PDA

View Full Version : Stan Kelly gone?

xtremesteven33
09-15-2008, 11:21 PM
I have heard from an inside source that Stan Kelly is rumored to have been released from his PA duties.

Discuss.

honestfool84
09-15-2008, 11:26 PM
name the inside source.

xtremesteven33
09-15-2008, 11:29 PM
this person has told me not to reveal who he is, but what i can say is that he works for the spurs media.

braeden0613
09-15-2008, 11:30 PM
I hope it's not true. He may sound annoying, but it would be hard to get used to not hearing that nasal-ly voice .

samikeyp
09-15-2008, 11:31 PM
One could only hope.

Solid D
09-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Interesting. Rich Pych is cold. Instead of pounding the rock with the hammer...he's "dropping the hammer."

rAm
09-15-2008, 11:34 PM
If this is true, than thank god.

Sigz
09-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Here come the Spurs!

SAtown
09-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Here come the Spurs!

RIP

baseline bum
09-16-2008, 12:10 AM
So no more chants of "Little Help?"

Avitus1
09-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Hmmmm......

Brutalis
09-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Best news all summer!

Will they rid of the "Yall ready for this" music too? Oh please oh please...

DannyT
09-16-2008, 01:52 AM
Best news all summer!

that and the DMX lets get it onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....I always wait for the barks but they never come...the whole spurs audio scheme needs to be revamped to get the place krunk

SenorSpur
09-16-2008, 03:59 AM
Good! Maybe they'll give the job to the brother that is the Silver Stars PA announcer.

cool hand
09-16-2008, 06:10 AM
lets bring 'em back

cool hand
09-16-2008, 06:10 AM
little help

cool hand
09-16-2008, 06:11 AM
spurs ball

KEDA
09-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Go Spurs Goooooooooo!

urunobili
09-16-2008, 07:32 AM
was he also the PA announcer in the 2003 campaign?

phyzik
09-16-2008, 08:06 AM
as long as we dont get a studdering retard like the Detroit Pistons announcer then I dont mind at all.

JudynTX
09-16-2008, 08:16 AM
as long as we dont get a studdering retard like the Detroit Pistons announcer then I dont mind at all.

:lol It is time for Stan Kelly to retire.

Das Texan
09-16-2008, 08:26 AM
oh please let this one be true.

samikeyp
09-16-2008, 08:50 AM
was he also the PA announcer in the 2003 campaign?

yes

J.T.
09-16-2008, 08:53 AM
FUCKING AWESOME

MoSpur
09-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Who said this offseason was a fail?

Ocotillo
09-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Hey George Hill, if this back up point guard thing doesn't work out, how's your announcing abilities?

rAm
09-16-2008, 10:12 AM
spurs ball

SPURRRRRRRRRRRS BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

tp2021
09-16-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't understand the S. Kelly hate.

remingtonbo2001
09-16-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't understand the S. Kelly hate.

I like Stan Kelly. He sounds like San Antonio. He's not just some generic anouncer.

However, I can see the majority of posters prefer generic.

Buddy Holly
09-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Best news all summer!

THEY GOT RID OF THAT LAST YEAR!

How many time does that have to be stated?

Buddy Holly
09-16-2008, 12:22 PM
I like Stan Kelly. He sounds like San Antonio. He's not just some generic anouncer.

However, I can see the majority of posters prefer generic.

He sounds like San Antonio? WTF? How does someone sound like San Antonio?

Dude sucked when it came to announcing the line up, his voice was too nasally and he wasn't great at pumping up the crowd either.

tp2021
09-16-2008, 12:27 PM
It shouldn't be the PA announcer that pumps up a crowd!
That seems like too tough a task for any announcer anyway, to pump up the AT&T Center.

Buddy Holly
09-16-2008, 12:34 PM
It shouldn't be the PA announcer that pumps up a crowd!
That seems like too tough a task for any announcer anyway, to pump up the AT&T Center.

What?

All PA announcers do it.

shelshor
Good! Maybe they'll give the job to the brother that is the Silver Stars PA announcer.

He's already there; that's Big Kev the timeout festivities dude

AlamoSpursFan
ASF,

It's true.

And Stan's replacement has already been picked.

(It's not me)

CD

All of you Chris haters can breathe a sigh of relief.

angel_luv
09-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Interesting. Rich Pych is cold. Instead of pounding the rock with the hammer...he's "dropping the hammer."

Seriously :lol

I liked Stan Kelly.

But I might also like his replacement, so will just have to wait and see.

