PDA

View Full Version : Honestly

td4mvp21
09-17-2008, 02:50 PM
How good do you expect the Spurs to be this year? Try to be as unbiased and logical as possible. Will Ian even play for the Spurs? Will he contribute? What about Hill? What about Mason? Can Mason be a legit factor off the bench? Will Thomas/Oberto/Ian be a good frontcourt? Will the Spurs' shooting suffer with the loss of Barry and Finley (I realize Finley is still on the team but he is too old to consistently shoot well)?

Personally I still think the Spurs will be good. We have the Big Three + Bowen and that is a good enough core to be a solid team in the league. However, at this point, I would say that we aren't legit contenders. I say the Spurs will be one of those teams that is definitely a threat, but in all likelyhood is just a second round PO team. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see the Spurs as being more than that at this point unless the team comes together surprisingly well.

With the latter said, that is one thing I want the Spurs to do this season. I want them to put more effort into the regular season. And I don't mean go balls to the wall and I don't mean Pop increasing minutes. I mean putting forth more effort in developing team chemistry. IMO that really hurt us last year. The Spurs didn't give a shit about the regular season (completely understandable) but with that, they never really developed solid chemistry as a team. To me, that was clearly evident in the Lakers series. When Ginobili went down, it was the role players' time to step up and Barry was truly the only one who seized that opportunity. The Spurs lacked that team chemistry that the Lakers and Celtics had. That's one thing I hope I see this season is more of an effort to develop some chemistry. I think our championship hopes hinge on that factor alone (along with health).

So how does everyone else feel about the Spurs this season? I'm still excited regardless and I've found myself watching old Spurs games to fill that void until the season starts.

ducks
09-17-2008, 02:52 PM
spurs have to see if mason is the real deal
if spurs sign hill and keep tp rested for playoffs
IF MANU is 100% ever again?
lots of question marks now

xtremesteven33
09-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Keys to a Spurs Championship:

-Mason is the second coming of S-Jax
-Ginobili comes back in December/Januray with the 05 look
-An injury to the lakers/rocktes yields them from running away with the #1 spot.
-Spurs earn a #1 or #2 seed spot
-Hill/Mahimni are not good or bad

Many PackYao
09-17-2008, 03:05 PM

-An injury to the lakers/rocktes yields them from running away with the #1 spot.
Looks like wishful thinking there on your part:nopejk:p:
It's all good though, if the Rockets don't win,I always root for the Spurs to keep the O' Brien in Texas:toast

balli
09-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Utah, LA, Houston and NO all probably move ahead. The first three are better teams regardless and NO will win many more games than you while Manu's out. Maybe Dallas if Carlisle gets more out of them than Avery. I'll say 5th in the west though. Portland gets better, but they aren't as good as SA yet. The Suns will make the playoffs, but not ahead of the Spurs. Yeah, I predict 5th.

1. LA
2. Utah
3. Houston
4. NO
5. SA
6. Dallas
7. Portland
8. Phoenix

That means a rematch with New Orleans, if you're healthy, I see you winning that series, but frankly, I think you're a year older and not very likely to be healthy.

DPG21920
09-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Utah will not have the second best record in the west.

honestfool84
09-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Try to be as unbiased and logical as possible.

1. LA
2. Utah
3. Houston
4. NO
5. SA
6. Dallas
7. Portland
8. Phoenix

he said unbiasedly and logically.
the only reason you didn't put utah in front of the lakers was cause you'd then sound extremely 'homerish'.

tonylongoriafan
09-17-2008, 03:18 PM
The Spurs didn't give a shit about the regular season (completely understandable) but with that, they never really developed solid chemistry as a team. To me, that was clearly evident in the Lakers series. When Ginobili went down, it was the role players' time to step up and Barry was truly the only one who seized that opportunity. The Spurs lacked that team chemistry that the Lakers and Celtics had. That's one thing I hope I see this season is more of an effort to develop some chemistry. I think our championship hopes hinge on that factor alone (along with health).

team chemisty uh? i'm going to respectfully disagree with that one.

we lost to the lakers last year because we couldn't make a shot or grab a rebound (in that order of importance). the reason we beat new orleans is because we executed in critical moments (last 3 minutes).

i'm not buying in to the rising power of the western conference teams. at the end of the playoffs we were just as banged up as we will be to start this season and we were among the top 4 teams in the league. teams like portland, houston, dallas, denver, and golden state have much more to prove. :lobt:

here's how i see the west breaking down:

Top 3:
LA, Phoenix, San Antonio (pick an order)

4-6
New Orleans, Houston, Utah (pick an order)

7-8
Portland, Dallas (or minnesota, denver, gs)

DPG21920
09-17-2008, 03:18 PM
I mean if you think that Houston will be better along with the Hornets, how can Utah be ahead of them when both of the aforementioned teams had better records than Utah last year and the Lakers still being a consensus number 1?

td4mvp21
09-17-2008, 03:19 PM
the only reason you didn't put utah in front of the lakers was cause you'd then sound extremely 'homerish'.

