PDA

View Full Version : What is Obama's signature achievement?

Gino
09-17-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't want a list of every bill he ever co-sponsored.

Is it writing two memoires and making three speeches (04 DNC, his anti-Iraq speech and his Germany speech)?

Thats all that comes to mind. What am I missing?

Findog
09-17-2008, 12:29 PM
He doesn't wear an American flag lapel and he doesn't like to sing the national anthem.

America! Fuck Yeah!

I'm gonna kick your ass!

Anti.Hero
09-17-2008, 12:39 PM
You must now stand up to eat instead of sitting down before taking dirty money from lobbyists.

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 12:48 PM
He redesigned the presidential seal.

Gino
09-17-2008, 12:49 PM
He redesigned the presidential seal.

:lol

Nice.

btw - Im not even restricting this debate to his senate years. What is his signature achievment as an adult?

cool hand
09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
winning the democratic nomination......pretty badass for a black man in this country.

Gino
09-17-2008, 12:54 PM
winning the democratic nomination......pretty badass for a black man in this country.

Okay..thats one vote for:

1) Winning the Democratic Nomination.

Anything else?

Crookshanks
09-17-2008, 01:00 PM
NOPE - and they're even finding now that some of what he put in his books is pure fabrication and fiction.

Findog
09-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Here is Obama's signature achievement: He didn't mislead the American public about an existential threat from Iraq. He didn't drive the economy into the ground. He didn't tell Americans to "go shopping" after 9.11. In short, he's not a fucking moron.

hitmanyr2k
09-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Here is Obama's signature achievement: He didn't mislead the American public about an existential threat from Iraq. He didn't drive the economy into the ground. He didn't tell Americans to "go shopping" after 9.11. In short, he's not a fucking moron.

But, but, George Bush had "executive experience" before he went in office :lol

td4mvp21
09-17-2008, 01:04 PM

:lol

cool hand
09-17-2008, 01:09 PM

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/675276/2/istockphoto_675276-target-bullseye.jpg

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 01:20 PM

I still don't see what's wrong with the economy...

Do you make more money today than you did 8 years ago??

Findog
09-17-2008, 01:24 PM

Yeah, the economy is in great shape. Just ask Wall Street. And no, I don't make more money than I did 8 years, but that's only because I'm some dirty hippie welfare cheat.

spurster
09-17-2008, 01:25 PM

John McCain, is that you?

fyatuk
09-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Wrong question.

It's "Can you buy more than you did 8 years ago?". Income can grow, but the economy still be bad because inflation outpaces it. Buying power (comparing income to product costs) is the thing to look into.

Over the last 8 years, my income has gone up 10k. My buying power, while better than 8 years ago, is not 33% higher than it was 8 years ago like my salary is.

Findog
09-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Economic production in this country is still pretty good ,but the distribution of wealth has been concentrated upwards.

tonylongoriafan
09-17-2008, 01:30 PM
my economy is just fine...now that's the real question isn't

Gino
09-17-2008, 01:30 PM
So far, Ive seen

1) He's the democratic nominee

2) He's not Bush

This isn't looking good for Obama supporters. His "list of achievements" is starting to resemble John Kerry's. Plus, Bush isn't even running this time.

Anything else?

tonylongoriafan
09-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Okay..thats one vote for:

1) Winning the Democratic Nomination.

Anything else?

whether you see it as good, bad, or indifferent there is no question that his campaign is the most significant thing he's done.

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 01:33 PM
John McCain, is that you?

I'm sorry I just don't see whats wrong with it...I make three times what I made seven years ago because I've worked my ass off. I've made sound investments, didn't get stuck in a huge mortgage (bought a house worth half of the amount that the bank approved me for). If it wasn't for Ike, I was going to be looking for a beach house in the next year or so. Again, I don't see what's wrong with th economy. And I think that if you ask, most people will say that they make more than they did when Bush took office.

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Wrong question.

It's "Can you buy more than you did 8 years ago?". Income can grow, but the economy still be bad because inflation outpaces it. Buying power (comparing income to product costs) is the thing to look into.

Over the last 8 years, my income has gone up 10k. My buying power, while better than 8 years ago, is not 33% higher than it was 8 years ago like my salary is.

So you are saying that your economy is fine.

