PDA

View Full Version : Ian Mahinmi

21+20+9=50
09-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Is he going to play for the Toros this year, or the spurs???? Cuz if he plays for the spurs this year, man i cant wait to see him lined up next to TD.....

DPG21920
09-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Probably Spurs, although he does have one more year of eligibility in the d-league, IIRC

21+20+9=50
09-17-2008, 02:26 PM
i guess that could be the only exciting thing this year....

ducks
09-17-2008, 02:28 PM
go to seach box type
Ian Mahinmi
and see what you find

tonylongoriafan
09-17-2008, 02:52 PM
ian mahinmi...seriously...next to timmy d. that spot is filled. KT is SOLID

ducks
09-17-2008, 02:53 PM
kt can not play 48 minutes

21+20+9=50
09-17-2008, 02:55 PM
ian mahinmi...seriously...next to timmy d. that spot is filled. KT is SOLID

we need a shot blocker, some athleticism and most of all something explosive in that starting lineup.....KT has no hops at all, i would have loved it if he was 4 or 5 years younger..

tonylongoriafan
09-17-2008, 02:58 PM
no one plays 48 minutes...thomas played a half of season, at times looked lost, at time took bad shots, and still looked solid. he is the prototypical sidekick for temmmy. good rebounder, solid jumper...pair thomas with oberto and your lineup is complete.

best case scenario for ian is that he gets minutes backing up duncan, not playing along with him.

xtremesteven33
09-17-2008, 03:01 PM
all i want from Ian is hustle.

show why you hated the D-league for so long and you deserve a spot on the Spurs rotation. Show that Spurs fans can believe the hype.

Just show promise Ian, and you will win us over.

21+20+9=50
09-17-2008, 03:01 PM
no one plays 48 minutes...thomas played a half of season, at times looked lost, at time took bad shots, and still looked solid. he is the prototypical sidekick for temmmy. good rebounder, solid jumper...pair thomas with oberto and your lineup is complete.

best case scenario for ian is that he gets minutes backing up duncan, not playing along with him.

I want Mahinimi to be the same threat Bynum is for the lakers or Tyson Chandler is for the Hornets, i know he is not going to be a great defender and will pick up early fouls, but there would be an alley oup scare when people will sag of him and double duncan....

T Park
09-17-2008, 03:06 PM
i guess that could be the only exciting thing this year....

Yeah watching the best power forward to ever lace up sneakers, a top 5 point guard, and a championship contender is goddamn boring.

21+20+9=50
09-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah watching the best power forward to ever lace up sneakers, a top 5 point guard, and a championship contender is goddamn boring.

shit man no need to get emmotional, i didn't mean it like that, i have been watching these two for last 5-6 years they have been together, i just meant that Mahinimi is going to be a new comer and its going to be different from other years, since Davis Robinson i dont remember having such an young atheletic and big guy on our roster, and everyone know Tims is awsome to watch but he is not all that exciting ( Only true basketball watchers apprecaite him and offcourse the people in San Antonio)

tonylongoriafan
09-17-2008, 03:37 PM
shit man no need to get emmotional, i didn't mean it like that, i have been watching these two for last 5-6 years they have been together, i just meant that Mahinimi is going to be a new comer and its going to be different from other years, since Davis Robinson i dont remember having such an young atheletic and big guy on our roster, and everyone know Tims is awsome to watch but he is not all that exciting ( Only true basketball watchers apprecaite him and offcourse the people in San Antonio)

i don't want to come off as a Mahinimi-hater, but raw talent is only going to get you so far. i hope he comes in and is able to make an impact, but just because he has a good verticial, i don't see it

DROB4EVER
09-17-2008, 05:35 PM
i don't want to come off as a Mahinimi-hater, but raw talent is only going to get you so far. i hope he comes in and is able to make an impact, but just because he has a good verticial, i don't see it

His problem is he is very soft, does not finish well around the rim. His timing needs work on shot blocking but what he does well is pass, has a nice outside shot and will outrun any big in the leauge down the floor.

His addition will likely be used to get us more fast break points and contend will the faster bigs of the Lakers and Suns. If he stays out of foul trouble I can see him being a differnce maker.

Sissiborgo
09-17-2008, 05:36 PM
He would never fit with Duncan no way...