:lol Yeah I read that and was going to respond but I didn't really see the point. I don't think Utah will be that good, that's all I'll say.

DPG21920
09-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I would probably have it:

LA
Houston
NO
Utah
Spurs
Mavs
Portland
?????

Which would leave a Spurs/Jazz in the first round. I hope this is the way things shake out.

balli
09-17-2008, 03:35 PM

No, I put LA ahead of UT, because LA is by far the better team.

I mean if you think that Houston will be better along with the Hornets, how can Utah be ahead of them when both of the aforementioned teams had better records than Utah last year and the Lakers still being a consensus number 1?
Houston did not have a better record than us last year and still they had a 100% fluke of a 22 game run that will not happen again. And I seem to remember Utah knocking them out of the playoffs two years in a row now. I'm not convinced Artest makes them that much better and I have them moving ahead of SA because the Spurs got worse, not because Houston got better.

NO might have had a better record than us last year, but in case you forgot, it was only like 1 game better or something. I don't know, maybe they'll have a better record again, but we're talking about one or two games out of 164 combined. Too close to bust my chops over, don't you think? Besides, UT would stomp the shit out of them if it came down to a matchup so I put UT ahead.

:lol Yeah I read that and was going to respond but I didn't really see the point. I don't think Utah will be that good, that's all I'll say.
See above.

tonylongoriafan
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm not convinced Artest makes them that much better and I have them moving ahead of SA because the Spurs got worse, not because Houston got better.

how did the spurs get worse? by not signing corey maggette? by not adding a big name role player who will max out at 10-15 minutes a game and have a minimal impact to the bottomline? not to be a smart ass, but can you explain that.

balli
09-17-2008, 03:47 PM
how did the spurs get worse? by not signing corey maggette? by not adding a big name role player who will max out at 10-15 minutes a game and have a minimal impact to the bottomline? not to be a smart ass, but can you explain that.

Sure. You're an old team that's now one year older and your 2 guard, (one of the best in the league) is going to miss several months. That makes you worse IMO. Maybe not come playoff time, (although I think your chances for injury increase with the age of your team) but if we're talking the regular season, you guys are going to take a step back.

ApolloCreed
09-17-2008, 03:48 PM
56-26

td4mvp21
09-17-2008, 03:56 PM
See above.

That still doesn't change my mind. My mind won't be changed until I see Utah do something significant in the playoffs or until I see them show themselves to be dominant in the regular season. So far over the past 2 years, they haven't shown regular season dominance and their only major accomplishment was beating the Rockets in 7 games, with the 7th game on the road. That's it.

balli
09-17-2008, 04:02 PM
That still doesn't change my mind. My mind won't be changed until I see Utah do something significant in the playoffs or until I see them show themselves to be dominant in the regular season. So far over the past 2 years, they haven't shown regular season dominance and their only major accomplishment was beating the Rockets in 7 games, with the 7th game on the road. That's it.
Okay, not to jack your thread, but by that logic, what has Houston or NO done in terms of dominance or playoff performance that makes you think they'd fare better? And don't say that 22 game streak, because we knocked them out of the playoffs. And IIRC, we were the team that broke it. God hopes, you aren't putting Phoenix, Dallas or a Manu-less Spurs ahead of us. Look, it's fine if you guys want to disagree with me about putting Utah 2, but don't call me a homer. My case is just as compelling as you could make for any other elite team, if not more so.

Anti.Hero
09-17-2008, 04:08 PM
2nd round out. Unless they meet Hornets or LA in 1st round.

Utah and HOU still have yet to prove themselves.

td4mvp21
09-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Okay, not to jack your thread, but by that logic, what has Houston or NO done in terms of dominance or playoff performance that makes you think they'd fare better? And don't say that 22 game streak, because we knocked them out of the playoffs. And IIRC, we were the team that broke it. God hopes, you aren't putting Phoenix, Dallas or a Manu-less Spurs ahead of us. Look, it's fine if you guys want to disagree with me about putting Utah 2, but don't call me a homer. My case is just as compelling as you could make for any other elite team, if not more so.

