PDA

View Full Version : Hoping the Silver Stars Lose?

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Am I the only one who thinks what a joke it would be to hang a silver stars banner next to the 4 the Spurs have in the AT&T Ctr?

thoughts, comments, conerns...

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 02:31 PM
This thread is a joke.

baseline bum
09-18-2008, 02:31 PM
That's a trivial thing to root for a team to lose for.

KenMcCoy
09-18-2008, 02:32 PM
What are they playing in?

koriwhat
09-18-2008, 02:34 PM
i don't root for the stars to loose... then again i don't root for the stars to win. the wnba is a joke!

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 02:38 PM
i don't root for the stars to loose... then again i don't root for the stars to win. the wnba is a joke!

that's exactly what i'm saying...it doesn't even matter. yet if they do win, will they put a pink banner up next to the 4 spurs banners? not even close in stature and importance.

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 02:39 PM
So you root against the Rampage too?

angel_luv
09-18-2008, 02:40 PM
I hope the Stars win this year and continuously in the seasons to come.

The only banners I don't care for in the arena are the Rodeo ones and Avery's jersey.

xtremesteven33
09-18-2008, 02:44 PM
the WNBA playoffs should be pretty sweet.

i wanna see San Antonio get some form of revenge on LA.

Sparks vs Silver Starts

koriwhat
09-18-2008, 02:44 PM

The only banners I don't care for in the arena are the Rodeo ones and Avery's jersey.

for real! why is the rodeo held in the at&t center to begin with? don't we have the alamodome for shit like that? and hey why were at it maybe we should rehang avery's jersey in the alamodome too and burn that fucker down!

phyzik
09-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I think its OK to hang them, just put them on the opposite side of the stadium or something.... not right next to the Spurs banners.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-18-2008, 02:45 PM
for real! why is the rodeo held in the at&t center to begin with? don't we have the alamodome for shit like that?

Probably because the SA Stock Show & Rodeo helped save the Spurs from leaving by helping to secure the then-SBC Center.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-18-2008, 02:47 PM
And honestly, if that's your problem (a Silver Stars banner next to a Spurs banner)... get out more.

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 02:50 PM

i'm not talking they lose literally...i just don't want the at&t ctr to become the home of the 4-time nba champions and 1-time wbna champions. its stupid. the nba tries to make it out like the wbna is a good product but it's not. that why they play in half-empty arenas.

the rampage are different, well, just because.

duncan228
09-18-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't get why anonther San Antonio Championship banner should be a problem. Even if you're not a WNBA fan, Championships are a good thing.

ChumpDumper
i'm not talking they lose literally...i just don't want the at&t ctr to become the home of the 4-time nba champions and 1-time wbna champions. its stupid. the nba tries to make it out like the wbna is a good product but it's not. that why they play in half-empty arenas.

the rampage are different, well, just because.This is a stupid thread, well, just because.

tonylongoriafan
And honestly, if that's your problem (a Silver Stars banner next to a Spurs banner)... get out more.

why do they even play there? because they're part of spurs sports and entertainment? they should be playing at a much smaller high school or college arena/gym :lmao:lmao:lmao

Kori Ellis
09-18-2008, 03:01 PM
:lol @ people complaining about the rodeo or rodeo banners.

No Rodeo=No AT&T Center=No San Antonio Spurs

Oh and why would the Silver Stars banner be pink?

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 03:02 PM
The Stars average about 3300 more spectators per game than the Rampage.

Just because.

I count the WNBA as another minor league. One can take it or leave it, but there's no reason to be outright hostile about it.

DPG21920
09-18-2008, 03:02 PM
You should definitely root for the Silver Stars. They are part of the organization. I am not in love with it, but some of the games are good.

xtremesteven33
09-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Becky Hammon is worth the price of admission in itself.

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 03:06 PM
This is a stupid thread, well, just because.

c'mon, the rampage are hockey and they are marketed as a novelty. ice floors in south texas, that's pretty cool. it's different, i've been to games and i like them. but the wbna is marketed as quality basketball...'nuff said.

T Park
09-18-2008, 03:09 PM
for real! why is the rodeo held in the at&t center to begin with? don't we have the alamodome for shit like that? and hey why were at it maybe we should rehang avery's jersey in the alamodome too and burn that fucker down!

