26. Willie Anderson
27. Billy Paultz
28. Robert McDermott
29. Stephen Jackson
30. Mark Olberding
31. Stan Albeck
32. Brent Barry

------------------------------

To pass the time until the start of preseason, let's see how SpursTalk.com ranks the Top 50 Spurs. Those eligible for the list include all players, coaches and owners. I don't want to define "top" too narrowly, but I think the best way to do it would be to think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport.

For more information on what we are doing, check out this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103061).

In this thread, we will vote for spot number 33. Please place your vote. If you will, also explain in this thread why you voted how you did.

Thanks.

P.S.

Poll options listed in alphabetical order. If you want to vote for someone not on the list, post in the thread and I'll add the person.

Voting will end 2AM CST Thursday morning.

Please vote only once.

Rynospursfan
09-17-2008, 04:02 AM
From a player standpoint I think the two players that stick out the most that should be on the list next are Rod Strickland and Dennis Rodman. I don't particularly like either of them that much because I feel they were major letdowns in a couple of the Spurs best chances to win a championship before 99. But these players clearly had a bigger impact on the Spurs than anyone else not already on the list.

I know Coach Bud got some play on the last round of voting but I think that is a bit premature. Last year was his first year as assistant head coach. As far as Fo guys and coaches go I think there are people far more deserving of this spot such as Larry Brown, Hank Egan, and maybe even Sam Presti.

ShoogarBear
09-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Holy crap. Brent Barry over Mike Gale?

I'll make my case for the original Sugar tonight.

ChuckD
09-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Egan. He devised the P'n'R defense that at last allowed us to slay the Jazz dragon, circa maybe 2000 or 2001. It was a soft double on Stockton that guided him towards the sideline, cutting his view of the floor, and safe passes, in half. They had owned our asses for the better part of a decade.

Spooky
09-17-2008, 09:36 AM
I voted Mike Bud here, cuz I think he might get the votes over Vinny Del Negro. I don't think Vinny should voted this high at all.

MrChug
09-17-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm of the original "FUCK HANK EGAN" fan club for going to the Faggaliers.

baseline bum
09-17-2008, 10:10 AM
It's ridiculous that anyone would vote Del Negro here. That soft fuck is probably the worst player in franchise history to get significant starting minutes. I can't see how anyone in his right mind would pick Del Negro over players like Rod Strickland, Dale Ellis, Jaren Jackson, Dominique Wilkins, Gene Banks, Johnny Dawkins, Finley, Nazr, Perdue, etc. I'd even take Rodman or Steve Smith over that worthless POS.

baseline bum
09-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Here's a great post from Extra Stout that sums Vinny Del Negro up pretty well

Vinny Del Negro was a slightly-above-average outside shooter, and could get to the rim on occasion. He was famous for his "hair fake."

He was probably the worst defender of any starting player in basketball at that time. The vision of Clyde Drexler scoring like it was practice in the 1995 WCF is burned into my brain. Throughout the mid-to-late 1990's, critics cited Del Negro as being too weak a starter for any team with title aspirations. They were correct.

He was also a world-class crybaby. Ray Allen is Admiral Freaking Cook in comparison. There is a reason he found the Phoenix Suns organization so attractive. He loved to cry to the media all the time. Bob Hill was his bedroom friend. Vinny never could take Pop's style of coaching, and bad-mouthed him to the Spurs' beat writer at the time, Kevin O'Keefe, who hated Popovich and David Robinson.

In 1999 Pop dumped Del Negro for Mario Elie. O'Keefe was as crushed as Steve Francis was when Cuttino Mobley was traded, and ripped Pop up and down in the paper as basically the second coming of Hitler. The E-N had enough and fired him.

The Spurs never looked back.

Del Negro went where all douchebags go -- Phoenix. He fit in perfectly there. Now he's going to go destroy the Chicago Bulls.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2600558#post2600558

2centsworth
09-17-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm going to go with Kerr here not only for his '03 playoff run, but mainly because he has been a very nice spokesman for the team.

