PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in the Kings of Leon?

ehz33satx
09-21-2008, 02:33 AM
They are one of the best American rock and roll bands going! They have opened for U2, Pearl Jam, and Bob Dylan. Check them out on youtube or myspace music if you want. I am sure you just might enjoy the heck out them. Peace!

DPG21920
09-21-2008, 03:59 AM
Very good band. I am going to see them in October with We Are Scientists

InRareForm
09-21-2008, 04:36 AM
yea, that sex on fire song is bad ass.

TV on the Radio is way cool too. DEAR SCIENCE SEPT. 23

Fat Bones
09-21-2008, 12:25 PM
In.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Imposter/kol.jpg (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=8554512)
http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=41543343,t=1,mt=video

When is San Antonio going to grow up and get a radio station that plays music like this, (besides during the occasional time allotment on KSYM)? Fuck man, KZEP plays the music I heard forty years ago when it was fresh and then only the same shallow cuts, KISS plays the same corporate rock and nu metal to teeny boppers, 97.7 just mimics kiss's playlist. At least a couple of low signal stations from New Braunfels, Castroville, and Kerrville play some decent music on occasion and show some ability to play different music from outside the box.

Mogwai has been playing for over twelve years and when I mentioned them I got no response from anyone here. Same with Russian Circles.

There is so much music we don't hear over the airwaves like: Cat Power. Keane. Pelican. Band Of Horses. Erykah Badu. Bell Orchestre. The Mercury Program. Tokyo Police Club. Vampire Weekend. Chromeo. The Crystal Method. Weezer. Jets Overhead. Super Furry Animals. Cire. Iron And Wine. Iota. Feist. Jack Conte. Tesa. Red Sparowes. CSS. UNKLE. Tribes of Neurot. Le Silo. Nightmares on Wax. The American Dollar. Black Rebel MotorcycleClub. Mugstar. My Education. The Mars Volta. Benoit Pioulard. The Ting Tings. Alabama Thunderpussy. The Evpatoria Report. Torche. Rodrigo y Gabriella. Jack Johnson. Soulwax. Maserati. The Melvins. Black Moth Super Rainbow. The Parlor Mob. Dead Confederate. Laura. Cornelius. Mooncake. Black Mountain. The Black Keys. The list is endless...Hell, the only cut that is played from Radiohead in town is Creep, and that was from 1992.

I remember when I was kid, KISS actually sought out new music and innovative artists. There really wasn't many stations out there like it. The majority of this market has rested on that legacy forever now.

http://www.youtube.com/v/d-MBhe5Wac8&hl=en&fs=1

I realize there will be those out there that don't like anything from the group listed above, and that the radio market is driven by money catering to the base, but San Antonio is way too big a market to be out the loop like this.

Ginofan
09-21-2008, 01:13 PM
When is San Antonio going to grow up and get a radio station that plays music like this, (besides during the occasional time allotment on KSYM)? Fuck man, KZEP plays the music I heard forty years ago when it was fresh and then only the same shallow cuts, KISS plays the same corporate rock and nu metal to teeny boppers, 97.7 just mimics kiss's playlist. At least a couple of low signal stations from New Braunfels, Castroville, and Kerrville play some decent music on occasion and show some ability to play different music from outside the box.

Mogwai has been playing for over twelve years and when I mentioned them I got no response from anyone here. Same with Russian Circles.

There is so much music we don't hear over the airwaves like: Cat Power. Keane. Pelican. Band Of Horses. Erykah Badu. Bell Orchestre. The Mercury Program. Tokyo Police Club. Vampire Weekend. Chromeo. The Crystal Method. Weezer. Jets Overhead. Super Furry Animals. Cire. Iron And Wine. Iota. Feist. Jack Conte. Tesa. Red Sparowes. CSS. UNKLE. Tribes of Neurot. Le Silo. Nightmares on Wax. The American Dollar. Black Rebel MotorcycleClub. Mugstar. My Education. The Mars Volta. Benoit Pioulard. The Ting Tings. Alabama Thunderpussy. The Evpatoria Report. Torche. Rodrigo y Gabriella. Jack Johnson. Soulwax. Maserati. The Melvins. Black Moth Super Rainbow. The Parlor Mob. Dead Confederate. Laura. Cornelius. Mooncake. Black Mountain. The Black Keys. The list is endless...Hell, the only cut that is played from Radiohead in town is Creep, and that was from 1992.

I remember when I was kid, KISS actually sought out new music and innovative artists. There really wasn't many stations out there like it. The majority of this market has rested on that legacy forever now.

I realize there will be those out there that don't like anything from the group listed above, and that the radio market is driven by money catering to the base, but San Antonio is way too big a market to be out the loop like this.