Without the rodeo, there is no ATT Center, and there is no more SA spurs dumbass.

The rodeo is a non profit charitable event that benefits students in scholarships that numbers in the millions of dollars.

T Park
09-18-2008, 03:09 PM

the rampage are different, well, just because.

So your just a sexist then. I see.

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 03:10 PM
c'mon, the rampage are hockey and they are marketed as a novelty. ice floors in south texas, that's pretty cool. it's different, i've been to games and i like them. but the wbna is marketed as quality basketball...'nuff said.c'mon, more people on average watch the Stars out of the traditional basketball season...'nuff said.

Just because these women are better ball players than you, it's no reason for this vendetta.

DPG21920
09-18-2008, 03:11 PM
There is no reason to be concerned about the banners. If one part of Spurs Sports & Entertainment wins, the whole franchise does better. It is good for the city, good for the fans, and really good for the company. Which means more fun in the future!

DPG21920
09-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Chump, good to see you again!

T Park
09-18-2008, 03:12 PM

While I dispute the SA Rodeo winning the award for best large indoor rodeo, there is no question those banners should hang.

Solid D
09-18-2008, 03:15 PM
I actually think the Silver Stars are enjoyable to watch, but hey...I love basketball. They play a good style of ball. I grew up appreciating both men's and women's sports and they each have their markets professionally.

Many of you guys who say the wnba product stinks would probably be all geared up to watch the Silver Stars if they all dressed and looked like Anna Kournikova or hugged each other after a good basket like Misty May-Treanor and Kerry Walsh. You couldn't wait for the next lay-up at the buzzer so that you could watch them roll around on the floor.

I won't mind one bit seeing another championship banner hanging in the rafters at the AT&T Center. I probably won't go to meet the ladies at the airport but that's not a normal practice of mine, anyways.

More San Antonian's should take a personal interest in their local teams. I love Ice Hockey and I should support the Rampage more but I've been to a couple of their games. I liked the Iguanas at the "Joe and Harry" even more...probably went to a dozen games there. I saw 11 fights in one Iguanas' game. I still dial in and listen to some of the Rampage games on the radio if I'm out running errands, and stuff...that is... if the Spurs or Dallas Stars aren't playing.

I hope the Silver Stars win. They have a great team this year and I'm proud of them.

bigdog
09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
This thread is horrible. There is no way that a WNBA championship banner would be bad hanging next to 4 NBA championship banners, especially in SA. Even if you're not a fan of the Silver Stars or the WNBA, it would be great for the city, because the sports media see San Antonio as a weak sports city because all we have is the Spurs.

As for the Rodeo, without it, like others mentioned, there would be no AT&T Center. The Rodeo is for a good cause, and those banners should be hung in the rafters, and yes, even Avery's. I've hated him after he left the Spurs, but loved him while he was here.

This whole thread is just a sexist idea that women's sports is not as good as men's. This isn't a matter of "stature and importance", as you put it. It's about a professional sports franchise winning. I doubt you could beat half of the WNBA players in a 1on1 game. Also, why in the world would they raise a pink banner? This whole idea of a Silver Stars championship being a "joke" is just stupid.

The bottom line is that the Silver Stars have a very good team this year, as they have the past few years, and even though I don't live in San Antoino and can't make it to any games, I enjoy watching them, even if it is woman's basketball. I'm pulling for them to win it all this year.

The end.

T Park
09-18-2008, 03:19 PM
I actually think the Silver Stars are enjoyable to watch, but hey...I love basketball. They play a good style of ball. I grew up appreciating both men's and women's sports and they each have their markets professionally.

Many of you guys who say the wnba product stinks would probably be all geared up to watch the Silver Stars if they all dressed and looked like Anna Kournikova or hugged each other after a good basket like Misty May-Treanor and Kerry Walsh. You couldn't wait for the next lay-up at the buzzer so that you could watch them roll around on the floor.

I won't mind one bit seeing another championship banner hanging in the rafters at the AT&T Center. I probably won't go to meet the ladies at the airport but that's not a normal practice of mine, anyways.

