PDA

View Full Version : Democrats Push A Sham Energy Bill

Biernutz
09-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Congress Votes on Backroom Energy Bill
by Elisabeth Meinecke
09/16/2008

Democrats introduced a 290 page energy bill at 9:45 p.m. Monday night – a bill currently pending on the House floor. The bill reportedly did not go through any committees or subcommittees, and Democratic leaders are not allowing a single amendment to be offered.

If passed by both houses, the bill would keep 80 percent to 88 percent of known domestic reserves permanently off limits. States would not receive any revenue by allowing offshore drilling, and electricity costs would increase and potentially double in certain states, Republican opponents say. There would be no drilling allowed less than 50 miles offshore -- where experts predict 80 percent to 88 percent of America’s domestic reserves are located.

The bill also lacks litigation reform needed to ensure leases will not be tied up by environmentalist-driven lawsuits and makes no provisions for nuclear or clean coal energy.

Leaders of the Republican Revolt who have been fighting for a solution to America’s energy crisis are outraged. Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) said the Democrats’ position shifted from “drill nothing” to “drill almost-nothing” and called the bill a “charade” on the House floor.

“It is not a term that I use lightly,” Pence said, “My constituents are hurting. It’s a political press release masquerading [as legislation]. The American people deserve better than that.”

Pence said he asked Gov. Mark Sanford of South Carolina how likely his state would be to allow offshore drilling if it did not receive any revenue.

“[He] laughed out loud,” Pence said.

About 150 Republicans were lined up to give the traditional one-minute speeches this morning when Congress opened, but at 10 a.m. the Democrats announced only 30 speeches would be allowed, reneging on an earlier understanding to allow an unlimited number of speeches. When House Republican Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) objected, they agreed to add 20 minutes to the allotted time, meaning only 50 Republicans’ voices were heard.

“Bring a full and fair debate to this floor, and we will achieve a bipartisan result,” Pence said.

Earlier Tuesday afternoon, Pence said he and other leaders will fight to delay consideration of the bill so that the American people can see what the Democrats have placed on the table. Should the bill pass, however, Pence said the Republicans will use every moment between now and Election Day to show the American people that at least one party cares about America’s energy interests.

“We’re going to continue to battle,” Pence said.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=28577

cool hand
09-16-2008, 08:15 PM
energy bill doen't mean drill for oil everywher, besides don't you think we would have drilled for it by now.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-16-2008, 09:26 PM
so instead of repeating themselves 149 times they only get to repeat themselves 49 times? boo hoo

republicans are funny when they cry foul when the democrats have them by the balls

i think there are too many pro-drill dems for this to pass

You're missing the main point of this, which is the bullshit legislation offered up by Pelosi and Camp Obama. Fucking lame.

Anti.Hero
09-16-2008, 09:35 PM
What would the founding fathers be thinking if they knew Pelsoi and Obama were running things. haha

Clandestino
09-16-2008, 09:48 PM
What would the founding fathers be thinking if they knew Pelsoi and Obama were running things. haha

We know where Obama would be back in those days

Cant_Be_Faded
09-16-2008, 11:28 PM
so instead of repeating themselves 149 times they only get to repeat themselves 49 times? boo hoo

republicans are funny when they cry foul when the democrats have them by the balls

i think there are too many pro-drill dems for this to pass

It's not supposed to pass, i think its just supposed to help them out in the future so the Dems can say "We tried to pass an energy bill, and most of us voted on it, but republicans didn't".
I like this move. Definitely seems like the Dems are using their power to fuck over those on the right in the correct way, instead of being the pussies that they are naturally inclined to be.
"My constituents are hurting, owwww, i cry foul, republicans aren't supposed to be taken advantage of"

ROFL

Look at the bright side. At least this rushed document is not instituting mechanisms for a police state and giving the government the right to take away our civil liberties. But then again, that would be a good thing, right republicans?

