PDA

View Full Version : Is this Pop's last season?........

Steve Perry
09-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Is this it for coach Pop?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-20-2008, 08:38 PM
No.

samikeyp
09-20-2008, 09:06 PM
It is if its Duncan's last season.

Brutalis
09-20-2008, 09:52 PM
It is if its Duncan's last season.

Exactly my first thought.

Where does this crap come from I wonder?

Manufan909
09-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Extreme boredom, obviously.

Brox6
09-20-2008, 11:29 PM
I thought he will retire 20mins after Duncan retire????

carina_gino20
09-21-2008, 12:08 AM
nope...about 30 seconds after

m33p0
09-21-2008, 12:29 AM
nope...about 30 seconds after
more or less.

pad300
09-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Exactly my first thought.

Where does this crap come from I wonder?

I dunno, Pop plays Mike Finley starter minutes and I might just go postal on his ass!

mrspurs
09-21-2008, 07:34 AM
Maybe as a coach. And nothing lasts forever. I honestly think its time he moves on from coaching. His loud rants are getting old and imo keeping FA's from coming to this small city. One thing is for sure. Pop hasnt got a clue where to find a big man since Drob left. And he hasnt found a decent backup point he doesnt put in the doghouse. His attention to old veterans has gotten us old fast. I dont cheer for Pop, I cheer for the Black and Silver.

century
09-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Maybe as a coach. And nothing lasts forever. I honestly think its time he moves on from coaching. His loud rants are getting old and imo keeping FA's from coming to this small city. One thing is for sure. Pop hasnt got a clue where to find a big man since Drob left. And he hasnt found a decent backup point he doesnt put in the doghouse. His attention to old veterans has gotten us old fast. I dont cheer for Pop, I cheer for the Black and Silver.

Go back to the kitchen! And don't you have some cleaning to do...

anakha
09-21-2008, 10:40 AM
His loud rants are getting old and imo keeping FA's from coming to this small city.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/03/09/poll0.309/index.html

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/staff/posts/2252

I think I'll take the word of actual NBA players over such 'expert' armchair analysis. :lol

bigdog
09-21-2008, 11:04 AM
No. He will leave the Spurs when Duncan retires. It's not his fault some of our players are old (well actually it is kinda his fault), but his system is a great system, works very well, but sometimes our older guys show their age, and that's the only reason we look like a bad team sometimes.

I can't believe this even came into question.

MrChug
09-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Steve Perry-do you mean you want Pop to take a Journey so we just go Separate Ways and tell him I'll Be Alright Without You? Why because we're getting a little old so Only the Young can play? You can't have it Any Way You Want It. We might be in the Line Of Fire but it's never Too Late. What if we DO win then Who's Crying Now?

I think he'll stay with the Spurs Faithfully and Just the Same Way. As a fan I'd always welcome him with Open Arms. Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna do any Lovin', Touchin', or Squeezin' or anything but Why Can't This Night Go On Forever? I want the Wheels in the Sky to Keep on Turnin personally.

All That Really Matters is that you Don't Stop Believin' and Be Good to Yourself.

anakha
09-21-2008, 11:22 AM
I think I'll take the word of actual NBA players over such 'expert' armchair analysis. :lol

I hope its his last season because he makes the the wrong decisions for this team.Bring a more wiser coach

Case in point.

anakha
09-21-2008, 11:34 AM
exactly

That whistling sound you're hearing is the point of my post passing way over your head.

koriwhat
09-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Steve Perry-do you mean you want Pop to take a Journey so we just go Separate Ways and tell him I'll Be Alright Without You? Why because we're getting a little old so Only the Young can play? You can't have it Any Way You Want It. We might be in the Line Of Fire but it's never Too Late. What if we DO win then Who's Crying Now?

I think he'll stay with the Spurs Faithfully and Just the Same Way. As a fan I'd always welcome him with Open Arms. Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna do any Lovin', Touchin', or Squeezin' or anything but Why Can't This Night Go On Forever? I want the Wheels in the Sky to Keep on Turnin personally.