More San Antonian's should take a personal interest in their local teams. I love Ice Hockey and I should support the Rampage more but I've been to a couple of their games. I liked the Iguanas at the "Joe and Harry" even more...probably went to a dozen games there. I saw 11 fights in one Iguanas' game. I still dial in and listen to some of the Rampage games on the radio if I'm out running errands, and stuff...that is... if the Spurs or Dallas Stars aren't playing.

I hope the Silver Stars win. They have a great team this year and I'm proud of them.

As always, well thought out, and very intelligent.

Solid D is one of the best :tu

my2sons
09-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Am I the only one who thinks what a joke it would be to hang a silver stars banner next to the 4 the Spurs have in the AT&T Ctr?

Yes, yes you are

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-18-2008, 03:28 PM
I root against them but only because Becky Hammon is the biggest Commie sympathizer since Jane Fonda.

my2sons
09-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Really when did gorbachav rebuild that wall

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I root against them but only because Becky Hammon is the biggest Commie sympathizer since Jane Fonda.1991 forum.

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 03:33 PM

First off, I question any "official" attendance numbers. Secondly, style of basketball? It's different than the men's game. They use a smaller ball, have different court dimensions, and a majority of the players are not as fast or strong as in the men's game.

My point is that I don't want them to lose literally. I guess I would like them to do well in the playoffs but it doesn't really matter. They will still struggle with attendance and fan interest. I'm not racist, sexist, or any type of other biggit and I agree that there is some type of market for the wbna, but to be vaulted onto the same quasi-level of the Spurs is not right. Maybe nobody means it literally but there will be those comparisons if they win. Can you imagine the call if they win "the spurs have won 4, now the silver stars have one of their own"

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-18-2008, 03:35 PM
1991 forum.

Hey, if you want to cheer for the Silver Sickles and Hammers go right ahead.

T Park
09-18-2008, 03:36 PM
:lol

SFIE's comedy is golden

koriwhat
09-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Without the rodeo, there is no ATT Center, and there is no more SA spurs dumbass.

am i a dumbass cause i had no clue that the rodeo was part of the whole at&t center build? no. i actually thought it was our tax dollars that paid for that building, maybe i'm wrong but i think our taxes payed for most of it. i don't know.

call me a dumbass all you want you fat fuck. bitch please!

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 03:38 PM
First off, I question any "official" attendance numbers.So go count them yourself Saturday.
but to be vaulted onto the same quasi-level of the Spurs is not rightThat is only happeneing in your mind.
Maybe nobody means it literally but there will be those comparisons if they win. Can you imagine the call if they win "the spurs have won 4, now the silver stars have one of their own"They are a San Antonio professional sports team owned by Spurs Sports and Entertainment. I can certainly imagine it, and I still don't see why you are being a bitch about it.

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 03:40 PM
am i a dumbass cause i had no clue that the rodeo was part of the whole at&t center build? no. i actually thought it was our tax dollars that paid for that building, maybe i'm wrong but i think our taxes payed for most of it. i don't know.There's no maybe about it, unless we all rented cars and hotel rooms.

TwAnKiEs
09-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Hang one up Stars! The only one I cant stand to see are Lakers banners :toast

koriwhat
09-18-2008, 03:43 PM
This whole thread is just a sexist idea that women's sports is not as good as men's.

if it's the truth is it really sexist? i don't think so... the wnba is a joke! and yes i admit plenty of those chicks, possibly all of them in the wnba, can beat me 1 on 1 but the truth of the matter is the wnba is an ugly game of basketball.

koriwhat
09-18-2008, 03:45 PM
There's no maybe about it, unless we all rented cars and hotel rooms.

that was the only other way money was coming in to build the at&t center? wow. just rentals and rooms? crazy. the alamodome was taxes right? i just assumed the at&t center went the same route to collect.

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 03:50 PM
This thread is horrible. There is no way that a WNBA championship banner would be bad hanging next to 4 NBA championship banners, especially in SA. Even if you're not a fan of the Silver Stars or the WNBA, it would be great for the city, because the sports media see San Antonio as a weak sports city because all we have is the Spurs.

This whole thread is just a sexist idea that women's sports is not as good as men's. This isn't a matter of "stature and importance", as you put it. It's about a professional sports franchise winning. I doubt you could beat half of the WNBA players in a 1on1 game. Also, why in the world would they raise a pink banner? This whole idea of a Silver Stars championship being a "joke" is just stupid.