Findog
09-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry I just don't see whats wrong with it...I make three times what I made seven years ago because I've worked my ass off. I've made sound investments, didn't get stuck in a huge mortgage (bought a house worth half of the amount that the bank approved me for). If it wasn't for Ike, I was going to be looking for a beach house in the next year or so. Again, I don't see what's wrong with th economy. And I think that if you ask, most people will say that they make more than they did when Bush took office.

hahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahaha

Well, the anecdotal evidence of one person certainly trumps economic statistics.

"Most of my friends are better off too." Yeah, birds of a feather flock together. And again, it's not about income, it's purchasing power.

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Economic production in this country is still pretty good ,but the distribution of wealth has been concentrated upwards.

Get a new/second/third job if you want more personal wealth.

Gino
09-17-2008, 01:35 PM
whether you see it as good, bad, or indifferent there is no question that his campaign is the most significant thing he's done.

Im not saying its not....

Count this as another vote for option 1 (he's the nominee).

tonylongoriafan
09-17-2008, 01:36 PM

+1 :toast

Gino
09-17-2008, 01:39 PM

Same here. I alway have to remind my wife how successful we've been the last eight years.

I laugh whenever I hear the left claim how Bush has run this country "into the ground".

Gino
09-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Dont foget that the unemployment rate for this decade has been much lower than that of the 90s, 80s and 70s.

But getting back to this discussion, what are Obama's greatest achievements?

SpursFanFirst
09-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm not ready to buy a beach house, and I haven't gotten to the point of investing, but..

I do own a home - one that I bought well within my means. The mortgage companies may have approved me for "x" amount, but I did my homework on different loans..and I didn't buy a $700,000 home on a $50,000 salary.

And, I'm working my way out of debt from my "stupid" years otherwise known as "my 20's."

I know that there are some hard working people out of jobs right now, and that totally sucks that they're now struggling just to make ends meet.

But there are also plenty of people who never looked to the future with their finances, and now they're paying the price.

You can't blame stupid financial mistakes that you made on Bush.

edit: By the way, I have nothing good to add on Obama.

Findog
09-17-2008, 01:49 PM
What have we learned in this thread? The economy is in great shape because two posters on Spurstalk have done well financially. No need to pay attention to the news or economic statistics.

Gino
09-17-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm not ready to buy a beach house, and I haven't gotten to the point of investing, but..

I do own a home - one that I bought well within my means. The mortgage companies may have approved me for "x" amount, but I did my homework on different loans..and I didn't buy a $700,000 home on a $50,000 salary.

And, I'm working my way out of debt from my "stupid" years otherwise known as "my 20's."

I know that there are some hard working people out of jobs right now, and that totally sucks that they're now struggling just to make ends meet.

But there are also plenty of people who never looked to the future with their finances, and now they're paying the price.

You can't blame stupid financial mistakes that you made on Bush.

edit: By the way, I have nothing good to add on Obama.

Nice post and I completely agree.

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 01:54 PM
But getting back to this discussion, what are Obama's greatest achievements?

He successfully voted "PRESENT" 130 times while serving as an IL State senator.

The Reckoning
09-17-2008, 01:55 PM
europe likes him lol

diggers
09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Good question. Ummmmm

I would say The speech that launched Barack Obama's Presidential Campaign (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=N3mOyuJvX8U)

Obama's signature theme is "CHANGE" but it appears that Obama's pattern is not in agreement. Obama votes with the winners (the crowd) Why? Personal Political Gains? Dems and Repubs = Public Servants = Public Hijackers (http://www.spymac.com/details/?2380899)of the American people. Both Dems/Repubs are making a killing from the war(s). Why on earth would they want to stop their millions from war profits on their own? Why isn't war profiteering a conflict of interest??? Dems promised to do something about Bush abuse of power. But we have seen nothing. Obama and McCain are lookAlikes (wannaBe for change and wannaBE maverick) When it comes to political/personal gain they know which side the butter is spread on.

"Obama aggressively opposed initiating impeachment proceedings against the president ("Obama: Impeachment is not acceptable," USA Today, June 28, 2007) and he wouldn't even support Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold's effort to censure the Bush administration for illegally wiretapping American citizens in violation of the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. In Feingold's words "I'm amazed at Democrats cowering with this president's number's so low." Once again, it's troubling that Obama would take these positions and miss the opportunity to document the abuses of the Bush regime." Matt Gonzalez

The biggest difference I see in this election is "The Dems have so much to learn about persuasion and public opinion. They behave as if life is fair and that the highroad leads to the White House."