So long as it isn't Avery Johnson. :wow

duncan228
09-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Stan's voice doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother some of you. Maybe because I'm on League Pass and don't hear him as often as local fans might. His voice is nasally, and can get whiney, but to me he's the voice of the Spurs. If he's gone, I'm sure I'll eventually associate the new voice with them.

SpursWoman
09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
So how many of you cheering at his alleged release even go to games regularly to listen to him? Brutalis? Don't you live in Arkansas? :lol

Stan Kelly is fine ... I've heard A LOT W-W-w-w-worse. I'll never understand the irrational, over-dramatic hate for him that's always displayed here.

tp2021
09-16-2008, 12:47 PM
What?

All PA announcers do it.

I mean, what is supposed to get the crowd going is the play of the team, or whatever little show is put on during timeouts and breaks. It seems, by the previous comments made in this thread, that nobody wants a PA that tries to become part of the show, i.e. John Mason.

AlamoSpursFan
09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
If he's gone, I'm sure I'll eventually associate the new voice with them.

I'm almost fully acclimated to Schoening as the radio voice. I was a huge Jay Howard fan.

"Plus ça change,
Plus c'est la même chose
The more that things change
The more they stay the same" -- Neil Peart, Circumstances

angel_luv
09-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm almost fully acclimated to Schoening as the radio voice. I was a huge Jay Howard fan.

"Plus ça change,
Plus c'est la même chose
The more that things change
The more they stay the same" -- Neil Peart, Circumstances

I wish Schoening was the replacement for Kelly.

Schoening is awesome!

T Park
09-16-2008, 01:08 PM
schoening still sucks ass. For a pro play by play man he has wayyyyy too many hems and haws and dead air.

If they replace stan with some obnoxious pa guy i'm done going to games

Solid D
09-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Stan has been around so long and at so many venues that folks in South Texas are used to him. He is the PA guy for the UT Longhorns basketball games, the SA Missions Baseball games, plus other events...plus his radio gig. I personally enjoyed Pat Tallman in the early days of the Spurs but Pat was taken from us (cancer). I think Stan had his own battle with cancer that he was able to work through, if I remember correctly.

Stan does not have a classic voice for radio/PA. He is a bit nasally, as has been observed.

One of the distracting things about Stan is that he comes across as nervous and shaky when he is announcing big games. People who have never been to a Spurs game still hear Stan on TV when he is announcing the games. Any PA person's flaws are accentuated when they are on the "Big Stage" of the NBA Finals. The nasal quality doesn't bother me much, since I'm used to his voice. The shakiness is discomforting every time.

I will say that Stan does a solid job, he is very professional, and he has a good understanding of the game, whether basketball or baseball. He keeps it simple and he doesn't trash talk with his tone. Some people like that sort of thing, but as for me, saying something like "Deeee-troiiiiit baaaaassss-ket-baaaaaall" after an opposing team's turnover is very 3rd grader...sort of like "ha-ha.... my ball".

I wish Stan the best if the rumor is true. I respect his professionalism and his longevity.

JudynTX
09-16-2008, 01:30 PM
All of you Chris haters can breathe a sigh of relief.

Is Jay Howard coming back?

xtremesteven33
09-16-2008, 01:48 PM
the ONLY thing that i like from Stan Kelly was his

"MANUUUU"

koriwhat
09-16-2008, 01:49 PM
who gives a shit who announces the games? i'm only there to watch some SPURSSSSSS BASKETBALLLLL!!!

Blake
09-16-2008, 01:51 PM
"Here comes my pink slip"

aww.....I had no problems with Stan Kelly.

Shelly
09-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Stan doesn't bother me.

The one that bothered me was when Crazy Lou was around. He was annoying.

ducks
09-16-2008, 01:54 PM
manu should announce tell he is well

Fermixalot
09-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Stan Kelly is decent, but he does have some great little quips (as stated above) so losing him would be akin to stubbing your toe badly.

Though if they could somehow incorporate Schoening's "That's a Manu tres!" to the live announcing, I wouldn't care what else was being said since that would hold be over.

Come to think of it, while far-fetched and not too well thought out, having the local announce team (Sean and Land) somehow available to the ATT Center fans during the game would be cool.

Obstructed_View
09-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I liked Stan 15 years ago when he didn't sound like a car trying to start on a cold day.

Spurs Brazil
09-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Stan's voice doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother some of you. Maybe because I'm on League Pass and don't hear him as often as local fans might. His voice is nasally, and can get whiney, but to me he's the voice of the Spurs. If he's gone, I'm sure I'll eventually associate the new voice with them.

Agree

T Park
09-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Stan doesn't bother me.