Houston has done nothing :lol I will be the first to tell you that. But they have been dominant in the regular season (part of that 22- game win streak, a large part, was not a fluke. I'd say the last 8 games were a fluke and their playoff run was a fluke as well. A

Anyway, I'm not saying the Jazz won't be good but they aren't number 2 in the conference. They are behind Lakers, Hornets, and Houston without a doubt.

td4mvp21
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Actually I probably shouldn't be so high on Houston but I'm basing that off of their big three and chemistry I saw last season. My logic is a little flawed but oh well :drunk

Fabbs
09-17-2008, 04:19 PM
5th place and a 2nd round flameout would not surprise me.
However I hold out hope that the Big 3 with help from the newbies will overcome Coatails Pop and pull off another championship.

Kome, Bymum, Gasol David West or Yao could get injured. But i'd rather see us earn the win then some injury default title.

Many PackYao
09-17-2008, 04:25 PM
No, I put LA ahead of UT, because LA is by far the better team.

Houston did not have a better record than us last year and still they had a 100% fluke of a 22 game run that will not happen again. And I seem to remember Utah knocking them out of the playoffs two years in a row now. I'm not convinced Artest makes them that much better and I have them moving ahead of SA because the Spurs got worse, not because Houston got better.

NO might have had a better record than us last year, but in case you forgot, it was only like 1 game better or something. I don't know, maybe they'll have a better record again, but we're talking about one or two games out of 164 combined. Too close to bust my chops over, don't you think? Besides, UT would stomp the shit out of them if it came down to a matchup so I put UT ahead.

See above.It's funny how you make it seem like the Jazz beat the Rockets at full strength. Not even a mention of one star player(Yao) being out and another one of our starters (Alston) out for most of the series.Also, if the streak is such a fluke then why isn't it being done more often?Not even the 95-96 Bulls or last year's Celtics can claim a longer streak.

dbreiden83080
09-17-2008, 04:27 PM
TD is still the man, if Manu and Tony are healthy and playing at an all star level consistantly come playoff time and we get somthing off the bench, TD can lead the Spurs to another title. We are in the finals last year in my opinion if not for Manu's health.

balli
09-17-2008, 04:31 PM
It's funny how you make it seem like the Jazz beat the Rockets at full strength. Not even a mention of one star player(Yao) being out and another one of our starters (Alston) out for most of the series.Also, if the streak is such a fluke then why isn't it being done more often?Not even the 95-96 Bulls or last year's Celtics can claim a longer streak.
We beat you at full strength the year before and Alston is a non-factor next to Deron. I don't care whether you're starting Alston or Brooks. And it was a fluke because of the reason you yourself gave- much, much, much better teams haven't done it.

Plus, to be honest, I think we have a harder time with Hayes/Landry than we do with Yao.

lefty
09-17-2008, 04:34 PM
If we are healthy, we'll go 82-0

No wait....

It's Bynum who said that

T Park
09-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Who did Utah add?

The Franchise
09-17-2008, 04:36 PM
It's funny how you make it seem like the Jazz beat the Rockets at full strength. Not even a mention of one star player(Yao) being out and another one of our starters (Alston) out for most of the series.Also, if the streak is such a fluke then why isn't it being done more often?Not even the 95-96 Bulls or last year's Celtics can claim a longer streak.

Don't try to get a Jazz fan to be totally unbiased when it comes to the Rockets. I understand you have to back your team no matter what. Reality will set in when we finally smother their team. To get back to the thread subject, if the Spurs can somehow hold out until Ginobili returns, I expect them to be in better shape when the playoffs roll around than last year.

Many PackYao
09-17-2008, 04:37 PM
We beat you at full strength the year before and Alston is a non-factor next to Deron. I don't care whether you're starting Alston or Brooks. And it was a fluke because of the reason you yourself gave- much, much, much better teams haven't done it.

Plus, to be honest, I think we have a harder time with Hayes/Landry than we do with Yao.Uh, it went 7 games and the difference was a few loose rebounds that the Rockets should have gotten. The Rockets had the lead in the last few minutes, but blew it when did not scramble for crucial rebounds and they left AK/Okur open for game-tying baskets.My point is it could have gone either way.

balli
09-17-2008, 04:41 PM
I understand you have to back your team no matter what. Reality will set in when we finally smother their team.
Finally, being the operative word. I'll believe it when I see it, so like you alluded to, I'm not going to start sucking the Rocket's dicks quite yet (no matter how afraid I am secretly). Good luck though- we'll see who's right come April. :toast

balli
09-17-2008, 04:42 PM
My point is it could have gone either way.
Then you should have made it in your first post, but fine. And... if it could've gone either way then why haggle with me about a win/loss/record prediction that most likely, for this year, could go either way?