SpursFanFirst
09-17-2008, 01:58 PM
What have we learned in this thread? The economy is in great shape because two posters on Spurstalk have done well financially. No need to pay attention to the news or economic statistics.

Things on Wall Street are rocky lately, sure. I don't think there's anyone that would disagree with that.

But this isn't the first time, in the history of our country, where times have been a little tough. The market fluctuates. This is nothing new.
Things WILL get better.
Why do you think that financial experts are always telling you to stick by investments? Why do you think your 401K is invested in over YEARS, not months?

But yeah. By all means...Damn that Bush! It's all his fault!

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 01:59 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahaha

Well, the anecdotal evidence of one person certainly trumps economic statistics.

"Most of my friends are better off too." Yeah, birds of a feather flock together. And again, it's not about income, it's purchasing power.

And no, I don't make more money than I did 8 years, but that's only because I'm some dirty hippie welfare cheat.

I think you successfully pleaded your case as to what is wrong with the US economy...

fyatuk
09-17-2008, 01:59 PM
So you are saying that your economy is fine.

I'm saying mine is OK, but hardly good. In the past 2 years, it's recessed a bit.

Of course, I'm better off than most people for a variety of reasons, so I'm not a good judge of the overal outlook :p:

SpursFanFirst
09-17-2008, 02:00 PM

Europe likes him

:lol Right on!

Findog
09-17-2008, 02:01 PM
But yeah. By all means...Damn that Bush! It's all his fault!

Tax cuts during wartime! Surpluses turned into deficits! Yes, Bush is quite the Adam Smith here. You're out of your element, Donnie.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Same here. I alway have to remind my wife how successful we've been the last eight years.

I laugh whenever I hear the left claim how Bush has run this country "into the ground".
obamessiah sure seems to have made a bit of money under bush's terms.

The Reckoning
09-17-2008, 02:04 PM
he wants to tax the big companies that are going bankrupt

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm saying mine is OK, but hardly good. In the past 2 years, it's recessed a bit.

Of course, I'm better off than most people for a variety of reasons, so I'm not a good judge of the overal outlook :p:

But it isn't run into the ground...the point I'm going after is that I think that the majority of people would say that they are doing at LEAST as good as they were when Bush took office.

(I'd start a new thread with a poll here but can't figure out how to do it)

fyatuk
09-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Get a new/second/third job if you want more personal wealth.

That's beyond the point. The top 1% now make 23% of the income, IIRC. The last time that rate was that high was right before the Great Depression. Executive salaries keep skyrocketing while lower level pay increases aren't keeping pace with inflation the last couple of years. The difference is too extreme to maintain economic feasibility.

Either peon wages need to increase, or executives need to decrease, to maintain a status quo on purchasing power for the poorer portions of the country. Otherwise you end up with no non-necessity shopping, which stagnates the economy even further.

Have you noticed that just like the Great Depression, financial institutions are failing now as well, and the stock market is very worried about the bottom falling out.

There's a lot of similarities between the current situation and the leadup to the Great Depression, enough to be concerned about it, anyway. That's why it's worth keeping track of economic growth, at the moment. If it does tip into true recession, we could be in for some serious trouble.

And no, I'm not blaming any particular party. Both have had major influences in building this climate.

Findog
09-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Things are just great. The financial news coming from Wall Street is very good. And if you're having trouble paying your bills, fuck you, you had it coming.

KenMcCoy
That's beyond the point. The top 1% now make 23% of the income, IIRC. The last time that rate was that high was right before the Great Depression. Executive salaries keep skyrocketing while lower level pay increases aren't keeping pace with inflation the last couple of years. The difference is too extreme to maintain economic feasibility.

Either peon wages need to increase, or executives need to decrease, to maintain a status quo on purchasing power for the poorer portions of the country. Otherwise you end up with no non-necessity shopping, which stagnates the economy even further.

Have you noticed that just like the Great Depression, financial institutions are failing now as well, and the stock market is very worried about the bottom falling out.

There's a lot of similarities between the current situation and the leadup to the Great Depression, enough to be concerned about it, anyway. That's why it's worth keeping track of economic growth, at the moment. If it does tip into true recession, we could be in for some serious trouble.

And no, I'm not blaming any particular party. Both have had major influences in building this climate.

Agreed, but this is not the time to start any "New Deal II" policies. If anything, the way the recession was handled after the crash of '29 shows that there should be LESS government involvement and not more. Hoover and FDR pushed what would have been a recession into the Great Depression.

