24. Terry Cummings
25. Mario Elie
26. Willie Anderson
27. Billy Paultz
28. Robert McDermott
29. Stephen Jackson
30. Mark Olberding

------------------------------

To pass the time until the start of preseason, let's see how SpursTalk.com ranks the Top 50 Spurs. Those eligible for the list include all players, coaches and owners. I don't want to define "top" too narrowly, but I think the best way to do it would be to think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport.

For more information on what we are doing, check out this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103061).

In this thread, we will vote for spot number 31. Please place your vote. If you will, also explain in this thread why you voted how you did.

Thanks.

P.S.

Poll options listed in alphabetical order. If you want to vote for someone not on the list, post in the thread and I'll add the person.

Voting will end 2AM CST Tuesday morning.

Please vote only once.

TDMVPDPOY
09-15-2008, 05:58 AM
im surprise vinny is still on the board....

2centsworth
09-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Gene Banks, Stan Albeck, or Steve Kerr.

Kona
09-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Budenholzer.

timvp
09-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Steve KerrI'm probably going with Albeck on this one but Brent Barry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Steve Kerr.

SlovenianGuy
09-15-2008, 08:12 AM
timvp, it's probably time to add Cadillac Anderson to the list.

And I partially agree with TDMVPDPOY. Vinny is the best remaining player.

The 31st place should go to Mike Budenholzer, Stan Albeck or Vinny.

My vote goes to Stan Albeck.

2centsworth
09-15-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm probably going with Albeck on this one but Brent Barry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Steve Kerr.

for some reason I didn't see Brent on the list. I agree, Brent is a possible.

urunobili
09-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Budenholzer has been on the bench with Pop on all 4 championship rings campaigns... He knows the system like no one else does and knows what Pop is trying to accomplish without even asking or needing to double check, basketball wise and when building relationships with the players as well.

I still don't get why people do not consider him on a higher status since his contributions have always been solid, he has always been close the players, to the ones developing and the veterans as well.

His leadership could be seen on display this past summer league when he was on Mahimni's face after the got outplayed by other guys etc.

He should be the next one. Lame he didn't break the Top 25

SenorSpur
09-15-2008, 08:33 AM
timvp, it's probably time to add Cadillac Anderson to the list.

And I partially agree with TDMVPDPOY. Vinny is the best remaining player.

The 31st place should go to Mike Budenholzer, Stan Albeck or Vinny.

My vote goes to Stan Albeck.

Vinny Del Negro? Are you kidding me? Vinny shouldn't be on the list. What did he ever accomplish during his Spurs tenure to even warrant mentioning here? He was a slow, soft, inconsistent shooter, who repeatedly choked in the clutch - despite having numerous opportunities. This guy was a huge liability on the court because he was a horrific defender. He did absolutely NOTHING as a Spur and should he even get mentioned here, it will greatly undermine the integrity of this list.

SlovenianGuy
09-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Are you kidding me? Vinny shouldn't be on the list. What did he ever accomplish during his Spurs tenure to even warrant mentioning here? He was a slow, soft, inconsistent shooter, who choked in the clutch. Plus he was a horrific defender. He did NOTHING as a Spur and should he get mentioned here, it will undermine the integrity of this list.

On the all-time Spurs' list Vinny is:
14th in games played
11th in minutes played
16th in points scored
28th in total rebounds
11th in assists
15th in steals

Who's your choice?

century
09-15-2008, 08:45 AM
I hope Oberto and Finley read this poll, get the message and get the fuck out of town.

The Truth #6
09-15-2008, 12:48 PM
I would put Presti above Budenholzer. Being non-players, their contributions are more nebulous however my feeling is that Presti added new ideas and energy to the FO, whereas Bud, though he worked hard, was more of a just a good soldier who did what they told him. If anyone has specific Bud stories about his accomplishments other than being on the team and being a good worker, then please add them.

I think the best remaining are: Rodman, Presti, Albeck (though if we throw him out there Cottonball should be considered afterwards), Strickland, Vinny, Dietrich, Barry, and the "Flying Helicopter".

Spurs Brazil
09-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Finley

I know Barry fans will complain but Finley played much better than Barry in 06 and 07 Playoffs.

I like Barry but before him I vote for Finley

SenorSpur
09-15-2008, 04:06 PM
On the all-time Spurs' list Vinny is:
14th in games played
11th in minutes played
16th in points scored
28th in total rebounds
11th in assists
15th in steals

Who's your choice?

Empty rankings to say the least. It doesn't diminish the "negative" effect of his presence.