First off, the silver star's winning a wbna championship will do nothing to change the national media's perception of San Antonio being a weak sports city.

As far as the women vs. men, there are very athletic women who play many different sports in many different fashions across the nation. Yet, why is the wbna the only one that very closely aligns itself with a men's association? It's not that women's sports are not as good, it's that they are different. That's not being sexist, that's a fact. Salaries, attendance, tv contracts, endorsement deals, apparel availabilty, etc...it's not even close :nope

bdictjames
09-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Hillary Clinton and Sarah Palin do not approve of this thread.

T Park
09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
am i a dumbass cause i had no clue that the rodeo was part of the whole at&t center build? no. i actually thought it was our tax dollars that paid for that building, maybe i'm wrong but i think our taxes payed for most of it. i don't know.

call me a dumbass all you want you fat fuck. bitch please!

Hotel Motel tax helped build it.

The Rodeo going along with it, and helping build it, got it done.

Do some research genius.

BTW, not fat anymore, so find a new childish insult.

T Park
09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
that was the only other way money was coming in to build the at&t center? wow. just rentals and rooms? crazy. the alamodome was taxes right? i just assumed the at&t center went the same route to collect.

Hotel motel rental car paid for it all.

The alamodome was paid for with a quarter of a cent sales tax, that ended after the alamodome was paid off.

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 04:00 PM
First off, the silver star's winning a wbna championship will do nothing to change the national media's perception of San Antonio being a weak sports city.Neither would a Missions or Rampage win.

As far as the women vs. men, there are very athletic women who play many different sports in many different fashions across the nation. Yet, why is the wbna the only one that very closely aligns itself with a men's association? That doesn't even make any sense. The WNBA is owned by the NBA.

It's not that women's sports are not as good, it's that they are different. That's not being sexist, that's a fact. Salaries, attendance, tv contracts, endorsement deals, apparel availabilty, etc...it's not even close :nopeAgain, what is your point? The NBA is more popular than the WBA?

Bold.

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 04:10 PM
my point is the silver stars are not as good as the spurs, the wbna is not even close to being as good as the nba, and the only reason we're talking about any of this is because the nba is carrying the wbna on its back. when i say closely align, that's what i mean. teams in the same cities, cross promotion tv ads, similars team colors/logos, etc. no other form of entertainment would last with this weak support, that's all i'm saying.

koriwhat
09-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Hotel Motel Holiday Inn tax helped build it.

The Rodeo going along with it, and helping build it, got it done.

Do some research genius.

BTW, not fat anymore, so find a new childish insult.

i don't wanna do any research... i really could care less who/what paid for the at&t center.

as far as you not being fat anymore... whatever. i'm still gonna call you a fat fuck you piece of shit. childish or not, you insult me and you get the shit thrown back in your face. deal with it genius.

koriwhat
09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
there's better ballin' going on in middle school boys jv basketball. like i said before, the wnba is a huge ass joke!

shit i'd rather watch a kids game at the Y then the wnba. atleast there you know they aren't getting paid to miss layups, shots, turnover the ball billions of times, run up and down clueless, and not even dunk.

Kori Ellis
09-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Yet, why is the wbna the only one that very closely aligns itself with a men's association?

Because the NBA owns the WNBA.

I really don't get your argument in this thread. The Silver Stars winning a title won't tarnish anything the Spurs have done. No one thinks that WNBA teams can beat NBA teams or anything.

Personally, I prefer NBA basketball because of the pace and athleticism, but that doesn't mean the WNBA is crap. It just means it's different. No one is saying they're the same.

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 04:26 PM
my point is the silver stars are not as good as the spurs, the wbna is not even close to being as good as the nba, and the only reason we're talking about any of this is because the nba is carrying the wbna on its back.And why are they doing that? Why did they start the league in the first place?
and when i say closely align, that's what i mean. teams in the same cities, cross promotion tv ads, similars team colors/logos, etc.Again.

The WNBA is owned by the NBA.

How stupid would it be for the NBA to start the WNBA and NOT capitalize on that relationship with cross promotion?

Almost as stupid as this thread.