Allanon
09-17-2008, 04:45 PM
If we are healthy, we'll go 82-0

No wait....

It's Bynum who said that

You're the prediction man, stop fukin' around with the Lakers and tell us about them Spurs this year.

DPG21920
09-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Houston did have a better record than the Jazz and so did NO, just like I said. Before you make a matter of fact reply, you should check your facts:

2007-2008

UTAH: 54 - 28
HOUSTON: 55 - 27
NO: 56 - 26
SPURS: 56 -26

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

Sense
09-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Assuming that the Spurs will be healthy, they should be right there with the Lakers competing for that WCC spot. The only big uncertainty for the Spurs is who will step up and be that Horry, or Barry when it counts. Mason will replace what Findley offered. Im not trying to be funny, but all of these other team are spinning their wheels. Houston added a headache to a mentally soft team, Utah stayed the same, the Blazers are young and highly overrated already, and the Hornets added Posey but gave up their best bench player in Pargo, and are still thin in the front court.

Im hoping the Spurs are healthy so we can see another classic Spurs/Lakers matchup.

Wow... Laker fan summed it up nicely... this is how I see it too..

and everyone is overrating Utah... Manu goes down.... and people keep claiming we are a year older... (since when has this been said?) and we are 5th best in the west... now I know you keep saying as far as regular season goes.. but people are ranking them skill wise.

Utah < NOH, Spurs, LA

as of now and that's how it is... Spurs should be top 3

balli
09-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Wow... Laker fan summed it up nicely... this is how I see it too..

and everyone is overrating Utah... Manu goes down.... and people keep claiming we are a year older... (since when has this been said?) and we are 5th best in the west... now I know you keep saying as far as regular season goes.. but people are ranking them skill wise.

Utah < NOH, Spurs, LA

as of now and that's how it is... Spurs should be top 3

Skill-wise nothing matters, because dude, ain't nobody knocking off LA this year. Although I'll be the first to admit a healthy Spurs team is far better equipped than Utah to win a ring. Boozer is soft and defensively worthless- soft and defensively worthless PF's don't win rings- they win regular season and first round games on the back of their stellar PG's. I just don't think it matters much though because like I said, unless LA gets hurt they're far and away better than the rest of us.

Sense
09-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Skill-wise nothing matters, because dude, ain't nobody knocking off LA this year. Although I'll be the first to admit a healthy Spurs team is far better equipped than Utah to win a ring. Boozer is soft and worthless- soft and worthless PF's don't win rings- they win regular season and first round games on the back of the PG's. I just don't think it matters much though because like I said, unless LA gets hurt they're far and away better than the rest of us.

Maybe...

but if there's a team that can do that... I'd say it be a team with experience that wants revenge :P

DPG21920
09-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Houston did have a better record than the Jazz and so did NO, just like I said. Before you make a matter of fact reply, you should check your facts:

2007-2008

UTAH: 54 - 28
HOUSTON: 55 - 27
NO: 56 - 26
SPURS: 56 -26

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

* Crickets*

balli
09-17-2008, 05:16 PM
* Crickets*

Dude, I saw you the first time. Great, you were a game better than us instead of a game worse like I thought. My bad. Now fuck off.

century
09-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I see the Spurs making it to the West finals primarily due to Pop being the best coach in the game. It truly pains me to say so but they'll be stopped there by the Lakers who have just too much fresh big money talent. This is assuming that fucking Manu will get his shit together and play like a guy who owes his team big time...

All this talk about NO is bullshit. It is a team that never was and someone will bang up Paul during the season and put him in his place - and game over for NO. Houston has got some talent but is a strangely fucked up and underperforming organization for some reason. Dallas and Phoenix are just fucked up. Period. Utah might pose a problem if they get mentally tougher in games that matter.

If anything the Spurs talent will have eroded compared to last season and now it is really just the big 3...or 2. Oh shit! This is depressing...:bang

DPG21920
09-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Dude, I saw you the first time. Great, you were a game better than us. My bad. Now fuck off.