Spuradicator
09-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Hopefully Ian can be a diamond in the rough.

duncan228
09-17-2008, 07:47 PM
I would love to see Ian steal the starting power for- err center spot.

:lol Good catch. What Duncan wants, Duncan gets. And he wants to be called a Power Forward.

Allanon
09-17-2008, 08:08 PM
His problem is he is very soft, does not finish well around the rim. His timing needs work on shot blocking but what he does well is pass, has a nice outside shot and will outrun any big in the leauge down the floor.

His addition will likely be used to get us more fast break points and contend will the faster bigs of the Lakers and Suns. If he stays out of foul trouble I can see him being a differnce maker.

I agree with alot of this but still not sold on whether he's an NBA level player. European players like Splitter, Scola, Marc Gasol probably are much more physically suited to the NBA game than Ian.

His biggest weakness is that he's a Center but he's way too skinny. He's only something like 220-230 pounds.

For comparison, some of the West Centers have like 30-100 pounds on him

Shaq 325
Yao 310
Oden 285
Bynum 280
Kaman 265

With his decent shooting touch he could be better developed into a Power Forward.

That said, I also agree the Spurs just got to bring him in this year and see what he can do. He'll be quicker than almost all the Centers but he's going to get posted up alot.

Brutalis
09-17-2008, 08:31 PM
If Ian plays like he did in summer league he'll be back on the Toros.

HarlemHeat37
09-17-2008, 08:45 PM
some people don't look at shit in the right way..you can't look at Mahinmi from an individual standpoint..you have to look at it how he fits with the team..a lot of people mention stuff like Mahinmi's raw game(which is obviously true) and his lack of post moves and what not..but the guy is RARELY gonna create his own shot..the thing that I like about him is that he's tall and athletic, which is something we're missing..

Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker..these are the 3 guys that our offense runs through, and it has certainly been EXTREMELY successful..even last year, we made the conference finals with an injured Manu..what does Ian have to do? he just has to feed off the 3 of them, and FINISH STRONG..provide us with some explosiveness at the rim..block some shots playing next to Duncan..

will he do it right away? probably not..but how else is he going to learn? he needs to play in the NBA..this guy is in a great position..he's playing next to the best big man in the NBA..he's playing for the best coach in the NBA IMO(at worst 2nd behind PJ)..we just need him to use his athleticism in a productive way..we don't need him to be Hakeem Olajuwon, we need him to be Tyson Chandler..

Tully365
09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
some people don't look at shit in the right way..you can't look at Mahinmi from an individual standpoint..you have to look at it how he fits with the team..a lot of people mention stuff like Mahinmi's raw game(which is obviously true) and his lack of post moves and what not..but the guy is RARELY gonna create his own shot..the thing that I like about him is that he's tall and athletic, which is something we're missing..

Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker..these are the 3 guys that our offense runs through, and it has certainly been EXTREMELY successful..even last year, we made the conference finals with an injured Manu..what does Ian have to do? he just has to feed off the 3 of them, and FINISH STRONG..provide us with some explosiveness at the rim..block some shots playing next to Duncan..

will he do it right away? probably not..but how else is he going to learn? he needs to play in the NBA..this guy is in a great position..he's playing next to the best big man in the NBA..he's playing for the best coach in the NBA IMO(at worst 2nd behind PJ)..we just need him to use his athleticism in a productive way..we don't need him to be Hakeem Olajuwon, we need him to be Tyson Chandler..

:tu Or Dalembert.

I think some people are being unrealistic about Mahinmi. He's a late 1st round pick who played well in the D league. He's not the next Hakeem, and he doesn't need to be. If he can play good defense and put up better numbers than Elson or Horry did last year, than the Spurs rate as at least slightly improved in the bigs department. Horry had the worst season of his long career, and finished with averages of 2.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, and 13 mpg. Elson finished last season with averages of 3.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, and 12.9 mpg. So if Ian goes into the playoffs next year averaging 5 & 5 in 15 mpg, I think the Spurs will consider it mission accomplished. And anything resembling occasional double figures in pts or rebounds would be gravy.

HarlemHeat37
09-17-2008, 10:59 PM
great post from Tully..sometimes I get the feeling that people forget where Mahinmi was picked..when you read about some of the expectations here, you think the guy was a lottery pick..Duncan and Robinson have spoiled us..the RARE gems have spoiled us(Parker and Manu)..

