PDA

View Full Version : Duncan a serious....

21+20+9=50
09-15-2008, 02:04 PM
With Manu being out for the most part of this year, Its only going to be Duncan and Parker running the show till the end of 2008, with Parker playing for france( thats going to take a great toll on him being fresh, but he will be ready) and Duncan being fresh sitting at home and working out, could have a MVP season, i still think he has one MVP season left in him, and he would have to play more minutes this season if the spurs want to be a contender or even make the playoffs in this tough Westren Confrence.. What do you Guys think, does THE BIGFUNDAMENTAL STILL HAVE IT IN HIM????

stretch
09-15-2008, 02:09 PM
um how serious is manu's injury? is he really going to be out for an extended period of time?

21+20+9=50
09-15-2008, 02:12 PM
um how serious is manu's injury? is he really going to be out for an extended period of time?

i am pretty sure the way pop is, he is not going to play Manu right away, he is not going to take that chance, on espn they said that he would probably be back at the end of Novemeber...

spursfan09
09-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Pop will monitor Tim's minutes like always I think.

21+20+9=50
09-15-2008, 02:15 PM

No but when Tony was out he played more minutes and was averging 24-25 points pers game last year, if you remember wat i am talking about...

21+20+9=50
09-15-2008, 02:16 PM

what will be the point of monitoring minutes if the spurs dont make the playoffs, without Manu, i dont know....

urunobili
09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Tim has one more MVP left on him.. if he has us right up there with big numbers after the All star break he may make it!

TP will be bad ass as well!!

and i hope Roger Mason will be in the conversation for MIP :)

21+20+9=50
09-15-2008, 02:19 PM
We do all agree that the west is going to be tougher next year????

duncan228
09-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Duncan's minutes will be managed, it's the best way to keep him fresh for April. I'd like to think he's got another MVP season in him, but I don't see it. We need him to be able to rise for the playoffs. If they can get through the West I think Duncan's more likely to have another Final's MVP in him than a regular season one. Of course, I'd be thrilled if he could do both again.

I'll never under-estimate a healthy Duncan. Even at 32, and even with managed minutes. He's a monster, and his window is closing. He knows that better than anyone. And I know he's got more Championships in him. :)

Manufan909
09-15-2008, 02:26 PM
He might not be MVP level, but I know he'll get alot more touches, since it's only the big 2 now, therefore he'll be more of a force with the same minutes imo.

spursfan09
09-15-2008, 02:30 PM
what will be the point of monitoring minutes if the spurs dont make the playoffs, without Manu, i dont know....

They will not miss the playoffs. Tim will just have to do more in the same amout of time, which will be possible since Manu won't be playin, he will have more possessions of his own. So will Parker.

duncan228
09-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh, we got to the WCF with a hobbled Manu. We get nowhere if Duncan gets injured. Keeping tabs on his minutes hopefully keeps risks to a minimum.

Brutalis
09-15-2008, 03:13 PM
I am only 23 and was totally set back and in awe of where the time went when D-Rob got up there in his years. When he had retired in 2003 I was finishing high school.

Five years pass and now the beginning of Duncan's end has arrived. And now I am wondering where all the time went again as I still see him in my head as in his mid-late twenties. He can still have it, but his days are numbered. The way TD is, I don't see him playing at all if he can't produce like he has his whole career. Last season for me was the first time I've seen him become clearly slower with his footwork and overall speed. Over the last 2 years I've seen him defended better than he ever has been, and I'm not sure if the league is used to his stuff by now or it's just Tim being predictable. One thing is clear to me, he is losing it. Slowwwwwly but surely. His minutes being managed and the load being partially off of him over these last few years have done nothing but add more time on his career that I am thankful for.

Sorry I hijacked the thread but yeah. This is the first season in a long while I can remember being not only anxious for, but with an eyebrow raised. I don't know if the Spurs are going to be so dominant. I highly doubt they are a 40 win team however.

