PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the WNBA?

tonylongoriafan
09-19-2008, 09:31 AM
do you like the wbna? if so, list some reasons...if not, please also do the same. just trying to see what others think.

phyzik
09-19-2008, 09:39 AM
I dont actively watch it but I wouldnt say I hate it either. Its just one of those things thats there. Kind of like that religious TV station, channel 22 or something. Im not going to stop and watch it but Im not going to bitch about it either. At least I know its there if I ever decided to watch for whatever reason.

The main problem I have with WNBA is the fact that they regularly clank their shots like 4 or 5 times in a row. Its like watching a highschool or middleschool basketball game except with women. Its just hard to watch.

Maybe when the league gets more talented players like Becky Hammon's skill level I might watch it. Other then that it just seems like the WNBA has maybe 5 or 6 really good players and the rest look like they where selected for a pickup game at the YMCA just to fill in spots.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-19-2008, 09:41 AM
I don't like watching it but I'm not opposed to its existence.

Kriz-Maxima
09-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Yes

xtremesteven33
09-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Let me put it like this...

Silver Stars > MLB

romain.star
09-19-2008, 10:49 AM
No, it's even worse than women soccer to watch

Brutalis
09-19-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't like watching it but I'm not opposed to its existence.

I second that.

T Park
09-19-2008, 10:52 AM
I like all sports, and its basketball and I love it, so its really cool.

Would I be following it if SA didn't have a team in the playoffs? Not at all, but that point is moot.

rAm
09-19-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm all for it existing, but it has no appeal to me whatsoever.

My beef with it is, I only like to watch the best of the best. That is why sometimes I have a problem with college sports, but college has that whole other layer of camaraderie and energy that makes it badass.

WNBA has nothing going for them, why spend your time watching the 3rd best? Would you want to watch Charlotte vs. OKC every night? Just my 2c.

Brutalis
09-19-2008, 11:14 AM
WNBA2k9 anyone?

rAm
09-19-2008, 11:18 AM
WNBA2k9 anyone?

:lol

MrChug
09-19-2008, 11:24 AM
I have mixed emotions. I think they could play on an intramural team and be average or above, but don't make me pay for them. The Stars are doing well and all of a sudden I'm interested.

I've just seen too many wide open-breakaway layups missed and general goofy plays to be really interested in watching a whole game.

AlamoSpursFan
09-19-2008, 11:39 AM
I like it and most importantly, my daughter loves it.

Tomorrow night's gonna rule!

balli
09-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah- I'm glad it exists for the people who enjoy it and I'm glad these women have a professional league to play in, but at the same time I feel like there are probably plenty of men's HS basketball teams in this country, who are better than the average WNBA team. Like other posters have mentioned, I'm into pro competition. If I can't get into the men's game on a college or elite high school level, it makes sense that I can't stomach watching the level of play in the WNBA.

anakha
09-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Strangely enough, it might be easier nowadays for the WNBA to start making inroads in terms of international expansion than the NBA - mainly because of the lack of other established leagues abroad that would see them as 'competition' for local players.

At the very least, I'd be interested to see some WNBA teams compete against some of the Aussie women's teams.

JamStone
09-19-2008, 12:16 PM
I'll watch the WNBA from time to time if they're on ABC or ESPN2 when two of the better teams play. You can't compare the WNBA to the NBA. It's just not how it works. You have to take it for what it's worth. There won't be highlight dunks. There won't be anywhere close to the explosive drives or crossovers that NBA players demonstrate. But, there are some terrific players in the league as well. Diana Taurasi is amazing to watch. And, Candace Parker is unbelievable. Tamika Catchings and Deanna Nolan are amazing athletes for women. But, it just doesn't compare to the athleticism of NBA players. So, if the gauge is the NBA, then it will obviously fall quite short of the standard.

However, if you watch to see quality basketball, you can often find it. There are missed lay-ups from time to time. Transition breaks appear to be much slower than an NBA fastbreak. But, the game is the same. The goal is the same. And, there are not only some good players, but good coaching, and good plays out there.

To me, I like watching basketball. I can sit and watch freshman high school basketball and be interested. So, it doesn't take much for me because I'm a basketball fan. And, guaranteed there are some WNBA games that are more interesting than some NBA match-ups, say between teams like the Memphis Grizzlies and the New York Knicks or Minnesota versus Milwaukee. The game might be faster and you still might get fastbreak dunks and highlight plays. But, a game between the LA Sparks and the Detroit Shock might be better played and more entertaining.

td4mvp21
09-19-2008, 12:21 PM
It's alright to me. I watch it in the offseason because there isn't any other basketball to watch. If it was on during the NBA I would still watch just not as much. I like the Silverstars and Becky Hammon is hot so I cheer for them. It's a lot different than the NBA and sometimes its frustrating because you're expecting something more than you get. I'd say the big difference is between the role players. In the NBA you have some damn good role players, a lot actually and average players are capable of big games and big plays. In the WNBA you don't really have that. The superstars are great but after that there isn't much. To me basketball is basketball, so I enjoy watching any kind (professional, men, women, college, high school, middle school etc.).