A freaking men on that

Brutalis
09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
THEY GOT RID OF THAT LAST YEAR!

How many time does that have to be stated?

Several considering I wouldn't know because I'm not in or around SA to attend the games. Nor have I seen it posted.

tp2021
09-16-2008, 03:04 PM
There was a thread about it, I think.

dbreiden83080
09-16-2008, 03:11 PM
If True that is good, his voice is very annoying for the job and i don't get why he was chosen to do it in the first place.

SAtown
09-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Isn't Avery Johnson looking for a job?

Buddy Holly
09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Several considering I wouldn't know because I'm not in or around SA to attend the games. Nor have I seen it posted.

If you're not in SA nor attend games, why would you care what their intro song was? :lol

And yes, there were threads made about this when it happened.

remingtonbo2001
09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
He sounds like San Antonio? WTF? How does someone sound like San Antonio?

Precisely the point I was trying to make.

Stan is a wonderful announcer.

If you can't appreciate it, fine. That's a stick you're going to have to pull out from your own butt.

King
09-16-2008, 03:36 PM
schoening still sucks ass. For a pro play by play man he has wayyyyy too many hems and haws and dead air.

If they replace stan with some obnoxious pa guy i'm done going to games

No you're not. You'll still be at the same amount of games as you would if they had Chuck Booms doing the PA.

Solid D
09-16-2008, 03:43 PM
I liked Stan 15 years ago when he didn't sound like a car trying to start on a cold day.

:lol

Biernutz
09-16-2008, 03:44 PM
It's time for a change!!

G-Nob
09-16-2008, 04:26 PM
You silly humans are always makin sh*t up!

stxspurs
09-16-2008, 04:29 PM
2009's Chant ....s A Basketbaaaaallllll

Anti.Hero
09-16-2008, 04:31 PM
I've got an inside source that says the new guy is Avery.

Please do not ask for for any further details.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-16-2008, 04:32 PM
:depressed I liked Kelly.

century
09-16-2008, 05:35 PM

Great, that squeaky little bitch as an announcer...:bang

duncan228
09-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Wouldn't the voice of the Spurs be Bill Schoening, or Paul Castro? They do all 82 regular season games and playoff games. Plus they describe the Spurs, Stan just says 3-ball or assist by Tony Parker. or Tim Duncan From Manu!

I watch on League Pass. I get the opponent's home call more than I get the Spur's. I don't hear any of them as often as locals do. Stan's nasally voice stands out to me. :lol

If we're talking color and play-by-play guys it's another conversation. The PA guys are in the background for me.

lurker23
09-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Stan has been around so long and at so many venues that folks in South Texas are used to him. He is the PA guy for the UT Longhorns basketball games, the SA Missions Baseball games, plus other events...plus his radio gig. I personally enjoyed Pat Tallman in the early days of the Spurs but Pat was taken from us (cancer). I think Stan had his own battle with cancer that he was able to work through, if I remember correctly.

Stan does not have a classic voice for radio/PA. He is a bit nasally, as has been observed.

One of the distracting things about Stan is that he comes across as nervous and shaky when he is announcing big games. People who have never been to a Spurs game still hear Stan on TV when he is announcing the games. Any PA person's flaws are accentuated when they are on the "Big Stage" of the NBA Finals. The nasal quality doesn't bother me much, since I'm used to his voice. The shakiness is discomforting every time.

I will say that Stan does a solid job, he is very professional, and he has a good understanding of the game, whether basketball or baseball. He keeps it simple and he doesn't trash talk with his tone. Some people like that sort of thing, but as for me, saying something like "Deeee-troiiiiit baaaaassss-ket-baaaaaall" after an opposing team's turnover is very 3rd grader...sort of like "ha-ha.... my ball".

I wish Stan the best if the rumor is true. I respect his professionalism and his longevity.

Very well said, Solid D, I agree. From my experience with him, he's a good guy and very professional. If these rumors are true, I wish him nothing but the best.

Admiral
09-16-2008, 07:46 PM
I like Stan Kelly. I obviously don't know much about him other than the times I've heard him do the introductions or an occasional "Here come the Spurs!" in the background on TV. But his shaky, nasally voice has character. Most of the more well-known PA guys have that quality.

If he is leaving, I wish him all the best.

bigdog
09-16-2008, 08:15 PM
If this is true, I wish him the best............but it's about time! Sure, when you hear his voice, you know its the voice of the Spurs, blah blah blah, but it really was time for a change. What really made up my mind about him wasn't so much hearing him at the games, but when they had the PA announcers say the lineups during the finals, it was embarassing to hear his voice on national TV.

