27. Billy Paultz
28. Robert McDermott
29. Stephen Jackson
30. Mark Olberding
31. Stan Albeck
32. Brent Barry
33. Mike Budenholzer

------------------------------

To pass the time until the start of preseason, let's see how SpursTalk.com ranks the Top 50 Spurs. Those eligible for the list include all players, coaches and owners. I don't want to define "top" too narrowly, but I think the best way to do it would be to think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport.

For more information on what we are doing, check out this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103061).

In this thread, we will vote for spot number 34. Please place your vote. If you will, also explain in this thread why you voted how you did.

Thanks.

P.S.

Poll options listed in alphabetical order. If you want to vote for someone not on the list, post in the thread and I'll add the person.

Voting will end 2AM CST Friday morning.

Please vote only once.

timvp
09-18-2008, 05:53 AM
Here are some profiles on some of the players that have been discussed. Let me know if you think someone should be added to the list.

Coby Dietrick
Spent six years with the Spurs, three in the ABA and three in the NBA. All told, he played 484 games for the Spurs and the San Antonio averaged 48.3 wins per year during his six-year career. Dietrick averaged 6.9 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 21.6 minutes per game. In the playoffs, he averaged 7.9 points per game and raised his field goal percentage substantially (53.6% in his Spurs playoff career compared to his regular season percentage of 46.7%).

Dale Ellis
Ellis spent two seasons with the Spurs, the 1992-93 season and the 1993-94 season. In those two seasons, the Spurs won 49 and 55 games, respectively. Ellis averaged 15.9 points and 3.6 rebounds in 33.5 minutes per game in those two season, while shooting 49.7% from the field, 39.7% from the three-point line and 78.9% from the free throw line. Ellis set the Spurs franchise record with 119 three-pointers in the 1992-93 season and then bettered it the next season with 131 makes. In his two years in the playoffs with the Spurs, his averaged fell across the board – 11.9 points on 43.6% field goal percentage and 30.6% three-point percentage.

Dave Corzine
From 1980 to 1982, Corzine played two seasons with the Spurs and never missed a game. In those 164 games, he averaged 10.3 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 25.3 minutes per game, while shooting 50.3% from the field. In his two seasons in San Antonio, the Spurs won 52 games in 1980-81 and 48 games in 1981-82. Corzine during the playoffs averaged 11.6 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 26.2 minutes per game on 47.2% shooting.

Dennis Rodman
Played for the Spurs in 1993-94 and 1994-95. The Spurs won 55 and 62 games in those two years, respectively. Rodman averaged 5.6 points and 17.1 rebounds per game in a total of 128 regular season games, while shooting 55.1% from the field. In his Spurs playoff career, he averaged 8.8 points and 15 rebounds per game on 53.3% shooting.

Gene Banks
In his four year career with the Spurs, he played 323 of a possible 328 games. During those four years, the Spurs averaged 44.8 win per season. Picked in the second round of the 1981 draft, Banks averaged 11.8 points, 6.3 rebounds and 2.8 assists, while shooting 54.4% from the field. After his career with the Spurs, spent two years with the Bulls. At 27, he went overseas and played in Italy and Israel.

Jaren Jackson
Jackson spent four seasons with the Spurs, from 1997 to 2001. In the 226 games he played, he averaged 7 points per game on 38.7% shooting from the field and 36.5% shooting from beyond the three-point line. His career peeked in the 1999 playoffs when he averaged 8.2 points and connected on 31 of the team’s 70 total made three-pointers during the championship run. In Jackson’s four seasons in San Antonio, the Spurs won an average of 57.3 games and took home the 1999 championship.

Michael Finley
Finley has played with the Spurs the last three seasons. He has averaged 9.7 points and 3 rebounds in 25.2 minutes per game, while shooting 41.2% from the field and 37.5% from downtown. He has played 241 of a possible 246 regular season games and the Spurs have averaged 59 wins per season since he arrived. In the playoffs, Finley has averaged 9.5 points and 2.8 rebounds in 26.8 minutes per game, while shooting 42.3% from the field and 39.7% from beyond the three-point arc. The Spurs won the 2007 championship with Finley as the starting shooting guard.

Mike Gale
Spent parts of six seasons in San Antonio and played 414 games with the Spurs. In those six years, the Spurs averaged 46 wins per season. Averaged 7.9 points, 4.5 assists and 1.9 steals per game, while shooting 46.7% from the field. In playoff games with the Spurs, his scoring average jumped up to 9.2 points per game but his field goal percentage dropped to 44%.

Rod Strickland
Playing parts of three seasons from 1989 to 1992, Strickland averaged 13.9 points, 8.2 assists, 4.2 rebounds and 2 steals in 36 minutes per game. In those three seasons, he played 146 regular season games and the Spurs averaged 52.7 wins per year. In the playoffs with the Spurs, he averaged 14.3 points and 10.4 assists per game.