All That Really Matters is that you Don't Stop Believin' and Be Good to Yourself.

fuck journey! haha... is that journey anyhow? i can't remember but it's a pretty damn funny reply though.

cherylsteele
09-21-2008, 04:24 PM

:lol
Love this reply.

tlongII
09-21-2008, 05:20 PM
It should be. Popovich is easily the most overrated coach in NBA history. Only a slimeball would dump a coach and then take over when they have a chance at getting Tim Duncan. Without Duncan, Popovich is a nobody.

MrChug
09-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks...

...and thanks :P

wisnub
09-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Probably right afer Finley retire...i got no idea why the hell he is in the roster,not barry.

But I guess y'all rite..after Duncan retire...Pop will follow...

wisnub
09-21-2008, 06:38 PM
It should be. Popovich is easily the most overrated coach in NBA history. Only a slimeball would dump a coach and then take over when they have a chance at getting Tim Duncan. Without Duncan, Popovich is a nobody.

I dont know why you hate Pop..but he is a good coach,ANY SPORT ANALYST WILL ADMIT THAT. But us, the spectators can say pretty much whatever we want to say. Its not a big deal, Im not his fans either..Im Spurs fans.
When TD was down Spurs were doing okay. That's how Spurs use small lineup...and sadly it still continue after TD back. The season after that everything went back to normal. Blazers lineup is honestly real solid,but as for now playoff spot will be a blessing for them..cant ask for more

tlongII
09-21-2008, 07:28 PM
I dont know why you hate Pop..but he is a good coach,ANY SPORT ANALYST WILL ADMIT THAT. But us, the spectators can say pretty much whatever we want to say. Its not a big deal, Im not his fans either..Im Spurs fans.
When TD was down Spurs were doing okay. That's how Spurs use small lineup...and sadly it still continue after TD back. The season after that everything went back to normal. Blazers lineup is honestly real solid,but as for now playoff spot will be a blessing for them..cant ask for more

I can't stand Popovich, because he's a snake. What he did to Bob Hill was ridiculous in my opinion. He appears to be a good coach only because he has Duncan.

duncan228
09-21-2008, 07:40 PM
He appears to be a good coach only because he has Duncan.

Duncan and Pop have a special relationship. We'll never know if Duncan would have been what he is under a different coach. We do know what he's done under Pop.

It's the same with Pop. We'll never know what he would have done without Duncan, I expect their careers to end together.

In the end it doesn't matter. They brought out the best in each other and have one of the best coach/player relationships in the league. That bleeds through the locker room and has helped make this team what it's been for over a decade.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-21-2008, 07:42 PM
It should be.

Well it isn't.

Fabbs
09-21-2008, 07:52 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/players/03/09/poll0.309/index.html

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/staff/posts/2252

2005 information? While you're patting yourself on the back for posting the links, the articles say "Jeff Van Gundy of the Rockets" and "Pat Riley of the Heat".:lol Popped has gone 1 for 3 since then with arguably the best roster in 2 of 3 years. I would say 3 of 3.

Oh the one also says "Among players 30 and older Popovich was the winner, drawing 19% of that vote" :lol:lol:lol We have a winner!

Spurtacus
09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I can't stand Popovich, because he's a snake. What he did to Bob Hill was ridiculous in my opinion. He appears to be a good coach only because he has Duncan.

Jealous much?

lefty
09-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Pop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.. Mcmillan

anakha
09-21-2008, 10:01 PM
2005 information? While you're patting yourself on the back for posting the links, the articles say "Jeff Van Gundy of the Rockets" and "Pat Riley of the Heat".:lol Popped has gone 1 for 3 since then with arguably the best roster in 2 of 3 years. I would say 3 of 3.

Oh the one also says "Among players 30 and older Popovich was the winner, drawing 19% of that vote" :lol:lol:lol We have a winner!

Old information, taken from the players themselves, is still more reliable than 99% of the 'expert analysis' spouted over here.