Who is "you"? I did not play. I also do not root for the Rockets, so you have 3 strikes now, you are outtttttttttttttttttttttttt

Many PackYao
09-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Who is "you"? I did not play. I also do not root for the Rockets, so you have 3 strikes now, you are outttttttttttttttttttttttttI can't tell if he meant that for me or you!
:rollin

balli
09-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Who is "you"? I did not play. I also do not root for the Rockets, so you have 3 strikes now, you are outtttttttttttttttttttttttt

post #33 dumbass. I saw you correct me once and I ignored it because it's trivial and I don't really care. You don't have to point out my minor, minor, error in two separate posts just to get my attention. I saw you the first time. Great, Houston was a game better than us instead of a game worse like I thought. My bad. Now fuck off.

DPG21920
09-17-2008, 05:26 PM
post #33 dumbass. I saw you correct me once and I ignored it because it's trivial and I don't really care. You don't have to point out my minor, minor, error in two separate posts just to get my attention. I saw you the first time. Great, Houston was a game better than us instead of a game worse like I thought. My bad. Now fuck off.

You don't care? Then why, if it is so trivial, did you respond to my initial post trying to correct me and not only that PUT THE CORRECTION IN BOLD LETTERS?

DROB4EVER
09-17-2008, 05:30 PM
I think it depends on health and the development of Ian and Mason. If Mason and Ian can give us some real fire power say 20ppg and 8 rpg and manu comes back strong then I see use as finishing 1 or 2 in the west.

I think Pops values home court more after last seasons struggles, the west is stronger than ever and Home court will decide the west conf champ!

If Mason and Ian turn out to be bench fodder then I can see us trying to rest players which will cost us games during the season so I say if all works out I can see us winning 58 games...........If not I see 50-52 wins and 5th seed.

Many PackYao
09-17-2008, 05:31 PM
I can see the Spurs struggling a little bit with Manu's absense.But once they get him back, I bet they will reach at least the Conf. finals. to meet either the Lakers, Hornets or maybe even Houston.

Sissiborgo
09-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Spurs will show us some great new basketball from the Spurs and i am looking forward to it...:toast

td4mvp21
09-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Im hoping the Spurs are healthy so we can see another classic Spurs/Lakers matchup.

You mean where Phil outcoaches Pop and exposes the Spurs' weaknesses? :drunk

century
09-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Spurs will show us some great new basketball from the Spurs

With what? Basketball manna from heaven?

beachwood
09-17-2008, 06:07 PM
The season depends on two things:

1) How well Manu recovers from his injury. With him missing training camp, it'll take him a while to get into game shape.

2) How good Mason is from the start. It seems a Spurs tradition that newly signed FAs have a slow first year.

Unbiased, I think with a slow start from Manu when he does come back and the Spurs FA tradition, I think we'll finish 4-5 in the West... barring any injuries.

Amuseddaysleeper
09-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Out in 5 by Round 2.

Still need a lot more help outside the big 3.

HarlemHeat37
09-17-2008, 10:56 PM
it depends on our playoff seed(assuming everything goes as planned and we make it, like we should)..

I'd like to see how Bynum plays before I make a judgment on how we match vs. the Lakers..if he's in the form of his small sample size, we'd NEED another big to step up(Mahinmi) to give us any chance..not likely..

if Bynum isn't as good as he was(which is obviously possible), then we could definitely beat the Lakers if we stay HEALTHY..Roger Mason gives us a major scoring upgrade over Finley, and he's more consistent than Barry(counting injuries)..

we probably need the same fortune against the Rockets..

NO is overrated IMO..we're still better than them..Utah? I would love playing the Jazz in a series..we own them, and Williams is the only player on their team that scares me at all..

I'm gonna say we make the 2nd round if we stay healthy..we can go further if somebody unexpected steps up(Mahinmi, Hill, another player)..

ulosturedge
09-17-2008, 11:06 PM
We need Manu healthy. We need Mason to gel. We need to salvage something from our off season additions, anything..

and maybe we can steal a championship this coming season.

Other then that I think the team rankings are exactly the same as the teams exited in the last playoffs until proven otherwise.

So LA,Spurs,NoH,Utah,

then the rest...

Manufan909
09-18-2008, 02:31 AM
I'd rather the Spurs be 4th or 5th, so that they can play the Rockets/Jazz. That is one 1st round they WON'T lose. I seriously don't want to see a Phoenix matchup to start shit again, even with The Big Cactus ruining the run n' gun style.

m33p0
09-18-2008, 02:49 AM
How good do you expect the Spurs to be this year? Try to be as unbiased and logical as possible. Will Ian even play for the Spurs? Will he contribute? What about Hill? What about Mason? Can Mason be a legit factor off the bench? Will Thomas/Oberto/Ian be a good frontcourt? Will the Spurs' shooting suffer with the loss of Barry and Finley (I realize Finley is still on the team but he is too old to consistently shoot well)?
Ian will play for the Spurs out of necessity. The plan was to bring in Splitter but that has been scratched. Ian's athleticism is good to have provided it nets the Spurs a few more rebounds. That's all i ask of him - rebounding on the defensive end. If he manages to get 8 or more a game, then i'll be happy with him. As for the other stuff, hopefully someone could amply fill the void created by Brent's departure.

