PDA

View Full Version : Ok, all you sports radio elitists in here...

AlamoSpursFan
09-15-2008, 12:48 AM
...will someone PLEASE explain this annoying asshole on this "Mad Dog Unleashed" show that Sirius is currently trying to shove down my ear holes?

Holy FUCK that guy's horrible. If I wanted to get yelled at, I'd call Mrs. ASF and tell her I'm at a titty bar.

:lol

balli
09-15-2008, 01:05 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_and_the_Mad_Dog

Mike and the Mad Dog (ran from September 5, 1989 until August 15, 2008) was an afternoon drive sports radio program based out of WFAN in New York City that featured Mike Francesa and Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo. From 2002 onwards the show was simulcasted on the YES Network. On the radio, the show was simulcasted beginning 2007 on WQYK in Tampa, Florida and from 2004 until 2007 on WROW in Albany, New York. The show was the first nationally known team in the history of sports talk radio.

End of the run

On June 22, 2008, sports columnist Neil Best of Newsday reported that Francesa and Russo were considering ending their radio show.[14] The reports stated that the relationship between the radio duo had soured during Spring 2008, and was the likely cause of the split.[14] Although Russo's contract with WFAN ran until October 2009, Francesa's contract situation was unclear at that time.[15] Newsday contacted Francesa on vacation, where he stated "no comment". On June 23, Russo, doing the show alone, denied the rumors.[16] He said that he and Francesa had been "fighting like cats and dogs" until early May, but that their relationship had since improved. "Nineteen, 20 years, you're going to have your issues occasionally," he said. "You gotta get through those issues."[16] Some fans have suggested that the rumors were created as a contract negotiation ploy or a publicity stunt.[14] On June 27, 2008, Francesa acknowledged the show was at a "crossroad", and could not guarantee the show would last through the summer. Francesa also stated he and Russo had not spoken since reports of their possible breakup came out.[17]

On July 11, 2008, Francesa and Russo reunited for their first show together since news of their possible breakup came out. They did their show from the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center for the DHL All-Star Fan Fest. They would do three more shows together around All-Star weekend. Both Francesa and Russo were coy about their future beyond the summer.[18] On August 5, 2008, they would do their final show together at the New York Giants' training facility in Albany, New York.

On August 14, 2008, Russo reached a mutual agreement with WFAN to let him out of the remainder of his contract.[19][20][21] Russo insisted it was solely a personal decision and said, "This has nothing to do with Mike and I hating each other... This is about doing something different. I'm 48 years old and there are not going to be too many more opportunities to break away. It's time to try something else, but it was a tough decision to make."[21] On August 15, 2008, Russo phoned Francesa on the show to say goodbye. A highly emotional Russo began to break down on air as he talked about his partnership with Francesa.[22][23]

[edit] Separate ways

At the same time, while Russo left WFAN, Francesa signed a five-year deal to stay at WFAN and continue to host the afternoon drive-time show.[24] On August 19, 2008, Russo signed a five-year contract worth about $3 million per year[25] with Sirius XM to headline a new sports talk channel called Mad Dog Radio on both Sirius and XM satellite radio.[26][27] Russo said there was nothing WFAN could have done to keep him[28] after Sirius XM provided him an opportunity to not only do a show, but have his own channel, which he could not pass up.

AlamoSpursFan
09-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Thanks for that.

I kinda wanted to know why anyone would want to listen to him, though.

DizzG.
09-15-2008, 01:33 AM
Is there anyway possible I can give my personal opinion on the billboard in ASF signature w/o all the drama on how no one likes Chris Duel or ESPN?

Duel doesn't seem like he can take criticism that well. And I don't need Kori thinking I am another johnsmith to make trouble.

ok here is my take......

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/AlamoSpursFan/622409066209_0_BG-1.jpg

If I am driving down the road i have to keep my eye on the road so if I do decide to take a quick peek at a billboard I will have maybe 2 to 3 seconds before I pass it up or run into another vehicle.

So really all I see is the big bold letters CHRIS, MINNIX, MURPHY, and I may catch the ESPN logo. So as I drive past i have to figure out what i just read. ok I know there are 3 important peoples names on a ESPN billboard. So I figure if i go home and tune into ESPN I may see the show. I don't see in on the TV guide so I put in a DVD of Barbarella wax my carrot and go to sleep.

The Billboard should read
'AM radio 1250 ESPN tune in now!'
with Duel Minnix and Dawn

This way if I don't read all the names I at least know enough to change my radio dial or at least pull out the INXS Cd and tune in.

That is my 2cents

Congrats on your new show! :tu

Evan
09-15-2008, 07:42 AM
I don't see how anyone listens to him…he just screams into the mic…makes me nervous. Hah

That NFL channel is strange too. They want to be a national show that appeals to everyone but its filled with way too many New York accents. Granted its based in NY but they should pick and chose their hosts better. Oddly their best hosts are weekend and fill in hosts. I don't get it.

AlamoSpursFan
09-15-2008, 09:09 AM
yeah when she's working the pole at the club she usually has to yell pretty loud to be heard over the music

You're right...I should have said A DIFFERENT titty bar.