PDA

View Full Version : Spurs ranked #5 serious threat in the West

Allanon
09-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Hoopsworld article, I agree the Blazers match up with the Lakers well and have always given the Lakers a good game for some odd reason.

Threats in the West
by Eric Pincus
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9960

What a difference a year makes. At this point last season, the Los Angeles Lakers were contemplating trade offers for star guard Kobe Bryant. Now they're arguably the favorite to come out of the Western Conference . . .

Of course 14 other teams will challenge them over the course of the 82-game regular season schedule - and the three rounds of the conference playoffs. Of the 14, five stand out as serious threats:

1) Portland Trail Blazers - The Blazers weren't a playoff team last year but they seriously have their eyes on the eighth playoff spot (at a minimum). Portland could be this year's New Orleans Hornets - the young team that finally puts it together. If they can finally stay healthy, the Blazers have a scary roster and a knack for giving the Lakers a very hard time - especially in Portland.

Playing against guards Derek Fisher, Sasha Vujacic, Jordan Farmar and Bryant - the Blazers have Brandon Roy, Steve Blake (always a problem for the Lakers) and rookies Jerry Bayless and Rudy Fernandez. To match up with LA's front court of Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom, Portland offers Greg Oden, LaMarcus Aldridge and either Martell Webster or Travis Outlaw. Channing Frye's ability to face up and shoot and Joel Przybilla's physicality give Coach Nate McMillan a pair of very different weapons off the bench.

If the Lakers do indeed win the West and draw the Blazers in the first round, that's going to be an epic series that could derail LA's title hopes early in the game . . .

2) New Orleans Hornets - In theory the combination of Bynum and Gasol should improve the Lakers ability to protect the basket but it won't be easy against a team like the Hornets. Containing dribble penetration last season was a major weakness and guard Chris Paul is an absolute handful.

The outside shooting of forwards David West, Peja Stojakovic and recent acquisition James Posey will be a factor after Paul beats his man off the dribble. It's very difficult to help defensively against the Hornets.

They also have one of the league's better defensive big men in Tyson Chandler who both blocks shots and rebounds well. Additionally, West doesn't only shoot jump shots. He may not necessarily have a true low post game but he is athletic, strong and aggressive.

The Hornets don't have tremendous depth and last year was the first season the core was essentially healthy. Like Portland, they too are well coached by former Laker Byron Scott who was Bryant's mentor when Kobe was a rookie.

The Lakers have the edge on depth but the Hornets are a scary team with serious championship aspirations.

3) Houston Rockets - The Rockets have had one fatal flaw that has kept them from reaching their potential - they just haven't been able to keep both center Yao Ming and guard/forward Tracy McGrady healthy for any serious extended period.

If Houston can finally get through the year with their big guns, the acquisition of forward Ron Artest could catapult the Rockets to the NBA Finals.

The team excelled on the defensive end before landing Artest. Along with Shane Battier, Houston has two top perimeter defenders to match up with Bryant. Yao towers over Bynum.

Forwards Luis Scola and Artest (if he starts at the four) may have some disadvantages against the taller Gasol but Scola presents a capable scoring option and Artest is certainly a tough, physical opponent for Pau.

In the backcourt, the Rockets have Rafer Alston, Aaron Brooks and Luther Head (among others) to complement McGrady.

If they can just stay healthy, Houston will have a great shot to finally get Yao and McGrady well past the first round of the playoffs. Once there, the sky is the limit.

4) Phoenix Suns - How seamlessly will the Suns transition from Mike D'Antoni to Terry Porter? Obviously playing under a new coach makes Phoenix somewhat of a question mark but the roster is undeniably scary. If center Shaquille O'Neal remains healthy, he and his front court mate Amare Stoudemire comprise perhaps the most intimidating big man duo on the league.

Steve Nash is still an elite point guard. The Lakers struggle against penetration but Nash's outside shot makes him an even trickier cover.

The Suns have a number a solid role players like forwards Grant Hill, Boris Diaw and Matt Barnes. Guards Raja Bell and Leandro Barbosa give Porter two very different options at shooting guard. Bell remains a high level defender while Barbosa is about as quick as anyone in the league - and can score in bunches.

The Lakers and Suns have history. Obviously there's the Shaq/Kobe connection but before he arrived, the Suns knocked the Lakers out of the first round of the playoffs two years in a row.

This looks like it has potential for a fierce second-round series . . .