TDMVPDPOY
09-17-2008, 11:33 PM
wtf is wrong with him, ever since he got drafted how come he didnt put on more weight

look at dwight when he was drafted, a Bagofbones guy, then headed for the gym, first season he was a beast

Manufan909
09-18-2008, 02:01 AM
Not everyone is into steroids.

Jk, not to hate on Howard, but hopefully Ian is just more comfortable in a fast, sleek body. He needs to put on 50lbs by the beginning of next season, though.

EDIT: Reading my post, I was just wondering if that's a reasonable goal for Ian to have? Is a year enough to put on that much weight?

xellos88330
09-18-2008, 03:20 AM
I really have high hopes for this guy. The Spurs really need some athleticism in the front court. Then again they are only hopes. If he turns out to be the "diamond in the rough", then I really believe the Spurs will be the team to beat.

mountainballer
09-18-2008, 04:51 AM
So if Ian goes into the playoffs next year averaging 5 & 5 in 15 mpg, I think the Spurs will consider it mission accomplished. And anything resembling occasional double figures in pts or rebounds would be gravy.

:lol you realize that 5+5 in 15 MPG are fantastic numbers for a big (not named Duncan) in the Spurs system? (in other words, gravy numbers)
if he in fact plays 15MPG, this would mean, that he took the #4 spot in the big rotation (ahead of Bonner). even a 4+4 is a very nice production for this minutes in this role.

I think it's more realistic that he moves up to the #5 spot in the big rotation, this would mean he will get around 10 MPG and a DNP every 3rd game.
but our problem isn't the #4 or #5 spot anyhow. the problem is the #2 in the big rotation. a player with the quality of Horry and KT before they turned 34. then Fab and KT would take the #3 and #4 spot (playing about 18 and 15 MPG) and Ian is #5.

Tully365
09-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Here are some stats for comparison:

Nazr Mohammed '05-06
17.4 mpg
5.2 rpg
6.2 ppg

Elson '06-07
19 mpg
4.8rpg
5 ppg

Nesterovic '05-06
18.9 mpg
3.9 rpg
4.5 ppg

Bonner '07-08
12.5 mpg
2.8 rpg
4.8 ppg

At this point, I see KT and Oberto getting playing time based heavily on match ups, and it seems to me that the best case scenario would be for Mahinmi to make this a somewhat balanced trio come the '09 playoffs.
I agree with you that 4 & 4 might be more realistic. We'll see about Bonner and maybe Tolliver... but, overall, I do see the potential for a slight improvement compared with the start of the '07-08 season, if for no other reason then we'll most likely have healthier bigs with a slightly younger average age. Nothing major... but the chance for a small step forward. Still wish they'd signed Gist, though.

mountainballer
09-18-2008, 06:13 AM

Nazr Mohammed '05-06
17.4 mpg
5.2 rpg
6.2 ppg

Elson '06-07
19 mpg
4.8rpg
5 ppg

Nesterovic '05-06
18.9 mpg
3.9 rpg
4.5 ppg

Bonner '07-08
12.5 mpg
2.8 rpg
4.8 ppg

At this point, I see KT and Oberto getting playing time based heavily on match ups, and it seems to me that the best case scenario would be for Mahinmi to make this a somewhat balanced trio come the '09 playoffs.
I agree with you that 4 & 4 might be more realistic. We'll see about Bonner and maybe Tolliver... but, overall, I do see the potential for a slight improvement compared with the start of the '07-08 season, if for no other reason then we'll most likely have healthier bigs with a slightly younger average age. Nothing major... but the chance for a small step forward. Still wish they'd signed Gist, though.