I am not as familiar with the WNBA finances as D-League or NBA, but the sponsorship and reported attendance levels make it look as sustainable as any minor league these days. It is interesting to see the evolution of the sport as some of the teams stand on their own (Connecticut, Seattle) or in some cases slowly move away from their NBA counterpart (Houston). There is no one model for franchise ownership in the WNBA, just like the D-League, so when you try to make blanket statements about all the teams you are just talking out of your ass.

shelshor
09-18-2008, 04:42 PM

Only on the nights when they insist on playing hockey's equivalent of touch football

I want the Silver Stars to win the damn title and for their banners to be the same size as the Spurs'

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Almost as stupid as this thread.

I am not as familiar with the WNBA finances as D-League or NBA, but the sponsorship and reported attendance levels make it look as sustainable as any minor league these days. It is interesting to see the evolution of the sport as some of the teams stand on their own (Connecticut, Seattle) or in some cases slowly move away from their NBA counterpart (Houston). There is no one model for franchise ownership in the WNBA, just like the D-League, so when you try to make blanket statements about all the teams you are just talking out of your ass.

my blanket statements about the majority of the teams in the wbna are true, as are the specific exceptions you pointed out above. i'm no wbna expert either. i just wanted to see what everyone thinks...so stop posting if it so stupid

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 04:58 PM
my blanket statements about the majority of the teams in the wbna are true, as are there are specific exceptions you pointed out. i'm no wbna expert either. i just wanted to see what everyone thinks...so stop posting if it so stupidWe pretty much think your argument is stupid.

Look, the WNBA is a business venture, like any other.Overall, it's currently a money loser and teams are changing to reduce the costs -- but it's not much different from other perennial money-losers that keep chugging along like the Knicks. Once you get to this level of money being thrown around, lots of factors enter into the picture other than the yearly bottom line.

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 05:08 PM
We pretty much think your argument is stupid.

Look, the WNBA is a business venture, like any other.Overall, it's currently a money loser and teams are changing to reduce the costs -- but it's not much different from other perennial money-losers that keep chugging along like the Knicks. Once you get to this level of money being thrown around, lots of factors enter into the picture other than the yearly bottom line.

point taken. but what i'm really arguing is that a wnba championship banner will look kinda strange up there because it doesn't belong, no matter what the business venture/structure is of a parent company and subsidiary.

but i guess that's how it goes :downspin::downspin::downspin: i think i remember seeing the wnba banners in the staples center and toyota center.

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 05:17 PM
thanks for espn 1250 the zone for picking up on my topic...i'm telling you, this is up for discussion

soonerspursfan
09-18-2008, 05:19 PM
How can you say the wnba is a joke? Let me see you go against young or hammond. I hope they win a championship. Why would the banner be pink? I think it would be silver and black. Think about it, it would help the city grow we need them to win and i think they will do that.

Sissiborgo
09-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Joking...?:rolleyes

tonylongoriafan
09-18-2008, 05:27 PM
How can you say the wnba is a joke? Let me see you go against young or hammond. I hope they win a championship. Why would the banner be pink? I think it would be silver and black. Think about it, it would help the city grow we need them to win and i think they will do that.

i'm joking about the pink thing :blah my point is silver and black are spurs colors. anyway, i don't see this as helping San Antonio in anyway (that's doesn't mean it hurts it either). all i'm saying is that it's indifferent.

DPG21920
09-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Silver Stars playoffs are on right now. ESPN 2.

DMX7
09-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Becky Hammon is worth the price of admission in itself.

for realz. Besides, they'll put the championship banner on the other side.

T Park
09-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Stars up 18 at the half, take that haters :)

Dex
09-18-2008, 09:22 PM
You're all feminists. :lmao

Dex
09-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Seriously though, I'd be glad to see a Silver Stars banner go up in the AT&T rafters. They seem to be having a great season, and it would be good for the city.

I'm not particularly a fan of the WNBA, but to disrespect their right to play is just pigheaded.

dbreiden83080
09-18-2008, 11:10 PM

This thread is a joke and this is a retarded thing to bitch about

anakha
09-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Disliking the WNBA for quality of play, attendance, whatever, is one thing.

Actively rooting for a team to not succeed because you feel that success 'demeans' the Spurs or San Antonio is beyond pathetic.