I've only heard a handful of artists on your list and I only discovered their music mostly by word of mouth. I agree, SA plays the same old mainstream music over and over again. When I was making weekly trips between seguin and SA I could at least get a signal for some Austin radio stations. Bottom line = SA radio stations SUCK, I'd rather listen to my iPod.

DieMrBond
09-21-2008, 11:51 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/

Click on listen... Australian radio station - plays pretty much all of that music you listed (with an emphasis on Australian music)

phyzik
09-22-2008, 12:03 AM
yeah, it pisses me off how KISS lays claim to "being the first to give AC/DC run time" and now they just play the same shit over and over. Lisle and Haghn need to STFU or say something about it instead of laying claim to past glories.

mrsmaalox
09-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Sirius is the only place to get that stuff.

Xylus
09-22-2008, 12:18 AM
I've tried to get into Kings of Leon several times, and even saw them live when they opened for U2, but I can't seem to do it. I like a song here and there, but I can't get past the vocals. They do nothing for me.

I've got "Sex on Fire" in my rotation, though. Great song.

Whoever mentioned TV on the Radio: I can't wait for their new album. Return to Cookie Mountain was excellent.

ehz33satx
09-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Very good band. I am going to see them in October with We Are Scientists

I bought my KOL tickets on presale the wednesday before friday that they went on sale to the general public. Me and my brother are taking the Amtrak to Austin saturday morning, coming back to San Antonio sunday night. We are going to have a blast! KOL are a kick ass rock band!

Nego
09-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Sirius is the only place to get that stuff.

i agree... thats usually where i hear the latest stuff.... Alt Nation is pretty good...

As for KOL...Caleb has a really interesting voice..

ATRAIN
09-22-2008, 12:49 PM
In.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Imposter/kol.jpg (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=8554512)
http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=41543343,t=1,mt=video

They Played a Black Rebel motorcycle club song last night on True Blood!!! It was awesome even though it was a song from their first cd.

DID you say Weezer with all those bands. Man in Austin they play the shit out of Weezer.

You have a good taste in Music Bones. Ive seen 75% of those bands you have listed live.

ATRAIN
09-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Anyone here like the Stereophonics? I have been listening to them along with the Black Keys a shitload.

JudynTX
09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Never heard of them.

ATRAIN
09-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Im going to see TV on the Radio at Stubb's!! I can't wait, it will make up for the last show I saw there which was a big disappointment.

ATRAIN
09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Never heard of them.

Well if your interested listen to their song called "Devil" which is on the CD Language, Sex, Violence, other.... which is my fav cd of theirs.

JudynTX
09-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Well if your interested listen to their song called "Devil" which is on the CD Language, Sex, Violence, other.... which is my fav cd of theirs.

I listened.

Nope, not my cup of tea.

ATRAIN
09-22-2008, 01:52 PM
I listened.

Nope, not my cup of tea.

what is?

Oh, Gee!!
09-22-2008, 02:32 PM
what is?

she's probably stuck in the '80's

DisAsTerBot
09-22-2008, 02:44 PM
s.a. has been that way forever....first and LAST to give AC/DC some spins........as for austin....101x is going down the same path as KISS (although not neatly as bad)......college radio and good ol live music is your best bet

Oh, Gee!!
09-22-2008, 02:49 PM
I think all the radio stations are going downhill cuz they're all owned by one or two conglomerates.

ATRAIN
09-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I think all the radio stations are going downhill cuz they're all owned by one or two conglomerates.

Yeah radio stations suck.

wut
09-23-2008, 09:49 AM
agreed.

leemajors
09-23-2008, 10:14 AM
austin radio has sucked since 98 or so. however, jamaican gold on sundays at 1 on 91.7 is the stuff. i just listen to 1300, and iPod when i want music.

ATRAIN
11-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Has anyone listened to the new Kings of Leon cd? Im going to check it out today. Sex on Fire has really grown on me.

ATRAIN
11-14-2008, 01:27 PM

Dear Science is fucking amazing!!

Thunder Dan
11-14-2008, 01:54 PM
I really like Kings of Leon- I've seen them live 5 times including this Halloween. I think their new album sucks though. I took it off my iphone 2 days after I got it off Itunes. There is maybe 3 good songs tops

TV on the Radio is awesome shit

ATRAIN
11-14-2008, 02:04 PM
I really like Kings of Leon- I've seen them live 5 times including this Halloween. I think their new album sucks though. I took it off my iphone 2 days after I got it off Itunes. There is maybe 3 good songs tops

what you listening too these days dan?

romad_20
11-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I liked their first 3 albums much more than the last one. The first album, Youth and Young Manhood, is some good southern tinged rock.

Another good album I've been into lately is Modest Mouse, The Fruit that Ate Itself.

