hemoglobins greater than 10 for over a decade, and miminizing the amount of transfusions used has always been a goal. Crystalloid and colloid solutions have been used for decades when blood was not felt to be necessary (or was unavailable); they aren't any kind of new technology like those tracts try to present. However, there are specific indications for using them and they are NOT a pure substitute for blood. Just about every author of the studies they quoted would say that the JW's twisted their words to suit their own purposes.

Oh, and you notice that NOWHERE in any of the JW's material they mention hemoglobin-based substitutes, because that would present quite a conundrum.

Look, if you're a Jehovah's Witness, fine. Everyone is entitled to refuse whatever types of medical care do not fit in with their religious beliefs. But state that up front so people know where you're coming from. I have no intention of debating anything except the medical issues.

Fabbs
09-15-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm not a JW, i work with them.
"That's because blood wasn't needed".
What a croc.
You do not sound sincere about this blood issue at all.

The JWs have done tons of reasearch on bloodless procedures, if you were sincerely interested i would look up the exact stats.

ShoogarBear
09-15-2008, 09:13 PM
The JWs have adopted a position, and then they cherry-pick "facts" that support that position and ignore what doesn't support it. You haven't given any indication that you are able to read and interpret medical literature other than what has been funneled through the JW site. This isn't a scientific or medical discussion, it's a religious one, and you're welcome to it.

baseline bum
09-15-2008, 09:18 PM
To be honest, I don't know the economics. If they sell it to blood banks just to cover costs, I would think that's acceptable. I doubt if they're making a profit off it.

After doing some research, this does appear to be true for most donation centers I have considered, so I will try to donate a pint sometime in the next month or so.

mrsmaalox
09-16-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm not a JW, i work with them.
"That's because blood wasn't needed".
What a croc.
You do not sound sincere about this blood issue at all.

The JWs have done tons of reasearch on bloodless procedures, if you were sincerely interested i would look up the exact stats.

:huh So you really believe that it is a "croc" that most medical/surgical don't require administration of blood products?

It doesn't really matter what kind of exact stats you have to parrot, if you are getting your information from JW research, you are misinformed. Please try to understand that I say that as respectfully as I can.

I saw your links earlier today and didn't even bother to read when I saw where they were from. That is because, on this particular issue, I am basing my opinions on my real world experience of 13+ yrs in trauma/critical care nursing. First of all, every procedure does not require blood. And blood products are not administered frivolously; every effort is made to minimize blood loss in procedures. In severe trauma, patients are routinely autotransfused (we collect their blood directly from their wounds and give it back to them) because that's the most natural way to do it. But sometimes it isn't enough. JWs come in to trauma units all the time, and so do the elders with their lists of acceptable blood substitutes (excuse me, coconut milk?!). But what they don't seem to understand is that there are no perfect substitutes because human blood has too many components to replace easily. Mostly they push for the products that are "volume expanders" and those definitely have their place in medicine. Sure hypovolemia is the main cause of shock in trauma--so yes those products are helpful in that case only. There are no acceptible substitutes yet for blood components (cells,platelets) and most importantly clotting factors. I'm not one to disrespect anyone for their religious views, but as a health care professional, I can tell you there is nothing more frustrating than wasting precious time explaining this to the elders (the families rarely speak for themselves), while a critically ill human being lays dying in front of you for lack of proper treatment. The funny thing is, when push comes to shove and the family finally sees that death imminent, all previous beliefs fly out the window and most end up consenting to the blood products. Unfortunately, too often the damage has already been done.

Fabbs
09-16-2008, 11:27 AM
:huh So you really believe that it is a "croc" that most medical/surgical don't require administration of blood products?

Not what Shoogar posted. He attempted to say most of the procedures that JWs choose alternatives would not require blood anyways.

It doesn't really matter what kind of exact stats you have to parrot, if you are getting your information from JW research, you are misinformed. Please try to understand that I say that as respectfully as I can.
Why, because their stats are all from accepted sound medical sources?