Personally I still think the Spurs will be good. We have the Big Three + Bowen and that is a good enough core to be a solid team in the league. However, at this point, I would say that we aren't legit contenders. I say the Spurs will be one of those teams that is definitely a threat, but in all likelyhood is just a second round PO team. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see the Spurs as being more than that at this point unless the team comes together surprisingly well. The Big 3 will be solid as usual. The question is the bench. They failed us last year.

With the latter said, that is one thing I want the Spurs to do this season. I want them to put more effort into the regular season. And I don't mean go balls to the wall and I don't mean Pop increasing minutes. I mean putting forth more effort in developing team chemistry. IMO that really hurt us last year. The Spurs didn't give a shit about the regular season (completely understandable) but with that, they never really developed solid chemistry as a team. To me, that was clearly evident in the Lakers series. When Ginobili went down, it was the role players' time to step up and Barry was truly the only one who seized that opportunity. The Spurs lacked that team chemistry that the Lakers and Celtics had. That's one thing I hope I see this season is more of an effort to develop some chemistry. I think our championship hopes hinge on that factor alone (along with health).
Because of the injuries suffered by Tim, Manu and Tony early in the season, SPAM never happened. No gelling happened putting more impetus on the Spurs' big guns to play harder just to catch up. Hopefully, the Spurs, especially the Big 3 could stay away from the injury bug. i think they'll be at #3-5 by the end of the RS.

So how does everyone else feel about the Spurs this season? I'm still excited regardless and I've found myself watching old Spurs games to fill that void until the season starts.GO SPURS GO!:flag::flag::flag:

xellos88330
09-18-2008, 03:15 AM
Well, judging from last season, the Spurs I believe without bias were the better team. They just lacked a good counter for the best player on the Lakers. I believe with the addition of Ian Mahinmi (hopefully he plays well if he makes the roster), he should be able to meet Kobe above the rim. Bruce isn't athletic enough to hang in the air with Kobe, but does a great job of making him work and disrupting his vision when elevating for a jumper. Pop would much rather have Kobe shooting than doing a layup drill.

I would have to say regarding the topic, that it is really hard to predict how the Spurs will do. There are too many question marks to give an educated guess. If their chemistry works out and the new additions to the roster are in tune with the system, I would say the Spurs have a great shot at the title. I can see them probably anywhere between 2-4.

If the new additions are terrible, then Spurs will probably be around 6-8.

The biggest importance isn't Manu. It's getting an athletic big to counter the high flyers, and Tyson Chandlers. Might make for decent rebounding too. Even with Manu not at 100%, the Spurs still ran up big leads on the Lakers.

Kai
09-18-2008, 03:30 AM
Dude, I saw you the first time. Great, you were a game better than us instead of a game worse like I thought. My bad. Now fuck off.

Your logic fails in so many ways. We add Ron Artest and technically Yao Ming and you don't think we have gotten better? Are you that biased or just an idoit?

If you actually used your brain, maybe you would have realized right away that the reason we had homecourt was because we had a better record. :rolleyes And wtf is up with you claiming you ended our 22 game win streak? That was Boston waaay before we played yall the last time.

Also, where the fuck do you get off claiming our 22 game win streak was a fluke? How the hell can winning 22 straight games be a fluke? so if we would have won 21 out of 22 games in a row, would that not be a fluke? I doubt that is that uncommon. There were plenty of close calls that we showed poise to pull out with wins. Instead of dismissing it, why not admire what your team didn't do?

Would you call it a fluke if Utah won 22 in a row?

We took you to 6 games without our best player, and without our starting pg for the first two games. We might have even gone to a game 7 if it wasn't for a BS flopaleinko call. T-Mac, Battier and Rafer were all playing with major injuries which they all received surgery for days after game 6.

Yes, you beat us (barely) fair and square the year before. Are you convinced you would have beaten us if we had Scola Landry and a much better Rafer Alston that year? I doubt it.

Again, we add Ron Artest and you don't think we've gotten better? Seriously? Seriously? What the hell have you guys done that makes you better than us? We add Yao and Artest to our series last season and you still think you would have won?

mrspurs
09-18-2008, 06:03 PM

You left out another key team to beat. NO with Josey and without Pargo got better. CP3,West,Tyson=TP,Manu,Timmy. (maybe better). But your right without #1 or #2 seed our team will go home early.