I know this numbers, that's why I mentioned a 5+5 in 15MPG would be fantastic.
the last time we saw somehow "big" production from a big next to Tim was in the 2005 PO, when either Horry (9 PPG) and Nazr (7+7) delivered significant numbers.

the thing about the big rotation is, that Pop isn't very flexible. he will play a 4+1 rotation in the regular season (4 big men rotation with a 5th player getting occasionally minutes) and this rotation will be cut to 3+1 in the PO. so Pop won't switch this 5th spot from game to game and just based on some match ups. if Ian plays really good, he might get the chance to move up one spot in the rotation, then he could be the #4 and get about 15 MPG and maybe in fact deliver a 4+4.

but as mentioned, I still believe we need to close the gap between Tim and whoever is #2 via trade. we will desperately need a guy, who plays about 25 MPG and delivers something like 8+8. (a smart role player big like Nick Collison would be perfect, but not easy to get of course). if this #2 big is more of a rebounding machine, so be it. then we would need a 5+9 (plus good defense) from a player type like Foster or Przbilla. so or so, it's not something we can expect from Ian this season (if ever).

urunobili
09-18-2008, 07:38 AM
if he can match Elson's numbers with i'll be happy with Ian... more than that.. even better and bigger surprise at least for me...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-18-2008, 07:41 AM
TD-KT-Fab-Ian-Red Rocket is an intriguing bigman lineup... if it clicks. A brute, a finesse, a leaper and a shooter (hopefully he has a better year) next to TD.

If Ian is active on the boards, blocks shots from the weakside, and isn't a liability on defence, I'm happy.

cool hand
09-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Has To Become A Star Right Now.

cool hand
09-18-2008, 08:31 AM

Nazr Mohammed '05-06
17.4 mpg
5.2 rpg
6.2 ppg

Elson '06-07
19 mpg
4.8rpg
5 ppg

Nesterovic '05-06
18.9 mpg
3.9 rpg
4.5 ppg

Bonner '07-08
12.5 mpg
2.8 rpg
4.8 ppg

BPG is what I want to know.

mountainballer
09-18-2008, 09:00 AM
WAITER!! WHERE IS MY BPG!!

Tully365
09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
I still believe we need to close the gap between Tim and whoever is #2 via trade. we will desperately need a guy, who plays about 25 MPG and delivers something like 8+8. (a smart role player big like Nick Collison would be perfect, but not easy to get of course). if this #2 big is more of a rebounding machine, so be it. then we would need a 5+9 (plus good defense) from a player type like Foster or Przbilla. so or so, it's not something we can expect from Ian this season (if ever).

It's funny that you mention Collison, because I've had my eye on him for a few months now too-- He's almost a 10/10 player and really doesn't get much notice. He has three years left on his contract, so I could actually see a situation where OK would trade him for younger players with shorter contracts.... like Mahinmi + others. Foster would be great too. But if a trade doesn't happen, I still think that the Spurs could be similar to the 90s Bulls with an unglamorous but effective trio of bigs taking turns alongside Timmy.
Just think if Splitter had come....

Tully365
09-18-2008, 02:32 PM

It's interesting that Mahinmi has improved greatly on one of his main weaknesses-- staying out of foul trouble. But in this past summer league, his block numbers were way down. If I remember correctly, George Hill had more blocks than Ian in Vegas and Utah. At the end of last season's D league, Ian was a blocking machine, so hopefully he can find a balance this year between staying out of foul trouble while still being a defensive force in the paint as the season progresses.

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 02:45 PM
upon review...this guy needs to be here...at least to get some garbage minutes...anyone know his contact status?

DPG21920
09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
He is under contract for this year, it is guaranteed and the Spurs have options for the next two years

Allanon
09-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Ian could also be useful in guarding Odom if the Lakers do a 3 big man lineup (Bynum, Pau, Odom)

I'm not sure how he'd do but at least you won't see 6'5 Udoka trying to guard and outrebound Odom.

Tully365
09-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Ian could also be useful in guarding Odom if the Lakers do a 3 big man lineup (Bynum, Pau, Odom)

I'm not sure how he'd do but at least you won't see 6'5 Udoka trying to guard and outrebound Odom.

True. Generally, I think the Spurs did a good job this off season, but my major concern is that they are now a smallish team, which is very different from the trademark size advantages that they've had in the past. Even Rasho was a legit 7' center. KT and Oberto are both slightly undersized, which could definitely present problems with the large front lines of the Lakers, the Trailblazers, the Celtics, etc. Splitter would've helped a lot... I don't know what Mahinmi's actual height and weight are now. I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'9" to 6'11', but as we saw with Beasley this summer those measurements are hard to trust. I imagine he has at least grown a little and put on some pounds since being drafted a couple of years ago. Hopefully he actually becomes a legit 6'11", 245 lbs in the near future, but he definitely seemed on the slim side to me in the summer leagues.