Yours especially included.

Fabbs
09-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Old information, taken from the players themselves, is still more reliable than 99% of the 'expert analysis' spouted over here.

Yours especially included.
5/10 on the backpedal chart.
I'd like to see an accurate up to date poll.
One that includes NBA players under age 30. :lol:lol

anakha
09-21-2008, 11:17 PM
5/10 on the backpedal chart.
I'd like to see an accurate up to date poll.
One that includes NBA players under age 30. :lol:lol

Who's backpedaling?

I was trying to phrase it politely earlier, but since you're too dense to understand.... :lol

Your opinions mean absolutely shit to me.

Avitus1
09-22-2008, 01:09 AM
LMAO, no... its not.

Fabbs
09-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Who's backpedaling?

I was trying to phrase it politely earlier, but since you're too dense to understand.... :lol

Your opinions mean absolutely shit to me.
Now, are you having anger issues with me? :nope

Geriatric Southern Monthly did a poll and found that 99% of diehard unending Pop supporters had alzheimer's, poor eyesight, watched Matlock and chewed tobacco.

tonylongoriafan
09-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Pop is by far the best coach the spurs have ever had (except for the few days when tark chewed the towel :lmao)...for the us, old is good. i'd rather have him than not, even after tim leaves.

anakha
09-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Now, are you having anger issues with me? :nope

Geriatric Southern Monthly did a poll and found that 99% of diehard unending Pop supporters had alzheimer's, poor eyesight, watched Matlock and chewed tobacco.

No anger issues, just correcting you on your mistaken assumption that your opinion actually matters more than those of actual NBA players.

But of course, all you'll reply with is more 'creative insults' against Popovich and dismissal of data that don't coincide with your myopic perspective.

Go ahead. If ignorance is bliss, than you must be the happiest person on earth.

Galileo
09-22-2008, 07:38 PM
maybe they'll bring back Bob Hill for the 2010 run?

SpurSupremacist
09-23-2008, 04:44 AM
Don't be silly. Everyone knows Popovich will retire with Tim Duncan. He'll ride his coat-tails right out the door, just like he's been doing his entire career. I do give him credit for the fact he knows that he is nothing without him. That's about all I can say for the guy.

m33p0
09-23-2008, 04:49 AM
Don't be silly. Everyone knows Popovich will retire with Tim Duncan. He'll ride his coat-tails right out the door, just like he's been doing his entire career. I do give him credit for the fact he knows that he is nothing without him. That's about all I can say for the guy.
:troll

SpurSupremacist
09-23-2008, 05:07 AM

I'm uncertain how it's trolling when everything I say is 100% accurate. If you want a quick bit of proof how terrible Popovich is at coaching, I'll give you one right off top. Spurs/Dallas series from a few years back. You know, the one that went to 7 games, that should have been wrapped up in about 6? Yes, that one. He plays MICHAEL FINLEY AT POWER FORWARD. This is when he had not used this lineup THE ENTIRE SEASON. He basically melted under the pressure of having to make a real coaching decision. He bowed down to Avery Johnson and played the kind of ball Avery wanted him to play. I bet Avery laughed to himself after that series about it. I bet he laughed a lot. Bottom line: Popovich got OUTCOACHED BY A FUCKING ROOKIE COACH WHO IS NO LONGER IN THE NBA.

m33p0
09-23-2008, 05:12 AM
I'm uncertain how it's trolling when everything I say is 100% accurate. If you want a quick bit of proof how terrible Popovich is at coaching, I'll give you one right off top. Spurs/Dallas series from a few years back. You know, the one that went to 7 games, that should have been wrapped up in about 6? Yes, that one. He plays MICHAEL FINLEY AT POWER FORWARD. This is when he had not used this lineup THE ENTIRE SEASON. He basically melted under the pressure of having to make a real coaching decision. He bowed down to Avery Johnson and played the kind of ball Avery wanted him to play. I bet Avery laughed to himself after that series about it. I bet he laughed a lot. Bottom line: Popovich got OUTCOACHED BY A FUCKING ROOKIE COACH WHO IS NO LONGER IN THE NBA.

