PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Psych 101

dbestpro
09-20-2008, 09:26 AM
The way Pop uses the new players may really affect their play in the long haul. He wore Parker out until he got it with playing time. He wore Udrih out with bench time. This is my take on the additions.

I really would love Mahinmi to start. His numbers are not as important in the starting unit as his energy and ability to absorb fouls. Yes, as a starter the refs will pick on Ian but while they pick on him it means it should keep Duncan out of foul trouble. Pop then can use Oberto and Thomas in crunch time. Ian would learn from the best by playing by his side and starting would do wonders for his confidence. He also would not have to worry about trying to do too much by coming in with the second group.

Mason is my starting shooting guard and my backup point. The guy has numbers that are close to Michael Redd's when given more than 25 mpg. He also may be one of the better defender's of this year's free agent group. The Spurs haven't said too much about Mason because they do not want to put too much pressure on him. With Ginobili out look for 18-20 ppg. He will become the darling of this board by mid-season.

Hill needs playing time at the point. The only way he can get that PT is in the NBDL. He will struggle and get torched up until mid-season. The light bulb will finally come on about the time Ginobili comes back. I do not see him making any impact this year but we will be a big asset next year. Look for Pop to give him the Parker treatment next year.

The rest of the new guys are just practice players and will have no impact whatsoever.

honestfool84
09-20-2008, 09:41 AM
i don't agree with you on this:
The guy has numbers that are close to Michael Redd's when given more than 25 mpg. He also may be one of the better defender's of this year's free agent group.

and the rest, cool.
talk to pop; spurstalk is not the place that makes those calls.

dbestpro
09-20-2008, 09:48 AM
i don't agree with you on this:

and the rest, cool.
talk to pop; spurstalk is not the place that makes those calls.

I guess your right. How silly of me to post a message about the Spurs in Spurstalk.com

Manufan909
09-20-2008, 01:50 PM
What were you thinking?
:downspin:

duncan228
09-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Most Spurs/Duncan fans know that Duncan earned an honors degree in psychology in college. They might not know he's in print. He co-authored a chapter in this book.

Aversive interpersonal behaviors (http://www.lavoisier.fr/notice/frASORRXASKXFO2O.html)
R. M. Kowalski

Résumé
Aversive behaviors have greater influence on social interactions than is generally acknowledged, determining personal satisfaction, interpersonal attraction, choice of partners, and the course of relationships. What motivates aversive behaviors? To what extent do they obtain desired outcomes? In what ways are they unnecessary and destructive? How do other people respond, emotionally and behaviorally? These are just a few of the many interesting questions addressed by the 16 respected researchers who contribute to Aversive Interpersonal Behaviors. Nine chapters give this heretofore neglected subject the attention it is due, probing a dark side of interpersonal relationships to understand both its destructive and adaptive nature.

From the professor's site who worked with him:

My most famous student (http://www.duke.edu/~leary/facts.htm) ... Tim Duncan, NBA star with the San Antonio Spurs, was a psychology major at Wake Forest when I taught there. He took my research methods class, worked with me on research, and co-authored a book chapter with me (Leary, M. R., Bednarski, R., Hammon, D., & Duncan, T. (1997). Blowhards, snobs, and narcissists: Interpersonal reactions to excessive egotism. In R. M. Kowalski (Ed.), Aversive interpersonal behaviors. New York: Plenum.)

To read some of the chapter go here (http://books.google.com/books?id=zY1ivEwlHP4C&pg=PA111&lpg=PA111&dq=Blowhards,+snobs,+and+narcissists:+Interpersona l+reactions+to+excessive+egotism.&source=web&ots=nkY4jfFPj9&sig=FGGIMJ3d7_zxDAQrVTdB6j4F2aE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA111,M1).

honestfool84
09-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I guess your right. How silly of me to post a message about the Spurs in Spurstalk.com

don't construe what i said.

i said spurstalk.com doesn't make that decision.
you wrote it as if we were to approve, that decision would be final.

dbestpro
09-20-2008, 04:46 PM
don't construe what i said.

i said spurstalk.com doesn't make that decision.
you wrote it as if we were to approve, that decision would be final.

I was stating my opinion. This message board would be in a sad state if every post hinged on the unanimous approval from the fans of this site.

sprrs
09-21-2008, 02:49 AM
From the professor's site who worked with him:

My most famous student (http://www.duke.edu/~leary/facts.htm) ... Tim Duncan, NBA star with the San Antonio Spurs, was a psychology major at Wake Forest when I taught there. He took my research methods class, worked with me on research, and co-authored a book chapter with me (Leary, M. R., Bednarski, R., Hammon, D., & Duncan, T. (1997). Blowhards, snobs, and narcissists: Interpersonal reactions to excessive egotism. In R. M. Kowalski (Ed.), Aversive interpersonal behaviors. New York: Plenum.)

To read some of the chapter go here (http://books.google.com/books?id=zY1ivEwlHP4C&pg=PA111&lpg=PA111&dq=Blowhards,+snobs,+and+narcissists:+Interpersona l+reactions+to+excessive+egotism.&source=web&ots=nkY4jfFPj9&sig=FGGIMJ3d7_zxDAQrVTdB6j4F2aE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA111,M1).

I hadn't known that, that's interesting. Explains why he never likes to gloat during/after games.

mrspurs
09-21-2008, 07:26 AM
I dont think Ian is ready. And I know Hill isnt. Pretty much leaves us with last seasons squad except we got Roger and got rid of Brent n Horry. If you look at the rest in our divison, you would think they still consider us the team to beat. Our division alone made some pretty big pick ups. Roger will have no problems he's that good. But look in the paint, and you see nothing but has beens. Thats what will kill us........the paint. Unless we make some changes of course. Oh and I think Tolliver will be a surprise.

duncan228
09-21-2008, 01:01 PM
I hadn't known that, that's interesting. Explains why he never likes to gloat during/after games.

Duncan in his own words on why he keeps his emotions in check on the court:

I try to take this mentally probing attitude on the court with me at all times. People in college thought I was lackadaisical because I didnt show emotion. They thought I was soft because I didn't yell with every rebound. Emotions must not always be shown, if you show excitement, then you may also show disappointment or frustration. If your opponent picks up on this frustration, you are at a disadvantage. I made sure my opponents didn't know what was going on in my head, I guess thats why the fans never knew either. Basketball is like a chess game, you cannot reveal all that you are thinking or you will be at a sizeable disadvantage to your opponent.

ChuckD
09-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I dont think Ian is ready. And I know Hill isnt. Pretty much leaves us with last seasons squad except we got Roger and got rid of Brent n Horry. If you look at the rest in our divison, you would think they still consider us the team to beat. Our division alone made some pretty big pick ups. Roger will have no problems he's that good. But look in the paint, and you see nothing but has beens. Thats what will kill us........the paint. Unless we make some changes of course. Oh and I think Tolliver will be a surprise.

Who made big pickups in our division? Dallas? nope. Houston? They grabbed a talented, pinless hand grenade that has imploded ever team he's ever been on. N.O.? Nice pickup (although they overpaid) in Posey, but he's over 30, AND they lost their safety blanket in Pargo. He guarded all of the talented WC PGs, something the defenseless CP3 has no chance to do.