T Park
09-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Who did Utah add?

Ahem....

T Park
09-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Who did Utah add?

You left out another key team to beat. NO with Josey and without Pargo got better. CP3,West,Tyson=TP,Manu,Timmy. (maybe better). But your right without #1 or #2 seed our team will go home early.

Anyone expecting the Hornets to stay healthy with guys like West and Chandler and CP3, AGAIN, for 82 games, is foolhearty.

balli
09-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Ahem....
Nothing. But we'll have Korver for the entire year as opposed to half of it and Ronnie Brewer/Paul Millsap are not second year players anymore. We also shipped out Jason Hart who had a bad attitude and probably wasn't helping the ambiance in the locker room too much.

And like you said, NOH is injury prone and they lost Pargo. Plus, even if NO had a better record than us last year, we're hands-down the better team. We were near as good of a regular season team as SA last year. We didn't need to add anybody, if you don't think losing Ginobili puts SA behind Utah in the regular season W/L column, well that's your prerogative I guess.

A bunch of shit
Listen here you fucking bitch: You have something to say, do it with a measure of respect. You just want to go the fuck off like a pussy, whiny, little bitch and I refuse discuss shit with you. Where the fuck do you get off son? Yeah great, you added a huge, slow center with a broken foot that was played on too soon and a legitimate psycho, play breaker, who's been a cancer in every locker-room he's ever hung his jock strap in. Fuck you. Fuck the Rockets. I hope you had fun watching us while your guys were sitting at home the past two years. Get ready to do it again. Suck DEEEEEEEEEEEEZ NUTS. Fucking bitch.

DPG21920
09-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Nothing. But we'll have Korver for the entire year as opposed to half of it and Ronnie Brewer/Paul Millsap are not second year players anymore. We also shipped out Jason Hart who had a bad attitude and probably wasn't helping the ambiance in the locker room too much.

And like you said, NOH is injury prone and they lost Pargo. Plus, even if NO had a better record than us last year, we're hands-down the better team. We were near as good of a regular season team as SA last year. We didn't need to add anybody, if you don't think losing Ginobili puts SA behind Utah in the regular season W/L column, well that's your prerogative I guess.

Listen here you fucking bitch: You have something to say, do it with a measure of respect. You just want to go the fuck off like a pussy, whiny, little bitch and I refuse discuss shit with you. Where the fuck do you get off son? Yeah great, you added a huge, slow center with a broken foot that was played on too soon and a legitimate psycho, play breaker, who's been a cancer in every locker-room he's ever hung his jock strap in. Fuck you. Fuck the Rockets. I hope you had fun watching us while your guys were sitting at home the past two years. Get ready to do it again. Suck DEEEEEEEEEEEEZ NUTS. Fucking bitch.

I agree Utah did not have to add much. If Ronnie Brewer (whom I love as a player) can build on his season, that alone would help.

T Park
09-18-2008, 06:37 PM
if you don't think losing Ginobili puts SA behind Utah in the regular season W/L column, well that's your prerogative I guess

The Spurs schedule early on is pretty forgiving.

WL in the regular season doesn't mean jack shit. Playoffs is where its won, and the Jazz are still gonna be probobly the dumbest team in the playoffs.

T Park
09-18-2008, 06:37 PM
I agree Utah did not have to add much. If Ronnie Brewer (whom I love as a player) can build on his season, that alone would help.

Utah is still a paper tiger.

balli
09-18-2008, 06:57 PM
The Spurs schedule early on is pretty forgiving.

WL in the regular season doesn't mean jack shit. Playoffs is where its won, and the Jazz are still gonna be probobly the dumbest team in the playoffs.

First off, we have won more playoff series in the past two years than a whole hell of a lot of other teams have. Second, I've already said in this thread and two others that the Spurs are more of a championship contender than we are. Read first.

DPG21920
09-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Utah is still a paper tiger.

I agree with that. They have the talent, but they just cannot put it together. Sometimes Okur plays like a beast, then sometimes just so bad. Same with AK. I like the team, but they would be the team I would most like to face in the playoffs.

balli
09-18-2008, 07:20 PM
I agree with that. They have the talent, but they just cannot put it together. Sometimes Okur plays like a beast, then sometimes just so bad. Same with AK. I like the team, but they would be the team I would most like to face in the playoffs.

I've got a secret that nobody outside of Utah has figured out: The problem is Boozer.