However, it's real close between he and Gene Banks to me. I have to brush up on Mike Gale, because I know he was good too.

2centsworth
09-17-2008, 10:34 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmaoVinney Del Negro

Dex
09-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Now that I got my homer-iffic Brent Barry vote out of the way, I'll probably have to go with Budenholzer or Egan on this one. I could easily see Jackson or Vinny stealing a spot here too.

Many PackYao
09-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Jaren Jackson for 33:p:

Spurminator
09-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Del Negro was never a starting-quality player but I wouldn't punish him for being played out of position. Compared to the others left on this list, he's got the best combination of numbers and tenure with the team. He shot at a consistently high clip and scored 13-15 ppg as a starter.

He was never very good and was possibly a douche, but he was a key part of the 90's Spurs, for better or worse. I'd have to defer to some of the older guys on whether some of the early Spurs were more impactful in other areas but Del Negro is my vote here.

baseline bum
09-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Del Negro was never a starting-quality player but I wouldn't punish him for being played out of position. Compared to the others left on this list, he's got the best combination of numbers and tenure with the team. He shot at a consistently high clip and scored 13-15 ppg as a starter.

He was never very good and was possibly a douche, but he was a key part of the 90's Spurs, for better or worse.

Del Negro wasn't shit on any other team. In San Antonio he had the luxury of not having any guards with any talent whatsoever behind him to take his spot and minutes.

FromWayDowntown
09-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm going with Mike Gale here.

I still think the arguments for Budenholzer are wholly dependent on rings and, if reasonable, would compel those who subscribe to that theory to vote almost any Spur of recent vintage over guys like Gervin, which I still find to be ridiculous.

Jaren Jackson is Steve Kerr several times over in terms of his contribution to a single title. Imagine Kerr repeating that Game 6 trick 5 different times over the course of a playoff run and you have what Jaren Jackson did in 1999 -- with several of those performances coming on the road in put-away games. I can't imagine a scenario in which one could reasonably vote for Steve Kerr over Jaren Jackson.

Steve Kerr's legacy with the Spurs is defined by 4 shots -- maybe 5 -- he hit over the period of about a week in the late spring of 2003. Jaren Jackson, by contrast, had 5 or more triples in a game on numerous occasions during the 1999 playoffs (Game 4 at LA (6-11); Game 3 at Portland (6-11); Game 1 against New York (5-10)) and drained backbreakers galore that summer (Game 4 at LA; Game 4 at Portland; Game 5 at New York).

Kerr was such a vital part of the 2003 title team that he played a grand total of 10 minutes in the pivotal series that year against LA -- 6 in the Game 2 blowout, 2 in the Game 3 blowout, and 2 in the Game 6 blowout. Kerr didn't even play in the series against Phoenix that year, in which the games were much closer. And played a grand total of 16 minutes against the Mavs that year, getting DNP's in 3 of the 6 games. Now, he did hit 4 huge shots against Dallas (though Jax and Manu might quarrel with anyone about who hit the bigger shots that night). But how, exactly, does that make Kerr better than Jaren Jackson?

I also fundamentally disagree with this:

I'm going to go with Kerr here not only for his '03 playoff run, but mainly because he has been a very nice spokesman for the team.

I'd dispute Kerr as a nice spokesman for the Spurs. Like I said elsewhere, Pop and Kerr have had more than a couple of scrapes (including Pop's "You're wearing too many hats" beauty from 2007) that have grown out of Kerr's positions about the Spurs.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Vinny Del Negro sucked. Please, for the love of God, don't vote Del Negro into the top 50.

Mike Gale, Gene Banks, Swen Nater, Coby Dietrick, George Johnson....even Dave Corzine needs some love soon...but people need to forget about Vinny and Rasho....ughhh!!!

But save room for the man who used to do those vicious helicopter dunks because that guy was awesome!!