Gino
Im not sure the "voting present 130 times" deserves to be on the list because that would open up the topic for every bill he co-sponsored or didn't vote "present".

Plus I want to keep sarcasm off the list.

To recap:

1) Won the nomination
2) Isn't Bush

spurster
09-17-2008, 02:15 PM

Well, John McCain, like you I am not an economist, but the gist of it seems to be that Wall Street went on a bender and bet the house that pooling a bunch of bad mortgages into bigger packages would be winners. Now the government is trying to avert a financial meltdown on a daily basis by giving away money, betting that the value of the US dollar will prop things up while the hurricane blows.

The Reckoning
09-17-2008, 02:15 PM
he speaks french...i think

obama the mesiah
09-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Heres the basic comparison if you or I were applying for a job:
Obama:
Occidental College - Two years.
Columbia University - B.A. political science with a specialization in international relations.
Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

& Biden:
University of Delaware - B.A. in history and B.A. in political science.
Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

vs.

McCain:
United States Naval Academy - Class rank 894 out of 899 (meaning that, like George Bush, McCain was at the bottom of his class)

Palin:
Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester
North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study
University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism
Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester
University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in journalism

Now, which team are you going to hire to lead the most influential nation in the world?

Findog
09-17-2008, 02:18 PM
1) Won the nomination
2) Isn't Bush

That's still better than John "I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated" McCain.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007600

So this guy is supposed to be President because the Vietcong hit him a few times? Obama may not have held political office all his life, which isn't exactly a minus in my book, but at least when he speaks, he demonstrates he knows what he's talking about.

Gino
09-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Heres the basic comparison if you or I were applying for a job:
Obama:
Occidental College - Two years.
Columbia University - B.A. political science with a specialization in international relations.
Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

& Biden:
University of Delaware - B.A. in history and B.A. in political science.
Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

vs.

McCain:
United States Naval Academy - Class rank 894 out of 899 (meaning that, like George Bush, McCain was at the bottom of his class)

Palin:
Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester
North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study
University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism
Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester
University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in journalism

Now, which team are you going to hire to lead the most influential nation in the world?

We have a vote for "received law degree".

1) Won nomination
2) Isn't Bush
3) Has Law degree

I think my point has been made. Obama's REAL accomplishments include his two memoirs and three speeches.

Lets start the McCain list now....I'll start:

1) Led the effort to normalize Relations with Vietnam

2) Pushed through the successful Iraq "Surge"

3) McCain-Feingold (Some people think it sucks....but its still a major accomplishment for him). Is there another Bill (McCain-Kennedy...McCain-Lieberman) that might be considered bigger?

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 02:24 PM
That's still better than John "I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated" McCain.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007600

So this guy is supposed to be President because the Vietcong hit him a few times? Obama may not have held political office all his life, which isn't exactly a minus in my book, but at least when he speaks, he demonstrates he knows what he's talking about.

Only fools think they know everything and don't need to learn anymore...

Findog
09-17-2008, 02:27 PM

If John McCain wants to open up an economics textbook, fine by me. We just can't wait on his on the job training.

fyatuk
09-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Agreed, but this is not the time to start any "New Deal II" policies. If anything, the way the recession was handled after the crash of '29 shows that there should be LESS government involvement and not more. Hoover and FDR pushed what would have been a recession into the Great Depression.

Don't disagree with you there. Just pointing out there are several red flags waving saying something is wrong.

The Reckoning
09-17-2008, 02:28 PM
"He is currently the Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Armed Services. He also serves on the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, and the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs." http://mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=AboutSenatorMcCain.Biography

served on senate for 22 years (thats alot of reelections)

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Lets start the McCain list now....I'll start:

1) Led the effort to normalize Relations with Vietnam

2) Pushed through the successful Iraq "Surge"

3) McCain-Feingold (Some people think it sucks....but its still a major accomplishment for him). Is there another Bill (McCain-Kennedy...McCain-Lieberman) that might be considered bigger?

22 succesful bombing missions...

Foresaw the problems that relaxed regulations on sub prime loans would have on the economy...

Correctly chose the right running mate...

Has a hot wife and generally kicks ass

fyatuk
09-17-2008, 02:36 PM
"He is currently the Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Armed Services. He also serves on the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, and the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs." http://mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=AboutSenatorMcCain.Biography

served on senate for 22 years (thats alot of reelections)

Not really. Means he's been elected 4 times to the Senate (so re-elected thrice). Still impressive, but it's not like he's been reelected 11 times like he would have if he were a 22 year Representative.