Biggems
09-18-2008, 11:17 PM

So if you had a daughter and she played for the Silver Stars, would you still consider it a big joke and a waste of time? Your views are sexist and degrading. Apparently you have no respect for women......probably no respect for your mother either.

I am rooting for the Stars to bring another championship to San Antonio. Our ladies bust their butts out there and instead of treating them like afterthoughts, we should be cheering them on.

GO STARS GO

anakha
09-18-2008, 11:17 PM
that's exactly what i'm saying...it doesn't even matter. yet if they do win, will they put a pink banner up next to the 4 spurs banners? not even close in stature and importance.

i'm not talking they lose literally...i just don't want the at&t ctr to become the home of the 4-time nba champions and 1-time wbna champions. its stupid.

i don't see this as helping San Antonio in anyway (that's doesn't mean it hurts it either). all i'm saying is that it's indifferent.

So what in the hell is your argument, exactly? :lol

Biggems
09-18-2008, 11:21 PM
i'm joking about the pink thing :blah my point is silver and black are spurs colors. anyway, i don't see this as helping San Antonio in anyway (that's doesn't mean it hurts it either). all i'm saying is that it's indifferent.

The Raiders had the colors first........and in San Antonio, Clark HS had the colors first.

Silver and Black is just a color combination. If you notice though, other than the rampage, all the Spurs teams are Black, White, and Silver....Spurs, Stars, Toros.

I have often wondered why no WNBA team wears Pink and Black as their colors. I mean the Hart Foundation in wrestling pulled it off, why not a WNBA franchise.

ploto
09-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Actually, go to some high school basketball games. The girls play tougher than the boys do.

ploto
09-18-2008, 11:24 PM
I can only assume that the original poster will be mad if the Stars win the title this season when the Spurs did not- as if somehow fans will then say that the Stars were "better."

Solid D
09-18-2008, 11:39 PM
The Raiders had the colors first........and in San Antonio, Clark HS had the colors first.

Silver and Black is just a color combination. If you notice though, other than the rampage, all the Spurs teams are Black, White, and Silver....Spurs, Stars, Toros.

I have often wondered why no WNBA team wears Pink and Black as their colors. I mean the Hart Foundation in wrestling pulled it off, why not a WNBA franchise.

Actually, Clark HS was opened in 1978. The Spurs went to Black and Silver in the 1973-74 regular season (red, white and blue Chaps colors in the preseason).

The Rampage went to Black and Silver in 2005 after the Spurs Sports and Entertainment bought them.

http://sarampage.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/thumbcache/f51c5286bb7fb902ccea690c973064f3.300.jpg

Biggems
09-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Actually, Clark HS was opened in 1978. The Spurs went to Black and Silver in the 1973-74 regular season (red, white and blue Chaps colors in the preseason).

The Rampage went to Black and Silver in 2005 after the Spurs Sports and Entertainment bought them.

http://sarampage.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/thumbcache/f51c5286bb7fb902ccea690c973064f3.300.jpg

Wow i didnt know the rampage changed colors.....i dont follow them.....last I saw they were blue.

I also thought Clark opened in 71 for some reason......must be another school I am thinking of.

Well anyway......The Spurs seem to love the Silver and Black motif, since all 4 of their teams use it. I am going to assume that if they were to buy the Missions, the gold would be replaced by silver....

Brutalis
09-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Spurs have done so much for SA they should have their own arena with practice facilities connected to it.

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Guys who are threatened by the continuing existence of a women's basketball league make me laugh.

Obstructed_View
09-19-2008, 12:02 AM
So if you had a daughter and she played for the Silver Stars, would you still consider it a big joke and a waste of time?
No, I'd probably buy season tickets, if for no other reason than gratitude that the NBA is keeping the league afloat so that my daughter could make between 35 and 100k a year to play basketball.

BTW, you just explained most of the attendance at WNBA games.

BOHOLANO#21
09-19-2008, 12:08 AM
So what in the hell is your argument, exactly? :lol
He is just a dumb jackass:lol

TDMVPDPOY
09-19-2008, 12:09 AM
umm i thought it was no at&t centre = no duncan = no spurs?

wtf did this rodeo shit came into the equation, stay at the alamo damn it

T Park
09-19-2008, 12:13 AM

No Rodeo = No ATT Center= Spurs

Wake up tard.