Red Hawk #21
09-19-2008, 01:02 PM
I'll watch the WNBA from time to time if they're on ABC or ESPN2 when two of the better teams play. You can't compare the WNBA to the NBA. It's just not how it works. You have to take it for what it's worth. There won't be highlight dunks. There won't be anywhere close to the explosive drives or crossovers that NBA players demonstrate. But, there are some terrific players in the league as well. Diana Taurasi is amazing to watch. And, Candace Parker is unbelievable. Tamika Catchings and Deanna Nolan are amazing athletes for women. But, it just doesn't compare to the athleticism of NBA players. So, if the gauge is the NBA, then it will obviously fall quite short of the standard.

However, if you watch to see quality basketball, you can often find it. There are missed lay-ups from time to time. Transition breaks appear to be much slower than an NBA fastbreak. But, the game is the same. The goal is the same. And, there are not only some good players, but good coaching, and good plays out there.

To me, I like watching basketball. I can sit and watch freshman high school basketball and be interested. So, it doesn't take much for me because I'm a basketball fan. And, guaranteed there are some WNBA games that are more interesting than some NBA match-ups, say between teams like the Memphis Grizzlies and the New York Knicks or Minnesota versus Milwaukee. The game might be faster and you still might get fastbreak dunks and highlight plays. But, a game between the LA Sparks and the Detroit Shock might be better played and more entertaining.

This is excellent, I agree 100%. :toast

century
09-19-2008, 01:05 PM
I hate it. Like being in the zoo. Those things are UGLIIIII!!! And it is even more boring than softball and women's hockey. Total and absolute waste of life.

Now...women's beach volleyball is an entirely different story.:toast

Many PackYao
09-19-2008, 01:16 PM
I like it because it's basketball. I could care less if it's men or women playing. It's funny how lots of guys dis the wnba, because in reality the majority of them who play ball also play below the rim like the women do. So why the hate?

Oh, Gee!!
09-19-2008, 01:34 PM
meh

shelshor
09-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes

tonylongoriafan
09-19-2008, 04:00 PM
is it me or am i seeing a lot of "yeah, but"

ChumpDumper
09-19-2008, 04:01 PM
is it me or am i seeing a lot of "yeah, but"Is it me, or do you post way too much about the WNBA to not be interested?

Kori Ellis
09-19-2008, 04:05 PM
I hate it. Like being in the zoo. Those things are UGLIIIII!!! And it is even more boring than softball and women's hockey. Total and absolute waste of life.

The question wasn't, "Do you think WNBA players are hot?"

But by your personality here, we all know you don't have a shot at any softball, hockey, basketball, volleyball player, or any other other decent woman anyway. :toast

tonylongoriafan
09-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Is it me, or do you post way too much about the WNBA to not be interested?

just seeing what others think...based on the other thread, it appears to be a good topic.

Kori Ellis
09-19-2008, 04:06 PM
just seeing what others think...based on the other thread, it appears to be a good topic.

No, it's just a topic that you started to try to twist and justify your ridiculous opinion in the other thread.

tonylongoriafan
09-19-2008, 04:15 PM
No, it's just a topic that you started to try to twist and justify your ridiculous opinion in the other thread.

not really. i just want to see what the people think. and to be honest i'm surprised. :wow

lefty
09-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Candace Parker >>>>>> Kobe

Biggems
09-19-2008, 08:48 PM
I like the Silver Stars. I don't really care to watch other teams unless they are playing us. Now I will say that I do keep up with the Western Conference a lot more than the Eastern Conference.

I am the same way with the Spurs. I tend to focus my viewing attention on the Western Conference.

koriwhat
09-19-2008, 09:00 PM
no! wnba is like attending some crappy middle school bball game.

lefty
09-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Not enough chest bumping

century
09-19-2008, 09:07 PM
The question wasn't, "Do you think WNBA players are hot?"

But by your personality here, we all know you don't have a shot at any softball, hockey, basketball, volleyball player, or any other other decent woman anyway. :toast

Well, ugly women have no place in my life. Not even as a background. Easy, greedy and good looking women will do just fine. Now....what team did you play for?:lmao

baseline bum
09-19-2008, 09:48 PM
No, because the WNBA sucks.

century
09-19-2008, 10:15 PM

Oh, almost forgot, I like female chess players too. :toast

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/18/article-0-02B5A18C00000578-585_468x360_popup.jpg

spurs1990
09-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Silver Stars are the best team in the league, so yes, at least for this season.

manufor3
09-19-2008, 11:05 PM
no

MrChug
09-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Not enough chest bumping

That's fuckin funny...

Slydragon
09-20-2008, 09:43 PM
I like all sports, and its basketball and I love it, so its really cool.

Would I be following it if SA didn't have a team in the playoffs? Not at all, but that point is moot.

WTF, we have a Wnba team and they are in the playoffs :wow stop the bandwagon train I wants in.

Actually I still don't watch them.

SenorSpur
09-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Before my interest was only limited to watching the highlight plays on NBATV. As the Silver Stars have become more successful, I've become more interested. I even managed to watch a Stars playoff game last season. I probably will again this year.

I will readily admit I just love watching Becky Hammon. She's an exciting player and it doesn't hurt that I find her incredibly hot. Hey, what can I say?

It would be a cool thing if the Stars could hang a championship banner next to the four the Spurs have.

AlamoSpursFan
09-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Props to Suckramento for winning last night, and props to them for having a hot ass coach:

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/9/9d/Boucek_waves_500.jpg