Gino
09-17-2008, 02:37 PM

Don't even bother with that guy. I got him and his whole "KFC" crew on ignore.

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 02:39 PM
If John McCain wants to open up an economics textbook, fine by me. We just can't wait on his on the job training.

He's going to learn exactly how Obama will...by listening to his economic advisors.

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Don't even bother with that guy. I got him and his whole "KFC" crew on ignore.

Makes the day go by faster...

Gino
09-17-2008, 02:41 PM
22 succesful bombing missions...

Foresaw the problems that relaxed regulations on sub prime loans would have on the economy...

Correctly chose the right running mate...

Has a hot wife and generally kicks ass

Maybe this should be on the list...but I think if we are talking about his "Signature" military achievement, it would be refusing to leave a POW camp early.

Or maybe commanding the largest squadron in the Navy.

How bout both?

Obama:

1) Won nomination
2) Isn't Bush
3) Has Law degree

McCain
1) Won nomination

2) Led the effort to normalize Relations with Vietnam

3) Pushed through the successful Iraq "Surge"

4) McCain-Feingold (Some people think it sucks....but its still a major accomplishment for him). Is there another Bill (McCain-Kennedy...McCain-Lieberman) that might be considered bigger?

5) Refused to leave a POW camp ealier than his peers when given the offer because of who his father was.

6) Commanded the largest squadron in the navy

obama the mesiah
09-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Obama has sponsored 136 bills since Jan 4, 2005, 2 have become law.[2] This figure does not include bills to which Obama contributed very substantially as cosponsor, such as the Coburn-Obama Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006 or the Lugar-Nunn Cooperative Proliferation Detection, Interdiction Assistance, and Conventional Threat Reduction Act of 2006. They also exclude amendments to other bills, although these in the Senate are not required to be germane to the parent bill and can therefore effectively be bills in their own right.[3] Obama has co-sponsored 619 bills during the same time period. According to Factcheck.org however "cosponsorship does not require a commitment of time, energy or resources – let alone the political or policy ingenuity that might generate a bill idea in the first place."

An accurate comparison would have included only the bills Obama has sponsored that have been signed into law. Obama has had just two in his three years:[1]

S. 3757, A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 950 Missouri Avenue in East St. Louis, Illinois, as the "Katherine Dunham Post Office Building.
S. 2125, A bill to promote relief, security, and democracy in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

George Gervin's Afro
09-17-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't want a list of every bill he ever co-sponsored.

Is it writing two memoires and making three speeches (04 DNC, his anti-Iraq speech and his Germany speech)?

Thats all that comes to mind. What am I missing?

why are you asking?

KenMcCoy
S. 3757, A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 950 Missouri Avenue in East St. Louis, Illinois, as the "Katherine Dunham Post Office Building.

That definitely has to go on his accomplishments list.:rollin

obama the mesiah
Obama has sponsored 136 bills since Jan 4, 2005, 2 have become law.[2] This figure does not include bills to which Obama contributed very substantially as cosponsor, such as the Coburn-Obama Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006 or the Lugar-Nunn Cooperative Proliferation Detection, Interdiction Assistance, and Conventional Threat Reduction Act of 2006. They also exclude amendments to other bills, although these in the Senate are not required to be germane to the parent bill and can therefore effectively be bills in their own right.[3] Obama has co-sponsored 619 bills during the same time period. According to Factcheck.org however "cosponsorship does not require a commitment of time, energy or resources – let alone the political or policy ingenuity that might generate a bill idea in the first place."

An accurate comparison would have included only the bills Obama has sponsored that have been signed into law. Obama has had just two in his three years:[1]

S. 2125, A bill to promote relief, security, and democracy in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

George Gervin's Afro
09-17-2008, 02:50 PM
That definitely has to go on his accomplishments list.:rollin

He didn't support an unecessary war. Is that one?

Mr. Dictionary
09-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Mesiah

...computing...

Sorry, there are no results for "mesiah"
Suggestions for mesiah:
1. messiah 2. messy
3. Maceio 4. mazy

obama the mesiah
09-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Editor of the Harvard Law Review Elected president of the Law Review, a full-time volunteer position functioning as editor-in-chief and supervising the Law Review's staff of 80 editors. Obama directed Illinois's Project Vote from April to October 1992, a voter registration drive with a staff of 10 and 700 volunteers and which achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African-Americans in the state, and led to Crain's Chicago Business naming Obama to its 1993 list of "40 under Forty" powers to be.

