PDA

View Full Version : A Movie Cliche I'd Like to Retire

Spurminator
02-10-2005, 11:39 PM
The "White Guy Who Thinks He's Black."

If I hear "Twinkle twinkle, baby" on TV one more time, I'm going to drive to Hollywood and assassinate Vince Vaughn. And it's a shame, because I like him.

T Park
02-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Swingers one of the best movies Ive ever seen, and he was hilarious in it.

I wouldn't hold it to him too bad.

Its not his fault TV likes to beat the fuck out of movies with commericals.

desflood
02-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Oh no, think of Dodgeball. It was genius. Don't kill him because of one crappy line!

Guru of Nothing
02-10-2005, 11:48 PM
I've just about given up on contemporary movies, even those precious indies.
If they are not trying to pick your pocket, they are one-trick attitude ponies (there are exceptions)

If you have Turner Classic Movies piped into your home, they are putting on a tour de force this month. I don't have specific details handy, but it's easy to find them on the web.

My DVR (all 40-65 hours) is maxed-out.

T Park
02-10-2005, 11:51 PM
You need a DVR with a DVD recorder.

TCM and FOX's classic movie channel are fantastic.

Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart. Fantastic actors.

Cary Grant never winning an Oscar is akin to one of the biggest crimes in mankind.

T Park
02-10-2005, 11:51 PM
If they are not trying to pick your pocket

Could you extrapulate on that point a little more??

Spurminator
02-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Good call, GoN... I just scheduled about 10 recordings for the next week. Raging Bull Friday night at 3:15 in the a.m.

And I'll finally see Dr. Zhivago.

Guru of Nothing
02-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Could you extrapulate on that point a little more??

In a word TPark, if a movie pimps products, they are picking your pocket (in a collectively speaking sort of way)

Guru of Nothing
02-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Good call, GoN... I just scheduled about 10 recordings for the next week. Raging Bull Friday night at 3:15 in the a.m.

And I'll finally see Dr. Zhivago.

I don't recall Dr. Zhivago on my list, but honestly, I have so many movies queued up, I can't remember them all. I've never watched Dr. Z either. Must go check "The Guide."

T Park
02-11-2005, 12:12 AM
OK gotcha.

What, for example, movies have done that lately??

I haven't seen a movie about how a Dyson vacuum saves family of 4 being advertised yet.

Of course, just like 99% of the time, I could be wrong.

Spurminator
02-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Shark Tale was a 90 minute commercial.

Thousands of examples of Product Placement disguised as a clever "Fishified" city.

Not that I saw it...

Worst Product Placement Movie? Do you remember "Mac & Me" in the 80's? About the aliens who landed on Earth and could only survive on Coke and Happy Meals?

desflood
02-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Shark Tale was a 90 minute commercial.

Thousands of examples of Product Placement disguised as a clever "Fishified" city.

Not that I saw it...

Worst Product Placement Movie? Do you remember "Mac & Me" in the 80's? About the aliens who landed on Earth and could only survive on Coke and Happy Meals?
Don't you remember ET and his Reese's Pieces fetish?

Spurminator
02-11-2005, 12:40 AM
Totally. The 80's were the worst for Product Placement. They at least incorporate less of it into the actual PLOT these days... Castaway's Fed-Ex package notwithstanding.

ZStomp
02-11-2005, 12:43 AM
The "White Guy Who Thinks He's Black."

If I hear "Twinkle twinkle, baby" on TV one more time, I'm going to drive to Hollywood and assassinate Vince Vaughn. And it's a shame, because I like him.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/be_cool/_group_photos/dwayne__the_rock__johnson2.jpg

Twinkle Twinkle baby, Twinkle Twinkle!

I can't wait until this movie comes out.