If Big Kev is really next in line for the job, that would be awesome.

angel_luv
09-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Stan doesn't bother me.

Really? I liked him a lot- especially during the play offs. He gave great crowd rallying speeches. One team, one goal etc.

angel_luv
09-16-2008, 08:37 PM

That is so not funny!

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-16-2008, 08:39 PM
If Avery were the new PA announcer, that would be so fucking awesome.

timvp
09-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Stan Kelly's voice has gotten worse over the years but I never really cared enough to critique whether he should be fired or stay on board. Although if he is let go, I will kinda miss his corny lines. He stayed out of the way for the most part, which I think a good PA announce should.

The person who I can't stand is Bill Schoening. I only have to listen to him during preseason but he's so horrible it makes it difficult to listen to. Hopefully in this big overhaul Jay Howard is brought back. Howard, before his ego got out of control, was the best radio play by play man I've ever heard. Plus he was Pop's buddy and Pop let him watch all the practices so he had unmatched inside info.

Oh and the Pop Shows that were hosted by Howard were by far the best.

Russ
09-16-2008, 09:34 PM
The Spurs have been in a race to the bottom regarding their "voices":

Radio: Jay Howard to Bill Schoening (even leaving out the great Terry Stembridge)

TV: Joel Myers to Dick Stockton to Bill Land

PA: Pat Tallman to Stan Kelly to Some Local Pop DJ

Buddy Holly
09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Precisely the point I was trying to make.

Stan is a wonderful announcer.

If you can't appreciate it, fine. That's a stick you're going to have to pull out from your own butt.

Well, there's a difference between sounding like San Antonio and being the most familiar/recognizable voice of the Spurs. Your point was something completely different than your end result of "Stan is the voice of the Spurs."

I have no stick in my butt, I just asked how someone can sound like "San Antonio."

If you get overly offended from a simple question, well, you might be the who needs to remove the pipe and dildo lodged up your ass.

Juanobili
09-16-2008, 10:34 PM
I love that dude

He IS the voice of the Spurs. I don't go to too many games but when I hear his voice over the speakers I know I'm at a Spurs game and feel at home :]

baseline bum
09-16-2008, 11:03 PM

The person who I can't stand is Bill Schoening. I only have to listen to him during preseason but he's so horrible it makes it difficult to listen to. Hopefully in this big overhaul Jay Howard is brought back. Howard, before his ego got out of control, was the best radio play by play man I've ever heard. Plus he was Pop's buddy and Pop let him watch all the practices so he had unmatched inside info.

:tu

Agreed, Schoening is awful. I really tried to give the guy a chance, but he sucks. Whenever my friends would come in and hear me listening to his calls on audio league pass they'd clown the shit out of him. Too fucking bad Jay Howard was such a dick on his radio show, because he's one of the greatest play by play men I've ever heard. The only people I'd put above him are Chick Hearn and Marv Albert.

Jay was outstanding at helping the listener to create an image in his head and know exactly what was happening in the game. The only one better than him at that was Chick.

I wish they'd find some way to bring Greg Papa back for the tv play by play. I've never been a Stockton fan and Land sucks.

SequSpur
09-16-2008, 11:05 PM
god, you guys are gay.

T Park
09-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Stan Kelly's voice has gotten worse over the years but I never really cared enough to critique whether he should be fired or stay on board. Although if he is let go, I will kinda miss his corny lines. He stayed out of the way for the most part, which I think a good PA announce should.

Oh and the Pop Shows that were hosted by Howard were by far the best.

Yes

double

triple

quadruple yes yes yes yes

SequSpur
09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Who listens to the fuckin radio anyway? God, you guys are gay bangers livin in the 70s. Who the hell is Bill anyway?

birdy219
09-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Who listens to the fuckin radio anyway? God, you guys are gay bangers livin in the 70s. Who the hell is Bill anyway?

There are those of us who don't live near San Antonio and the radio is the only way to listen (watch) the games as they happen. I appreciate having the radio. Now I have league pass, but I still listen after the game. Bill is great. :flag:
My mother and sister listen to Spurs games on the radio. BTW none of us are gay. :lol

Rynospursfan
09-16-2008, 11:34 PM
If this is true, fuck him, thank god they finally moved on.

If this is just some made up bull shit, then I always loved Stan Kelly. Your the man Stan.

DespЏrado
09-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Stan has become an institution for the Spurs. Love or hate him he's been there so long it will be difficult to imagine anyone else with the mic. I for one will miss his patented cackled voice. There just isn't another one quite like him, and in this case unique isn't all that bad. His voice however does seem to be getting weaker as the years go on, so I wouldn't dismiss a replacement out of hand.