I. Hustle
11-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Why? You selling them?

Thunder Dan
11-15-2008, 09:30 AM

mostly TV on the Radio and Radiohead bootlegs from this past summer's tour. I'm having trouble finding new things I like. I listen to 26 on Sirius and hear a bunch of stuff I like, but I always forget to write it down

leemajors
11-15-2008, 02:48 PM
mostly TV on the Radio and Radiohead bootlegs from this past summer's tour. I'm having trouble finding new things I like. I listen to 26 on Sirius and hear a bunch of stuff I like, but I always forget to write it down

try last.fm on your phone. good way to find new stuff.

spurs_2108
11-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Youth and Young Manhood is by far their best work IMO. I do enjoy the latest album though. The last half of the songs are really great.

Thunder Dan
11-18-2008, 02:01 PM

Oh I've also been listening to The Hold Steady's Stay Positive for the last month or so, it's really good

ATRAIN
11-18-2008, 02:07 PM

You know I really like 4 songs off the new cd the more I listen to it.

DisAsTerBot
11-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Another good album I've been into lately is Modest Mouse, The Fruit that Ate Itself.

any Modest Mouse pre "float on" is the shit!!!!

Fat Bones
11-18-2008, 02:33 PM
no problem, that wasnt my intention

Fat Bones
11-18-2008, 02:35 PM
And some of this....

Thunder Dan
11-18-2008, 02:38 PM
You know I really like 4 songs off the new cd the more I listen to it.

Here is my review of Only By The Night

It sounds like a band trying way too hard to create a hit and play stadiums, while still trying to not totally alienate their fanbase. I like Crawl, Manhattan, and Closer. Use Somebody sounds like the band is trying too hard to become U2, and I'm not sure if I'm just tired of Sex on Fire or if I really don't like it, though I did like it when it first came out so maybe it's the latter.

The song that starts off "She's only seventeeeeeen" makes me want to run my car into a telephone pole, as well as some of the others from the 2nd half portion of the album. The album seems like it's written for this formula: A) poorly create songs that mimic the songs people loved from last 3 albums (Manhattan, Notion, Cold Desert) B) write songs that that will break us into Top-40 stardom (Use Somebody, Sex on Fire) and C)* throw in some filler songs that just sound like shit, but we can't have an album of 7 songs (I Want You,17,Revelry)

That said, you still need to see them live when they come to your town because their shows are crawling with good looking women

*they have done this this on every album after Youth and Young Manhood

romad_20
11-18-2008, 03:28 PM
any Modest Mouse pre "float on" is the shit!!!!

True. I do like the newest album, though. Johnny Marr is the shit and really brought some new direction.

DisAsTerBot
11-18-2008, 03:51 PM
True. I do like the newest album, though. Johnny Marr is the shit and really brought some new direction.

good show tonight at beauty bar in austin....monuments and radioland murders!

MannyIsGod
11-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Man TV On The Radio is ridiculously awesome. I like a lot of the bands mentioned in this thread, though. Dancing Choose is probably my favorite song right now.

Thunder Dan
11-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Man TV On The Radio is ridiculously awesome. I like a lot of the bands mentioned in this thread, though. Dancing Choose is probably my favorite song right now.

I like DLZ, I think it is one of the best alternative songs in the last 5 years

leemajors
11-19-2008, 10:27 AM
i like tv on the radio's sound, i just don't fully get into the vocals. i did like the most recent one more than cookie mountain though.

Thunder Dan
11-19-2008, 11:27 AM
this thread is so annoying now thanks to Fat Bones' hijacking

romad_20
11-19-2008, 11:44 AM
this thread is so annoying now thanks to Fat Bones' hijacking

Yes, the pictures are a little annoying.

Speaking of hijacking this thread, I have a thread in the Geek zone about surround sound albums. It sounds like most of you are into music and I was wondering if you would take a look and give me any suggestions. Thanks :toast

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110051

DPG21920
11-19-2008, 05:20 PM
The Kings show in Dallas was good. I was disappointed in We are scientists. They usually rock, but they sucked.

spurs_2108
11-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm a big Modest Mouse fan. I got hooked with "Float On". I'm sure a lot of people did. I then went out and bought Moon and Antarctica and GNFPWLBN back in '04 around black friday. Then I slowly got into their older stuff and have been a fan ever since. The Lonesome Crowded West is their best IMO. Still haven't seen them live.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-20-2008, 07:44 AM
I wasn't much of a fan, but the dark edge to the latest album has me interested.

Many PackYao
11-20-2008, 01:34 PM
I've never even heard of these guys until I came to this board.To be honest, I thought they were some new tejano band just by looking at the name.:lol

atxrocker
11-24-2008, 03:17 PM
sex on fire is a damn catchy tune.

DisAsTerBot
11-24-2008, 03:41 PM
sex on fire is a damn catchy tune.

hell yeah!!! but 101x is playing the shit out of it...