My friend Will in San Antonio told me there's a rumor Tim is working on new moves. Not really new as in brand new, but new as in pump dribble fake jumpshots, and back to the basket moves made shorter to accommodate his lack of speed and quickness. Just what he said as a rumor, not sure how true it is.

Brutalis
09-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I would like to add however, when it comes to the playoffs, it's like he's young Timmy all over again. (cause of managed minutes and scoring loads being taken off) It's just regular season play I speak of.

Galileo
09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
With Manu being out for the most part of this year, Its only going to be Duncan and Parker running the show till the end of 2008, with Parker playing for france( thats going to take a great toll on him being fresh, but he will be ready) and Duncan being fresh sitting at home and working out, could have a MVP season, i still think he has one MVP season left in him, and he would have to play more minutes this season if the spurs want to be a contender or even make the playoffs in this tough Westren Confrence.. What do you Guys think, does THE BIGFUNDAMENTAL STILL HAVE IT IN HIM????

Tim has another MVP in him. He finished strong last year in the playoffs with a triple double, 10 straight games w/ 13+ rebounds, and 9 straight games with 14+ rebounds. Those are monster numbers.

btw

I found this:

NBA all-time triple-double leaders
Playoffs
Rank Name TD
1. Magic Johnson 30
2. Jason Kidd 11
3. Larry Bird 10
4. Wilt Chamberlain 9
5. Oscar Robertson 8
6. John Havlicek 5
7. Charles Barkley 4
8. Elgin Baylor 4
9. Walt Frazier 4
10.Scottie Pippen 4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-double

As you can see, triple-doubles in the playoffs by big men are VERY RARE.

pad300
09-15-2008, 03:37 PM
I am only 23 and was totally set back and in awe of where the time went when D-Rob got up there in his years. When he had retired in 2003 I was finishing high school.

Five years pass and now the beginning of Duncan's end has arrived. And now I am wondering where all the time went again as I still see him in my head as in his mid-late twenties. He can still have it, but his days are numbered. The way TD is, I don't see him playing at all if he can't produce like he has his whole career. Last season for me was the first time I've seen him become clearly slower with his footwork and overall speed. Over the last 2 years I've seen him defended better than he ever has been, and I'm not sure if the league is used to his stuff by now or it's just Tim being predictable. One thing is clear to me, he is losing it. Slowwwwwly but surely. His minutes being managed and the load being partially off of him over these last few years have done nothing but add more time on his career that I am thankful for.

Sorry I hijacked the thread but yeah. This is the first season in a long while I can remember being not only anxious for, but with an eyebrow raised. I don't know if the Spurs are going to be so dominant. I highly doubt they are a 40 win team however.

My friend Will in San Antonio told me there's a rumor Tim is working on new moves. Not really new as in brand new, but new as in pump dribble fake jumpshots, and back to the basket moves made shorter to accommodate his lack of speed and quickness. Just what he said as a rumor, not sure how true it is.

I'd LOVE to see him bring out a skyhook... It was basically invincible for Kareem, and I'm dead sure that Duncan has the hands and footwork to pull it off.

Galileo
09-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Duncan has not slowed down yet:

Per 36 minutes regular season stats:

Points 20.5
Rebounds 12.0
Assists 3.0
Blocks 2.1
Steals 0.8

Career

Points 20.9
Rebounds 11.5
Assists 3.0
Blocks 2.3
Steals 0.8

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duncati01.html

Brutalis
09-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Duncan has not slowed down yet:

Per 36 minutes regular season stats:

Points 20.5
Rebounds 12.0
Assists 3.0
Blocks 2.1
Steals 0.8

Career

Points 20.9
Rebounds 11.5
Assists 3.0
Blocks 2.3
Steals 0.8

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duncati01.html

You missed my point about Duncan.

Galileo
09-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Duncan finished the playoffs last year with a triple-double, 10 straight 13+ rebound games, and 9 straight 14+ rebound games (all the games after he recovered from the flu).

