PDA

View Full Version : So Who's Cancelling Time Warner?

davi78239
09-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Now that supposedly KSAT could be off Time Warner by Oct 15, who here is really thinking about cancelling? If it does hold true, me and my wife are dropping their asses and getting AT&T Uverse or maybe even looking into Grande. Does anyone have Grande here? I heard even they have better deals than Time Warner and you get more for your money. I can't believe Time Warner is doing this shit. Do you think it's still possible that they can strike some type of a deal last minute or are they done with KSAT?

Trainwreck2100
09-18-2008, 10:22 PM
You realize that before cable there was a little thing called analog right?

ChumpDumper
09-18-2008, 10:33 PM
It's happening with our NBC affiliate up here. I only watch "Jeopardy" and "The Office" on it with any regularity, so I think I'll just record those over the air on my computer or get a torrent if the dispute actually reaches that point. I'm not watching anything on ABC now that the stupid summer game shows are over.

Anti.Hero
09-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Only thing I watch on ABC is lost and I can just acquire those else where.

Adios KSAT.

phyzik
09-18-2008, 10:43 PM
:lol:lol:lol

Its all hardball... Timewarner, believe it or not, is not the bad guy in this situation. Just like with the NFL network (Chris Duel, I hope your reading, I always hear you bashing TimeWarner).

Look, I used to work for them... they do suck and I hated it, thats why I quit after 8 months of bullshit... as far as strictly a cable company, they are not bad.... but I DO know how it works within the system.

ANY cable company, including Dish, Comcast, Grande or whatever is just a carrier. The networks are the ones that make the contracts. bottom line. Remember, they have been around a LOT longer than cable companies. Free broadcast airtime and all that shit before cable companies came around.

Granted, EASILY, Timewarner is a big time hardballer. They dont want to pay the big bucks buts its mainly because of the other services they offer. MUCH faster then DSL, a better HD service, including on demand, and a MUCH better DVR service.

Go ahead, check with Grande if you are in San Antonio, its even worse, I guarantee it. I tried it when I quit Timewarner.

Dish HAS to pay the bigger bucks because their other services suck so what they are doing is offering more towards TV networks to try and kill Timewarner.

All Im saying is, if it means that much to you (and it does to me, do not doubt!!!) go ahead and switch, just dont put the whole blame on Timewarner. I remember when I worked there they where actually TRYING to get the NFL network but they wanted a contract approximately 3x more than Dish paid.... because they thought they could get it from them.

Say what you want but Timewarner isnt in the business for losing money. Again, I dont and never will again work for that fucking company, they treat their employee's like shit but I still have their service because its still the best in town. believe me, I've tried others.

Bottom line, KSAT is just playing hardball, Timewarner cant survive in San Antonio without them so either they will pay up or KSAT will cave with the number of subscribers TimerWarner has.

Either way, knowing the people on here, when its a big game for the Spurs and there is some big rain going on or something, people will regret switching to Dish.

2Blonde
09-18-2008, 11:21 PM
I say FVCK TW!!!!
:soapbox:
But then I live Canyon Lake & use GVTC !!!!
:cheer

PakiDan
09-18-2008, 11:53 PM
I say FVCK TW!!!!

I'm just posting cause 2Blonde did, and I'm her number one fan. I don't care what Shoog says. I have U-Verse and I love it.

T Park
09-19-2008, 12:22 AM
DirecTV.

But I understand why you would like cable due to the internet thing.

PM5K
09-19-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure anything has been proven in regards to who is really wrong in this situation...

SequSpur
09-19-2008, 12:51 AM
if you are still fukin around with cable tv, then you're deserve this shit.

directtv is soooooooooooooooo much better it isn't even funny.

even in the rain!

T Park
09-19-2008, 01:00 AM
if you are still fukin around with cable tv, then you're deserve this shit.

directtv is soooooooooooooooo much better it isn't even funny.

even in the rain!

Especially if you get the rain cover.