I saw your links earlier today and didn't even bother to read when I saw where they were from. That is because, on this particular issue, I am basing my opinions on my real world experience of 13+ yrs in trauma/critical care nursing. Their site quotes non witness medical authorities extensively. I can find all kinds of non witness information supporting use of non blood. Here is but one: http://www.time.com/time/reports/heroes/bloodless.html

Mostly they push for the products that are "volume expanders" and those definitely have their place in medicine. Sure hypovolemia is the main cause of shock in trauma--so yes those products are helpful in that case only. Very often loss of volume is one the most important issues surrounding blood loss. The only case where volume expanders are helpful is hupovolemia? I'll ask them what the non blood med community says about that.

There are no acceptible substitutes yet for blood components (cells,platelets) and most importantly clotting factors. Which is why JWs leave cell separation use up to the individual JW to decide if he wants to use it. Yeah you didn't even read their links. No wonder. :lol

The funny thing is, when push comes to shove and the family finally sees that death imminent, all previous beliefs fly out the window and most end up consenting to the blood products. Unfortunately, too often the damage has already been done.
You're just making stuff up now and it is extremely disrespectful. Myself not being a JW and getting to see firsthand the lies that are fabricated against them is plain as day. Are you what they term "disfellowshipped"?

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
I bet MiamiHeat didn't see where this thread was going.

mrsmaalox
09-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Not what Shoogar posted. He attempted to say most of the procedures that JWs choose alternatives would not require blood anyways.

Their site quotes non witness medical authorities extensively. I can find all kinds of non witness information supporting use of non blood. Here is but one: http://www.time.com/time/reports/heroes/bloodless.html

Very often loss of volume is one the most important issues surrounding blood loss. The only case where volume expanders are helpful is hupovolemia? I'll ask them what the non blood med community says about that.

Which is why JWs leave cell separation use up to the individual JW to decide if he wants to use it. Yeah you didn't even read their links. No wonder. :lol

You're just making stuff up now and it is extremely disrespectful. Myself not being a JW and getting to see firsthand the lies that are fabricated against them is plain as day. Are you what they term "disfellowshipped"?

No I was raised Catholic and have never been associated with JW. The only thing I can say to your comments is that I pointed out that I am answering from my personal experiences. You may choose to believe that or not, but that is what I have personally experienced. I have no reason to make anything up, I was there. But I will apologize if I offended you, that is not what I'm about. I will never dispute the role of one's faith in their ability to cope mentally, emotionally, physically with such crisis; I genuinely meant no disrespect to the faith as a whole.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Sorry to hear of your horror story Miamiheat (as well as the turn this thread is taking) but I've been fortunate enough to work somewhere that has blood drives going regularly and I have to say that if there's I have yet to find an easier way to get orange juice, cookies, and a free t-shirt.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-16-2008, 12:06 PM
well, being that no one else picked up on it or has said anything, including me.........

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, MiamiHeat!!!

:lmao

SpursWoman
09-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Sorry to hear of your horror story Miamiheat (as well as the turn this thread is taking) but I've been fortunate enough to work somewhere that has blood drives going regularly and I have to say that if there's I have yet to find an easier way to get orange juice, cookies, and a free t-shirt.

Exactly ... I've got 2 gallon pins already and drawer full of Go Spurs Go t-shirts and ball caps. :tu :lol

I've been very fortunate to never experience Nurse Ratchet when I've gone to donate. Please don't let it dissuade you from donating again in the future. :)

travis2
09-16-2008, 12:24 PM

Their site quotes non witness medical authorities extensively. I can find all kinds of non witness information supporting use of non blood. Here is but one: http://www.time.com/time/reports/heroes/bloodless.html

Very often loss of volume is one the most important issues surrounding blood loss. The only case where volume expanders are helpful is hupovolemia? I'll ask them what the non blood med community says about that.

Which is why JWs leave cell separation use up to the individual JW to decide if he wants to use it. Yeah you didn't even read their links. No wonder. :lol

As I recall, ShoogarBear is an MD...and mrsmaalox has already stated she's a trauma nurse.

