PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Spur

Supergirl
09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
This is not meant to be a poll about who you think the "best" Spur is in terms of talent, what they brought to the team, etc. Those polls have all been done.

Who is your favorite Spur, in terms of personality, character, quirks, attractiveness, etc? Why?

My list is obviously biased toward *MY* favorite Spurs, but feel free to select other and tell me who I forgot...

Oh, and it's not limited to who is currently a Spur, obviously.

Red Hawk #21
09-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Tony Parker every day of the week, in High school when I played basketball(2003-2006) I always wanted to play just like TP. I love that guy man, he's a great player and he is always very humble too.

IronMexican
09-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Duncan. People say he's boring, but I love watching execution at it's finest

duncan228
09-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Who is your favorite Spur, in terms of personality, character, quirks, attractiveness, etc? Why?

Is there any doubt what my answer is? :lol

I'm not sure where to even begin. Duncan's game is what caught me first, how solid he is on both ends of the court. His personality fits his game, low-key, but brilliant. He's got a quick wit, the people that call him boring just haven't paid attention. I really like how quietly dominant he is. No chest thumping, no bravado. He just wins, and he credits his teammates and Pop before himself. He'll also be the first to take any blame, he doesn't point fingers.

Like most elite NBA players, Duncan gives back. I admire how he's made his giving personal. His Foundation provides money for medical assistance to people with breast and prostrate cancer, the cancers he lost his parents to. He does work for children that have lost their parents at young ages, as he lost his mom. He has a program for kids that demonstrate 'character' in school. His Foundation works in places that are important to him, San Antonio, St. Croix, and North Carolina. He also went back to being a citizen of St. Croix, so the income tax he pays helps where he grew up.

I respect that Duncan has never sold out. Though there's a lot of money to be made with endorsements, he's picky about what he'll do. He left Nike for adidas after adidas agreed to make a sizable donation to his Foundation. And adidas donates equipment and clothing for his basketball program in St. Croix. He does local stuff, like the HEB commercials, supporting the local audience.

I love how Duncan has kept true to himself. He's a video game junkie, a Dungeons and Dragon fan, and basically has no problem with being labeled a nerd.

There's no dirt on Duncan. What you see is what you get. He kept a promise to his parents to finish college, came out with an honors degree. He married his college sweetheart. He's devoted to his wife and children, and fiercly protects their privacy, their right to live out of the spotlight his career brings.

There are plenty of NBA players that are great role models, Duncan isn't the only one. But something about the way he puts it all together puts him way above the rest for me.

Okay, that got long. :lol Believe it or not, I edited it. Give me any opportunity to talk about Duncan and I could easily go on all day. I didn't cover all your questions, but I'll stop here. :)

fyatuk
09-19-2008, 03:33 PM
I may be the only one, but my favorite Spur has always been Willie Anderson. Yes, I know, weird.

DisAsTerBot
09-19-2008, 03:36 PM
wtf??? where's the ninja????

tonylongoriafan
09-19-2008, 03:38 PM
i vote for tony parker

Anti.Hero
09-19-2008, 03:55 PM
When Manu is MANU, it's the equivalent of watching the last 2 minutes of a Rocky fight. When he gets popped in the face, the swelling starts, then he goes off for 10 straight points... That's entertainment at its finest.

Obviously Duncan is a god. Manu is the angel of death.

Spurs Brazil
09-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Tim Duncan

Kori Ellis
09-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Poor George Gervin and Sean Elliott aren't on the poll, but Malik and Steve Kerr are :)

Bruno
09-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Bruce Bowen.

rAm
09-19-2008, 04:46 PM
David Robinson is who I voted for.

Currently would be Tony Parker. Love Manu to death though, and same with Timmy, but he is a little too dull.