Beginning in 1992, Obama taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School for twelve years, being first classified as a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996, and then as a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004. Also served the communities in Chicago in many organizations........More?

obama the mesiah
09-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Does anyone want to confirm that mccain by his own admission feels that his time in Vietnam taught him a lesson . Any one know how many planes he crashed ? I believe it was 5. before Vietnam

tonylongoriafan
09-17-2008, 03:01 PM

HERE :lol

Findog
09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Does anyone want to confirm that mccain by his own admission feels that his time in Vietnam taught him a lesson . Any one know how many planes he crashed ? I believe it was 5. before Vietnam

He was a notoriously poor pilot.

obama the mesiah
09-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Well If you liked the last 8 years ,then vote for McBush....euh McCain....he voted with the president 94% of the time .

Creepn
09-17-2008, 03:10 PM
We have a vote for "received law degree".

1) Won nomination
2) Isn't Bush
3) Has Law degree

I think my point has been made. Obama's REAL accomplishments include his two memoirs and three speeches.

This is ridiculous. How can you belittle these kinds of accomplishments? Being raised poor and going to Harvard is a HUUUUUUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE accomplishment. I'd be satisfied if that was my only accomplishment. I bet Obama accomplished more than your ass ever done. Are you running for president?

Gino
09-17-2008, 03:17 PM

Good stuff.

Obama:

1) Won nomination
2) Isn't Bush
3) Has Law degree
4) Signature bills include renaming an office building and a bill to promote helping the republic of Congo (but not actually helping the Congo).

McCain
1) Won nomination

4) McCain-Feingold (Some people think it sucks....but its still a major accomplishment for him). Is there another Bill (McCain-Kennedy...McCain-Lieberman) that might be considered bigger?

5) Refused to leave a POW camp ealier than his peers when given the offer because of who his father was.

101A
09-17-2008, 03:19 PM
That's beyond the point. The top 1% now make 23% of the income, IIRC.

Where do you get your facts?

In 1929 the top 1% held 44% of the nation's wealth; we are a far, far cry from that point.

How about this: in 1998, it was 38%

Look Here for more detailed analysis. (http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html)

Findog
09-17-2008, 03:22 PM
This is ridiculous. How can you belittle these kinds of accomplishments? Being raised poor and going to Harvard is a HUUUUUUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE accomplishment. I'd be satisfied if that was my only accomplishment. I bet Obama accomplished more than your ass ever done. Are you running for president?

What is extremely ironic to me is that Obama has NONE of the negative stereotypes associated with blacks, it seems to me that he is the kind of black person that white people would approve of and like. And of course it was jarring to hear the party of extreme wealth and privilege deride a black man of humble origins who worked hard and got a good education as "elitist." So today's Republican party is anti-education. Education is fer them liburul faggots.

Gino
09-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Editor of the Harvard Law Review Elected president of the Law Review, a full-time volunteer position functioning as editor-in-chief and supervising the Law Review's staff of 80 editors. Obama directed Illinois's Project Vote from April to October 1992, a voter registration drive with a staff of 10 and 700 volunteers and which achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African-Americans in the state, and led to Crain's Chicago Business naming Obama to its 1993 list of "40 under Forty" powers to be.

Beginning in 1992, Obama taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School for twelve years, being first classified as a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996, and then as a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004. Also served the communities in Chicago in many organizations........More?

You want me to put "participated in a voter registration" to his list of signature achievements?

I dont think for one second that that is close to writing his two memoirs and his three speeches.

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Well If you liked the last 8 years ,then vote for McBush....euh McCain....he voted with the president 94% of the time .

I'm hoping for 16 more years...McCain 8 yrs followed by Palin 8 yrs.

101A
09-17-2008, 03:25 PM

How many other people raised poor have Harvard Law degrees?

They ALL have the same signature accomplishment.

101A
09-17-2008, 03:26 PM

Fail.

He voted with Bush 94% of the time in 1997. In 1991? 64%.

Obama? 60% the first year he was in.

The Reckoning
09-17-2008, 03:26 PM
So today's Republican party is anti-education. Education is fer them liburul faggots.

education should be a state matter. give the classroom back to the teachers.

fyatuk
09-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Where do you get your facts?

In 1929 the top 1% held 44% of the nation's wealth; we are a far, far cry from that point.