What FUCKING RIGHT do you have to claim EITHER ONE OF THEM are "just making stuff up now"?

Fabbs
09-17-2008, 02:55 PM
As I recall, ShoogarBear is an MD...and mrsmaalox has already stated she's a trauma nurse.

What FUCKING RIGHT do you have to claim EITHER ONE OF THEM are "just making stuff up now"?
Abe Lincoln amoung others.

See this hospital? It's called the University Hospital, the University Center for Bloodless Surgery and Medicine in New Jersey. The surgeons there are called "doctors". Many of the staff are called "nurses".
http://www.theuniversityhospital.com/bloodless/html/aboutthecenter/meetthestaff.htm
Here is another one. It's called "The Center for Bloodless Medicine and Surgery at Pennsylvania Hospital". They have hospitals thruout the East Coast that do bloodless surgeries. There surgeons are also called "doctors". Many of their staff are called "nurses". http://www.pennhealth.com/bloodless/management.html

Here is Jeannie Higginbotham. She as a Registered Nurse for 13 years and spent the past 10 years setting up bloodless medicine and surgery programs in a variety of University Teaching Institutions up and down the Eastern Seaboard. http://www.conserveblood.com/

Should i post the 1000s more hospitals in both the U.S. and globally that either are completely bloodless or have a non blood surgery dept? In fact what city or town do you live in? Lets see if yours has one nearby. You could talk to the head surgeon himself about their program. He is a doctor. Of course that might not coincide with what you already believe, right?

Sunshine
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
http://www.yuwantitwhen.com/blog/wp-content/images/train_wreck1.jpg

Flight3107
09-17-2008, 07:20 PM
That looks like a train wreck

Sunshine
09-17-2008, 09:38 PM
That looks like a train wreck

Which is precisely what this thread turned into.

marini martini
09-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Which is precisely what this thread turned into.

Damn sure did!:toast

travis2
09-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Abe Lincoln amoung others.

See this hospital? It's called the University Hospital, the University Center for Bloodless Surgery and Medicine in New Jersey. The surgeons there are called "doctors". Many of the staff are called "nurses".
http://www.theuniversityhospital.com/bloodless/html/aboutthecenter/meetthestaff.htm
Here is another one. It's called "The Center for Bloodless Medicine and Surgery at Pennsylvania Hospital". They have hospitals thruout the East Coast that do bloodless surgeries. There surgeons are also called "doctors". Many of their staff are called "nurses". http://www.pennhealth.com/bloodless/management.html

Here is Jeannie Higginbotham. She as a Registered Nurse for 13 years and spent the past 10 years setting up bloodless medicine and surgery programs in a variety of University Teaching Institutions up and down the Eastern Seaboard. http://www.conserveblood.com/

Should i post the 1000s more hospitals in both the U.S. and globally that either are completely bloodless or have a non blood surgery dept? In fact what city or town do you live in? Lets see if yours has one nearby. You could talk to the head surgeon himself about their program. He is a doctor. Of course that might not coincide with what you already believe, right?

Nice deflection. Now answer my question.

mouse
11-24-2008, 11:33 AM
:tu

Creepn
11-24-2008, 12:43 PM
I seriously doubt this would've happened to your other arm. Since yall knew why the blood stopped flowing (because it was too tight), the nurse and yourself wouldve made certian not to wrap your other arm so tightly to prevent it from happening again.

You panicked like a little bitch and ran off. That's why you got the dirty looks. Pure and simple.

boutons_
11-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Blood is a one of the true wonders of the human body. Synthetic blood is an oxymoron. It can't be both sythetic and blood. That shit's got a very bad track record, but corps keep selling it with FDA running interference.

Even 2-week old real blood has been shown to cause problems. Blood is alive and extremely complex. Being out of a the body for 2 weeks causes degradation.