Gale gets my vote here.

baseline bum
09-17-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't really believe Budenholzer deserves this spot, but I voted for him because Del Negro is less deserving of it. Almost feels like November 2nd already.

urunobili
09-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Del Negro getting this much love? :lmao

FromWayDowntown
09-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Budenholzer getting this much love? :lmao

FIFY

urunobili
09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
FIFY

i voted Egan on this one... i gave up on trying to make everybody appreciate what Bud brings to the table... check who voted who before playing smart ass... :lol

Can you please explain why Del Negro deserves to be here >Budenholzer?

Thanks in advance,

urunobili

:toast

FromWayDowntown
09-17-2008, 11:44 AM
i voted Egan on this one... i gave up on trying to make everybody appreciate what Bud brings to the table... check who voted who before playing smart ass... :lol

Can you please explain why Del Negro deserves to be here >Budenholzer?

Thanks in advance,

urunobili

:toast

Et tu, urunobili?

I've already explained that I think Mike Gale deserves to be here, not Del Negro.

Admiral
09-17-2008, 12:30 PM
I watched Vinny Del "Fuego" way too many times to vote for him now. He wasn't awful, but he was far from the capable guard we needed to win titles.

I feel much the same way about Rodman. He was an incredible rebounder and tough defender, but there is no way he deserves to be considered at this point. He had too many glaring weaknesses in his game. Those weaknesses, coupled with his horrible me-first attitude and disruptive antics, were a major reason why we did not win a title in the mid-90's. A decent starting guard and someone besides Rodman would've probably been enough to get us our first title. Oh well.

For spot number 33, I am voting for Gene Banks.

timvp
09-17-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm going to go with Kerr here not only for his '03 playoff run, but mainly because he has been a very nice spokesman for the team. Were you impressed when he fought against Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw getting suspended or when he want on national television saying Tim Duncan should get suspended for leaving the bench? Pop's "you're wearing too many fvcking hats, Stevie" line clues me in that Kerr hasn't been the best Spurs spokesman in history.

rascal
09-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Wilkins should be on the list now. But my vote is for Swen Nater(good enough for an aba all star game) Gale is a close 2nd. Del Negro is a big reason why the spurs could never win it all before Duncan and he should not be on the list anytime soon.

2centsworth
09-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Were you impressed when he fought against Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw getting suspended or when he want on national television saying Tim Duncan should get suspended for leaving the bench? Pop's "you're wearing too many fvcking hats, Stevie" line clues me in that Kerr hasn't been the best Spurs spokesman in history.

I'm more speaking as a commentator. He was a spurs homer, much like Sean.

As far as his association with Phoenix, it is similar to Avery and Dallas.

Spurminator
09-17-2008, 02:04 PM
I think the idea that Del Negro kept the Spurs from winning a title in the 90's is flawed. Vinny was playing a role above his talent level because of a lack of depth the Spurs had at guard. If the Spurs had a starting-quality SG in the 90's, Vinny would have been a 15-20 minute guy off the bench like Barry (who has been voted in).

To me, Vinny belongs in the discussion with decent bench players who were Spurs for most of their career. I don't deduct points from you if your situation was the result of FO failures.

Now I'm going to take a long shower.

baseline bum
09-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I think the idea that Del Negro kept the Spurs from winning a title in the 90's is flawed. Vinny was playing a role above his talent level because of a lack of depth the Spurs had at guard. If the Spurs had a starting-quality SG in the 90's, Vinny would have been a 15-20 minute guy off the bench like Barry (who has been voted in).

To me, Vinny belongs in the discussion with decent bench players who were Spurs for most of their career. I don't deduct points from you if your situation was the result of FO failures.

Now I'm going to take a long shower.

Del Negro is no where near as talented as Barry. If the Spurs had any competent shooting guards, Del Negro would have gotten Steve Kerr 2003 playoffs level minutes. Del Negro couldn't put the ball on the floor, find the open man, play anything approaching defense, rebound, shoot from long distance, nor give a consistent effort. The second he left San Antonio for teams that actually had guard talent, his career and all those numbers he put up here went in the shitter. Dude was awful for the Kings too before coming to SA.