5) San Antonio Spurs - At first glance the Spurs don't appear to be a tremendous threat. It took the Lakers six games to get past the Utah Jazz but only five to topple San Antonio back in May.

As strong as the Jazz were, the return of Bynum should make a significant difference, especially against the Jazz. As it was, big men Carlos Boozer and Mehmet Okur already had their share of difficulties against the Laker front court of Gasol and Lamar Odom. Utah will be tough but San Antonio may be more of an issue.

Yes, guard/forward Manu Ginobili will miss the start of the season after ankle surgery which could impact San Antonio's seeding - but the Spurs do have the history of winning titles every other season.

Their offseason acquisition of guard Roger Mason will help provide the offense that was lacking last postseason - but ultimately the Spurs rely on Ginobili. Coach Gregg Popovich will rest him all season if necessary to get him back to health for the postseason. If Manu gets his game back, San Antonio could prove to be unstoppable.

San Antonio always seems to fly under the radar. Forward/center Tim Duncan remains one of the best big men in the game. Guard Tony Parker is still one of the best scorers in the league at his position. Both Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto are big, strong bodies that complement Duncan well.

But it will all come down to a healthy Ginobili . .

Another article gave Roger Mason some chance at Most Improved Player

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9975
He won't win it but….. Roger Mason is going to have to make a push for this award if the Spurs are going to make it through the start of the season without Manu Ginobili. If he can continue to improve on his career best nine points a game from last season the Spurs will be able to survive until December. Mason is the type of under the radar player that could finally, fully come into his own with the Spurs.

braeden0613
09-15-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm not sure why phx is on this list

honestfool84
09-15-2008, 12:06 AM
why do they compare each team to the lakers?
that's gay.

mfanatic
09-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Blazers? Cmon now.
Phoenix? Yeah right.
Rockets? Possible.
NOH? Possible.

timtonymanu
09-15-2008, 01:13 AM
Suns and Blazers over Spurs? Last time i checked Spurs eliminated the Suns the last 2 years. Blazers havent proven anything other than they can get injured before the season.

sprrs
09-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Hoopsworld

mrspurs
09-15-2008, 05:57 AM
They talk about Manu being hurt and Roger having to step it up. Thats a no brainer. But the way the list is setup. Im guessing where he chose to put us is because of, Amare n Shaq...Oden n Aldridge...Tyson n West. Lets not forget Gasol n Bynum...Yao n Scolla...and even Dirk n Bass. Thats a pretty tough task to ask of Timmy.

carina_gino20
09-15-2008, 07:03 AM
It's funny how they start with, "Hey, the Lakers beat the Spurs in just 5 games!" and end off with talking about how the next season all comes down to Ginobili's ankle.

Allanon
09-15-2008, 07:37 AM
But the way the list is setup. Im guessing where he chose to put us is because of, Amare n Shaq...Oden n Aldridge...Tyson n West. Lets not forget Gasol n Bynum...Yao n Scolla...and even Dirk n Bass. Thats a pretty tough task to ask of Timmy.

That does indeed make pretty good sense and I didn't even realize it but most of the Western elite have picked up a good Center/Power Forward combo.

Splitter probably would have looked good with Duncan. I'm guessing Ian's going to be on the roster this year but I wonder why there's been so little press on Ian so far...

Manu-of-steel
09-15-2008, 07:37 AM
with just the addition of barnes, the phx suddenly moved in front of the spurs? unbelievable.

KidCongo
09-15-2008, 07:51 AM
that's gay.

because there the WC champs...

century
09-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Rankings are like assholes. Portland? Gimme a break, morons.

CubanMustGo
09-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Hoopsworld

+1

Rankings are like assholes. Portland? Gimme a break, morons.

Eric Pinkus = tlongII

bigfan
09-15-2008, 10:47 AM
This article is crap. Portland No 1??? PHX??? Baloney.

Red Hawk #21
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
The Blazers did not make the playoffs last season, The Spurs beat the Hornets last season, Spurs also beat Phoenix last season, Rockets have not done anything since 1995This list is Epic Fail

Whisky Dog
09-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Rockets, Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, Jazz. Slight chance Mavs. One of these teams will be in NBA finals next summer. Nobody else has a chance.