HarlemHeat37
09-18-2008, 07:21 PM
the Jazz don't worry me at all..they're a good team, but like many Jazz fans acknowledge, we're one of THOSE teams that they can't beat..every team has certain teams that own them, and that's how we are with the Jazz..

Utah has done very well vs. New Orleans and Boston IIRC though..

that Jazz vs. Lakers series last year really disappointed me..Utah had A LOT of chances to win games, and they couldn't come through, particularly Boozer..I don't even remember him making 2 shots in a row during that series..they got screwed by the refs in 1 game, but they had plenty of chances to win the games, and they couldn't come through when it mattered..I hated Sloan playing Harpring that much though..

DPG21920
09-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I've got a secret that nobody outside of Utah has figured out: The problem is Boozer.

What are they supposed to do?

angelbelow
09-18-2008, 08:01 PM
i think were still a top 4 team. if we land some where between 5-8 i would honestly be surprised. if we dont make the playoffs at all i think it will be by design.

Allanon
09-18-2008, 08:13 PM
i think were still a top 4 team. if we land some where between 5-8 i would honestly be surprised. if we dont make the playoffs at all i think it will be by design.

Yes, I think the Spurs can make the Playoffs with their eyes closed. The question would be whether or not they think they will win the championship.

If they feel they can only compete but not contend for a championship, I would not be surprised if they tank the whole thing.

The only thing that might screw everything up is that the 2009 draft pick is already traded away, I do not know if it's lottery/high lottery protected or not. If it's not protected, you can count on the Spurs being in the Playoffs.

DPG21920
09-18-2008, 08:17 PM
It is protected.

balli
09-18-2008, 08:44 PM
What are they supposed to do?

Let him walk. Or trade him for a true defender and some cap space. The fact is Utah is on the record as to not going over the cap and thus we're not keeping AK, Boozer and the Millsap/Brewer combo. One of the three has to go. I say Booze- he's non-existent on defense and when he faces tough competition he hides like a frightened turtle on offense. Look no further than this past year's playoffs- we beat Houston with Boozer playing like shit and then Odom/Gasol literally shut him the fuck down and Deron couldn't compensate. Imagine if we ever had to face TD, Dwight Howard, KG or developed versions of Oden/Bynum. Boozer is a joke, we have no trouble scoring with or without him and defensively we'd be better off no matter who we brought in as a replacement. I don't care how, but Utah needs to get him gone.

Kai
09-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Blah blah blah I'm a dumbass
I find it really funny that dodged all questions I asked you. Fuck the Rockets? ouch, that hurts. :lol

You have yet to tell me why you can just dismiss the rockets. Open your eyes buddy. If you can only hope that Yao gets hurt again and Artest is a locker room "cancer" in a contract year, you are in for a reality check.

To be on topic, I honestly think that any team with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and even a not completely healthy Manu Ginobili coached by Greg Popovich is capable of winning a championship.

balli
09-18-2008, 10:15 PM
I find it really funny that dodged all questions I asked you.
I dodged all the questions you asked because you freaked out like a little bitch and started talking serious shit. Fuck no, I'm not going to answer your questions after that little tantrum.

If in the future you ever want to engage in a mature conversation with me, then do it and I'll respond, but don't spaz, cry and call me a bunch of names over my take on the Rockets- especially when you have 25 posts to my 1700. I don't know you, I had nothing against you and you tripped out like a fucking faggy 3 year old. As far as I'm concerned the conversation in this thread, with you, is over. Try to handle your shit better the next time you try to talk to me.
Son.

boutons_
09-18-2008, 10:32 PM
How can anybody look at Mason's stats and expect him to have any impact with the Spurs?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roger_mason/career_stats.html

Anti.Hero
09-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Dood our offense is going to be insane. Especially now that we got rid of Barry!

angelbelow
09-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Yes, I think the Spurs can make the Playoffs with their eyes closed. The question would be whether or not they think they will win the championship.

If they feel they can only compete but not contend for a championship, I would not be surprised if they tank the whole thing.

The only thing that might screw everything up is that the 2009 draft pick is already traded away, I do not know if it's lottery/high lottery protected or not. If it's not protected, you can count on the Spurs being in the Playoffs.

i agree.

dastrey
09-19-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't care what seed the Spurs have. If Ginobili is 100% come playoff time I will put my money on the Spurs everytime. People forget how good he was playing in the early part of 2008.

xlTH7ulledQ

Rummpd
09-19-2008, 09:15 AM
55 and 27, 5th or 6th in West, will play in the conference finals and if healthy will win that and the championship.