Go try to find me the last time someone had 10 straight 13+ rebound games in the playoffs. Not even the young jumpers can do that.

Allanon
09-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Of all seasons, this is the one season where I think Duncan's numbers will drop. It was mentioned in another post but the fact is the West has gotten significantly stronger particularly in the Center/Forward position. Because Fabricio isn't much of a scorer, Duncan is 1 man going against two:

1) Yao/Scola
2) Shaq/Amare
3) Bynum/Pau
4) Chandler/West
5) Dirk/Diop/Bass/Dampier
6) Kaman/Camby
7) Oden/Aldridge
8) Okur/Boozer
9) Love/Al Jefferson
10) Gasol/Darko/Haddadi

Galileo
09-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Of all seasons, this is the one season where I think Duncan's numbers will drop. It was mentioned in another post but the fact is the West has gotten significantly stronger particularly in the Center/Forward position. Because Fabricio isn't much of a scorer, Duncan is 1 man going against two:

1) Yao/Scola
2) Shaq/Amare
3) Bynum/Pau
4) Chandler/West
5) Kaman/Camby
6) Oden/Aldridge
7) Love/Al Jefferson
8) Gasol/Darko/Haddadi

Duncan's numbers will improve this season.

romain.star
09-15-2008, 04:12 PM

i get your point and i agree

Galileo
09-15-2008, 04:21 PM
i get your point and i agree

That's good.

And lest we all forget, Stern rigged the playoffs last year so the Lakers could make the Finals.

Remember the no-call on Barry/Fisher?

Remember the rigged scheduling, where they extended game 7 of the Hornets series to a Monday while the Lakers sat around and rested?

Then they made the Spurs play on the road WED, then FRI, then SUN, then TUE, then THUR, with no time to rest?

And remember the Spurs plane getting stuck all night in NO?

There's NO WAY the Spurs blow a 20 point lead in game one without the rigged scheduling!

Ans there's no way they blow a 17 point lead in another game (can't remember exactly which one) without the rigged scheduling.

Heck, if Duncan hadn't been sick in game one vs NO (remember his 5 point, 3 rebound, 1-9 shooting game?), the Spurs would have dispatched of NO in 5 or 6 games, and they would have beat the Lakers anyway.

The Spurs are better than the Lakers and the Spurs always win in odd numbered years.

And I bet Kobe slows down before TD.

Allanon
09-15-2008, 04:44 PM
That's good.

And lest we all forget, Stern rigged the playoffs last year so the Lakers could make the Finals.

Remember the no-call on Barry/Fisher?
There was an "airball" call that wasn't and Barry travelled on that play.
If the refs hadn't blown that "airball" call, the Spurs never would have gotten the ball back unless they fouled Kobe for Free Throws.
If the refs had called travelling on Barry then he never would have gotten a chance to get fouled Fisher.

Remember the rigged scheduling, where they extended game 7 of the Hornets series to a Monday while the Lakers sat around and rested?

Then they made the Spurs play on the road WED, then FRI, then SUN, then TUE, then THUR, with no time to rest?

And remember the Spurs plane getting stuck all night in NO?

There's NO WAY the Spurs blow a 20 point lead in game one without the rigged scheduling!

Ans there's no way they blow a 17 point lead in another game (can't remember exactly which one) without the rigged scheduling.

The playoff schedule was released 1 month in advance, it could have been ANY team, it just happened to be the Spurs. The Playoffs have to be scheduled with the TV stations far in advance so it has nothing to do with the actual team playing. It could have been Rockets/Spurs for all they knew at the time of scheduling.

Heck, if Duncan hadn't been sick in game one vs NO (remember his 5 point, 3 rebound, 1-9 shooting game?), the Spurs would have dispatched of NO in 5 or 6 games, and they would have beat the Lakers anyway.

If Bynum hadn't been injured, the Lakers would have also had a better advantage. Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda's in sports are always a moot topic.