The Franchise
09-15-2008, 11:23 AM
The Blazers did not make the playoffs last season, The Spurs beat the Hornets last season, Spurs also beat Phoenix last season, Rockets have not done anything since 1995This list is Epic Fail

Your opinion sucks.:lol

rascal
09-15-2008, 11:49 AM

Your talking about what happened last season and thinking the same will happen this season. Things will change this season.

vander
09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Hoopsworld

+2

there's more reputability and basketball knowledge in the ST trolls than over there

Anti.Hero
09-15-2008, 12:32 PM
I predict NO offense again this year.

I can't wait for the season to start LOL

Spur-Addict
09-15-2008, 12:44 PM
that's gay.

What did you expect? Like really...:lol

rj215
09-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Oh God, we're doomed especially since Hoopsworld is always right. :rolleyes

Rummpd
09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Eric's a good writer but his rankings on this one are surreal.

1Parker1
09-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Was this supposed to be in any specific order? It doesn't neccesarily state it is a ranking. It just states these are the 5 contenders to the Lakers in the West....

bonnington
09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Hoopsworld

sucks

Galileo
09-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Spurs are the team to beat. They're better than the Lakers. Kobe will slow down. Portland not ready yet.

NO is the second best team, with the Rockets a wild card. Phoenix and Dallas are done.

honestfool84
09-15-2008, 04:36 PM
because there the WC champs...

and the spurs have been NBA champs (i would rather be an NBA champ than a WC champ...) three times since the lakers have had that honor..

i don't ever see anything like this written about the spurs.

i know the spurs don't get respect, its just extremely lame how suddenly everyone is on the lakers bandwagon.

Allanon
09-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Spurs are the team to beat. They're better than the Lakers. Kobe will slow down. Portland not ready yet.

NO is the second best team, with the Rockets a wild card. Phoenix and Dallas are done.

This was true two years ago when the Spurs were champs but the torch must be handed on to the new WC champs as WC "team to beat". Just like the Celtics are the overall NBA "team to beat".

In the past, most people said "don't count out the Champs (Spurs)" even though they got older and older. The Spurs role this year is sounding more like the dark horse rather than the contender.

i know the spurs don't get respect, its just extremely lame how suddenly everyone is on the lakers bandwagon.

Even though people constantly joked about their age, the Spurs have been the "team to beat" for the last 5 years, how much more respect do you want? :D

Galileo
09-15-2008, 04:43 PM
and the spurs have been NBA champs (i would rather be an NBA champ than a WC champ...) three times since the lakers have had that honor..

i don't ever see anything like this written about the spurs.

The Lakers are overrated. Kobe is on the way down.

WEST RANKINGS

1) Spurs
2) Hornets
3) Rockets
4) Lakers

honestfool84
09-15-2008, 04:48 PM
This was true two years ago when the Spurs were champs but the torch must be handed on to the new WC champs as WC "team to beat". Just like the Celtics are the overall NBA "team to beat".

In the past, most people said "don't count out the Champs (Spurs)" even though they got older and older. The Spurs role this year is sounding more like the dark horse rather than the contender.

Even though people constantly joked about their age, the Spurs have been the "team to beat" for the last 5 years, how much more respect do you want? :D

oh, without a doubt i know that the nba players/coaches/teams respect the spurs. definitely.

but just because we're a small time market, we couldn't get any respect even if we asked for some from any national magazine/sports writers.

but it doesn't matter.
i realize that the spurs can't be the best forever.

i just still think they will be contenders at least through duncan's retirement.

manufor3
09-15-2008, 04:53 PM
portland??? :lmao:lmao:lmao

Allanon
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM
but just because we're a small time market, we couldn't get any respect even if we asked for some from any national magazine/sports writers.

That is a good point, I always read somewhere somehow that the Spurs are "written off". I think most writers know to never write off the Spurs by now.

i just still think they will be contenders at least through duncan's retirement.

I think so too, I just don't think they will be the "de facto/#1" contender as they have been in the past. When I say they are the "dark horse", I think they can still win it all, they're just not the most likely team to do it anymore during odd years.

honestfool84
09-15-2008, 05:16 PM
That is a good point, I always read somewhere somehow that the Spurs are "written off". I think most writers know to never write off the Spurs by now.

I think so too, I just don't think they will be the "de facto/#1" contender as they have been in the past. When I say they are the "dark horse", I think they can still win it all, they're just not the most likely team to do it anymore during odd years.

that, i will agree with.
though i wouldn't call them "dark horses" per say.
they just need a few key pieces, for example, ginobili to be completely healthy, and they have as good a chance as anyone to win the title.