Best practice: if you're going to have an operation and perhaps will need a transfusion, give your own blood. "autologous", no more than 10 days before the operation and insist any transfusion be with your own blood.

Fabbs
11-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Source? WOAI.

http://www.woai.com/content/troubleshooters/story/Exclusive-San-Antonios-First-Bloodless-Hospital/n5649FpONEuWb2HZL1BFhg.cspx

Exclusive: San Antonio's First Bloodless Hospital

The Trouble Shooters are breaking big medical news. We have learned San Antonio is about to get its first bloodless hospital. That means it will be performing surgeries without giving blood transfusions. In part, because blood is always in such short supply in our area. News 4 Trouble Shooter Jaie Avila has the exclusive details on something many patients didn't realize was possible.
Blood transfusions are standard practice during many surgeries, but now a local hospital says it can do even complicated, open-heart procedures without transfusing blood. It says the surgeries are safe, less expensive and the patients recover faster.
Northeast Baptist Hospital says this is not a medical trial. It is converting the entire hospital into a bloodless facility, with a goal of performing 90% of its surgeries without blood.
How is that possible?
Take the case of Raymond Talbert, who is legally blind, and needs one of his heart valves replaced or he could die.
Talbert cannot receive a blood transfusion because of his religious beliefs. "Because I'm a Jehovah's Witness, I do not take blood, so they recognize that and they respect that so it pleases me immensely."
In the days before the surgery, Talbert's surgeon, Dr. Jerry Kelley, tries to conserve Talbert's own blood by drawing as little of it as possible for testing.
"In the past, you would take a big tube of blood," explains Dr. Kelley. "Now, we're using very small tubes and basically, every test that we're ordering now, we're thinking, 'Do we really need this test? Or can we go by the results we had yesterday?'"
Talbert is also given iron and a special drug to build up his blood cell count in advance of the surgery.
"My faith is strong, I have no questions about doing it this way, and the technology is there to do it," says Talbert.
While performing the operation, Dr. Kelley cauterizes blood vessels as he goes, to minimize bleeding. What blood is lost, goes into a special machine called a cell saver, which filters raymond's blood, and routes it directly back into his veins. They also dilute Talbert's blood with a saline solution, to increase the volume of blood in his body.
Bloodless hospitals in other parts of the country have been using these techniques for years.
"This is nothing experimental. These are procedures being done other places," adds Dr. Kelley. "We have data from around the country to support everything we're doing here."
In fact, Northeast Baptist Hospital has the support of the South Texas Blood & Tissue Center , which says bloodless medicine could help reduce demand for donated blood.
"If a hospital can utilize bloodless medicine and reduce usage in elective surgeries, then that helps trauma patients and surgeries that go unscheduled, to be able to have blood available," says Dr. Rachel Beddard with the South Texas Blood & Tissue Center .
Another heart patient, Larry Harber, has no religious objection to blood. The former firefighter is more concerned about possible infections or complications from receiving donated blood.
"You always have that thought, 'I would prefer to keep my own blood, as opposed to have someone else's blood'," says Harber.
Northeast Baptist Hospital hopes by going bloodless, it will no longer have to delay or cancel surgeries due to a shortage of donated blood. And the move could save the hospital hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.
Just one unit of donated blood can cost a hospital more than $700. By the time the hospital matches the blood and does the transfusion, the cost to the patient can jump to $1,500 or more.
"It's cheaper all the way around," says Dr. Kelley. "The hospital bill's going to be less. You have less chance of having a problem with the blood, and you heal faster, you heal better."
That seems to have been the case with Raymond Talbert.
He was able to leave the hospital four days after his heart surgery. Northeast Baptist says other patients who received the same procedure with blood transfusions spent 15 to 22 days in the hospital.
The average cost of a heart surgery without blood is $16,435. With blood transfusions, the same surgery costs $23,415.
"I feel good about it, I feel positive about it, I'm physically well, I'm alive. I'm not doing any marathons today but I'm here," says Talbert.
Doctors will still be able to give a transfusion if they feel it is medically necessary, or if the patient asks for it, but now when a patient first checks in to the hospital they will automatically be told about the benefits of bloodless surgery.

