PDA

View Full Version : Antoine Carr

MrChug
09-18-2008, 08:23 PM
I just saw The Original Big Dog at a Valero. Now, I want to know...is it even POSSIBLE that he's destitute nowadays? Maybe not destitute, but that he's doing manual labor? Dude was dirty, sweaty, buying beer, and with what looked like a few construction workers.

That's honorable work and I applaud it, but I wanted to know if you think/know that he is doing manual labor or could he just have come back from some habitat for humanity shit or something.

I was a big fan of his so I'm just asking.

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I believe he owns a carpet company in Utah, but the last I heard of that was five years ago.

balli
09-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Wikipedia said

Carr now lays carpet for a carpet company in Salt Lake City, Utah.

It neglected to mention whether or not he owns the company. I do know that the statistics regarding bankruptcy and ex-NBA players are staggering.

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 08:54 PM
You can look for Antoine Carr's Jazzy Carpets in Layton, UT, and call if you really want to Nancy Drew this ish.

MrChug
09-18-2008, 09:35 PM
I would imagine that he would still do work over here, and I guess that would explain part of it. What did you wikipedia it? (wait, I should do it and then be back or just shut up right?)

Anyway, I thought it was a sadder realization than a happy moment for me. I've met some of the biggest stars on the planet but really liked The Dog. Still do...maybe even more now that he knows the plight of us normal people.

balli
09-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I looked up Jazzy Carpets in the Layton phonebook, but there was no listing. I found a third party online profile of the company that listed a number, but when I called it was just some chick trying to relax at home on a Thursday night. Anyway, I don't think he's in business anymore, so it stands to reason that he's probably working construction jobs in San Antonio.

baseline bum
09-18-2008, 09:46 PM
That sucks. Big Dawg was always a favorite of mine in SA.

timvp
09-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Are you sure he wasn't coming back from hunting or fishing? Not too long ago I saw Antoine Carr and Sidney Green at Academy buying hunting gear . . .

MrChug
09-18-2008, 11:05 PM
I looked up Jazzy Carpets in the Layton phonebook, but there was no listing. I found a third party online profile of the company that listed a number, but when I called it was just some chick trying to relax at home on a Thursday night. Anyway, I don't think he's in business anymore, so it stands to reason that he's probably working construction jobs in San Antonio.

Nice work. Thanks.

MrChug
09-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Are you sure he wasn't coming back from hunting or fishing? Not too long ago I saw Antoine Carr and Sidney Green at Academy buying hunting gear . . .

I don't think so. He had a work glove hanging out of his right front pocket and I was getting gas next to his old (maybe 1995) white Jeep Cherokee and have to admit seeing no gear to back that. It just looked like a beat up worktruck and I had no idea what was in the back but alot of equipment.

Marco
09-19-2008, 02:21 PM
I still must have an autograph of Carr from his Italian days. Big fan of him.

ChuckD
09-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Carr has a kid in town. A friend of mine, who is a Spurs fan, spotted him at a birthday party his kid was attending a fe years back, and chatted with him.

MrChug
09-19-2008, 08:00 PM
^^^Now it's making sense. Why not make a few bucks while visiting his kid? Thanks ChuckD...by the way--Fight the Power By the Time I get to Arizona but don't forget to Shut 'em Down. haha

Twisted_Dawg
09-19-2008, 08:03 PM
One time I was fishing with a buddy at Calavares Lake. We were tied up next to this cable and catching one striper after another. Then this fancy bass boat pulls in and ties up and it is the Big Dog and some homey. Anyway, he had the wrong gear to use.....some heavy duty looking saltwater rig, big ass lures, etc. Totally lost. We were throwing a cast net and catching shad to use as live bait. Anyway, my line got tangled with the Carr's, so I pulled the lines into our boat to untangle. I figured the brother needed some help so after I untangled the lines I tied the right rigging on his line. I then threw him a line and gave him a spare bait bucket with some live shad in it. Big Dog started catching fish...his buddy got frustrated.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Always loved the Big Dog. Here's to him. :toast

Biernutz
09-20-2008, 06:06 AM
When Big dog would make a basket or a block ,we all started barking ---that's how you cheered him!

mrspurs
09-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Ive seen Peter Holt look the same way. Never judge a book by its cover.

