PDA

View Full Version : NBA 2009 Preview: San Antonio Spurs (Hoopsworld)

duncan228
09-19-2008, 12:32 PM
NBA 2009 Preview: San Antonio Spurs (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10020)
By: Yannis Koutroupis

Believe it or not, hoops nation, the 2008-09 NBA season is less than 30 days away. To help you get through the final month, HOOPSWORLD is breaking down each of the 30 NBA teams in order of their records from last season - worst to first. Each day we'll unveil two teams, one in the morning, one in the afternoon. You can see our previews of the entire NBA here!

Now, without further ado... here's a look at the San Antonio Spurs:

Five Guys Think...

Travis Heath: Anyone who has spent any significant time watching the Spurs over the last few years understands San Antonio will be there when the playoffs roll around. However, they also understand the Spurs tend to put it on cruise-control for large portions of the regular season. As such, don't expect the Spurs to win the division, but you should expect San Antonio to be ready to go once the playoffs commence. Where the Spurs are seeded is not nearly as important as how rested boys from San Antonio are when the playoffs tip-off. Whatever the case, rest assured the Spurs will be ready come late April as they always seem to be.
3rd Place, Southwest Division

Jason Fleming: Every year this team gets written off to age. One of these seasons it will happen, and the injury to Manu Ginobili increases the likelihood that it could be this season. They are still a playoff team, but no longer dominant.
2nd Place, Southwest Division

Tommy Beer: The Spurs didn't have much of a summer, but the general feeling was that as long as Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili were healthy the rest didn't matter too much. Now that the team is going to be without Ginobili for at least the first month of the season, we have to wonder if the Spurs were too short-sighted in their summer planning.

Wendell Maxey: Will the injury to Manu Ginobili be the chink in the Spurs' armor? The verdict is still out. It's hard to question a constant winner but San Antonio's future seems to be in doubt for the first time since Tim Duncan donned the black and white.

Yannis Koutroupis: After missing out on most of their top targets in free agency the worst thing that could happen to the Spurs was Manu Ginobili needing ankle surgery. Without a healthy Ginobili this isn't a team that can keep pace in the race for home court, but they will still be good enough to make the postseason.
3rd Place, Southwest Division

Top Of The List

Top Offensive Player: Tony Parker. This title no longer belongs to Tim Duncan, who has held it since pretty much the first day he became a Spur. Parker has grown tremendously since coming into the league seven years ago and has become one of the toughest covers in the league. At 6'2 and a slight 180 pounds Parker gets into the paint and finishes at a better rate than a lot of big men. His midrange jump shot has become increasingly reliable and he will drain the occasional three pointer as well. At the point guard position there isn't a better scorer in the league.

Top Defensive Player: Bruce Bowen. At 37 years of age Bruce's career is nearing its end, yet he continues to be one of the premiere perimeter defenders in the league. Bruce's ability to defend any perimeter player from Steve Nash to LeBron James has been a vital key to the Spurs success over the past few years. Some call him dirty, but persistent is a more fitting label. Bruce has made a career for himself by fighting through every screen and putting a hand in someone's face on every play. The hard, dirty work that most other players aren't willing to do is what has kept Bruce in the league, and he isn't going to stop now.

Top Playmaker: Tony Parker. He's still is not a true point guard, and he probably never will be. However, Parker's playmaking skills have improved dramatically since he came into the league seven years ago. He's always going to be a better scorer than distributor, but Parker has learned to use his aggressiveness to benefit others along with himself. In fact, it's when he isn't aggressive that his assist numbers are at their lowest. Expect a career best in assists this season from Tony as he'll be expected to do more offensively than he ever has.

Top Clutch Player: Manu Ginobili. No matter how good Tim Duncan and Tony Parker are playing, when the game is on the line Ginobili remains the Spurs' best option. Throughout his entire career both in the NBA and Internationally Ginobili has hit countless big shots. What makes him such a threat with the game on the line is that he's just as likely to find a shot for someone else as he is himself. The Manu-Duncan pick and roll has become the go-to play late for Popovich for that reason exactly. Considering that he's going to be missing the early portion of the season the Spurs are going to need some more clutch plays from Manu when he returns in order to keep pace in the West.