How about this: in 1998, it was 38%

Look Here for more detailed analysis. (http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html)

Income != wealth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/29/business/29tax.html

In 2005, the top 1% received "their largerst share of national income since 1928"

"The top 1 percent received 21.8 percent of all reported income in 2005, up significantly from 19.8 percent the year before and more than double their share of income in 1980. The peak was in 1928, when the top 1 percent reported 23.9 percent of all income."

perhaps you should read posts more carefully.

romad_20
09-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Obama directed Illinois's Project Vote from April to October 1992, a voter registration drive with a staff of 10 and 700 volunteers and which achieved its goal of registering 150,000 of 400,000 unregistered African-Americans in the state

Beginning in 1992, Obama taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School for twelve years, being first classified as a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996, and then as a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004.

I would put these on the list. These are real world things that actually have made a difference in people's lives, I don't think they can be trivialized. His political resume is thin, but isn't this about changing Washington, according to both sides?

Gino
09-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Exactly.

And how many people were against the Iraq War?

Millions.

Yet we keep hearing how he showed what great "judgement" he had.

obama the mesiah
09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
McCain all those years of expierience, he comments on the war he says he knows how to win it...he comments on the economy he says I can fix it. He's been there all these years and says that ? Why doesn't he fix these things now ?Is he saying you have to elect me president first?

Findog
09-17-2008, 03:32 PM
education should be a state matter. give the classroom back to the teachers.

Exactly! No more No Child Left Behind.

I'll just settle for the GOP's rank and file voters no longer exercising seething resentment over somebody else furthering their education past high school.

DarrinS
09-17-2008, 03:32 PM
He quit smoking.

Gino
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
McCain all those years of expierience, he comments on the war he says he knows how to win it...he comments on the economy he says I can fix it. He's been there all these years and says that ? Why doesn't he fix these things now ? Is he saying you have to elect me president first?

Surge? What Surge?

Gino
09-17-2008, 03:35 PM
He quit smoking.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obama:

1) Won nomination
2) Isn't Bush
3) Has Law degree
4) Quit Smoking :smokin
5) Signature bills include re-naming an office building and a bill to promote helping the republic of Congo (but not actually helping the Congo).

McCain:

1) Won nomination

Findog
09-17-2008, 03:37 PM
The "surge" didn't work. The violence went down when we paid Iraqis off to stop attacking us. Also, it's a post-war wasteland, the violence is down because there's not as many people left to kill.

:lmao at people talking up the "surge."

Creepn
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM

You make it sound like it's such a common and easy thing to do. And lets not say "ALL" if you are including poor whites. Poor whites have a hellava lot easier than poor blacks.

Besides no matter what, Obama had to strive harder than McCain ever has to get to where they are at now.

The Reckoning
09-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Exactly! No more No Child Left Behind.

i agree. why do you think our universities are so successful? the professor has complete control over the classroom. we need more educated teachers - not a stale doctrine of teaching kids over and over crap that means nothing past grade school

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 03:46 PM
You make it sound like it's such a common and easy thing to do.

Besides no matter what, Obama had to strive harder than McCain ever has to get to where they are at now.

W graduated from Yale so I don't think it's actually that difficult if you can afford it (or find some type of scholarship to pay for it).

Creepn
09-17-2008, 03:48 PM
W graduated from Yale so I don't think it's actually that difficult if you can afford it (or find some type of scholarship to pay for it).

Yeah, its not that difficult if you can afford it.

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 03:49 PM
W also got his MBA from Harvard. So for all of the Bush haters...

I guess Obama = Bush

Viva Las Espuelas
09-17-2008, 03:50 PM
:lmao at people talking up the "surge."
obamessiah did/is. he just didn't credit the surge 'cause he didn't want to look dumb after voting against it.

SpursFanFirst
09-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Things are just great. The financial news coming from Wall Street is very good. And if you're having trouble paying your bills, fuck you, you had it coming.

I don't believe anyone put it that way.

Creepn
09-17-2008, 03:58 PM
W also got his MBA from Harvard. So for all of the Bush haters...

I guess Obama = Bush

Sorry I'd have to disagree there. Just because one graduated from the same school as the other doesn't mean that they are equally smart.