MrChug
09-20-2008, 10:51 AM
When Big dog would make a basket or a block ,we all started barking ---that's how you cheered him!

I saw that dude have some of the most awe inspiring dunk rejections I've ever seen.

landonbritt1
01-25-2009, 11:29 PM
In reply to your message Mr. Carr did at one time own a tile floorbuissness in Utah not a carpet company and he is now working in houston as a general contractor he is a very smart buisness man and a good ol country boy a heart .he and i were working side bye side on a fire job in houston a couple of weeks ago and he worked circles around me he is a very strong believer in working beside his guys and chooses to be humble as god created him to be.I was Honored to work with him and was at the same time amazed at the sheer size of the man. He loves to work and help people.

timvp
01-25-2009, 11:37 PM
In reply to your message Mr. Carr did at one time own a tile floorbuissness in Utah not a carpet company and he is now working in houston as a general contractor he is a very smart buisness man and a good ol country boy a heart .he and i were working side bye side on a fire job in houston a couple of weeks ago and he worked circles around me he is a very strong believer in working beside his guys and chooses to be humble as god created him to be.I was Honored to work with him and was at the same time amazed at the sheer size of the man. He loves to work and help people.Good to hear that Big Dawg is doing well :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Good to hear that Big Dawg is doing well :tu

I second that. :tu

This story of the Big Dog reminds me of other stories I've heard about ex-NBA players, like Rodney Rogers who was working construction when he got injured recently. The moral of the story is that just because you've got millions in the bank doesn't mean you don't want to work.

peskypesky
01-26-2009, 12:40 AM
I second that. :tu

This story of the Big Dog reminds me of other stories I've heard about ex-NBA players, like Rodney Rogers who was working construction when he got injured recently. The moral of the story is that just because you've got millions in the bank doesn't mean you don't want to work.

I don't even have a hundred grand, and I don't want to work!

objective
01-26-2009, 12:56 AM
I remember the season after the loss to PHX, Big Dog missed a bunch of games with an ankle injury. During a telecast they showed his ankle with his pant leg pulled up and it was still swollen and wrecked after a long time out.

I think Mahinmi has eclipsed Big Dog with his Spurs-career ending ankle injury. :lol

whottt
01-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Good to hear that Big Dawg is doing well :tu

If Antione Carrr were timvp, he'd have the game thoughts done the same night of the game.

Anyway, I was gonna say, just because he has a business and works doesn't mean he's destitute. It might, but it is true that some guys just like to work.

Reminds me of Refrigerator Perry after he retired...he opened a bricklaying business or something like that when he retired...might have been construction. It was just what he wanted to do....and he still does it(well I think he's sick now or something but he still owns the company). He also does all those charity boxing matches and other stuff...but as far as I know he's not hurting for cash. I remember the special about his bricklaying/construction business he talked about how he never spent any of the money he made playing football because his wife wouldn't let him :lol

MrChug
01-26-2009, 01:02 AM
I just can't stop thnking of the top of the key jumpshot hitting, dunk blocking, rim rattling, goggle wearing, non-rebounding, tough ass he was. Was ALWAYS a fan. We go down as the only team to have both Big Dawgs' right?

whottt
01-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Karl Malone is another guy like that...isn't he driving a semi and running a ranch or something like that now?

baseline bum
01-26-2009, 01:10 AM
His name is Big Dawg; Big Dog is Glenn Robinson.

Good to hear Antoine's doing well. He was always one of my favorites here, and I was disappointed we lost him to Utah.

DMX7
01-26-2009, 03:29 AM
I just saw The Original Big Dog at a Valero. Now, I want to know...is it even POSSIBLE that he's destitute nowadays? Maybe not destitute, but that he's doing manual labor? Dude was dirty, sweaty, buying beer, and with what looked like a few construction workers.

That's honorable work and I applaud it, but I wanted to know if you think/know that he is doing manual labor or could he just have come back from some habitat for humanity shit or something.

I was a big fan of his so I'm just asking.

Which Valero was it?

Oh, and good to hear he's doing good as well. I'm a fan of the guy too.