Outcoached? Fielding a Tim Duncan with a sprained ankle and a Manu Ginobili with a deep thigh bruise and still only 1 good defensive play/offensive play away from the championship, playing against a team that was built to beat the Spurs outcoached?

GTFO troll!

SpurSupremacist
09-23-2008, 05:15 AM
Outcoached? Fielding a Tim Duncan with a sprained ankle and a Manu Ginobili with a deep thigh bruise and still only 1 good defensive play/offensive play away from the championship, playing against a team that was built to beat the Spurs outcoached?

GTFO troll!

I understand, so every time the Spurs lose, it is because of an injury. Tim was so hurt, in fact, that he miraculously was able to put up about 40 and 20 in a 7th game. Give me a break. GTFO COMMON SENSE!

m33p0
09-23-2008, 05:30 AM
I understand, so every time the Spurs lose, it is because of an injury.
Generalizing to weaken my argument doesn't work.

Tim was so hurt, in fact, that he miraculously was able to put up about 40 and 20 in a 7th game. Give me a break. GTFO COMMON SENSE!
that's not a miracle, that's playoff Tim Duncan. and the CoM thanks you for not blaming Manu for the game 7 loss like almost everyone else has.

SpurSupremacist
09-23-2008, 05:34 AM
that's not a miracle, that's playoff Tim Duncan. and the CoM thanks you for not blaming Manu for the game 7 loss like almost everyone else has.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do blame Manu for the game 7 loss. Easily the most boneheaded move I've ever seen in the NBA playoffs. My thing is, it should have never even got to that point. We were a vastly better team than those Mavericks. That series should have ended in 6, at the most. Unfortunately, the Spurs are coached by Gregg Popovich.

Anyway, I am going to bed.

spurs50_
09-23-2008, 03:59 PM
You kidding me, Pop is gonna hang on to Duncan's coattails till the very end.

sexinthatsx
09-30-2008, 05:37 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do blame Manu for the game 7 loss. Easily the most boneheaded move I've ever seen in the NBA playoffs. My thing is, it should have never even got to that point. We were a vastly better team than those Mavericks. That series should have ended in 6, at the most. Unfortunately, the Spurs are coached by Gregg Popovich.

Anyway, I am going to bed.

you're fucking retarded, stfu and go to sleep. Pop owns

HarlemHeat37
09-30-2008, 06:09 AM
are people really criticizing Pop? the guy is the best coach in the NBA IMO..he makes great adjustments, he runs great plays, he's arguably the best motivator in the NBA..his only flaw IMO, are his rotations..but you can find the same flaw in Phil Jackson and especially in Jerry Sloan(overplaying Harpring)..

Sissiborgo
09-30-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't think so and i hope not...If he goes than Spurs might go also...:rolleyes

Sissiborgo
09-30-2008, 09:28 AM
You kidding me, Pop is gonna hang on to Duncan's coattails till the very end.

Thats right...

MagnusKrauss
09-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Pop will graciously retire when Timmy does. That doesn't make him less of a coach. But that doesn't mean he won't be with the Spurs.

By then, it'll be Bud's time to shine.

ambchang
09-30-2008, 10:40 AM
This thread is proof that most people don't know squat about basketball.

Pop has implemented a system that has allowed the Spurs to be a contender for the last ten years, won 4 championships, including one while the Spurs were rebuilding, and made the Spurs a model franchise. All those people claiming that Pop was riding Duncan’s coattails don’t know that a system allows a player to maximize his strength to achieve greater success.

Jordan couldn’t win without Jackson, Shaq without Jackson/Riley, Magic without Riley/McKinney. A coach is as important, if not more so, than a player.