The Spurs are better than the Lakers and the Spurs always win in odd numbered years.

And I bet Kobe slows down before TD.

I disagree.

The Reckoning
09-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Tim has 10 MVP seasons left. I mean, come on, he's Tim Duncan

Bruno
09-15-2008, 06:39 PM
With Manu being out for the most part of this year, Its only going to be Duncan and Parker running the show till the end of 2008

Manu should miss one month or even less, that is to say 15 games or less. Duncan won't have to carry the team for too long.

Obstructed_View
09-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Has Duncan's productivity gone up since he's been having his minutes "managed"? Is there a simple way to figure that out?

Obstructed_View
09-15-2008, 06:41 PM
And personally, I'd almost rather the Spurs start out poorly and get it ratcheted up as the season goes. Starting out strong hasn't really translated to anything for them IIRC. Chasing playoff position towards the end of the year might actually be a good thing.

Galileo
09-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Has Duncan's productivity gone up since he's been having his minutes "managed"? Is there a simple way to figure that out?

hasn't really gone up or down. A lot of the "managing" since 2004 has been from nagging injuries. Duncan seems to have less of them the past two seasons, which is my reason to believe he will better.

09-15-2008, 07:36 PM
as much as i would like duncan to win another MVP, the process is mostly biased. lebron james obviously gets a turn next year to win MVP, he just needs to put up similar numbers and get cleveland 50-55 wins. with mo williams now on the cavs, it doesn't seem too unlikely. duncan will have to put up near '01-'02 numbers where he averaged 25, 12, and 2.5 blks, in order to get in the top 3. i would like duncan to get DPOY though. i don't think he's ever got one and it's a shame because he has been on the first all-defensive team for 8 seasons. he has probably been the best low post defender in the league for some time now.

Galileo
09-15-2008, 07:51 PM
as much as i would like duncan to win another MVP, the process is mostly biased. lebron james obviously gets a turn next year to win MVP, he just needs to put up similar numbers and get cleveland 50-55 wins. with mo williams now on the cavs, it doesn't seem too unlikely. duncan will have to put up near '01-'02 numbers where he averaged 25, 12, and 2.5 blks, in order to get in the top 3. i would like duncan to get DPOY though. i don't think he's ever got one and it's a shame because he has been on the first all-defensive team for 8 seasons. he has probably been the best low post defender in the league for some time now.

All it takes for Duncan to win the MVP is:

1) Spurs pull long winning or hot streak to start season with Ginobili out.

2) 20+ points per game & team's leading scorer w/ 50%+ shooting

3) usual rebound and block numbers

4) Spurs end up with best or near best record in West

He could also pull off DPOY if the Spurs are in the top three on defensive points allowed & defensive FG%, and Duncan keeps blocks over 2 per game. if Duncan can pull off another season with nearly as many blocks as fouls he's got it in the bag.

Brutalis
09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Duncan finished the playoffs last year with a triple-double, 10 straight 13+ rebound games, and 9 straight 14+ rebound games (all the games after he recovered from the flu).

Go try to find me the last time someone had 10 straight 13+ rebound games in the playoffs. Not even the young jumpers can do that.

You rattle off a different subject all you want. My point remains. You need to learn how to read before you go replying to folks.

Galileo
09-15-2008, 08:02 PM
You rattle off a different subject all you want. My point remains. You need to learn how to read before you go replying to folks.

Duncan is not slowing down. He is the only legitimate big man on the team and is carrying a bigger load on his shoulders than before.

Brutalis
09-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Duncan is not slowing down. He is the only legitimate big man on the team and is carrying a bigger load on his shoulders than before.

I agree with the last part. But it is evident by just watching him his quickness and speed is not what it once was. However it does not affect his playoff performance.

mrspurs
09-16-2008, 06:12 AM

No. Duncan will give us double doubles. But when teams double Tim, the Spurs will get toasted like last season. Once Timmy lost his off the glass shot, Imo he's basically saying, I dont have it anymore.

m33p0
09-16-2008, 08:37 AM
no. but not because he can't but because he won't. pop won't allow it unless its the playoffs.