But if its one of those classic "severe" spring ones then it could be spotty haha.

DannyT
09-19-2008, 01:28 AM
I am pretty much fucked when it comes to cable selections, due to the fact that my complex is under contract with time warner and we are only authorized them as an option. However as of this past week when JB and others told me about the shit they are pulling and with the NFL network and then I read they are in the midst of of a buyout of NBC in NY or something to that effect. And to top it all off they cant keep me locked in at a certain price...it keeps jumping and it will jump again two more time in the next year before they can lock me. I told wifey that I am seriously thinking about turning in the box and just getting some rabbit ears on a 52 inch how gay is that. but I could stand to save an extra 100 bucks in my pocket and not only that but get my kids off of sponge bob and patricks nuts for awhile...

timvp
09-19-2008, 01:51 AM
I'm not sure anything has been proven in regards to who is really wrong in this situation...I don't think either side is wrong, per se. This is just a game of corporate chicken. KSAT is trying to scare Time Warner into paying a subscription fee.

Right now, KSAT has the advantage and nothing to lose. This little tiff gives KSAT free advertising and viewers are tuning in to see what exactly they would be missing. Plus the satellite companies can offer a little bit under the table to make even more money for KSAT during this time.

But Time Warner knows that KSAT is bluffing. If Time Warner actually drops KSAT, it'll hurt TW but it'd hurt KSAT just as much, if not more. Advertisers will take their money to the other local networks who would have a much larger viewership at that point.

Until the date that KSAT has to decide what to do, they are going to milk this for all its worth. Either TW will pay up to end the milking process or they will just wait it out until KSAT has to show they are bluffing. Waiting it out will hurt TW financially with customers switching but the expected losses will be compared to how much KSAT is asking for. Once those two numbers are about equal, TW will pull the trigger and give KSAT the money they want. If those two figures never come together, TW will wait for KSAT to agree to operate under the current conditions.

The chances of KSAT staying on TW are about 99%. The only way KSAT would follow through on this threat is if the satellite companies poured millions into KSAT to offset any lose of advertiser revenue. However, it's extremely doubtful that satellite companies will do that for a market as inconsequential as San Antonio.

marini martini
09-19-2008, 02:04 AM
I say FVCK TW!!!!

:toast:toast:toast

GVTC rocks!!!! And I'm gettin $300.00 back in December!!!:rollin

2Blonde
09-19-2008, 02:32 AM
:toast:toast:toast

GVTC rocks!!!! And I'm gettin $300.00 back in December!!!:rollinIs that when we all get our money? I got a card in today's mail telling me how much we're eligible for but it didn't say when.

Clandestino
09-19-2008, 06:11 AM
:lol:lol:lol

Its all hardball... Timewarner, believe it or not, is not the bad guy in this situation. Just like with the NFL network (Chris Duel, I hope your reading, I always hear you bashing TimeWarner).

Look, I used to work for them... they do suck and I hated it, thats why I quit after 8 months of bullshit... as far as strictly a cable company, they are not bad.... but I DO know how it works within the system.

ANY cable company, including Dish, Comcast, Grande or whatever is just a carrier. The networks are the ones that make the contracts. bottom line. Remember, they have been around a LOT longer than cable companies. Free broadcast airtime and all that shit before cable companies came around.

Granted, EASILY, Timewarner is a big time hardballer. They dont want to pay the big bucks buts its mainly because of the other services they offer. MUCH faster then DSL, a better HD service, including on demand, and a MUCH better DVR service.

Go ahead, check with Grande if you are in San Antonio, its even worse, I guarantee it. I tried it when I quit Timewarner.

Dish HAS to pay the bigger bucks because their other services suck so what they are doing is offering more towards TV networks to try and kill Timewarner.

All Im saying is, if it means that much to you (and it does to me, do not doubt!!!) go ahead and switch, just dont put the whole blame on Timewarner. I remember when I worked there they where actually TRYING to get the NFL network but they wanted a contract approximately 3x more than Dish paid.... because they thought they could get it from them.

