PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will win the championship in '09

zocool16
09-18-2008, 12:06 PM
That's what I'm going to write as an opinion newspaper article.

Reading some of the posts, I feel alone on that feeling, though. Am I?

Don't get me wrong. I see what everyone means. I see it too. Manu's out and Tony and Duncan aren't enough to make us a top contender for now.

However, I feel that as tough as the West is, the Spurs are one of the top teams still. The Hornets scared the beejezus out of us, the Lakers beat us, the Rockets just got better and the Suns haven't gone away. Portland anyone?

The Spurs will still (croos my fingers) have Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, some new intangibles and a hell of a coach come playoff time. I think the Spurs have as much chance as anyone given that, in my opinion, the West is a bunch of monsters. One monster has to come out of the West, why not the Spurs? They've done it before when no one thought they would (See: 2003 and 2007).

So no one thinks we'll win it. We're too old. What's new? It's an odd year and I sincerely believe the Spurs have at least one more in them. Duncan hasn't had hops since 1997, but he's still as fundamentally-sound as anyone. Parker is young and he just got better. Assuming Ginobili won't be hobbled when it matters most, he'll still tear it up and be our go-to-guy when the game boils down to the last play.

Oh yeah, and hopefully we also get past the East.

Share your thoughts, please. Am I crazy to write this?

Sense
09-18-2008, 12:12 PM
You are...

season hasn't started yet

zocool16
09-18-2008, 12:14 PM
You are...

season hasn't started yet

yea just FYI its for a season preview in late October

duncan228
09-18-2008, 12:28 PM
I sincerely believe the Spurs have at least one more in them.

So do I. And I don't think you're crazy. It would be crazy to under-estimate a healthy Duncan with any kind of decent team around him. At the moment you're going to be writing this I think it's a reasonable call. Barring any injuries the Spurs have as good a chance as any of the top West teams.

lefty
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Of course we'll win the 2009 title

Every 2 years is the rule

IronMexican
09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Dope avatar, Zoocool. Chapulin Colorado:toast

Sense
09-18-2008, 01:03 PM
yea just FYI its for a season preview in late October

Ok... so why would you be crazy? Everyone has an opinion... you shouldn't ask people if it's stupid to post your opinion, that's what columnists do.

balli
09-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I'd say you're the western team that's best equipped to do it... except for the Lakers who if healthy, are going to the finals again. IMO, they're about a 97.24% lock, but if not them, the Spurs are probably next best in terms of championship contender status.

Solid D
09-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Waaaay too early to spout predictions. You gotta see 'em play together first. Don't forget the injury factor, too.

Boston and Detroit both had better records than any Western Conference team last year. The West was a blood-bath, with teams knocking each other off every night. It should more of the same again this season. All 8 WC playoff teams had 50 wins or more. Golden State didn't even get in and they would have been a 4th seed in the East, with their 48 wins. That is sick.

Who can predict right now?

koriwhat
09-18-2008, 01:41 PM
any team that sports tim duncan down low has a chance of taking it all. add tony, manu, and bowen to that equation and we are definitely still tops in the league. i wanna see what mason is gonna bring to the table and if he brings his A-game i think we have a hell of a shot at taking the o'brien back.

i'm a little bias though because even when i was a kid and i knew damn well that portland was gonna whoop our asses once again in the playoffs i still felt the spurs had a chance to take it all. i've never think the spurs are gonna do bad so GO SPURS GO!

Galileo
09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
That's what I'm going to write as an opinion newspaper article.

Reading some of the posts, I feel alone on that feeling, though. Am I?

Don't get me wrong. I see what everyone means. I see it too. Manu's out and Tony and Duncan aren't enough to make us a top contender for now.

However, I feel that as tough as the West is, the Spurs are one of the top teams still. The Hornets scared the beejezus out of us, the Lakers beat us, the Rockets just got better and the Suns haven't gone away. Portland anyone?

The Spurs will still (croos my fingers) have Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, some new intangibles and a hell of a coach come playoff time. I think the Spurs have as much chance as anyone given that, in my opinion, the West is a bunch of monsters. One monster has to come out of the West, why not the Spurs? They've done it before when no one thought they would (See: 2003 and 2007).

So no one thinks we'll win it. We're too old. What's new? It's an odd year and I sincerely believe the Spurs have at least one more in them. Duncan hasn't had hops since 1997, but he's still as fundamentally-sound as anyone. Parker is young and he just got better. Assuming Ginobili won't be hobbled when it matters most, he'll still tear it up and be our go-to-guy when the game boils down to the last play.

Oh yeah, and hopefully we also get past the East.

Share your thoughts, please. Am I crazy to write this?

The Spurs are the best team in the West.

1) They got screwed by Stern & the refs, otherwise they would have beat the Lakers.

2) They have the best player in the NBA, Tim Duncan, who is healty and worjing on new post moves for 2008/2009.

3) Manu's injury doesn't matter, the playoffs are a long way off.

4) Parker is in his prime.

5) The Spurs always win the NBA title in odd numbered years.

6) The Spurs are coming off their BEST ever season in an even numbered year. They have never won a Conference final game before in an even numbered year.

7) The Spurs have won 25 playoff games over the past two seasons, their best two-year strech ever. They only lost 12 games over the same span.

8) Duncan is coming off a playoff triple-double, VERY RARE for post men.

9) Duncan is coming off 10 straight 13+ rebound playoff games, VERY RARE.

10) Duncan is coming off 9 straight 14+ rebound playoff games, VERY RARE.

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 01:59 PM
we're were getting 8-1 odds in vegas when i laid down my money...that's third best...the people in vegas know that they're talking about when it comes to things like this

Viva LOS LAKERS!
09-18-2008, 02:10 PM
:lobt2:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk265/tai_505/kbpoppin.jpg

balli
09-18-2008, 02:24 PM
The Spurs are the best team in the Wesy.