2centsworth
09-16-2008, 11:34 PM
It's not supposed to pass, i think its just supposed to help them out in the future so the Dems can say "We tried to pass an energy bill, and most of us voted on it, but republicans didn't".
I like this move. Definitely seems like the Dems are using their power to fuck over those on the right in the correct way, instead of being the pussies that they are naturally inclined to be.
"My constituents are hurting, owwww, i cry foul, republicans aren't supposed to be taken advantage of"

ROFL

Look at the bright side. At least this rushed document is not instituting mechanisms for a police state and giving the government the right to take away our civil liberties. But then again, that would be a good thing, right republicans?

atleast you're honest, but the only people that win are the DNC elites. The rest of us, including 99% of democrats lose.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-16-2008, 11:34 PM
I can't stop laughing when I read this quote

"My constituents are hurting"

Republicans are like fucking Laker Fans. They think they have this god given right to be the benefactor of every political scenario, and every time they fuck over someone else its simply because they're better than the other, lesser party.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-16-2008, 11:46 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/16/offshore.oil.drilling.congress/index.html

House OKs bill allowing more offshore oil drilling

From Deirdre Walsh
CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House of Representatives on Tuesday night passed an energy bill clearing the way for more oil drilling off U.S. coasts, but not nearly as much as Republican leaders wanted.
The bill would expand offshore oil drilling, but not to the extent that many Republicans want.

The bill would expand offshore oil drilling, but not to the extent that many Republicans want.

The bill was passed by a vote of 236-189.

Many Republicans opposed the bill because it would allow new oil drilling only between 50 and 100 miles offshore. Republicans generally want to allow new drilling starting 3 miles from shore.

Republicans also objected to provisions repealing tax cuts for the oil industry and what they said was a lack of incentive for states to allow drilling on their land.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, told reporters Tuesday: "The American taxpayers have been ripped off for years on offshore drilling. This bill changes that."

Before the vote, Pelosi said the bill presented a choice between "the status quo, which is preferred by Big Oil," and "change for the future to take our country in a new direction."

Fifteen Republicans voted for the largely Democrat-backed bill. Thirteen Democrats voted against it.

The Senate, meanwhile, could vote on various energy proposals, including more offshore drilling, as early as this week.

The House bill would require states to give their permission for drilling on their land. It also would offer incentives for renewable energy, require the government to release oil from its emergency reserve, and force oil companies to drill on federal lands they already lease from the government.

Democratic leaders had previously opposed Republican-led efforts to repeal a 1981 law barring most offshore drilling. But they changed course over the August recess, saying their new plans would allow some expanded drilling. See where U.S. offshore drilling is banned »

But Republicans say the House bill wouldn't expand offshore drilling enough. Before the vote, Rep. Mike Pence, an Indiana Republican, called the bill "a charade," denying it would do what its backers claim.

"This is not 'yes' to drilling. This is 'yes, but,' " he said.

"This is 'yes, but no drilling in Alaska, no drilling in the Eastern Gulf, no drilling inside 50 miles,' " Pence said. "This is 'yes, but no litigation reform that will prevent radical environmental attorneys from tying up leases even before a single shovel of dirt is turned.' "

Democrats and Republicans traded harsh words on the House floor Tuesday in the debate over the bill.

Rep. Anthony Weiner, a New York Democrat, said President Bush's "idea of an energy policy is holding hands with the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, embracing him with a big smooch."

When the Republicans "controlled Congress, [they] passed their own energy bill, signed into law by the president. We got into this mess," Weiner said. ( :toast )

But Rep. Jeb Hensarling, a Texas Republican, shot back that the Democrats' bill is a "sham" and a "fraud."
advertisement

"This is a bill designed to ensure Democrats' re-election, not designed to ensure affordable energy in America," Hensarling said. (Uh, yeah)

Hensarling also complained about how the bill was brought to the floor: "No amendments, no substitutes, no committee hearings. Is this democracy? No." ( :( :( :( )

2centsworth
09-16-2008, 11:52 PM
keep in mind even from 50-100 miles there is still zero revenue sharing which means zero incentive for states to approve drilling.

Texas receives 35% from revenue sharing agreements.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Yeah, it's not gonna pass the Senate. But the political spear is there. And its very fun to read republicans crying foul. Laker fans, I tell ya,

2centsworth
09-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah, it's not gonna pass the Senate. But the political spear is there. And its very fun to read republicans crying foul. Laker fans, I tell ya,

unfortunately politics by the elites is viewed as a sport. that's why economically I'm a pessimist.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-17-2008, 12:02 AM
After getting assraped and sidelined for 6 straight years, and then expected by republicans to be bipartisan and work across the aisle, I would actually be mad if they didn't do stuff like this. Else we might as well be a one party nation. In fact, I still think they've still been too easy-going and twat-like. Talking about how Republicans had the power yet had no foresight or desire to correct the course is a cheap soundbyte but it does resonate with a degree of truth. And that is the weakness the Dems need to exploit in flashy ways.