Say what you want but Timewarner isnt in the business for losing money. Again, I dont and never will again work for that fucking company, they treat their employee's like shit but I still have their service because its still the best in town. believe me, I've tried others.

Bottom line, KSAT is just playing hardball, Timewarner cant survive in San Antonio without them so either they will pay up or KSAT will cave with the number of subscribers TimerWarner has.

Either way, knowing the people on here, when its a big game for the Spurs and there is some big rain going on or something, people will regret switching to Dish.

blah,blah, blah... all the other companies managed to work deals with nfl network and keep prices LOWER than TWC... TWC is expensive and have assholes like you working for them.

ShoogarBear
09-19-2008, 06:30 AM
I'm just posting cause 2Blonde did, and I'm her number one fan.

Yeah, just last night she was telling me that you think that.

BacktoBasics
09-19-2008, 08:36 AM
The NFL Network deal is completely TW's fault. I'm not as familar with the KSAT deal but TW is holding out on the NFL Network because it wants that channel to generate 15 dollar subscriptions on a sports tier that doesn't sell well. All NFL network wants is the ability to market to a large audience and generate advertising revenue to grow the channel....which I and every other football fan should want.

Look at how shitty the NBA channel is. Had they not tiered it the programming would be a thousand times better and the NFL has double if not triple the marketing power over the NBA.

TwAnKiEs
09-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Now that supposedly KSAT could be off Time Warner by Oct 15, who here is really thinking about cancelling? If it does hold true, me and my wife are dropping their asses and getting AT&T Uverse or maybe even looking into Grande. Does anyone have Grande here? I heard even they have better deals than Time Warner and you get more for your money. I can't believe Time Warner is doing this shit. Do you think it's still possible that they can strike some type of a deal last minute or are they done with KSAT?

I work @ Grande and theres a deal going on where we have all 3 services (phne\Digiital cable \8.0 inet ) for around 89.95..... Check it out, wouldn't hurt if your moving services :toast

ORION
09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm in new braunfels off 46 and I can't get GVTC yet

Oh, Gee!!
09-19-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm thinking about going DirectTV

King
09-19-2008, 09:59 AM
I work @ Grande and theres a deal going on where we have all 3 services (phne\Digiital cable \8.0 inet ) for around 89.95..... Check it out, wouldn't hurt if your moving services :toast

Is Grande available everywhere?

TwAnKiEs
09-19-2008, 12:15 PM
unfortunatley no....

SA Waco Midland Odessa Dallas Austin Houston and Corpus Christi

They need to dig some Chet here in Seguin :ihit

PakiDan
09-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah, just last night she was telling me that you think that.

ouch.

T Park
09-19-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm thinking about going DirectTV

Great move.

Either this spring or next fall (fall 09) TIVO will again be on DirecTV recievers.

Now if they had sony make the recievers instead of cheap foney ass RCA, it would be even better.

King
09-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Great move.

Either this spring or next fall (fall 09) TIVO will again be on DirecTV recievers.

Now if they had sony make the recievers instead of cheap foney ass RCA, it would be even better.

Do you/can you bundle with directv, or is it solely TV? I've never even looked into it - but with TW's crappy DVR interface, lack of NFL network, and now possibly this --- coupled with the unavailability of Grande and UVerse where I live, I'm definitely interested in it.

But, that TW DVR interface...holy crap, it's f'n terrible.

Oh, Gee!!
09-19-2008, 12:40 PM

does it work in Helotes?

JoeChalupa
09-19-2008, 04:08 PM
I got a price lock with TW and they gave me showtime and the STARZ channels for free and also HBO but I can only see HBO in the rooms without the DVR. But they don't know I've got HBO too. I had to go off dig phone since I must have a land line to work from home. But I'm happy with it and I don't have a HD tv and don't watch that much TV as it is and when I do I find myself wathing old Law &Order, CSI, Seinfeld or Raymond shows anyhow. But I have heard some Grande things about Grande.