Ice009
09-16-2008, 09:21 AM
No. Duncan will give us double doubles. But when teams double Tim, the Spurs will get toasted like last season. Once Timmy lost his off the glass shot, Imo he's basically saying, I dont have it anymore.

IMO This post of yours basically says that you suck.

Ice009
09-16-2008, 09:23 AM
I agree with the last part. But it is evident by just watching him his quickness and speed is not what it once was. However it does not affect his playoff performance.

Is there any drills or training that Tim can do in the off season to work on getting some speed and agility back? I can't really tell if Tim is just a little slower or a lot slower? Sometimes he seems like he's a lot slower than he used to be.

Sissiborgo
09-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Duncan and Parker will run the team...And udoka and hill may show us then what they got....:toast Good time for them to show us what they got...

duncan228
09-16-2008, 11:28 AM

I don't get why you're a Spurs fan. I've never read anything positive from you. If this team disappoints you so much why are you here? It's like Spurs Dynasty 21 reincarnated.

Galileo
09-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Is there any drills or training that Tim can do in the off season to work on getting some speed and agility back? I can't really tell if Tim is just a little slower or a lot slower? Sometimes he seems like he's a lot slower than he used to be.

Duncan got worn down in the playoffs because he is the only rebounder on the team, and they rigged the schedule with game after game every other day, plus he was sick an they had a seven game series. Even so, he was brilliant. Against the Lakers he average 22.5 points and 17.5 rebounds.

Duncan has not had much time to work on new moves. After '04, '05, and '06, he was coming back from injuries and more concerned with conditioning than new moves. Last year, he was resting from an NBA title.

This offseason is his first to work on new moves in a long time.

Look for his bank shot to be the best its ever been.

Mister Sinister
09-16-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't get why you're a Spurs fan. I've never read anything positive from you. If this team disappoints you so much why are you here? It's like Spurs Dynasty 21 reincarnated.
-Hiss- Speak not the name! Speak not the naaaaame!

duncan228
09-16-2008, 01:14 PM
-Hiss- Speak not the name! Speak not the naaaaame!

:lol Sorry.

slayermin
09-16-2008, 02:14 PM
The playoff schedule was released 1 month in advance, it could have been ANY team, it just happened to be the Spurs. The Playoffs have to be scheduled with the TV stations far in advance so it has nothing to do with the actual team playing. It could have been Rockets/Spurs for all they knew at the time of scheduling.

Link?

ambchang
09-16-2008, 02:24 PM

He's not, he's a troll posing as a Spurs fan.
I smell Louis, Princess Pimp, etc .....

ambchang
09-16-2008, 02:27 PM

I have not been looking at the playoff schedules, but I am quite sure they are released right after both the previous series were wrapped up. Games could go anywhere from 4 to 7 games, there are just too many combinations for the league to release the playoff schedules a month in advance.

However, if you have more information, I would be more than happy to read it.

Brutalis
09-16-2008, 03:01 PM

Last I heard the Fountain of Youth is yet to be found. When it is I'm sure Duncan will inject some in his legs and feet.

HarlemHeat37
09-16-2008, 05:09 PM
he's my favorite player, but Tim is clearly declining..he's still a top 5 player in the NBA, but the guy is in his 30's now..he's slowly going to decline every year, because that's just how age works..it's a natural decline..

he's still a playoff beast, but we obviously don't have early 2000's Duncan anymore..we don't have the same guy that carried an average supporting cast to a title in 2003..we can't expect that..Duncan can't carry us anymore, as we saw in the Lakers series, when he was the only one doing anything in single coverage..once the Lakers started doubling him, we were screwed..

this team is gonna be more about the improvement of Tony Parker..we NEED him to take the next step, and that's the way we're gonna get back to winning titles..

xellos88330
09-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Last I heard the Fountain of Youth is yet to be found. When it is I'm sure Duncan will inject some in his legs and feet.