Steve Kerr
Kerr played four complete seasons with the Spurs, from 1998 to 2001 and then came back for the 2002-03 season after spending a year in Portland. In the regular season, Kerr averaged 3.6 points and 0.9 assists per game in 12.6 minutes per game, while shooting 41.8% from the field and 39.4% from the three-point line. In the playoffs while with the Spurs, Kerr averaged 2.9 points on 41.2% shooting from the field and 35.7% shooting from beyond the three-point line. In his four seasons in San Antonio, the Spurs averaged 58.3 wins per season and won the championship in 1999 and 2003.

Swen Nater
Nater played parts of two seasons with the Spurs, from 1973 to 1975. In those two seasons, the Spurs won 45 and 51 games, respectively, while Nater was named to the ABA All-Star team both years while with the Spurs. In 140 games, Nater averaged 14.8 points, 15.2 rebounds and 1 block in 33.7 minutes per game, while shooting 54.6% from the field. In the playoffs, Nater averaged 14.9 points and 14 rebounds on 51.9% shooting.

Vinny Del Negro
In his seven years with the Spurs, San Antonio averaged 49.7 wins and Del Negro played 433 games. He averaged 11.2 points and 3.6 assists, while shooting 48.2% from the field, 36.7% from three-point land and 82.7% from the line. In his 46 career playoff games with the Spurs, his scoring average dipped to 9.5 points and his shooting fell to 45%.

----------

After the research, I think it's a no-brainer that Swen Nater should be the next off the list. He put up Dennis Rodman rebounding number plus he was able to actual score and was 2-for-2 in making the All-Star team while with the Spurs. The rest of the list combined has zero All-Star appearances while with the Spurs.

After Nater, Rod Strickland pops out at me and Gene Banks looks pretty good as well. I don't really understand the Mike Gale love and I really, really don't understand how the name Steve Kerr is even appearing in the conversation.

Finley and Del Negro, even though they have both given Spurs fans headaches, probably deserve to go within the next five or six spots. I still like Jaren Jackson but I was premature in pimping him. I knew his regular season stats were bad but not that bad :lol

Dietrick was basically Malik Rose minus the championships, which should get him on the list relatively soon. Corzine had a good two years and should go within the next ten or so.

Ellis and Rodman probably deserve to slide down the list for their implosions. Rodman's implosion being in terms of team chemistry and Ellis in terms of sucking in the playoffs.

rascal
09-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Nater is the last Spur on the list to have good enough stats to be considered for an all star game.

urunobili
09-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Egan... no Egan no defensive system for the Spurs nor the 4 rings we all enjoy...

Kona
09-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Kerr.

The Truth #6
09-18-2008, 08:14 AM
With Coach Bud voted in there seems to be little reason to try and be logical at this point, so...

Consider the stats of this Spur:

His first season with the Spurs: 17.6 ppg, .529 FG%, 5.4 rpg, 25 min/gm
Second season: 17.4 ppg, .563 FG%, 5.4 rpg, 26 min/gm
In 3 playoff games: 22 ppg, 7 rpg

I think people should reconsider Walter Berry, "The Truth" #6. Those averages are probably going to be better than any other player still on the board.

(And yes, I was pissed when they gave AJ the number 6)

xtremesteven33
09-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Gotta go with Finley.

Clutch shots, consistent starter.

he deserves no lower than 35

The Truth #6
09-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Gotta go with Finley.

Clutch shots, consistent starter.

he deserves no lower than 35

Finley? Come on. He's been along for the ride much more than he's been a consistent contributor.

He's been consistently starting and that's not a good thing. Pop loves him for some crazy reason and that's the only reason he's still here. His contract by Cuban was 'basically retarded'. And then Pop goes and gives him two more years with the second year being a player option. That's 'basically retarded' as well. The dude is the luckiest guy in the league.

He can't play defense, rebound, and for long stretches that seem like months, he can't shoot or score. But Pop and 21 like him. Maybe if I hung out with him also I'd be a bigger fan, but because I only see him on television bricking one contested jumper after another, it's hard for me to see why I should like him.

He should be on a top 10 Mavericks list without question but no way on a top 40 Spurs list. It's bad enough people caved in for Coach Bud way too early.

Vinny Del Negro, as much of a disaster as he was, was still a better contributor than Finley because at least he knew not to make as many mistakes (and that behind the back dunk on Worthy was pretty awesome.)
I hate writing that because it will probably inspire someone to get back on the Del Negro bandwagon, which is ridiculous as well.

Finley had about 2-3 out of 9 good playoff series since he's been here. Is that somehow great? Or even above average? Not to me. His regular seasons have been crap in my opinion with the exception of one big shot versus the Lakers.

Putting Finley at this spot above other Spurs who played here in their prime is a joke to me.

Like I said, this poll has devolved quickly. I wish there were more people voting to give some balance to this process.

Swen Nater, Rod Strickland, Sam Presti, Dennis Rodman were more legitimate contributors by far, even with their faults. But since this a free for all, I might as well vote for Walter Berry.

FromWayDowntown
09-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Jaren Jackson is Steve Kerr several times over. Kerr's remembered fondly for one flurry of 3's in one playoff game; JJ did that numerous times during the 1999 title run.