SenorSpur
09-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Del Negro is no where near as talented as Barry. If the Spurs had any competent shooting guards, Del Negro would have gotten Steve Kerr 2003 playoffs level minutes. Del Negro couldn't put the ball on the floor, find the open man, play anything approaching defense, rebound, shoot from long distance, nor give a consistent effort. The second he left San Antonio for teams that actually had guard talent, his career and all those numbers he put up here went in the shitter. Dude was awful for the Kings too before coming to SA.

All of which makes one question the intelligence of the then-front office staff, for ever acquiring this guy in the first place. Rod Strickland got a lot of grief for his bad pass, but at least he could play and played hard. For the FO to pass off the notion that Del Negro was going to replace Strickland at PG, is more of a joke as expecting him to be a starting-caliber 2-guard in the NBA.

timvp
09-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Here are some profiles on some of the players that have been discussed. Let me know if you think someone should be added to the list.

Coby Dietrick
Spent six years with the Spurs, three in the ABA and three in the NBA. All told, he played 484 games for the Spurs and the San Antonio averaged 48.3 wins per year during his six-year career. Dietrick averaged 6.9 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 21.6 minutes per game. In the playoffs, he averaged 7.9 points per game and raised his field goal percentage substantially (53.6% in his Spurs playoff career compared to his regular season percentage of 46.7%).

Dale Ellis
Ellis spent two seasons with the Spurs, the 1992-93 season and the 1993-94 season. In those two seasons, the Spurs won 49 and 55 games, respectively. Ellis averaged 15.9 points and 3.6 rebounds in 33.5 minutes per game in those two season, while shooting 49.7% from the field, 39.7% from the three-point line and 78.9% from the free throw line. Ellis set the Spurs franchise record with 119 three-pointers in the 1992-93 season and then bettered it the next season with 131 makes. In his two years in the playoffs with the Spurs, his averaged fell across the board – 11.9 points on 43.6% field goal percentage and 30.6% three-point percentage.

Dave Corzine
From 1980 to 1982, Corzine played two seasons with the Spurs and never missed a game. In those 164 games, he averaged 10.3 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 25.3 minutes per game, while shooting 50.3% from the field. In his two seasons in San Antonio, the Spurs won 52 games in 1980-81 and 48 games in 1981-82. Corzine during the playoffs averaged 11.6 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 26.2 minutes per game on 47.2% shooting.

Dennis Rodman
Played for the Spurs in 1993-94 and 1994-95. The Spurs won 55 and 62 games in those two years, respectively. Rodman averaged 5.6 points and 17.1 rebounds per game in a total of 128 regular season games, while shooting 55.1% from the field. In his Spurs playoff career, he averaged 8.8 points and 15 rebounds per game on 53.3% shooting.

Gene Banks
In his four year career with the Spurs, he played 323 of a possible 328 games. During those four years, the Spurs averaged 44.8 win per season. Picked in the second round of the 1981 draft, Banks averaged 11.8 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.8 assists, while shooting 54.4% from the field. After his career with the Spurs, spent two years with the Bulls. At 27, he went overseas and played in Italy and Israel.

Jaren Jackson
Jackson spent four seasons with the Spurs, from 1997 to 2001. In the 226 games he played, he averaged 7 points per game on 38.7% shooting from the field and 36.5% shooting from beyond the three-point line. His career peeked in the 1999 playoffs when he averaged 8.2 points and connected on 31 of the team’s 70 total made three-pointers during the championship run. In Jackson’s four seasons in San Antonio, the Spurs won an average of 57.3 games and took home the 1999 championship.

Michael Finley
Finley has played with the Spurs the last three seasons. He has averaged 9.7 points and 3 rebounds in 25.2 minutes per game, while shooting 41.2% from the field and 37.5% from downtown. He has played 241 of a possible 246 regular season games and the Spurs have averaged 59 wins per season since he arrived. In the playoffs, Finley has averaged 9.5 points and 2.8 rebounds in 26.8 minutes per game, while shooting 42.3% from the field and 39.7% from beyond the three-point arc. The Spurs won the 2007 championship with Finley as the starting shooting guard.