I honestly don't think Tim has slowed down any at all. He has better teammates now than he did even with David Robinson. Spurs need to be able to attack from all angles and he makes sure that the team does that. Besides, players who rely on athleticism tend to fade alot faster than players who rely on basic skills. I honestly think that Timmy could easily get a few more MVP awards if he is ever needed to. He plays within the system, and the system doesn't require him being a superhero every night.

Galileo
09-16-2008, 07:23 PM
he's my favorite player, but Tim is clearly declining..he's still a top 5 player in the NBA, but the guy is in his 30's now..he's slowly going to decline every year, because that's just how age works..it's a natural decline..

he's still a playoff beast, but we obviously don't have early 2000's Duncan anymore..we don't have the same guy that carried an average supporting cast to a title in 2003..we can't expect that..Duncan can't carry us anymore, as we saw in the Lakers series, when he was the only one doing anything in single coverage..once the Lakers started doubling him, we were screwed..

this team is gonna be more about the improvement of Tony Parker..we NEED him to take the next step, and that's the way we're gonna get back to winning titles..

Duncan's career playoff averages are:

23.4 points
12.7 rebounds
3.5 assists

TOP (Total Offensive Production) = 39.6

against the Lakers he averaged:

22.4 points
17.4 rebounds
4.8 assists

TOP = 44.6

In 2003 playoffs he averaged:

24.7 points
15.4 rebounds
5.3 assists

TOP = 45.4

He's not declining.

Allanon
09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
I have not been looking at the playoff schedules, but I am quite sure they are released right after both the previous series were wrapped up. Games could go anywhere from 4 to 7 games, there are just too many combinations for the league to release the playoff schedules a month in advance.

However, if you have more information, I would be more than happy to read it.

Here's one, there was another thread about this during the Playoffs.

This one was last updated April 16th, I believe about a month before the WCF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3349965

lefty
09-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Wgaf

ambchang
09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Here's one, there was another thread about this during the Playoffs.

This one was last updated April 16th, I believe about a month before the WCF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3349965

Thanks. I never knew that's how they schedule playoff games.

howbouthemspurs
09-17-2008, 05:33 PM
hes too fundumental to have only one MVP season left in him.. i say he has at least 3.

Galileo
09-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks. I never knew that's how they schedule playoff games.

The playoff games are scheduled around the TV schedules, which like to feature the best games. They do NOT schedule the exact sequence of the conference finals during the first round. Only as the second round moves forward do they start to schedule the conference finals.

They only schedule the Finals exactly in advance at the beginning of the playoffs, for TV.

Stern rigged the schedule. Go back and look how long they delayed game 7 of the Hornets series, and then rammed the Lakers series down our throats.

m33p0
09-18-2008, 03:16 AM
Duncan's career playoff averages are:

23.4 points
12.7 rebounds
3.5 assists

TOP (Total Offensive Production) = 39.6

against the Lakers he averaged:

22.4 points
17.4 rebounds
4.8 assists

TOP = 44.6

In 2003 playoffs he averaged:

24.7 points
15.4 rebounds
5.3 assists

TOP = 45.4

He's not declining.
got any of his numbers against the Suns particularly those of the last 5 seasons? that should be fun.

HarlemHeat37
09-18-2008, 11:43 AM
interesting that you forgot to mention FG% in your stats..that's KIND OF important, isn't it? :rolleyes

obviously Tim is declining..the guy is in his 30's..there's no way we should all expect him to be the best player in the NBA like he was for so many years..it just doesn't happen like that, unless your name is Michael Jordan..

ambchang
09-18-2008, 01:32 PM
interesting that you forgot to mention FG% in your stats..that's KIND OF important, isn't it? :rolleyes

obviously Tim is declining..the guy is in his 30's..there's no way we should all expect him to be the best player in the NBA like he was for so many years..it just doesn't happen like that, unless your name is Michael Jordan..

