PDA

View Full Version : Massive Casualties, Hurricane Ike and the News Blackout

Nbadan
09-16-2008, 10:45 PM
More and more Independent accounts are starting to emerge that the corporate media is hiding the true number of causalities from Hurricane Ike....

Former Tylerites Braved the Storm in Galveston, Houston
File photos
Mark Collette and Rhiannon Meyers

The following is a first-hand account of the destruction of Galveston Island by Hurricane Ike by Mark Collette, former Tyler Paper reporter, who lives there with his wife, Rhiannon Meyers, also a former Tyler Paper reporter and now a reporter for the Galveston County Daily News.

Collette sent an e-mail, from which this information was included, to let friends and family know they are doing fine.

The island, as a whole, looks like a war zone. The structures that weren’t destroyed have been ruined by water. Fire destroyed at least 17 buildings. One entire apartment building collapsed.

Every structure built over the water in front of the Seawall was destroyed and left little trace, except for the Flagship Hotel, which was severely damaged and separated from the island.

Some people are believed to still be inside but cannot be reached immediately because the pilings on the building were damaged, so a helicopter can’t land on top.

Much if not most of the property on the Bolivar Peninsula is now debris. Homes on the West End of Galveston Island that used to be behind the dunes are now over open water. The Seawall was covered in chunks of concrete that weigh hundreds of pounds.

Authorities are still in search-and-rescue mode. About 24,000 people didn’t heed evacuation orders. Rescuers are leaving the dead in houses and moving on to look for the living.

Unlike in New Orleans after Katrina, they are not spray painting a giant "X" on a building when they find bodies. Instead, they are putting discrete stickers on the buildings. On the one hand, government officials seem to be trying to keep the media from portraying the true extent of the disaster, but on the other hand officers are tipping off reporters about deaths and rescues.

Rhiannon said the amount of buildings reduced to rubble suggests that more bodies will be found and the magnitude of the disaster will become clearer in the coming days.

A couple thousand have probably been rescued, a couple thousand have left the island on buses since the storm. Thankfully, for those who remain, the government has arrived with food, water and ice, and the weather has cooled so that people can stay comfortable just with open windows.

Rhiannon said those now choosing to remain on the island are mostly poor, homeless, sick and/or elderly. One guy on Bolivar refused to leave because rescuers refused to accommodate his pet lion. The folks on the peninsula are a different breed.

Boats and other debris crashed into the causeway linking the island to the mainland. Construction on the new causeway was almost complete before the storm, but the southbound side was still a section or two short of reaching the mainland. Now, the lanes of the northbound side that were being used for southbound traffic are inaccessible because the road buckled in the storm.

Because of that and lack of services, it’s going to be a while before anybody is allowed back on the island. There’s talk that the city plans on letting only residents back in on Tuesday, and even then making them return to the mainland by nightfall. I doubt this will happen by Tuesday because of the ongoing search and rescue efforts.

As for our first-floor apartment (located a few blocks inland from the Seawall), there were 8 inches to a foot of water inside. This means water at street level was at least waist deep, and it also means there wasn’t any part of the island’s surface that didn’t get submerged.

The walls in our apartment that are parallel to the Seawall had watermarks as high as three feet, suggesting that waves rolled through the building somehow, even though the windows didn’t break. Rhiannon said the smell is awful. But we have renter’s insurance, and I took all the photos and most of the other keepsakes with me when I evacuated.

At the top of a fence at a school near our apartment, Rhiannon saw debris that got caught when the water was at or above the fence. That means that area was under at least 8 feet of water.

(During the hurricane) Rhiannon and about 800 other reporters, city officials and emergency workers holed up in the San Luis Resort hotel on the Seawall. The hotel is built atop an old military bunker and is probably the highest point on the island.

The storm surge never made it into the lobby, but rainwater penetrated the upper floors, drained through the walls and bubbled into the lobby, covering the floor by a few inches.

Before the wind got too strong, Rhiannon was on the 15th floor with a group of firefighters who watched fires burn around the city and were unable to do anything about it because most of the island was already under water. When the wind picked up, everyone went downstairs.

She and the rest of the newspaper staff have been resilient. The newspaper’s normal disaster plan calls for establishing a temporary copy desk in Houston while some reporters stay on the island at the Daily News, a super sturdy building with huge generators.

No one counted on water rising high enough to flood the generators. Editors were cut off from reporters, and reporters from each other, so for the first day following the storm, the reporters were basically operating on auto-pilot with very little coordination, but you wouldn’t know it from the stories they filed.

Many thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

Tyler Paper (http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20080915/NEWS01/809150284)

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I think it's crazy to say there's a cover up going on. Anyone with knowledge of the situation knows a lot of the people stayed. That island is so thrashed it's simply going to take time to work through all the debris (and that's not even touching those who were washed out to sea that we'll never know about).

They haven't even been able to access the west end of the island by vehicle yet due to too much debris. The death toll is going to go significantly higher (IMO), but it may take weeks for them to sort through all the debris and see if there's people in the rubble.

Nbadan
09-16-2008, 11:05 PM
I don't think it's beyond reason that there is some sort of news blackout going on...I know we've had scattered reports from local government officials that the FEDS aren't letting in anyone to parts of Bolivar Penn. and other parts of Galveston that could have housed many of the 20k or so that stayed on the Island...