Bob Hill should have been canned a long time ago for his inability to apply discipline and allow Rodman to run wild. Fact that the guy couldn’t land a job 10 years afterwards probably tells you something. He was basically D’antoni with less offense.

sexinthatsx
09-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Some of you guys don't realize that the coaches help the most in post time out situations. And honestly, I haven't seen a coach to date that has hit as many successful post time out plays than the ones pop sets up. Remember that 3 Tim duncan hit against the suns in the playoffs? That play was set up by pop. You guys can criticize pop all you want, but in the end he's there to make sure that games will be closed out and game winners are made. And he has done JUST that. I can't believe that one retard was pretty much implying that Avery Johnson outcoached Pop... what a fucking dumbass

dbreiden83080
09-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Duncan and Pop have a special relationship. We'll never know if Duncan would have been what he is under a different coach. We do know what he's done under Pop.

Duncan landed in a great situation in SA, learning under D-Rob and Pop and has had a great team around him to win titles. But he was going to be a HOF legendary player nomatter where he landed in the NBA. Pop probably won't ever coach anywhere else so he'll always take some flack for riding the great HOF big man to 4 titles or more but not doing it anywhere else.

duncan228
09-30-2008, 03:18 PM
But he was going to be a HOF legendary player nomatter where he landed in the NBA.

You know I agree with you. :)

biba
09-30-2008, 03:33 PM
"The best coach in the league (and its not even close) is Gregg Popovich"

see thread: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98830

Opinion of a professional gambler who sees 1000 games a year.

- part of the interview is about Tim Donaghy scandal and part is about his gambling life -

Haralabos Voulgaris, a Professional Gambler's Take on the Tim Donaghy Scandal

June 11, 2008 2:10 PM

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...y-Scandal.html

"The flip side of that are the teams/players who do a great job of garnering extra possessions, my numbers tell me the Hornets and the Spurs do this best.

The best coach in the league (and its not even close) is Gregg Popovich.
He is without peer in terms of how well he manages a game, as well as prepares his team. It's really not even close, he is just that much better than every other coach in the league. If you are ever unsure of what the correct strategy is in a certain situation, look to the Spurs. If they are doing it, it's probably the right strategy.

There are a lot of coaches who do a poor job with what I call the mathematics of the game, but to be fair, maybe they are better at other aspects of their job like motivation or player development.

However, I have a hard time believing that Doc Rivers could ever make up for his in-game strategy with his ability to motivate or develop players. I would like to have seen how the Celtics would have fared this year if they didn't hire Tom Thibodeau to install a great defensive system. If Popovich is the guy you lean to if you are unsure of what to do, Rivers is certainly the guy you look to if you want to know what NOT to do."

ambchang
09-30-2008, 04:00 PM
"The best coach in the league (and its not even close) is Gregg Popovich"

see thread: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98830

Opinion of a professional gambler who sees 1000 games a year.

- part of the interview is about Tim Donaghy scandal and part is about his gambling life -

Haralabos Voulgaris, a Professional Gambler's Take on the Tim Donaghy Scandal

June 11, 2008 2:10 PM

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...y-Scandal.html

"The flip side of that are the teams/players who do a great job of garnering extra possessions, my numbers tell me the Hornets and the Spurs do this best.

The best coach in the league (and its not even close) is Gregg Popovich.
He is without peer in terms of how well he manages a game, as well as prepares his team. It's really not even close, he is just that much better than every other coach in the league. If you are ever unsure of what the correct strategy is in a certain situation, look to the Spurs. If they are doing it, it's probably the right strategy.

There are a lot of coaches who do a poor job with what I call the mathematics of the game, but to be fair, maybe they are better at other aspects of their job like motivation or player development.

However, I have a hard time believing that Doc Rivers could ever make up for his in-game strategy with his ability to motivate or develop players. I would like to have seen how the Celtics would have fared this year if they didn't hire Tom Thibodeau to install a great defensive system. If Popovich is the guy you lean to if you are unsure of what to do, Rivers is certainly the guy you look to if you want to know what NOT to do."

But this was from 4 months ago! I want an updated look into this.