Spurs fans are very lucky to have so many players to look up to, god I love this team.

lefty
09-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Manuuuuuuuuuu

Manufan909
09-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Manu, duh. Good thing I didn't read duncan228s post, though. He might've swayed me.
:toast

And I'll be the first to say that I think you could've kept going. You should make a thread about the "unknown facts of The Big Fundamental". I'd bump that shit.

shelshor
09-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Bruce Bowen

Hemotivo
09-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Mario Elie

duncan228
09-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Manu, duh. Good thing I didn't read duncan228s post, though. He might've swayed me.

I can be pretty persuasive when it comes to Duncan.

And I'll be the first to say that I think you could've kept going. You should make a thread about the "unknown facts of The Big Fundamental". I'd bump that shit.

You know who to ask if you ever have questions about him. :)

djohn14
09-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Nazr Mohammad!!!!!!!...nah....Timmy for me...

BlackSwordsMan
09-19-2008, 06:09 PM
why is malik even on the list?
I voted duncan

MaNuMaNiAc
09-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Guess who

century
09-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Tim, of course. A leader.

timtonymanu
09-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Bowen should replace Kerr and George Gervin should replace Barry.

i picked Duncan, but honestly ive grown to love all these guys on the poll except Steve Kerr. no doubt my favorite Spurs are Duncan, DRob, Iceman, Ginobili, Parker, Bowen, and Horry.

Brutalis
09-19-2008, 11:18 PM
David Robinson.

Spurs wouldn't be anything without him. Duncan wouldn't be 3 quarters the player he is. Four banners would have never been hung.

Everything the Spurs have is because of D-Rob. He is the greatest Spur ever (statistically) and in my opinion personally as a human being. Duncan is a close second.

I think there should have been separate polls. Favorite current Spur, favorite all time Spur.

Out of curiosity and not competition I want to see the winning percentage of Duncan compared to Robinson. Counting the years they were together for both of them I suppose. I am just curious to see if TD elevated the franchise. (and don't bring up titles, wouldn't be any without robinson regardless, and also not counting post season)

Brutalis
09-19-2008, 11:19 PM
:lmao @ Manu... goes to show how many people he brought to the bandwagon

amy020
09-19-2008, 11:19 PM
no doubt I vote for Manu

MaNuMaNiAc
09-19-2008, 11:26 PM
David Robinson.

Spurs wouldn't be anything without him. Duncan wouldn't be 3 quarters the player he is. Four banners would have never been hung.

Everything the Spurs have is because of D-Rob. He is the greatest Spur ever (statistically) and in my opinion personally as a human being. Duncan is a close second.

I think there should have been separate polls. Favorite current Spur, favorite all time Spur.

Out of curiosity and not competition I want to see the winning percentage of Duncan compared to Robinson. Counting the years they were together for both of them I suppose. I am just curious to see if TD elevated the franchise. (and don't bring up titles, wouldn't be any without robinson regardless, and also not counting post season)

The poll was about your favorite spur, not who the best spur in history is, or the greatest player. Read the thread before you post people

Brutalis
09-19-2008, 11:28 PM
The poll was about your favorite spur, not who the best spur in history is, or the greatest player. Read the thread before you post people

Um.

That's just one of the reasons he is my favorite Spur.

Reading comprehension my friend.

Tits McGee
09-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Present Spur Bruce Bowen

Past Spur George Gervin

portnoy
09-19-2008, 11:49 PM
James White

MaNuMaNiAc
09-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Um.

That's just one of the reasons he is my favorite Spur.

Reading comprehension my friend.

I'm talking about your suggestion that we divide the poll into two parts. If we're talking favorite spur then it makes no difference.

baseline bum
09-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Tim with Dave a close second and Ice not far behind.