Crookshanks
09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
I heard one official say they weren't going to let newspeople on the island for awhile. He said it was because they had no idea how bad it was or how dangerous and they wanted to give as much dignity to the dead as possible.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-17-2008, 12:45 AM
By the way, it looks like there are some holes in this story that you linked to already.

Hopping through photos on the Houston Chronicle web site, they are still using the same standard 'x' marking after searching homes.

http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/09/16/13050915/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Dan Speer, part of a search and rescue team from Indiana, tags the door of a Galveston house that smelled suspicious Tuesday. The smell turned out to be from rotting meat.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Yes, Dan, please give us more about the corporate media blackout.

They're not letting any media in. The only way they're even letting people on the island is with a picture ID showing you live there, but there are some people getting on (or through). But yeah, we're just all sitting on our hands because that's what the boss man wants.

Media hiding the information? Yes, that's why AHF just found photos from a "corporate-owned" major metro daily like the Houston fucking Chronicle.

Shut the fuck up.

Clandestino
09-17-2008, 06:14 AM
dan is a fucking retard. everyone knows it by now. without him and boutons this would be a true political forum instead of the political/conspiracy forum.

Clandestino
09-17-2008, 06:16 AM
i love how they think the u.s. government is incompetent however they then allege the government can come up with elaborate cover ups! hide 24,000 deaths! brilliant!

Anti.Hero
09-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Why hide it? The People had plenty of time/warning to leave.

Spurminator
09-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Mass casualties are great for ratings. Why would an allegedly soulless corporate media hide such a thing if given the opportunity?

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-17-2008, 12:21 PM
i love how they think the u.s. government is incompetent however they then allege the government can come up with elaborate cover ups! hide 24,000 deaths! brilliant!

Not to mention that they'd all be running around Galveston with stickers to put on houses. Give me a fucking break. Those two pulled a fast one on that newspaper.

Nbadan
09-19-2008, 07:21 PM
What a bunch of dumbasses...

Ge0dxJfxsa8

Nbadan
09-19-2008, 07:44 PM
http://static1.firedoglake.com/1/files//2008/09/galveston-after-ike.jpg

By: Peterr Friday September 19, 2008 2:45 pm

One week after Ike, electricity is returning, water and sewage is still a problem, and authorities are worried about disease if people try to return too soon. But one question is nagging at me more and more each day: where are the folks who tried to ride it out in the towns that disappeared?

A clergy friend of mine in the Houston area told me that he and other pastors are holding their breath, expecting the death toll to be big -- eventually. After Katrina, the searchers found plenty of death waiting for them in the Lower 9th Ward from the flooding and destruction. After Ike, however, the dead are going to be very hard to find, if they get found at all.

In the brutally blunt words of one of his native Texan friends, "many of the folks who tried to ride it out are probably either feeding sharks in the Gulf or gators in the bayous."

But prepare yourselves now: if my friend and his clergy buddies are right, the words "Missing and Presumed Dead" will become very, very familiar.

Link (http://firedoglake.com/2008/09/19/missing-and-presumed-dead)

Biernutz
09-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Nbadan --------

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/systime/obama/fling_poo_stand_clear_thumb.jpg

Clandestino
09-19-2008, 08:45 PM
after seeing the newsreport..yes, you're still a dumbass.

Biernutz
09-19-2008, 09:15 PM
I Recall everyone from the Mayor of Galveston to Governor of Texas telling everyone on Galveston Island to LEAVE. Get the hell out!! Just what do they need to know ---a class 3 hurricane will hit a ISLAND with a 28 foot elevation. If you stay write your SS# on your arm because you will probably die. Just what did these people need to make them leave? As Ron White has said " you can't fix stupid" Nice!!! blame the government because you wanted to stay and ride it out and now you have no water or food. Get out!!!!

Nbadan
09-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Incredible story...three survivors found floating in IKE debris...

We just today were able to get email access going. I will try to send out these Daily Situation Reports every day.

First of all, Ike was pretty much an equal opportunity disaster. In other words, destruction happened from one end of the county to the other. What we do see, is much more destruction in the lower lying areas like Oak Island and Smith Point, . For certain, Oak Island is the community which we have seen the most extensive damage, and by that I mean the entire community was almost completely destroyed. Most of the houses are completely gone and by that I mean they actually are not THERE.

Right now, the state focus is still search and rescue. Three persons were found alive
yesterday that washed ashore into Chambers County from Galveston Co (Bolivar, Crystal
Beach, etc.). Today, 3 more persons were found alive. This is incredible. We have spoken to them and they have amazing stories. However, there are also some who were not so
fortunate. So, just so you will understand, the state is trying to save as many lives as they can right now, before it is too late. When they complete that, they will shift into full-blown recovery mode...

Link (http://www.co.chambers.tx.us/eoc.pdf)

PEP
09-20-2008, 02:55 PM
I heard that they found bigfoot and elvis floating among the debris. Damn media blackout.

ChumpDumper
09-20-2008, 03:13 PM
It's interesting about the lack of media access -- even from helicopters. Like the reporter said, it probably has something to do with images of dead, mostly stupid people. I don't see how such images could hurt the perception of the government like those from Katrina. Maybe it has something to do with blunting opposition to redevelopment in those areas.