The Unheralded Player: Kurt Thomas. This could just as easily be Bruce Bowen, but because he's already been mentioned it's important to recognize Thomas and what he brings to the table. Thomas came to the Spurs at the trade deadline with very little time to pick up the system. Because of his experience and ability to fit in though he became a consistent member of the rotation. Even at 35 Thomas is still someone that the Spurs can rely on to defend, rebound, and occasionally provide some offense. His numbers should go up now that he has a full training camp to learn the intricacies of Popovich's system.

Best New Addition: Roger Mason Jr. Because the Spurs' had a quiet offseason this is an easy selection. Mason comes from Washington to hopefully give the Spurs another offensive weapon that they desperately need. Scoring points was the Spurs' biggest problem last year and if Mason can continue to improve like he did in Washington he should garner a lot of playing time. If Mason doesn't build on his career numbers from last year though, watch out for George Hill. The rookie has a lot of potential and the Spurs are going to try to make him a contributor in year one.

Who We Like

Tim Duncan: While this may be Parker's team more than it is Tim's at this point, you cannot overstate the value of the Big Fundamental. Even with his production dropping Duncan remains the leader of this team on and off the court. Despite being a surefire Hall-of-Famer Duncan remains the Spurs' hardest worker, something that Popovich refers to as a vital part of their success. He's still the foundation of this team and everything runs through him. Duncan has gotten more rest than he's accustomed to this summer, and it's a good thing because with Manu out the Spurs need him to get off to a quick start.

Tony Parker: On one of the oldest teams in the league Parker is the jolt of youth that keeps the Spurs in contention. For some reason his name is always left out of the best point guard conversation, but Parker deserves to be mentioned along with Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Steve Nash. He's gone up against all three the past two years in the postseason and came out on top. It's hard to imagine where the Spurs would be if Parker hadn't developed like he has.

Gregg Popovich: Thanks to his incredible body of work with the San Antonio Spurs Popovich has earned the right to be mentioned not only as one of the best coaches in the league, but one of the best of all-time. The players love him, but most importantly they respect him. On the defensive side of the court especially you can notice them playing with his tenacity and intensity. Like Tim Duncan people have grown to expect great things from Popovich, and that may be why he constantly doesn't get his due. There's no denying his place amongst the greats though.

Manu Ginobili: It's a frustrating time for Manu right now, but his importance to this team has not changed at all. Parker and Duncan are the one-two punch, and Ginobili is the difference maker. Whether he starts or comes off the bench Manu absolutely wrecks havoc on opposing teams and is still one of the most talented offensive players in the league. There's a lot of wear and tear on his body, making it really important for him to take his time coming back from his ankle injury. An effective Manu is something the Spurs have to have in order to get home court again in the West.

Bruce Bowen: It's hard not to respect a guy with Bowen's work ethic and determination. He's gone from a guy who had to pretend to be his high school coach to find a college to play for to one of the best defenders the league has seen in years. Bowen is the kind of guy that championship teams have to have. He knows what his role is, and he almost never strays away from it. Defense is his calling card, but offensively is where his game has made the biggest strides. He's become a leader for this team, and someone that they could not do without.

Strengths

This Spurs team has a lot going for them. One of the biggest advantages they have on just about every team in the league is their experience. There isn't a situation that this team hasn't seen before. They've won championships and know what it takes to win. They also have incredible chemistry, and that includes the players and the coaches. As a whole this is just a very cohesive organization. The trio of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili may not be as potent as it was a couple of years ago, but it remains one of the best in the league. Defensively is where this team shines though. We saw in the playoffs against New Orleans last year that when this team buckles down and gets after it defensively they are tough to score on.

Weaknesses

The biggest problem on this Spurs team is that they are still one of the oldest teams in the league and they do not have enough weapons offensively. As great as the Big Three is, they need help offensively and last year they did not get it. With Roger Mason being the only real major addition it appears that this is once again going to be their undoing. Depth is another major issue for the Spurs. Going without Manu to start the season is going to be tough, but if something happens to Duncan or Parker this team could be in major trouble. This is a team that needs to make a move, but with the Big Three being untouchable there's not much of a chance that they can do anything. They simply don't have any real attractive trading pieces right now.