Thomas
09-20-2008, 02:13 AM
Ginobili, Barry and Duncan (I Collect almost every article since his entrance in the nba)

freemeat
09-20-2008, 02:19 AM
NINJA? Where are art thou love?

freemeat
09-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Seriously, if a guy has his jersey hanging in the team's arena, he should be included in the "favorite" poll, right? And I'm not just talking Ninja here.

m33p0
09-20-2008, 07:05 AM
Manu, duh. Good thing I didn't read duncan228s post, though. She might've swayed me.

mrspurs
09-20-2008, 07:38 AM
If Manu didnt speak spanish he wouldnt be so popular. And thats a fact.

greens
09-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Ultimately, my favorite Spurs, personality wise and everything else, are the Big Four(Manu/Tim/Tony/Bruce). I just like the combination of these four. I like the team chemistry of these four a lot. There is something unique and special about the four of them.

In terms of my favorite player, I'm going to say that it's definitely Manu Ginobili. I like the style of his game, the between the legs passes to himself and to other teammates, the surprising out of nowhere dunks, etc... I also like his personality. I like that he cares enough about his fans to go on his forum and have chats and other stuff. From everyone who has met him, I've heard that he's truly nice guy who is extremely friendly with his fans and his teammates. I've heard that he's got an amazing sense of humor as well, as can be seen in interviews and such.

And I like how unselfish Manu is. I don't know any other superstars who'd be okay to constantly come off the bench. With the huge egos in NBA these days, it's refreshing to see a player who is truly a team player in every sense of the word. I find his game extremely exciting to watch. You never know what he'll do on court. And as a spectator, that's always fun to watch. I also like that when it's clutch time, he usually has the ball in his hands and is not afraid to take that last shot. He's got guts and confidence. And if he messes something up, he'll admit it and feel guilty about it. He always wants to win, for himself and for his teammates and fans. So he takes a lot of responsibility, especially if something goes wrong. I also don't think he gets paid enough, judging by everything that he is contributing to the team.

As a side note, I think Bruce Bowen should at least be one of the options on the poll, as opposed to Brent Barry and Steve Kerr and Stephen Jackson. I mean, Bruce has done way more for the organization than any of these guys combined.

Typhoon
09-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Manu.

Supergirl
09-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Is there any doubt what my answer is? :lol

I'm not sure where to even begin. Duncan's game is what caught me first, how solid he is on both ends of the court. His personality fits his game, low-key, but brilliant. He's got a quick wit, the people that call him boring just haven't paid attention. I really like how quietly dominant he is. No chest thumping, no bravado. He just wins, and he credits his teammates and Pop before himself. He'll also be the first to take any blame, he doesn't point fingers.

Like most elite NBA players, Duncan gives back. I admire how he's made his giving personal. His Foundation provides money for medical assistance to people with breast and prostrate cancer, the cancers he lost his parents to. He does work for children that have lost their parents at young ages, as he lost his mom. He has a program for kids that demonstrate 'character' in school. His Foundation works in places that are important to him, San Antonio, St. Croix, and North Carolina. He also went back to being a citizen of St. Croix, so the income tax he pays helps where he grew up.

I respect that Duncan has never sold out. Though there's a lot of money to be made with endorsements, he's picky about what he'll do. He left Nike for adidas after adidas agreed to make a sizable donation to his Foundation. And adidas donates equipment and clothing for his basketball program in St. Croix. He does local stuff, like the HEB commercials, supporting the local audience.

I love how Duncan has kept true to himself. He's a video game junkie, a Dungeons and Dragon fan, and basically has no problem with being labeled a nerd.

There's no dirt on Duncan. What you see is what you get. He kept a promise to his parents to finish college, came out with an honors degree. He married his college sweetheart. He's devoted to his wife and children, and fiercly protects their privacy, their right to live out of the spotlight his career brings.

There are plenty of NBA players that are great role models, Duncan isn't the only one. But something about the way he puts it all together puts him way above the rest for me.

Okay, that got long. :lol Believe it or not, I edited it. Give me any opportunity to talk about Duncan and I could easily go on all day. I didn't cover all your questions, but I'll stop here. :)

You make a great case for TD. He lost out by just a hair to Horry for me. I think those two guys have the best personalities, and seem like the kind of people I'd love to hang out with, and they've both done a lot for the Spurs, in very different ways.