I would also love to see Jay Howard on the radio once again. The guy was absolutely everything Spurs. He was almost as good as having Spurstalk back in the day before I realized Spurstalk (spursreport at the time) existed. And the Spurs haven't yet found even halfway decent of a replacement in terms of talent, which brings me back to Stan. I don't want to see him go just for change's sake. If they get someone better then I'm all for it, but don't settle for the equivalent of Bill Schoening doing the PA.

DMX7
09-17-2008, 01:22 AM
I like him but the Spurs could use some fresh faces around including that position.

Bang
09-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Two Words: Big Kev

BANG!!!

T Park
09-17-2008, 02:28 AM
Big Kev could be ok, but he can be obnoxious "hey listen to me" at the Silver Star's games.

Whatever though, if they hire someone that wants to be more about them and not the game and leaving it alone, like Stan Kelly does, my tickets are for sale, and I'll just watch it from the comfort of my GF's couch.

Bang
09-17-2008, 02:34 AM
Big Kev could be ok, but he can be obnoxious "hey listen to me" at the Silver Star's games.

Mark my words: Big Kev

xtremesteven33
09-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Maybe Stan Kelly was used as a CIA assett for CIA Pop to deflate the momentum of the away team with his nasaly deflating voice.....think about it....

SequSpur
09-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Stan Kelly is washed up.

Sigz
09-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Here come the spurs!

Jimmy Bobby
09-18-2008, 01:45 AM
I am an insider. Believe me when I say that Stan Kelly will be proud to pass along his crown to Big Kev.

Mike Taylor would have done the gig if he didn't have more important radio commitments.

:lobt2:

Brutalis
09-18-2008, 03:00 AM
If this is true, fuck him, thank god they finally moved on.

If this is just some made up bull shit, then I always loved Stan Kelly. Your the man Stan.

:rollin

AlamoSpursFan
09-18-2008, 04:29 AM
I couldn't disagree more. I've loved listening to Bill Schoening since his UT days. I always hear "Craig Way is good and all, but I miss the Bill Schoening broadcasts." Plus Schoening goes to the shoot arounds and practices throughout the season. He doesn't say his inside info, but he does do a great job with the broadcasts and 20-second timeouts.

I liked Schoening when he was the Longhorns broadcaster. I have grown accustomed to him as the Spurs guy, but I much prefer Jay Howard.

Craig Way just sucks, IMO.

AlamoSpursFan
09-18-2008, 04:30 AM

Kinda hard to watch tv and drive an 18-wheeler at the same time (although I know a few guys who have tried it in the past :wow ).

urunobili
09-18-2008, 07:35 AM
we need a blacker approach...

Whisky Dog
09-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Stan's gone? Well, I can't be a Spurs fan anymore.

No more "twoooooo minutes, twoooooooooooooooooooooooooo minutes!!!"

kdaltcu
03-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Coincidence that the Spurs start struggling ever since they fired him? I think not. Watching replay of game1 Suns series 08, Stan Kelly was one of a kind as far as know how to fire up a crowd and the players! Big Kev has gotta go.

Bring back Stan!

DesignatedT
03-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Coincidence that the Spurs start struggling ever since they fired him? I think not. Watching replay of game1 Suns series 08, Stan Kelly was one of a kind as far as know how to fire up a crowd and the players! Big Kev has gotta go.

Bring back Stan!

while big kev isnt the best he is definitely better than stan...

as long as its not that skinny white guy that replaced big kev when he was hurt... that guy was horrendous....

m-m-m-matt bonnerrrrrrrr

MaNu4Tres
03-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Stan Kelly was a legend in my eyes.

I personally miss Stan.

timtonymanu
03-26-2010, 12:35 AM
i miss that voice.

I use to pinch my nose and say the players' names.

But yea I remember the substitute for Big Kev last year. He was horrible.

Tony Paaaarkerrrrrrrr
Roger Mason JRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

benefactor
03-26-2010, 06:12 AM
Bring back Stan!
The games are hard enough to watch as is. No thanks.

Lackluster
03-26-2010, 08:43 AM

Bring back Stan!

agreed. :toast

ajballer4
03-26-2010, 09:23 AM
i miss that voice.

I use to pinch my nose and say the players' names.

But yea I remember the substitute for Big Kev last year. He was horrible.

Tony Paaaarkerrrrrrrr
Roger Mason JRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The guy who subbed for Big Kev is the guy who does the games, Chuck.