Mike Gale
Spent parts of six seasons in San Antonio and played 414 games with the Spurs. In those six years, the Spurs averaged 46 wins per season. Averaged 7.9 points, 4.5 assists and 1.9 steals per game, while shooting 46.7% from the field. In playoff games with the Spurs, his scoring average jumped up to 9.2 points per game but his field goal percentage dropped to 44%.

Rod Strickland
Playing parts of three seasons from 1989 to 1992, Strickland averaged 13.9 points, 8.2 assists, 4.2 rebounds and 2 steals in 36 minutes per game. In those three seasons, he played 146 regular season games and the Spurs averaged 52.7 wins per year. In the playoffs with the Spurs, he averaged 14.3 points and 10.4 assists per game.

Steve Kerr
Kerr played four complete seasons with the Spurs, from 1998 to 2001 and then came back for the 2002-03 season after spending a year in Portland. In the regular season, Kerr averaged 3.6 points and 0.9 assists per game in 12.6 minutes per game, while shooting 41.8% from the field and 39.4% from the three-point line. In the playoffs while with the Spurs, Kerr averaged 2.9 points on 41.2% shooting from the field and 35.7% shooting from beyond the three-point line. In his four seasons in San Antonio, the Spurs averaged 58.3 wins per season and won the championship in 1999 and 2003.

Swen Nater
Nater played parts of two seasons with the Spurs, from 1973 to 1975. In those two seasons, the Spurs won 45 and 51 games, respectively, while Nater was named to the ABA All-Star team both years while with the Spurs. In 140 games, Nater averaged 14.8 points, 15.2 rebounds and 1 block in 33.7 minutes per game, while shooting 54.6% from the field. In the playoffs, Nater averaged 14.9 points and 14 rebounds on 51.9% shooting.

Vinny Del Negro
In his seven years with the Spurs, San Antonio averaged 49.7 wins and Del Negro played 433 games. He averaged 11.2 points and 3.6 assists, while shooting 48.2% from the field, 36.7% from three-point land and 82.7% from the line. In his 46 career playoff games with the Spurs, his scoring average dipped to 9.5 points and his shooting fell to 45%.

timvp
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
After the research, I think it's a no-brainer that Swen Nater should be the next off the list. He put up Dennis Rodman rebounding number plus he was able to actual score and was 2-for-2 in making the All-Star team while with the Spurs. The rest of the list combined has zero All-Star appearances while with the Spurs.

After Nater, Rod Strickland pops out at me and Gene Banks looks pretty good as well. I don't really understand the Mike Gale love and I really, really don't understand how the name Steve Kerr is even appearing in the conversation.

Finley and Del Negro, even though they have both given Spurs fans headaches, probably deserve to go within the next five or six spots. I still like Jaren Jackson but I was premature in pimping him. I knew his regular season stats were bad but not that bad :lol

Dietrick was basically Malik Rose minus the championships, which should get him on the list relatively soon. Corzine had a good two years and should go within the next ten or so.

Ellis and Rodman probably deserve to slide down the list for their implosions. Rodman's implosion being in terms of team chemistry and Ellis in terms of sucking in the playoffs.

Man Mountain
09-17-2008, 03:47 PM
I voted for Mike Budholzer but that was before I read those writeups above. Can we start this poll over? Seriously I think Spurs Talk needs a redo :D

SlovenianGuy
09-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Here are some profiles on some of the players that have been discussed. Let me know if you think someone should be added to the list.

Johnny Dawkins?
Frank Brickowski?

timvp
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
I voted for Mike Budholzer but that was before I read those writeups above. Can we start this poll over? Seriously I think Spurs Talk needs a redo :DIf others agree, that's fine.