Hakeem hit his peak in his early 30's, Shaq in his late 20's/early 30's, Kareem was quite effective still in his 30's, Magic was still at his peak in his 30's. Point is, many NBA players hit, or stay, at their peak in their early 30's.

Duncan's stats dropped a bit the last few years because of lesser minutes and better teammates. His playoff numbers are still as high as ever.

HarlemHeat37
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
I didn't say he wouldn't be able to play at a high level..he'll stop be a top 10 player, just like he was arguably even a top 3 player this year..but we've already seen his game slow down a bit, which is expected..

I don't think any of your examples apply here..Hakeem the only one being close..

Shaq at age 32 had an MVP caliber season(he probably should have won it), but he was clearly declining..Shaq of the 3-peat Lakers was arguably the most unstoppable player in NBA history..Shaq with the Heat toned down his game and had a more finesse style..still a top 5 player? yes, but obviously not as good as his peak..

Magic didn't play at that age, so it doesn't apply here..retired early for obvious reasons..

Kareem was obviously no longer as good as he was in his prime..

Hakeem is an interesting one..I don't think he hit his peak at that age..most successful? yes..but he definitely wasn't as good a defender and rebounder(naturally)..his scoring went up, but those years were also the highest usage %'s of his career..he was the best player in the NBA in those years, but I wouldn't necessarily say he was better than he was in his 20's..the numbers show that he certainly wasn't as good defensively and on the boards, despite still being near the top(or at the top in the case of defense) in those categories..

duncan228
09-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Magic didn't play at that age, so it doesn't apply here..retired early for obvious reasons.

IIRC, Magic retired in '91 at 32, then came back for the '92 ASG, then played again in '96 for a little while. He was 37. (Maybe 36)

I don't remember how good or not good his game was that last stretch, but he was playing.

hater
09-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Duncan does not give a shit about MVP. he wants another ring

HarlemHeat37
09-18-2008, 07:20 PM
ya, Magic did return..but I didn't count that..basketball-reference lists Magic's last season at age 31, so I'm not sure..

angelbelow
09-18-2008, 07:42 PM
duncan will be a beast.

Allanon
09-18-2008, 08:18 PM
The playoff games are scheduled around the TV schedules, which like to feature the best games. They do NOT schedule the exact sequence of the conference finals during the first round. Only as the second round moves forward do they start to schedule the conference finals.

They only schedule the Finals exactly in advance at the beginning of the playoffs, for TV.

Stern rigged the schedule. Go back and look how long they delayed game 7 of the Hornets series, and then rammed the Lakers series down our throats.

Where do you see this? Look at the schedule, all the dates are pre-planned and as far as I know, they kept to this schedule.

What screwed the Spurs was that the Lakers finished off the Jazz in 6 games where the Spurs took 7 games.

If you look at the Celtics (the other part in the Stern Conspiracy), they also played a game 7 and were turned around in the same amount of time as the Spurs (only 2 days) to play the Conference Finals just like the Spurs.

That would mean that Stern was trying to screw both the Spurs and the Celtics and wanted a "Lakers vs Pistons" Final.

Taking it to the Hole
09-18-2008, 11:36 PM
We just need to clone Tim and put four more of them out there with him. Tim always has said he thinks of himself as a point guard, only bigger. He already can shoot the 3, so what the hell, might as well let science be good for something.

duncan228
09-19-2008, 12:19 AM
We just need to clone Tim and put four more of them out there with him.

Hemotivo's sig:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/Hemotivosig.png

ambchang
09-19-2008, 08:21 AM
IIRC, Magic retired in '91 at 32, then came back for the '92 ASG, then played again in '96 for a little while. He was 37. (Maybe 36)

I don't remember how good or not good his game was that last stretch, but he was playing.