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2008, 12:33 AM

In the summer of 1999, the Spurs started a campaign seeking to develop a mid-sized arena in San Antonio. At first, the effort was coordinated with the City of San Antonio; politics got in the way of putting together an acceptable proposal and the Spurs made clear again that without a mid-sized arena in San Antonio, they could not stay in the city and would explore their options to relocate.

Sensing that the Spurs were dead serious about their relocation talk, County Judge Cyndi Krier offered up a proposal that linked the Spurs to the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo ("SSR"), which was hosted by a county-run facility. As part of the proposal, the County would contribute to the construction (mostly through collected taxes) of a mid-sized arena that would be available to the Spurs but piggybacked expansion of the SSR to that proposal. The Spurs would make their own contribution to the arena's construction and maintain the right to essentially rent the building and use it for their own purposes, subject to the County's right to take over the arena at the time required for the rodeo.

Thus, without the County's support, there would be no arena; the county's support depended on including the rodeo in the proposal.

So, like TPark says: no rodeo = no arena = no Spurs.

The arena's location is also part and parcel of the City's failure to get a reasonable proposal on the table and the County's efforts to find a way to keep the Spurs in San Antonio.

Tim Duncan remaining with the Spurs was definitely a part of that process; Duncan seemed to make clear to all that if the Spurs were moving, he had every intention of examining his options before committing long-term to the Spurs -- conversely, the vote that approved the County's proposal did not assure that Duncan would stay with the Spurs (though it certainly didn't hurt to know that the Spurs weren't moving).

Kori Ellis
09-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Spurs have done so much for SA they should have their own arena with practice facilities connected to it.

They intentional built their practice facility on the NW side because it's closer to where the players live. It's in a good location for them and they don't share it with the Silver Stars or anyone else.

And everyone can thank Sean Elliott for it.

T Park
09-19-2008, 12:51 AM
They intentional built their practice facility on the NW side because it's closer to where the players live. It's in a good location for them and they don't share it with the Silver Stars or anyone else.

And everyone can thank Sean Elliott for it.

They should have a Sean Elliott statue made of marble built at the darn thing thanks to him.

Buddy Holly
09-19-2008, 02:11 AM
The practice facility is also in the Medical Center which initially really meant nothing but it was pretty much the reason a few sports doctors, some connected with the Spurs, built the sports medical facility right next to the Spurs practice facility.

AlamoSpursFan
09-19-2008, 02:53 AM
I grabbed the last pair of tickets that Dawn, Chris and Jason were giving away. Those of you putting the Stars down have obviously never been to a game before. The atmosphere's great, the game is great, and those ladies bust ass on the court.

I'll be there with Little ASF who absolutely loves her Silver Stars.

T Park
09-19-2008, 08:27 AM
I'll be watching on NBATV hoping for the sweep to propel them into the Western Conference Finals :toast

tonylongoriafan
09-19-2008, 09:01 AM
So if you had a daughter and she played for the Silver Stars, would you still consider it a big joke and a waste of time? Your views are sexist and degrading. Apparently you have no respect for women......probably no respect for your mother either.

I am rooting for the Stars to bring another championship to San Antonio. Our ladies bust their butts out there and instead of treating them like afterthoughts, we should be cheering them on.

GO STARS GO

how is it sexist to say that the men's and women's basketball is different and that the men's game is far more successful? those are just facts. i'm not actively rooting against them (the thread headline has a question mark). i just find the idea of a wnba banner next to 4 nba banners strange and to me it won't look right. :wow

bringing another championship to san antonio? many area teams have been successful recently. the missions, utsa baseball, and utsa womens bball come to mind, among many, many others. And while we do acknowledge their accomplishments, there is no comparison to what the spurs have done.