Johnny Dawkins?
Frank Brickowski?Yeah I'll add those two later with probably at least Chuck Person and Cadillac Anderson. I'll also put in the top coaches and front office people.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-17-2008, 04:03 PM
EJ is probably not due yet...but since we're discussing a bunch of role players at this point.......

Edgar Jones
Played part of the '82-'83 and '84-85 season, and all of the '83-'84 season with the Spurs. In 127 Spurs game appearances, the 6'10" Jones averaged 9.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, 1.2 blocks and 1.7 highlight reel dunks per game, all in a mere 18.6 minutes per contest, hitting 49.8% from the floor and 74% from the charity stripe. He was a fan favorite during his days in San Antonio for his fearless offensive play and his missing front teeth. Paternity tests have not yet confirmed whether James White is his son.

Spurs Brazil
09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
I don't think Kerr deserve a spot in Top 50.

He had 2 good games in 03 playoff run and that's it

I'll vote Finley now

timvp
09-17-2008, 04:06 PM
EJ is probably not due yet...but since we're discussing a bunch of role players at this point.......

Edgar Jones
Played part of the '82-'83 and '84-85 season, and all of the '83-'84 season with the Spurs. In 127 Spurs game appearances, the 6'10" Jones averaged 9.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, 1.2 blocks and 1.7 highlight reel dunks per game, all in a mere 18.6 minutes per contest, hitting 49% from the floor and 74% from the charity stripe. He was a fan favorite during his days in San Antonio for his fearless offensive play and his missing front teeth. Paternity tests have not yet confirmed whether James White is his son.
:lol

Classic.

The Truth #6
09-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Since we're throwing stats around, consider the stats of this Spur:

His first season with the Spurs: 17.6 ppg, .529 FG%, 5.4 rpg, 25 min/gm
Second season: 17.4 ppg, .563 FG%, 5.4 rpg, 26 min/gm
In 3 playoff games: 22 ppg, 7 rpg

Though no one but me will remember him, I think people should reconsider Walter Berry, "The Truth" #6.

Outside of Ginobili, he may have had the weirdest style of scoring of any past Spur player. It goes without saying he he was an unorthodox lefty.

He was my favorite player during the pathetic late 80s. I knew he put up decent numbers, but looking back again, I would say they were much better than I remember. His FG% was incredible for a small forward.

I'm not saying he should go before Swen Nater, Rod Strickland, or Dennis Rodman. But his numbers are just as good if not better than say Dale Ellis, Chuck Person, or Jaren Jackson. Does that mean he meant more to the Spurs than some of those guys? No, or course not.

He came in at a forgettable era and so it's easy to dismiss everyone from that small window when we sucked horribly, however, I would say it's important to remember those times and a player like Berry, even with his faults.

timvp
09-19-2008, 06:30 AM
The bold section in this article helps the case for Bud in this poll posthumously.

Popovich's assistants popular around NBA
Web Posted: 06/04/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs officials have spent the past three summers piecing together a roster they hope will contend for not only this season's NBA championship, but also for much of the rest of the decade.

Tim Duncan is under contract for at least three more seasons. Manu Ginobili is completing the first season of a six-year deal. Tony Parker received a six-year extension that has yet to start. Bruce Bowen has two more years on his contract. Beno Udrih has another three on his rookie deal.

As the Spurs prepare to play in their second NBA Finals in three years, their biggest challenge for the future, it seems, isn't keeping their players. It's maintaining their staff.

During the past month, assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo has interviewed for head-coaching positions with Minnesota and New York. Cleveland has spoken with Danny Ferry, the Spurs' director of basketball operations, about becoming the franchise's general manager. This week, the Cavaliers hired Mike Brown, who spent three seasons as an assistant under coach Gregg Popovich, as their new head coach.

Four years after former Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson derisively labeled the Spurs' staff "The Simulator Crew" for its lack of NBA playing experience, the nickname has taken on a different connotation.

"Instead of saying, 'I want to be like Mike,'" Brown said, referring to Gatorade's old Michael Jordan slogan, "teams are saying, 'I want to be like the Spurs.'"