As far as who could go next? Stan Albeck, George Johnson, Rod Strickland, or even Dancin' Harry. Take your pick. Anybody but this guy.

FromWayDowntown
09-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't see how this is anyone other than Albeck. Then again, I've been arguing for about a week that Albeck and Moe are largely indistinguishable and don't really understand how Albeck could fall almost 10 places behind Moe.

Spurminator
09-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I just noticed that I accidentally voted for Presti when I meant to vote for Albeck.

manufor3
09-15-2008, 05:01 PM
mango tree!

Whisky Dog
09-15-2008, 05:58 PM
This is still going on?

At this point, Barry's around the world trey to win game 2 against the Kings in '06 first round alone should get him this spot.

Obstructed_View
09-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Empty rankings to say the least. It doesn't diminish the "negative" effect of his presence.

As far as who could go next? Stan Albeck, George Johnson, Rod Strickland, or even Dancin' Harry. Take your pick. Anybody but this guy.

Since you suggested putting Rodney on the list above Vinny, it proves to me the failure of your logic enough to inspire a vote for Del Negro. I've got to give you credit for not suggesting someone ludicrous like Barry should be on the list ahead of him. :wow

Bruno
09-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Outside of the top 30, it's quite hard to decide who should be selected.
There have basically below average player whose main quality is to have played a long time with Spurs, some assistant coaches and some good players who have played few time with Spurs without having a great impact.
I don't think there is enough quality players/coaches/GM to make a top 50.

my2sons
09-15-2008, 07:46 PM
I hope Oberto and Finley read this poll, get the message and get the fuck out of town.

It's a shame you don't lead by example

my2sons
09-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Outside of the top 30, it's quite hard to decide who should be selected.
There have basically below average player whose main quality is to have played a long time with Spurs, some assistant coaches and some good players who have played few time with Spurs without having a great impact.
I don't think there is enough quality players/coaches/GM to make a top 50.

terry cummings was a below average player????

baseline bum
09-15-2008, 08:10 PM

:lol

I'd pick Dancing Harry over Del Negro in a second. Then again, I'd take Steve Smith over him too.

ShoogarBear
09-15-2008, 08:14 PM
:lmao @ Barry and Vinnie over Stan Albeck.

Admiral
09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
I know it won't be popular, but I voted for Bob Hill. We had some good teams with a lot of wins while he was our coach, and despite his shortcomings he deserves at least some of the credit for that. At spot #31, that's enough for me to vote for him ahead of role players like Brent Barry.

FromWayDowntown
09-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Bob Hill won a lot of games and got his team to a conference final, but lost to a team his squad should have beaten. Stan Albeck won a lot of games and got his teams to two conference finals, and lost to teams that his squad shouldn't have beaten.

Oh, and Stan Albeck's players didn't revolt.

Just sayin.

baseline bum
09-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Since you suggested putting Rodney on the list above Vinny, it proves to me the failure of your logic enough to inspire a vote for Del Negro. I've got to give you credit for not suggesting someone ludicrous like Barry should be on the list ahead of him. :wow

Strickland deserves to be far ahead of Del Negro. He was awesome in that series with Portland despite throwing that horrible pass. The barfight was bullshit, but Strickland was always solid on the floor for the Spurs.

ChuckD
09-15-2008, 09:06 PM
I know it won't be popular, but I voted for Bob Hill. We had some good teams with a lot of wins while he was our coach, and despite his shortcomings he deserves at least some of the credit for that. At spot #31, that's enough for me to vote for him ahead of role players like Brent Barry.

Bob Hill was a selfish prick who took all the credit for wins, and threw his players under the bus for losses. If we are "honoring" people here, he shouldn't make the list at all.

baseline bum
09-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Fuck Bob Hill. He got into the pissing match with Rodman that screwed this team in the 95 WCF. Bob Hill is the worst coach this team ever had. I can't believe someone with the screen name Admiral would vote for one of the people responsible for earning Robinson the soft label.

Admiral
09-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Fuck Bob Hill. He got into the pissing match with Rodman that screwed this team in the 95 WCF. Bob Hill is the worst coach this team ever had. I can't believe someone with the screen name Admiral would vote for one of the people responsible for earning Robinson the soft label.

You are awesome, bbum. I would expect nothing less than this kind of response from you! :lol

I don't know details about Bob Hill's tenure in San Antonio. My point was that we had a couple of our best seasons when Hill was our coach. He deserves at least some of the credit for those seasons. I'm not advocating that he be enshrined in the Spurs Hall of Fame, but rather acknowledging the good teams he was involved with. A similar argument could be made for John Lucas.