To me, the banners represent that. Put the wbna banner on the opposite side of the arena if you want. Put their trophy in a separate trophy case too. MY POINT IS: just don't make me associate with the silver stars by default because i'm a spurs fan. i'm not anti-women because i'm jealous, sexists, or hate women. i'm anti-wbna because i don't like the game. six three-pointers from Hammon last night. that's a 19 foot jumper probably against zone defense. i'll listen to any argument about rooting for the team as i've said that i'm not rooting against them. but c'mon, seriously, quality basketball :lmao

AlamoSpursFan
09-19-2008, 09:15 AM
MY POINT IS: just don't make me associate with the silver stars by default because i'm a spurs fan. i'm not anti-women because i'm jealous, sexists, or hate women. i'm anti-wbna because i don't like the game.

Nobody's making you do anything. The Spurs own the Silver Stars and are free to do whatever they wish with the banner and the trophy (assuming the Stars win it). You are free to not support the Stars. If you don't like where the Spurs place the hardware, you can either not look at it, or not go to the games.

Oh, and you're also free to continue posting bullshit threads about nothing.

tonylongoriafan
09-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Nobody's making you do anything. The Spurs own the Silver Stars and are free to do whatever they wish with the banner and the trophy (assuming the Stars win it). You are free to not support the Stars. If you don't like where the Spurs place the hardware, you can either not look at it, or not go to the games.

Oh, and you're also free to continue posting bullshit threads about nothing.

so your telling me that it won't look funny? no need for the hostility, move on if you don't like it.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-19-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm all for the Stars winning a championship and adding another banner to the rafters, but I have to say, of the few WNBA games I've seen, I was bored to death. Obviously I have never attended a WNBA game before so I'm not talking game atmosphere, but from the little I've watched, I wasn't impressed.

Still, here's to hoping the Stars win the ship :tu

samikeyp
09-19-2008, 09:53 AM
I hope they win it all. Personally I root for any team representing SA. Hell, I even went to a San Antonio Racquets Team Tennis championship match. Of course the tix were free and so was the alcohol. Not that I drank because I was only 18 at the time. :)

samikeyp
09-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Still, here's to hoping the Stars win the ship

Thank you! Finally someone got it right! :tu

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
i just find the idea of a wnba banner next to 4 nba banners strange and to me it won't look right. :wow

You know, it doesn't look strange in LA. It also, I'm sure, doesn't look strange in Houston or Detroit.

bringing another championship to san antonio? many area teams have been successful recently. the missions, utsa baseball, and utsa womens bball come to mind, among many, many others. And while we do acknowledge their accomplishments, there is no comparison to what the spurs have done.

All a banner would do would acknowledge the Silver Stars' accomplishment, if they're fortunate enough to win the whole thing. It just so happens that they play in the same building as the Spurs -- oh, yeah, and are owned by the same entity that runs the Spurs. Thus, the only place to hang a banner to acknowledge that accomplishment is in the building where both teams operate -- the AT&T Center.

That wouldn't be an effort to compare the Silver Stars to the Spurs; it would be an effort to acknowledge that both the Silver Stars and the Spurs have achieved the ultimate success allowed by their leagues.

MY POINT IS: just don't make me associate with the silver stars by default because i'm a spurs fan.

Guess what? Spurs Sports and Entertainment has made that association for you, whether you like it or not.

century
09-19-2008, 01:11 PM
That POS outfit and the whole activity should be sent to RGV, or Poland, or someplace appropriate.

FromWayDowntown
09-19-2008, 02:18 PM
That POS outfit and the whole activity should be sent to RGV, or Poland, or someplace appropriate.

That POS outfit -- at least insofar as you're referring to the Silver Stars -- is the Spurs.

Why would the Spurs send a team that they own to any other place?

Flight3107
09-19-2008, 02:25 PM
I root against them but only because Becky Hammon is the biggest Commie sympathizer since Jane Fonda.

Los Spurs
09-19-2008, 02:33 PM

+1

By the way, I'll be at the Stars game tomorrow night.

LET"S GO STARS!

T Park
09-19-2008, 02:35 PM

Your lack of intelligence continues to unfold before us.

SpursWoman
09-19-2008, 03:00 PM
so your telling me that it won't look funny? no need for the hostility, move on if you don't like it.

No, it won't look funny in the least. It's great for the organization as a whole, period.

Is your mind really that small that it can't wrap itself around the difference between the Spurs & the Silver Stars that you'd actually take exception to a SS Championship banner by comparing the two? Seriously?

CubanMustGo
09-19-2008, 04:01 PM

Can't see the forest for the trees forum.