One of Bush's old teachers at Harvard:

"I don't remember all the students in detail unless I'm prompted by something," Tsurumi said in a telephone interview Wednesday. "But I always remember two types of students. One is the very excellent student, the type as a professor you feel honored to be working with. Someone with strong social values, compassion and intellect -- the very rare person you never forget. And then you remember students like George Bush, those who are totally the opposite."

http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature/2004/09/16/tsurumi/

Anti.Hero
09-17-2008, 04:01 PM
The American Dream is dead. There is no way a black kid got into Harvard.

Obama is running on not being Bush. Findog eats it up.

I applaud you SpursFanFirst for not being a weakling and letting the government tell you the world is ending. You are already ahead of millions of Americans who still think Obama or any politician will save them.

Be proud of yourself for not seeing the word change, and stopping there without thinking anymore what that change actually means.

Creepn
09-17-2008, 04:03 PM

lol I wouldnt say that. But I would say that the American Dream is just a helluva lot harder for some than others. Wouldnt you?

Viva Las Espuelas
09-17-2008, 04:08 PM
http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature/2004/09/16/tsurumi/

salon.com?
are you serious. a san francisco online magazine with an editor in chief that's practically on the payroll at MSNBC. no bias there.

Creepn
09-17-2008, 04:10 PM
lol viva so?

Are you saying that Salon made up that quote?

baseline bum
09-17-2008, 04:11 PM
No, I think he's saying the professor is a libtard and Bush was an A student.

Findog
09-17-2008, 04:14 PM

Obama is running on not being Bush. Findog eats it up.

I applaud you SpursFanFirst for not being a weakling and letting the government tell you the world is ending. You are already ahead of millions of Americans who still think Obama or any politician will save them.

Be proud of yourself for not seeing the word change, and stopping there without thinking anymore what that change actually means.

Biggest misconception and why the conservatives don't get it, and why they'll never get it. Nobody thinks Obama is a messiah or a miracle worker. Lots of things won't change no matter who wins. But the GOP has a record of gross incompetence over the last 8 years, and the Democrats deserve a chance to show they can do better.

McCain has no agenda other than he wants to be President. Obama has a huge ego too, but he at least wants to do positive things when he gets into office.

Findog
09-17-2008, 04:15 PM
salon.com?
are you serious. a san francisco online magazine with an editor in chief that's practically on the payroll at MSNBC. no bias there.

So Bush didn't take that class? That professor doesn't have that opinion of his former student? Examine the content, not the source.

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry I'd have to disagree there. Just because one graduated from the same school as the other doesn't mean that they are equally smart.

I never said Obama wasn't smart. You had said that you couldn't believe that we were belittling his graduating from Harvard...all I am saying is that it isn't difficult too difficult to graduate from Harvard (or any college for that matter). As W demonstrates...95% of life is just showing up.

Creepn
09-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I never said Obama wasn't smart. You had said that you couldn't believe that we were belittling his graduating from Harvard...all I am saying is that it isn't difficult too difficult to graduate from Harvard (or any college for that matter). As W demonstrates...95% of life is just showing up.

Oh really? I didnt know Harvard would be as equally hard as going to San Antonio College.

lol Wow, talk about belittle. :lol

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 04:42 PM
The only way to find out would be to take the same classes at SAC and at Harvard

KenMcCoy
09-17-2008, 04:43 PM
So you are belittling Bush's accomplishments???

SpursFanFirst
09-17-2008, 04:46 PM
but he at least wants to do positive things when he gets into office.

Well, you got us there. Obama is the ONLY person who has ever run for office who wants to make a positive change.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Examine the content, not the source.:lmao

Viva Las Espuelas
09-17-2008, 04:51 PM

how did he do there? transcripts?

Findog
09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
:lmao

I definitely think Salon had an agenda in tracking this guy down to ask him his opinion, but do you deny that GWB took that class and that the prof had a low opinion of him? It doesn't even matter, Truman never made it past high school.

SpursFanFirst
09-17-2008, 06:07 PM
This is an AP article, so here's the link

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26744322

Still, he added, "If the issue is whether the U.S. had a dynamic, resilient economy, and that the long-term trends are positive, I completely agree. ... It's important not to get carried away with gloom and doom."

obama the mesiah
09-18-2008, 07:31 AM
September 17th, 2008

http://staging.michaelmoore.com/_images/splash/twofaced.jpgJohnny Two-Faced (http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/latestnews/index.php?id=12275)

remember when said this and then this ,Obama on point all the time !

obama the mesiah
09-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Obama had game in his early days ,thats gotta count

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYCEnVmNkpE

TheMadHatter
09-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Barack graduated MCL.