I don't remember a "pissing match" with Rodman, but it would take a lot for me to take Rodman's side on anything. Rodman is the guy to blame for at least two of our playoff disappointments. His selfish behavior and "me first" attitude was lethal. Drop-kicking John Stockton at the three point line, refusing to sit on the bench with the rest of his team, taking his shoes off, walking out of practice, etc. The list of his antics are way too long to mention. Anything Hill did to stand up to him was certainly warranted.

baseline bum
09-15-2008, 10:46 PM
You are awesome, bbum. I would expect nothing less than this kind of response from you! :lol

I don't know details about Bob Hill's tenure in San Antonio. My point was that we had a couple of our best seasons when Hill was our coach. He deserves at least some of the credit for those seasons. I'm not advocating that he be enshrined in the Spurs Hall of Fame, but rather acknowledging the good teams he was involved with. A similar argument could be made for John Lucas.

I don't remember a "pissing match" with Rodman, but it would take a lot for me to take Rodman's side on anything. Rodman is the guy to blame for at least two of our playoff disappointments. His selfish behavior and "me first" attitude was lethal. Drop-kicking John Stockton at the three point line, refusing to sit on the bench with the rest of his team, taking his shoes off, walking out of practice, etc. The list of his antics are way too long to mention. Anything Hill did to stand up to him was certainly warranted.

If you think I'm taking Rodman's side, you haven't been reading a lot of my posts lately. I have to think Hill was almost as much of a prick as Rodman in 95, considering how he couldn't get an NBA job for 11 years after David (allegedly) demanded Pop fire him in 96-97.

SenorSpur
09-16-2008, 03:45 AM

Strickland may only be remembered by some here for that terrible pass in the Portland series, which is unfortunate. Truth be known is Strickland was one of the better PGs this franchise had up to that point. A do-everything, pass-first, PG, who, along with Fat Lever, was one of the better rebounding PGs of his era and an excellent finisher around the rim. He may have had his contractual issues with management and a few off-the-court scrapes, but the dude played hard, played with passion and was a significant contributor to the team, while here with the Spurs. He wasn't a guy simply skating by on pure talent.

If you're not familiar with Strickland or didn't see him play, that's fine. However, don't try to undermine my case without providing any facts. Besides, there is absolutely nothing you can say that would make a legitimate case for Del Negro, who was nothing more than a gutless pig of a player, during his stint with the team. That, my friend, is a fact.

If you think Del Negro was a more significant contributor to the Spurs than Strickland, it's a clear indication to me that you don't know baskeball.

Admiral
09-16-2008, 03:49 PM
If you think I'm taking Rodman's side, you haven't been reading a lot of my posts lately. I have to think Hill was almost as much of a prick as Rodman in 95, considering how he couldn't get an NBA job for 11 years after David (allegedly) demanded Pop fire him in 96-97.

I don't think you are taking Rodman's side (and no, I haven't been here to read many of your posts lately). My point is that Rodman deserves the blame for 1995 long before Hill does.

I would like to know more about what went down regarding Bob Hill. All I knew at the time was that it seemed crappy for Pop to fire Hill and hire himself on the day David was to return from injury. I was not aware of the behind-the-scenes stuff that might have occurred, like players taking sides and all that. If anyone can shed any light on it, I would love to hear it.

Returning to the thread at hand, I realize that I'm not going to get many to agree with me about Bob Hill at #31. That's fine. I'm not a big Hill fan myself, but at #31 we aren't exactly talking about the best players and coaches the franchise has to offer...

Obstructed_View
09-17-2008, 06:30 PM
If you're not familiar with Strickland or didn't see him play, that's fine. However, don't try to undermine my case without providing any facts. Besides, there is absolutely nothing you can say that would make a legitimate case for Del Negro, who was nothing more than a gutless pig of a player, during his stint with the team. That, my friend, is a fact.

:lol

Your case isn't all that hard to undermine, since you say that Vinny's contributions can't overcome the negative effect of his presence, and then prop up Rodney while saying that the turnover that cost the Spurs a chance to go to the Finals should be overlooked. You also suggest that I haven't provided you any facts, but when someone gave you stats you dismissed them without thought. If I've provided zero facts to support my case, then we're tied at this point.

I don't think Rodney was a terrible player, but you only put him on the list of people that should be ahead of Del Negro as an insult. I only voted for Del Negro because you hate him so much.

Was Strickland a better point guard? Of course, because only one of them was a point guard. Vinny played out of position because the Spurs didn't have a point guard and did the best he could without complaint. Not sure why you hate Del Negro, but you haven't stated an actual fact to make a case against him.