There's absolutely no way that Kerr should be on this list before JJ.

samikeyp
09-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Like I said, this poll has devolved quickly. I wish there were more people voting to give some balance to this process.

Agreed. The thing that hurts a poll like this is that the majority of the people who will read this haven't been Spurs fans that long and haven't seen or heard of most of the list. They are either too young to have seen those players or coaches or became Spurs fans relatively recently. I do not say that as a criticism either. Its tough to vote for someone who you have never seen or heard of.

xtremesteven33
09-18-2008, 11:13 AM
wether you like it or not Finley won a ring and was a contributor.

clutch shots, consistent starting position that he held down not really good but did hold it down.

he had his moments of greatness but overall he wasnt that impressive, but i still think he deserves a spot at least top 40.

50 cent
09-18-2008, 11:56 AM
I take Kerr over Jackson simply because the playoff run that he hit the 3s in was much tougher than the playoff run that Jackson hit the 3s for.

FromWayDowntown
09-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I take Kerr over Jackson simply because the playoff run that he hit the 3s in was much tougher than the playoff run that Jackson hit the 3s for.

The playoff run in 1999 was much easier because of Jackson's triples.

And it's not like JJ just had one game in which he killed a team with 3's; he did what Kerr did, only he did it several different times -- almost all of them on the road and almost all of them in put away games.

Dex
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
After timvp's little rundown, I had to go with Nater.

angel_luv
09-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Who is Nater and why is he beating Sho in the polls????

angel_luv
09-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Swen Nater
Nater played parts of two seasons with the Spurs, from 1973 to 1975. In those two seasons, the Spurs won 45 and 51 games, respectively, while Nater was named to the ABA All-Star team both years while with the Spurs. In 140 games, Nater averaged 14.8 points, 15.2 rebounds and 1 block in 33.7 minutes per game, while shooting 54.6% from the field. In the playoffs, Nater averaged 14.9 points and 14 rebounds on 51.9% shooting.

n/m

I stand by my vote though.

rAm
09-18-2008, 12:21 PM

get over it

angel_luv
09-18-2008, 12:23 PM
get over it

You're not the boss of me. :lol

baseline bum
09-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Agreed. The thing that hurts a poll like this is that the majority of the people who will read this haven't been Spurs fans that long and haven't seen or heard of most of the list. They are either too young to have seen those players or coaches or became Spurs fans relatively recently. I do not say that as a criticism either. Its tough to vote for someone who you have never seen or heard of.

On the flipside, you have people who never saw how worthless Vinny Del Negro was for this team who can only look at the stats and think he was a decent player.

The Truth #6
09-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Well at least JJ earned that second contract whereas Finley did not by any stretch. I could see JJ over Finley for that reason, among others.

I didn't want to bring up Vinny Del Negro to legitimate his stats because he clearly did not deliver. However, I do think he should get in before Finley for whatever it's worth, which, I admit, is not much.

If we were to go by star power it would be Rodman but his baggage I realize is going to turn everyone off, but I do think he is top 40. Strickland and Swen played all star level while they were here.

Egan or Presti should be the next non players that get in.

Voting for the lesser of two evils sucks, and if given the choice I would have voted for Swen so that bum Rasho doesn't get anywhere near the top 50. I'm sure he was worse than Caddilac, Duckworth, and even Brickowski.

Screw it - Walter Berry. 17.4ppg with 56.3 FG% in less than 26 mpg. Who else on the list came close to that?

Drom John
09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Nater, second best center in college the year he graduated, and he was a bench player.

Spurs Brazil
09-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Jaren Jackson is Steve Kerr several times over. Kerr's remembered fondly for one flurry of 3's in one playoff game; JJ did that numerous times during the 1999 title run.

There's absolutely no way that Kerr should be on this list before JJ.

Agree,

JJ hit a lot of big shots in 99 run.

And Kerr was playing so bad that JJ was the one who bring the ball when AJ was sitting and Kerr was playing.

manufor3
09-18-2008, 03:22 PM
nater easy

my2sons
09-18-2008, 03:28 PM
just to add, swen nater was good enough to be traded for Larry Kenon. Nater was just a monster.

samikeyp
09-18-2008, 04:08 PM
On the flipside, you have people who never saw how worthless Vinny Del Negro was for this team who can only look at the stats and think he was a decent player.

Ahh...very true. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I honestly think EJ needs to enter consideration after spot 40 or so.

Chuck person, you could argue, needs to be considered alongside the current group. His '95-'96 playoffs were awesome...53% from the floor and 53% from the three point line. The Rifleman hit 190 threes during the '95-'96 regular season at a 41% clip from the floor. Not too shabby.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-18-2008, 04:23 PM

A better question would be why is Rasho in the polls at all.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Jaren then Nater.

Obstructed_View
09-18-2008, 11:25 PM

There are also people who lived in San Antonio when he played for the team and watched every game and think he was a decent player.

Admiral
09-19-2008, 12:24 AM
I voted for Edgar Jones. :smokin