Magic wasn't that good after he returned. But at 32 when he retired, he was still at the top of his game, and if it wasn't for HIV, he would have easily have 3 or 4 more MVP type seasons left in him.

I didn't say he wouldn't be able to play at a high level..he'll stop be a top 10 player, just like he was arguably even a top 3 player this year..but we've already seen his game slow down a bit, which is expected..

I don't think any of your examples apply here..Hakeem the only one being close..

Shaq at age 32 had an MVP caliber season(he probably should have won it), but he was clearly declining..Shaq of the 3-peat Lakers was arguably the most unstoppable player in NBA history..Shaq with the Heat toned down his game and had a more finesse style..still a top 5 player? yes, but obviously not as good as his peak..

Magic didn't play at that age, so it doesn't apply here..retired early for obvious reasons..

Kareem was obviously no longer as good as he was in his prime..

Hakeem is an interesting one..I don't think he hit his peak at that age..most successful? yes..but he definitely wasn't as good a defender and rebounder(naturally)..his scoring went up, but those years were also the highest usage %'s of his career..he was the best player in the NBA in those years, but I wouldn't necessarily say he was better than he was in his 20's..the numbers show that he certainly wasn't as good defensively and on the boards, despite still being near the top(or at the top in the case of defense) in those categories..

Hakeem was clearly at his best during his early 30's. Yes his rebounding and blocked shots numbers went down by quite a bit, but that was more a change in the Rocket's pace and defensive philosophies than him actually declining. He was as quick as ever, and he was healthy (mentally, physically and spiritually).

Shaq hit his peak at around 27. And he sustained that peak until about 30. However, he has a lot of mileage on his body due to coming out of college early. By then, he was an 8-year vet, and he has never taken care of his body.

Even Jordan was at his peak at 32, but he is an exception because he pretty much had a 12-year peak.

Point is, basketball players hit their peaks, and can sustain them for a longer time than other sports, such as tennis, because other than the physical aspect, there are other things such the knowledge of the game, controlling the pace, using your teammates to your advantage, etc…

HarlemHeat37
09-19-2008, 11:18 AM
I agree..again, I wasn't saying that Duncan won't still be a star player..my point is simply that he will continue to get worse, just like 99% of other star players have at age 32..it's just natural IMO..

ambchang
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Of course, that I agree.

I am just glad that my favourite team had a player like Tim Duncan on it. I enjoyed, and am still enjoying, the qualities he brought to the team on a daily basis. The day Duncan hangs up will be a dark day for the Spurs. I doubt the team will be as lucky as what happened a decade ago and landed a franchise player when Robinson started to see his decline.

Spurtacus
09-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Garnett got MVP votes last season if I recall correctly. Duncan's numbers were equal to his. He plays both sides of the ball on a high level and should be a top 5 candidate every year.

SpurSupremacist
09-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I think Tim is good for around 22 and 13 with Manu out of the line-up. Is that good enough to win MVP? I think it would depend on whether or not the Spurs have the best record, which I could easily see happening, despite all of the doubters. People quickly forget we were only a game or 2 out of 1st place in the West last season. This team is arguably better than last years. Addition by subtraction. Yes, losing Barry hurt. Getting rid of Horry, however, was the best thing that could have ever happened.

I hope Bonner gets a lot more playing time this season. I'm actually more excited to see if Bonner will get more run than Mahinmi. Sure, Mahinmi is that above-average athlete everyone wants to see. People quickly forget, Bonner filled in for Tim and scored what, about 30 with about 20 rebounds? That doesn't happen by luck. It happens by getting a chance. I see Bonner as a Beno type, one that Popovich doesn't give enough freedom to or know how to handle. He's never going to be a lockdown defender and he's never going to shoot 50% from the 3 point line, but he is the best catch and shoot 3 point shooter that's currently on the roster. He's like Radmanovic for the Lakers, except he isn't soft as a pillow. PJ knows how to handle a guy like that, Popovich doesn't.