Supergirl
09-21-2008, 01:14 AM
Poor George Gervin and Sean Elliott aren't on the poll, but Malik and Steve Kerr are :)

My bias. I'm a post-D-Rob fan, and I left Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ out on an oversight.

Supergirl
09-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Bruce Bowen

Oh man, did I leave him off? How did that happen? I even named my fantasy roster last year "Bruce Bowen's Girl"...

tlongII
09-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Other

timvp
09-21-2008, 02:02 AM
My only problem with poll is that Steve Kerr isn't listed twice.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-21-2008, 02:05 AM

among who?

cherylsteele
09-21-2008, 04:33 PM
According to whose guidelines?

How can you leave Ice off this list? To date, he is the only one in the HOF.
(I am sure DRob and Tim will be there in the future though) it would be a crime for them not too make it, along with Manu.

urunobili
09-21-2008, 04:44 PM
D-Rob

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-21-2008, 04:47 PM

You're an idiot.

RashoFan
09-21-2008, 04:58 PM
The RashoFan's has betrayed the namesake...I voted for David Robinson. We Sailors need to stick together!

ploto
09-21-2008, 05:16 PM
My head votes for David.

My gut votes for Manu.

My heart votes for Rasho.

century
09-21-2008, 06:16 PM
I wonder how reflective this is of the locals who actually go to the games.

barbacoataco
09-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Bruce Bowen.

Spurtacus
09-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Duncan

MrChug
09-22-2008, 07:46 AM
I'm going for OTHER...that fucker could ball his ass off.

SenorSpur
09-22-2008, 09:51 AM
I may be the only one, but my favorite Spur has always been Willie Anderson. Yes, I know, weird.

Wow! Props to you for your bold admission. :toast

Weird, but bold. Many people forget that Willie flat-out carried the Spurs during his post-Alvin rookie season of '88. He was a legit 20 ppg scorer then and basically was the lone gun the Spurs had at that time - until the arrival of D-Rob the following season.

SenorSpur
09-22-2008, 09:53 AM
This is not meant to be a poll about who you think the "best" Spur is in terms of talent, what they brought to the team, etc. Those polls have all been done.

My list is obviously biased toward *MY* favorite Spurs, but feel free to select other and tell me who I forgot...

Oh, and it's not limited to who is currently a Spur, obviously.

Any mention of favorite Spurs of all-time shouldn't be limited to present-day players. Any list that doesn't include the Iceman and James Silas is not complete.

rascal
09-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Bruce Bowen.

You have bad taste if he is your favorite Spur player. His overall game is ugly.

rascal
09-22-2008, 11:18 AM
According to whose guidelines?

How can you leave Ice off this list? To date, he is the only one in the HOF.
(I am sure DRob and Tim will be there in the future though) it would be a crime for them not too make it, along with Manu.

Manu will not make the hall of fame. Won't have anywhere near the stats. He may not even make another all star game.

ambchang
09-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Sigh, only 18 (12.77%) voted for DRob. I didn't realize there are that many young Spurs fans here.

Anyways, as a player, Robinson was revoluntionized the way center was played. He was quick as a guard, and can outrun most wing players on transition. He dunked and blocked shots with authority, covers a huge area in the paint on defense, and is just a joy to watch when he blows past forwards and drive in the lane.

He stuck with the franchise despite FO ineptitude in the early 90's, rarely says a negative word about anyone, gives back to the community like no other athlete, convinced Tim Duncan to stay, stays true to his family, and lives the way he preaches.

Oh, to top it off, he is probably the smartest player ever (in terms of book smarts).

my2sons
09-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Sigh, only 18 (12.77%) voted for DRob. I didn't realize there are that many young Spurs fans here.

Anyways, as a player, Robinson was revoluntionized the way center was played. He was quick as a guard, and can outrun most wing players on transition. He dunked and blocked shots with authority, covers a huge area in the paint on defense, and is just a joy to watch when he blows past forwards and drive in the lane.