2centsworth
09-17-2008, 12:08 AM
as far as the politics of the matter, I think it will work against the dems. People are not stupid, no matter what the libs want you to believe.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Yes, they are; see: the Palin Effect.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-17-2008, 12:13 AM

Yeah, it's awesome that Dems are playing politics while the country gets fucked over.

When do we get to see some leadership in D.C. instead of the perpetual pissing match between Dems and Republicans? George Washington was right.

Nbadan
09-17-2008, 12:13 AM

:lol Nicely played...

PixelPusher
09-17-2008, 12:14 AM
as far as the politics of the matter, I think it will work against the dems. People are not stupid, no matter what the libs want you to believe.

"This election is not about issues," said Davis. "This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates."

2centsworth
09-17-2008, 12:19 AM

that's where you and I disagree, but I get the comeback will be that I'm stupid.

If creating jobs and wealth makes me stupid, and then I'm dumb as a doornail.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Yeah, it's awesome that Dems are playing politics while the country gets fucked over.

When do we get to see some leadership in D.C. instead of the perpetual pissing match between Dems and Republicans? George Washington was right.

Okay Laker fan, like the war on terror did not/is not fuck/fucking the country over, whine and cry me a river, the democrats are not doing anything new just continuing the game that was established before they came into power two years ago.

If you don't like it then invent the flux capacitor and go back to 1998, 2000 or 2004 and kick yourself in the fucking ass for being a dipshit that bought into the whole 'we are republican we are the future' bull shit.

Cant_Be_Faded
that's where you and I disagree, but I get the comeback will be that I'm stupid.

I don't think you're stupid.

Nbadan

I'm not sure how Palin can get credit for any of those...Alaska was not hurting for jobs when Palin came along..

Cant_Be_Faded
09-17-2008, 12:31 AM
People pretend like every step of the way from the time of Newt to 2006 we did not hear Democrats, pundits, and constituents crying for bipartisanship. The Democrats cried because they wanted stuff more their way, the pundits cried because they knew such a blatant assraping by the majority would result in a major backlash, and constituents cried because "they were hurting".

Laker fans.

I can only imagine how many flagons of elephant jizz you'd chug if the Democrats had a real majority in congress today.

But--But--But....my constituents are hurting!!!

It's called Newton's Third Law, bitches.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-17-2008, 12:57 AM
People pretend like every step of the way from the time of Newt to 2006 we did not hear Democrats, pundits, and constituents crying for bipartisanship. The Democrats cried because they wanted stuff more their way, the pundits cried because they knew such a blatant assraping by the majority would result in a major backlash, and constituents cried because "they were hurting".

Laker fans.

I can only imagine how many flagons of elephant jizz you'd chug if the Democrats had a real majority in congress today.

But--But--But....my constituents are hurting!!!

It's called Newton's Third Law, bitches.

Tell me you're not this upset over some politician's comments, you're smarter than this.

Of course you're also licking Obama's nuts over his vows of bipartisanship, when their Congressional records show McCain has been significantly more bipartisan in his efforts than The One.

spurster
09-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Basically, neither Republications nor Democrats seem willing to compromise on this. The Democrats want to keep substantial limits on drilling and want to change the tax incentives very strongly toward renewables (increase on oil, decrease on renewables). The Republicans want drill, drill, drill, let market forces judge renewables, and never ever raise taxes on anything (even if you lower taxes somewhere else). There is a compromise there somewhere. From my viewpoint, going to 50-miles should start a conversation about where you could end up somewhere in the middle. Also, incentives for global warming and continued dependence on oil, which means ME oil no matter how much you drill, is not too smart nowadays.

whottt
09-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Basically, neither Republications nor Democrats seem willing to compromise on this. The Democrats want to keep substantial limits on drilling and want to change the tax incentives very strongly toward renewables (increase on oil, decrease on renewables). The Republicans want drill, drill, drill, let market forces judge renewables, and never ever raise taxes on anything (even if you lower taxes somewhere else). There is a compromise there somewhere. From my viewpoint, going to 50-miles should start a conversation about where you could end up somewhere in the middle. Also, incentives for global warming and continued dependence on oil, which means ME oil no matter how much you drill, is not too smart nowadays.

What were gas prices when we elected that wonderful Democrat controlled Congress?

Come to think of it...what was the unemployment rate then?

2centsworth
09-17-2008, 09:20 AM
If you think Sarah Palin would EVER in her entire lifetime be a suitable President of the United States then yes, you are stupid.

That's exactly what i think about obama. He's done nada.