1) They got screwed by Stern & the refs, otherwise they would have beat the Lakers.

Please... The Lakers stomped you fair and square in 5 short games. In the first 4 games Kobe shot 6 measly free throws. Overall, the Spurs shot 94 free throws, compared to 92 for the Lakers. There was one obviously bad call with the Fisher/Barry thing, which in hindsight wasn't that bad of a non-call, as it's been well documented that Barry traveled first. Needless, I don't think you want to go down the road of blaming one non-call for the outcome of a 5 game series. Support your team for this year, give some good reasons as to why, but quit bitching about the refs solely because you're too pompous to admit that the Lakers fucked you up last year. You lose all credibility when you can't admit, that believe it or not, somebody was actually better than San Antonio.

koriwhat
09-18-2008, 02:33 PM
we couldn't buy a bucket in that lakers series.... that's the truth of it all. oh well '09 season is approaching!

Viva LOS LAKERS!
09-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Please... The Lakers stomped you fair and square in 5 short games. In the first 4 games Kobe shot 6 measly free throws. Overall, the Spurs shot 94 free throws, compared to 92 for the Lakers. There was one obviously bad call with the Fisher/Barry thing, which in hindsight wasn't that bad of a non-call, as it's been well documented that Barry traveled first. Needless, I don't think you want to go down the road of blaming one non-call for the outcome of a 5 game series. Support your team for this year, give some good reasons as to why, but quit bitching about the refs solely because you're too pompous to admit that the Lakers fucked you up last year. You lose all credibility when you can't admit, that believe it or not, somebody was actually better than San Antonio.

:toast

Galileo
09-18-2008, 04:44 PM

The rigged scheduling did the Spurs in. Kobe is on the decline, he's lost a step.

zocool16
09-18-2008, 04:48 PM
it just sucks that everytime we lose in the playoffs there's a 'WHAT IF' factor. i realize that that happens quite often (just like the Suns in 06, what if Amare wasnt a dumbass and walked beyond that line) but its been like that for 3 straight non-championship years for us. what if dererk fisher, what if manu doesnt fould dirk, what if manu's healthy. The lakers were very good but it just didnt feel like they should have won 4-1. 4-1? Unbiasedly we can all say that the Lakers were not 4-1 better than the Spurs last season. This season? We'll see. i'm gonna pick the Spurs to win it all and piss off some Laker fans here since I live in L.A.

balli
09-18-2008, 04:53 PM
The rigged scheduling did the Spurs in.

:wakeup :rolleyes :wakeup :rolleyes :wakeup :rolleyes

Galileo
09-18-2008, 05:01 PM
it just sucks that everytime we lose in the playoffs there's a 'WHAT IF' factor. i realize that that happens quite often (just like the Suns in 06, what if Amare wasnt a dumbass and walked beyond that line) but its been like that for 3 straight non-championship years for us. what if dererk fisher, what if manu doesnt fould dirk, what if manu's healthy. The lakers were very good but it just didnt feel like they should have won 4-1. 4-1? Unbiasedly we can all say that the Lakers were not 4-1 better than the Spurs last season. This season? We'll see. i'm gonna pick the Spurs to win it all and piss off some Laker fans here since I live in L.A.

You are dead on.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2008.html

If you look at the chart above, you'll see the Spurs beat a team with 55 wins (Phoenix) 4 -1, then beat a team with 56 wins ON THE ROAD.

The Lakers beat Denver (50 wins) and Utah (54 wins), both at HOME.

The Lakers had the home court against the Spurs as well, because of one measly game.

The Lakers aren't better than the Spurs.

Sissiborgo
09-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Some one living in heaven?...:rolleyes

mrspurs
09-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Not with this current roster we arent. I dont like saying it either. But, we just dont have the talent to keep up with the rest. And as for Pop being the best. Last season he was so full of crap. He and the FO basically shut down our hopes of maybe 1 more with Timmy and Co. All those stupid trades during the season. And the only way he could pull out wins was by hacking poor free-throw shooters. He had to disrupt teams by sending in Big Hit Rob. And this offseason I havnt seen anything to stop other teams from turning Pop into a quitter like he did alot of PO games....A quitter? Unheard of as a Spur. Blowing 20 point leads has finally caught up. Hope we do hit the lottery, cos this FA mickey mouse stuff isnt working with the Older big 2 anymore. TP really could use someone to play with.

Galileo
09-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Not with this current roster we arent. I dont like saying it either. But, we just dont have the talent to keep up with the rest. And as for Pop being the best. Last season he was so full of crap. He and the FO basically shut down our hopes of maybe 1 more with Timmy and Co. All those stupid trades during the season. And the only way he could pull out wins was by hacking poor free-throw shooters. He had to disrupt teams by sending in Big Hit Rob. And this offseason I havnt seen anything to stop other teams from turning Pop into a quitter like he did alot of PO games....A quitter? Unheard of as a Spur. Blowing 20 point leads has finally caught up. Hope we do hit the lottery, cos this FA mickey mouse stuff isnt working with the Older big 2 anymore. TP really could use someone to play with.

If we can beat NO on the road with Duncan sick two games and Ginobili injured, we would be favored to beat anybody.

NO is the 2nd best team in the West, NOT LA. Kobe is getting old.

Allanon
09-18-2008, 07:06 PM
NO is the 2nd best team in the West, NOT LA. Kobe is getting old.

The Spurs have been the oldest team in the NBA for quite some time now and people have been repeatedly burned for counting them out because they're too old.

http://badpussy.org/uploads/files/q2m5xb47kbbdtzr35vdy.jpg

Roxsfan
09-18-2008, 11:31 PM
way too early to tell..............