He stuck with the franchise despite FO ineptitude in the early 90's, rarely says a negative word about anyone, gives back to the community like no other athlete, convinced Tim Duncan to stay, stays true to his family, and lives the way he preaches.

Oh, to top it off, he is probably the smartest player ever (in terms of book smarts).

ditto....
My favorite player before 5-0 was captain late. I used to listen to terry stembridge do play by play and visualized silas turnaround at the foul line.
Then Mr. Robinson came in and carried a franchise like no other with next to no supporting cast. Red always went for the headline by hiring name coaches and filling the team with no name talent. Even the coaches were questionable but the headlines weren't...ie...Tark and Lucas...

Sissiborgo
09-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Duncan and will always be he is the maker of the spurs...:toast

oski1000
09-22-2008, 10:21 PM
MANU !!!!!!!!!!:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Dex
09-22-2008, 11:06 PM
It's nice to see Steve voted for himself.

Manu-of-steel
09-23-2008, 06:50 AM
it's plain to see. manu and his desire to win. but i also love duncan and d-rob

bigfundamental21
09-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Tim Duncan.

There could be no other.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-23-2008, 08:15 PM
This is impossible to answer. It's like asking me which marshmallow is my favorite in a bowl of Lucky Charms. They, like the Spurs, are each so magically delicious that there is no way I can choose a favorite.

/lock this thread

spursjustice
09-23-2008, 08:24 PM
When I first supported the Spurs, it was Alvin Robertson; all-round ability and steals! Then David Robinson came along with those skills and the humble off-court personality. I idolised #50, collected all his bball cards (think I've got most of them til 2000). My room was basically a shrine to Mr Robinson. I honestly thought no other player could replace him.. then in 1995 I saw a player named Tim Duncan play. It was a college game (Wake Forest Vs Duke) and I was truly in awe of his post moves and his quiet demeanor. Then in 1997, when we got the 1st pick of the lottery, I was just happy. I still have the newspaper clipping that reads, "the Spurs won the 1st pick against the odds and will most likely pair up consensus number 1 pick, Tim Duncan with NBA star, David Robinson". The rest is just history... Timmy is the man.

Spuradicator
09-23-2008, 09:36 PM
This thread is bullshit. How is Manu picked more than Tim. Without Tim, we have exactly zero championships.

duncan228
09-23-2008, 09:51 PM

This thread is bullshit. How is Manu picked more than Tim. Without Tim, we have exactly zero championships.

Supergirl asked who our favorite Spur is. It's a popularity contest, Manu is always going to beat Duncan there.

my2sons
09-23-2008, 10:05 PM

last time i checked favorite spur is a personal preference. some of us go back to the inception of this team and have tons of favorite players whom without we would not have a team much less any trophys. timmy would be playing in boston for all those years instead of sa if not for history.

xellos88330
09-23-2008, 10:37 PM
I kinda liked Vinny Del Negro. Don't know why, probably because his name stood out. Honestly he was why I got interested in the Spurs. Wierd huh?

Reggie Miller
09-23-2008, 10:43 PM

I'm writing in the Iceman. When I was a kid, we couldn't afford to go to every Pacers' game, even when they still played at the State Fair Grounds. Back then, you wanted to see two teams: Gervin's Spurs and whoever Dr. J was playing for that season. Other than the Colonels and later the Nuggets, most of the other ABA teams weren't worth watching.

EDIT: Without Gervin, the Spurs probably do not survive the merger.

bigfan
09-24-2008, 08:50 AM
David Robinson served two years in the US Navy after college prior to beginning his NBA career. He has done more for his adopted community in San Antonio than any Spur, before or since. Many forget David could have left SA at any time after his first contract and where would the Spurs be now? When he was playing he was one of the best NBA players for his entire career. He is a great guy, no personal issues ever and remains a true ambassador of the sport. I love Manu, Tim and Ice too, but nobody compares with David.