The Coach's Take

Boy, did we look old and tired at the end last year? We still think we are good enough to get our fifth ring, and I expect Tim to come back this year with a vengeance. Tony and Manu will fuel our attack, but I am deeply concerned about our bench. We will continue our consistent ways – we are who we are. I just have to find ways to inject some youth and energy into our roster, as I'm not sure I did that in the offseason. --- Mike Moreau

The Burning Question

Is the Spurs Dynasty coming to an end?
As of right now the Spurs are the team of the decade, but the Lakers are making a strong push to take that title back and the rest of the Western Conference has certainly closed the gap. As currently assembled the Spurs are still a very good basketball team, but championship caliber they are not. With their hands tied in terms of what moves they can make the Spurs are really dependent on the development of guys like George Hill, Ian Mahinmi, and Roger Mason. They are a far cry from the team that won the championship two seasons ago, and without some major development from within they could find themselves eliminated much earlier than they're used to.

Rummpd
09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
I used to write for Hoopsworld and question the use of the term "no longer dominant" after only one year out of a championship with one of their three stars (and best end of game player).

Don't write off the Spurs. There is no one out there for them to fear if healthy period - even Boston (which was also an "older team"!) or LA (who has a center coming back from major injury and one of their stars, Gasol, still soft when it counts).

Last year Boston rented the championship from the only dynasty in the NBA - Mark it down.

duncan228
09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I used to write for Hoopsworld...

How long did you write for them? Why did you stop?

SenorSpur
09-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Historically, I usually tend "poo-poo" away most of Hoopsworld takes, but I have to admit I'm awfully concerned that the Spurs have not done enough to provide themselves the best chance to win back the title.

During the last two playoff series (Hornets and Fakers), we saw how limited the Spurs were offensively and how old, slow and fatigued they were. Sure Ginobili was injured, but his injury and limited effectiveness do not begin to justify the fact that this team was repeatedly outhustled, outrebounded and outquicked on both ends.

Meanwhile the challengers to the throne have gotten better and better this offseason. I know the FO tried to get Maggette in here. He would've helped. It just didn't pan out. Now, I fear there just aren't enough bullets in the gun to stave off the competition. The Spurs certainly look vulnerable this year. What makes this even worse, is there doesn't appear to be much in the cupboard in the way of developing talent.

xellos88330
09-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Now, I fear there just aren't enough bullets in the gun to stave off the competition.

Well in my opinion, the Spurs still have a decent shot at the title. Besides, if you are out of bullets, you can always throw your gun at them. :toast

Red Hawk #21
09-19-2008, 03:00 PM
You guys need everyone to get rested and a healthy Manu and you should be fine imo.

xtremesteven33
09-19-2008, 03:38 PM
With a healthy Lakers team, they look like the toughest of all the teams in the NBA.

The only way i see the spurs winning the title next year would be due to big time players from the bench...Ian,George,Mason.....these guys are the key to another championship...IMO

Gino
09-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Hoopsworld "articles" are just glorified posts from an ardent fan.

Manufan909
09-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Thats the first hoopsworld article I actually found interesting, and didn't detect any shit. The players at the botom of the minutes barrel(Ian, George, Matt,), as well as Mason need to step up across the board. Or one needs to win the MIP/ROY award.

Solid D
09-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Tony Parker may end up being the "Top Offensive Player" but scoring-wise, he would be taking that honor over from Manu, who was their Top Offensive Player last year.

If scoring was the Spurs' undoing last year, then Tony is going to have to really step up his game in his new role as "Top Offensive Player".

lefty
09-19-2008, 04:57 PM
TP's team????

WTF

Manufan909
09-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Maybe in 09-10.

HarlemHeat37
09-19-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't think most people think it's TP's team..at least I hope they don't..Tony Parker isn't the type of guy that can carry a team or motivate a team IMO..I'm not one of those "Parker haters" here, I like the guy..but he's not that type of guy..Tim is still our leader, and Manu is the heart and soul..Parker is the explosive player that energizes our team IMO..

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-19-2008, 06:55 PM
You guys need everyone to get rested and a healthy Manu and you should be fine imo.