Allanon
09-18-2008, 04:34 PM
True. Generally, I think the Spurs did a good job this off season, but my major concern is that they are now a smallish team, which is very different from the trademark size advantages that they've had in the past. Even Rasho was a legit 7' center. KT and Oberto are both slightly undersized, which could definitely present problems with the large front lines of the Lakers, the Trailblazers, the Celtics, etc. Splitter would've helped a lot... I don't know what Mahinmi's actual height and weight are now. I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'9" to 6'11', but as we saw with Beasley this summer those measurements are hard to trust. I imagine he has at least grown a little and put on some pounds since being drafted a couple of years ago. Hopefully he actually becomes a legit 6'11", 245 lbs in the near future, but he definitely seemed on the slim side to me in the summer leagues.

True about Splitter...that dude would have helped you guys ALOT.

KT I think is 6'9, Oberto I'm not sure...he looks bigger than he is.

Ian is a legit 6'11 but he looks even skinnier than before so I'm guessing 220-230 pounds.

And yes, I think size will give the Spurs issues this year. Normally an older team needs a bit of size to make up for the lack of speed. Ian would at least even things up a bit as there are some huge teams now (Blazers, Rockets, Lakers, Celtics got a little smaller but still big, Grizzlies, Clippers to name a few)

mrspurs
09-18-2008, 05:53 PM
So far Ian's been a wasted project. He plays the same way since I first seen him when he was 17. His feet are glued to the floor, and I dont think anyone can unglue them. If he had a point like CP3 or Jason then maybe he would be better. But playing next to Timmy or Kurt and oh god Fab will make no difference in the end.

yavozerb
09-18-2008, 07:15 PM
So far Ian's been a wasted project. He plays the same way since I first seen him when he was 17. His feet are glued to the floor, and I dont think anyone can unglue them. If he had a point like CP3 or Jason then maybe he would be better. But playing next to Timmy or Kurt and oh god Fab will make no difference in the end.
:lol Ian is 21 y/o and is already a wasted project. I am pretty sure Ian got more playing last year than ever previously in his career. Yes, he still has alot of things to work on, but the guy seems to wanna really make the team. I am not against trading this guy if the right deal comes along. Ian still has plenty of things to work on to become an everyday NBA player, but at 21, he is anything but a failed project.

HarlemHeat37
09-18-2008, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't trade him..the guy hasn't even got a chance to prove himself yet..some guys just respond better when they play vs. superior competition..it might not be likely, but it's possible that he plays down to the competition in the D-league..IIRC, he's tired of playing there and wants to play for the Spurs..

mountainballer
09-19-2008, 03:14 AM
It's funny that you mention Collison, because I've had my eye on him for a few months now too-- He's almost a 10/10 player and really doesn't get much notice. He has three years left on his contract, so I could actually see a situation where OK would trade him for younger players with shorter contracts.... like Mahinmi + others.

I have been thinking about what scenario would make Presti want to trade Collison. (unfortunately there are more reasons to keep him)
free agency in 2009 or 2010 might be the best reason, OKC will be a player, they have enough cap space and if they dump Collison, they will have 6M more. on the other hand, neither is Collison to old to not see him as a part of the rebuilt team (27), nor is his contract that bad for what he delivers. Collison is one of the good guys and a leader, the young Thunders will need some players like him.
then I thought that the draft 2009 might be the crucial moment. I'm pretty sure Presti is dreaming about getting Blake Griffin from this draft. he looks to much like the perfect complement to Durant in the front court to not want him. if this happens and also DJ White does well, Collison looks expendable and 6M look to much for a then 15 MPG player. but of course, this scenario doesn't help us right now.

Bruno
09-19-2008, 04:47 AM
Mahinmi fits perfectly with what Spurs need as "the big to play alongside Duncan". He also has done a great job at working on his game and on his body (he was listed at 245lbs for the SL).

Saying that, he will be only a rookie. He will surely do some mistakes and struggle at times but he is quite talented, has worked a lot and has a wide open niche with Spurs as quick/mobile big. Time will tell what he will do but he there are some reasons to be optimistic about his future with Spurs.