Phenomanul
11-24-2009, 12:20 PM
I thought it was standard practice to remove the tourniquet a couple of seconds after blood flow is established?

Fabbs
12-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Shoogar Bear, Mrs. Mallox,

Have you checked this hospital out yet?

The Trouble Shooters are breaking big medical news. We have learned San Antonio is about to get its first bloodless hospital. That means it will be performing surgeries without giving blood transfusions. In part, because blood is always in such short supply in our area. News 4 Trouble Shooter Jaie Avila has the exclusive details on something many patients didn't realize was possible.
Blood transfusions are standard practice during many surgeries, but now a local hospital says it can do even complicated, open-heart procedures without transfusing blood. It says the surgeries are safe, less expensive and the patients recover faster.
Northeast Baptist Hospital

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 11:41 AM
LOL I wonder if that baby lived. To save a baby's life would have been one of the best birthday gifts I would have ever received.

Slomo
12-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Is this possible?

Sounds like an interesting idea, but is it really doable/beneficial?

Fabbs
12-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Is this possible?

It's been ongoing for years. Most beneficially.
But for the unbelieving, i figure they could go and see and touch this new San Antonio hospital. Talk to some of their outpatients.

Slomo, do you know anyone in SA who could go in person?

tlongII
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I hope I never end up in that hospital for heart surgery!

I. Hustle
12-29-2009, 05:43 PM
I hope I never end up in that hospital for heart surgery!

Just hope you aren't the same blood type as MiamiHeat.

PakiDan
12-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Whaaaaaaat?

Trueblood. It's invention will bring about the outing of the secret and mystical vampire race into the mainstream. MARK MY WORDS!

Fabbs
02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
The U.S. gov't just granted Englewood Hospital in New Jersey 4.6 million dollars for bloodless surgery. The program will be ran by U.S. army doctors.

http://www.youtube.com/v/YptRya2-ihg&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf& ;hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param

http://www.youtube.com/v/YptRya2-ihg&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1

In part:

Congressman Steve Rothman "When one can reduce complications, reduce infections, reduce durations in the hospital, reduce mortality as a result of surgeries and save money at the same time that's a grand slam."

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Why didnt you flat out say "you fucked up on the other arm" and then explain what it is they did wrong. Then you could have gotten out of that damned vampire haven without feeling like the bad guy.

Imposter
02-11-2010, 09:31 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=14032&dateline=1262504598

Good lawd that's a big ol' ass!

BlackSwordsMan
02-11-2010, 09:53 PM
fight me

Fabbs
05-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Fabbs

Is this possible?

Slomo were you ever able to get a willing San Antonio person to give you their in person report on this San Antonio hospital that joined in using bloodless procedures?

Also wonder how that Englewood, Hospital in New Jersey is doing.

The U.S. gov't just granted Englewood Hospital in New Jersey 4.6 million dollars for bloodless surgery. The program will be ran by U.S. army doctors.

http://www.youtube.com/v/YptRya2-ihg...lor2=0xcfcfcf& ;hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param

http://www.youtube.com/v/YptRya2-ihg..._embedded&fs=1

In part:

Congressman Steve Rothman "When one can reduce complications, reduce infections, reduce durations in the hospital, reduce mortality as a result of surgeries and save money at the same time that's a grand slam."

mrsmaalox
05-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I graduated from nursing school in 1992. We were taught these methods and worked hard to maintain this kind of practice in all areas but primarily in trauma cases. Nothing new here except someone is finally paying attention.

I. Hustle
07-15-2011, 08:55 AM
So MH, do you ever visit that baby's grave site?

MannyIsGod
07-15-2011, 09:13 AM
:lol

MM and Shoog laid some serious ownage here. I don't think I've ever seen a thread where Fabbs listens to others who know more about a subject than him. Ever. He's like the younger and more retarded version of WC.