:tu

Allanon
09-19-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't think most people think it's TP's team..at least I hope they don't..Tony Parker isn't the type of guy that can carry a team or motivate a team IMO..I'm not one of those "Parker haters" here, I like the guy..but he's not that type of guy..Tim is still our leader, and Manu is the heart and soul..Parker is the explosive player that energizes our team IMO..

Agreed.

I think Tony's a great player but he's just not the kind of guy that would lead a team to a championship. Tony can lead to the Playoffs but Duncan is the only ring bearer.

Losing the younger guys Scola, Beno, Splitter, Gist robbed the Spurs of young talent. Scola or Splitter + Duncan + TP + Manu + Bowen would have been enough to keep the ball rolling for a few more years in my opinion.

Duncan's still got a ring or two left in him but he needs help and I don't think the Spur's got him enough help this year to win it all.

Yuixafun
09-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Manu's injury was a key factor in losing to the Lakers during the WCF.

But even that might have been overcome if the Spurs as a whole were... hungry.

Watching those games, and seing them turn on a few 'hustle' plays such as grabbing a rebound or getting back on defense, stopping ball, even a foul to prevent a layup, it was obvious to see which team wanted it more.

It started with Manu in game 1, not getting on the ground for a rebound, being careless with the ball, and it trickled to the role players.

Maybe they were tired after the ordeal with New Orleans. They might have even felt a little overwhelmed (role players). But they were definatley not scrappy.. I never got the sense of a team going all out. Just a team performing as they were 'expected.'

Hopefully the influx of new players will remedy that, guys who have never won it before, who want to make a name for themselves.

And hopefully the manner of losing, with a repeat a mere 7 games away will rekindle that fire in Duncan, because really, if he had played to his potential could the Lakers big men have stopped him?? Sure he had a good series, but he could have had better. Methinks all the fingers are not to be pointed at one ankle.

I know Manu will play like a maniac once he returns. Lets hope the Spurs are still in decent standing when that happens.

Kori Ellis
09-20-2008, 03:11 AM
Though Tony is important (as is Manu), this will be Tim's team until he retires.

Obstructed_View
09-20-2008, 03:25 AM
So according to the article, Timmy isn't the Spurs' top offensive player, top defensive player, top playmaker or top clutch player. It's therefore really funny that he doesn't even get listed as the unheralded player. :lol

SenorSpur
09-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Watching those games, and seing them turn on a few 'hustle' plays such as grabbing a rebound or getting back on defense, stopping ball, even a foul to prevent a layup, it was obvious to see which team wanted it more.

It started with Manu in game 1, not getting on the ground for a rebound, being careless with the ball, and it trickled to the role players.

Maybe they were tired after the ordeal with New Orleans. They might have even felt a little overwhelmed (role players). But they were definatley not scrappy.. I never got the sense of a team going all out. Just a team performing as they were 'expected.'

Your points are well taken. :toast

Playing 100+ games a year for several seasons HAS to take its toll on any team - especially a core group of older players like the Spurs have. Factor in age and olympic competition and at some point diminishing returns are soon realized.

All that said, that's why it's so important to gradually develop and infuse a young player or two to help revitalize and reenergize the team. Despite the success during the dynasty run, the Spurs have done a very poor job of developing young, complimentary players, via the draft, to add to the existing core. As a result, you have a "talent cupboard" that is virtually devoid of young prospects. Time will tell if any of this years three draft prospects (Hill, Gist, Hairston) have a future with the team.

Russ
09-20-2008, 11:58 AM
NBA 2009 Preview: San Antonio Spurs (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10020)
By: Yannis Koutroupis

. . . without some major development from within . . .

Agreed. Afraid this is what it's down to now. Cross your fingers folks.:flag:

Rummpd
09-20-2008, 01:14 PM
How long did you write for them? Why did you stop?

About two years, life got too busy, I moved to a job in the federal government as a doctor/administrator, and they also merged with another site. The editors/writers ect. are great people and from what i have seen site continues to improve - it gets slammed by some, but the people doing it are very committed. (like Kori on this great site)

By the way they occassionally look for writers and you might get paid a little bit (I did when I was there). There is daily writing requirement during the season so you have to have the time and energy and almost all of these writers hold down other jobs.