Last summer, Portland hired Kevin Pritchard, one of the Spurs' scouts, as its director of player personnel. He finished the season as the Trail Blazers' interim coach.

Popovich and Spurs general manager R.C. Buford both think Sam Presti, the team's talented 28-year-old director of player personnel, will eventually become a general manager in the league. Director of scouting Lance Blanks, who played an important role in re-signing Parker and facilitating the trade for Nazr Mohammed, also figures to attract attention from other teams.

"You hate to lose people that have helped create the success you have," Spurs chairman Peter Holt said. "But, at the same time, new people come in and bring new ideas, new blood."

The franchise has maintained its continuity during Holt's nine-year tenure because he hasn't had to replace any of his top-level decision makers — on either the basketball operations or business side — since former coach Bob Hill was fired. Popovich, whose contract doesn't expire until after the 2007-08 season, ceded his general manager title and day-to-day front-office duties to Buford in 2002, but continues as the executive vice president of basketball operations.

In Duncan's eight seasons, the Spurs have made three Finals appearances while compiling the highest winning percentage (.702) of any team in the four major U.S. professional sports leagues.

"The blend we have works and the teamwork we have works," Holt said. "Behind the scenes we have stability. You need that because the unstable part of the business is the basketball. On any given night, who knows what's going to happen?"

Still, as the Spurs' success has grown, so has their challenge to maintain it.

Should the Timberwolves hire Carlesimo — he had another conversation in recent days with Kevin McHale, Minnesota's vice president of basketball operations, that went well — Popovich will have to fill a vacancy on his coaching staff for the fourth consecutive summer. Mike Budenholzer has been the one constant during Popovich's tenure — and probably the coach Popovich depends on the most.

After Brown left to become Indiana's associate head coach following the Spurs' 2003 championship, the Spurs replaced him with Mario Elie. A year later, Golden State's Mike Montgomery hired Elie as one of his top assistants.

Now charged to guide Cleveland, Brown has asked Popovich for advice in hiring his staff. He hopes to implement some of the same principles Popovich values, most notably a team-first attitude.

"The biggest thing you hear teams say is, 'We treat people the right way,'" Brown said. "But San Antonio doesn't just say it. They do it."

Three of Popovich's former players — Avery Johnson, Terry Porter and Doc Rivers — are now head coaches. Former Spurs guard Monty Williams also has spent the season interning with Popovich's staff.

"If there's any correlation there, I think we look for guys that understand the game, understand team and truly realize what it takes to win," Popovich said. "Oftentimes if those guys want to stay in the league, they end up wanting to coach or be in management of some sort. We've been pretty fortunate to attract the kind of player that really has a good basketball IQ."

Popovich and Buford have an unwritten philosophy: As long as you respect the organization, the organization will do its best to advance your career. Even if it means helping a staffer find a job with another team.

Ferry could be the first member of the team's current brain trust to leave, but he also has made it clear he will remain with the Spurs until the right job comes. The Cavaliers have been unable to specify the duties of their general-manager position.

"I think it's rewarding because people are recognizing Pop's vision," Buford said, "and the progress this organization has made under he and Peter."

Of course, the problem with having one's staff members leave is they usually depart with first-hand knowledge of how the franchise operates. In the case of Brown and Johnson, that means knowing much of the Spurs' playbook. Pritchard also talked openly this season about how he modeled Portland's scouting database after that of the Spurs, implementing the same formulas he learned from Presti.

"Hopefully, we'll continue to evolve and make good decisions," Buford said. "What we did three to five years ago isn't what we're doing now."

The NFL's New England Patriots have coped with some of the same problems. After the Patriots won their third Super Bowl in four years, the team's offensive and defensive coordinators both left for head-coaching jobs.

"Working for the Spurs means a lot in the eyes of a lot of other people," Mike Brown said. "In terms of organizations right now, they're at the pinnacle of the NBA. Everybody else is trying to get there."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060405.1C.BKNspurs.assistants.2dc8390d0.html