PDA

View Full Version : Report: Astros lash out about games in Milwaukee; Selig explains in ad

ATRAIN
09-22-2008, 07:09 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3601868

Houston Astros players are still upset about having to play the Chicago Cubs in Milwaukee following Hurricane Ike, and it doesn't sound like they'll be ready to move on any time soon.

"Major League Baseball has always valued the dollar more than they do the individual, the players and their families," Lance Berkman said, according to the Houston Chronicle on Sunday. "That's illustrated in things like playing through a lightning storm in Chicago [on Aug. 4].

"The most important thing is getting the game in so you don't lose the gate and you don't lose the revenue. That's A-No. 1. And then if in the course of that you can work it around where players aren't affected, that's a distant second. That's one reason why players try to exploit the system to the max because they know they're being treated the same way. That's a sad part of the game."

The Cubs won both of the games played at Milwaukee's Miller Park, including a no-hitter by Carlos Zambrano. Major League Baseball moved two of the scheduled three-game series to Milwaukee, saying the third game would be played in Houston on Sept. 29 if it were needed to determine postseason play.

But that olive branch wasn't enough for the Astros' Doug Brocail, who said it was obvious the name on the jerseys played a role in the decision.

"The thing is we had days at the end of the season that we could have played a single game plus a doubleheader if need be," Brocail said, according to the Chronicle. "And to make us go up and play at North Wrigley like we had to on no sleep, it was absolutely ridiculous. If it was New York or Boston, it would have been played at the end of the season.

"I truly believe that, and I think 99.9 percent of our teammates believe that. But no, we're the Houston Astros."

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig took out a full-page ad in Sunday's Chronicle, explaining the process behind the decision.

"In making the decision to play there, I recognized the advantage the Cubs would have in playing in such close proximity to Chicago and had there been a better option, I would have taken it," the ad read. "All of us involved in the decision regret the frustration the Astros and their fans felt about playing two games in Milwaukee.

"As Commissioner, my job is to balance many competing needs, while also finishing the season on time so the Postseason can begin as scheduled. Hurricane Ike disrupted many things, including the baseball schedule and I regret its impact on Astros fans. I have heard your complaints and I understand the impact this storm has had on the lives of Texans and Houston-area residents in particular.

"Sincerely,

"Allan H. (Bud) Selig

"Commissioner of Baseball"

Spurminator
09-22-2008, 09:23 AM
What would have been wrong with just playing at Round Rock or somewhere like that? I don't know if the dimensions at Minor League stadiums differ a lot from MLB stadiums, but it seems like a better option than Miller.

Of course, the best option would have been to postpone the games altogether. Oh well.

ATRAIN
09-22-2008, 09:39 AM
What would have been wrong with just playing at Round Rock or somewhere like that? I don't know if the dimensions at Minor League stadiums differ a lot from MLB stadiums, but it seems like a better option than Miller.

Of course, the best option would have been to postpone the games altogether. Oh well.

Yeah there could have been a better option but the best would have been to postpone.

Trainwreck2100
09-22-2008, 09:46 AM
In making the decision to play there, I recognized the advantage the Cubs would have in playing in such close proximity to Chicago

So he admits to giving the visiting team the advantage of home field in his first sentence

ATRAIN
09-22-2008, 10:00 AM
So he admits to giving the visiting team the advantage of home field in his first sentence

Yeah, guess he isnt hiding it.

leemajors
09-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Stop Whining Berkman, And Quit Sucking.

ATRAIN
09-22-2008, 10:21 AM

LOL yeah he was on pace for a GREAT season, dont know what happened to him these last few months.

Reggie Miller
09-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Berkman wet himself when MLB forced him to play in some lightning, and he's still bitching about it.

MLB doesn't like to postpone games because the baseball season is already seven months long. As we saw in this instance, when the NFL season arrives, it becomes increasingly difficult to find an open facility.

Reggie Miller
09-22-2008, 04:10 PM

It depends on the minor league stadium. Bosse Field here in Evansville is small enough that I used to hit the ball out the park (and into the parking lot) a few times a year in high school. OTOH, Mile High Stadium was once a minor league park.

The main differences are the facilities. I can't think of a single minor league stadium that has comparable clubhouses, media facilities (like camera pits), and parking/access to a modern MLB stadium.

MLB doesn't pospone games, and it has no real precedent of having done so in the past. The season is now 162 games and seven months long. If they started postponing games, it could be a real problem now that the NFL starts so ridiculously early.

Reggie Miller
09-22-2008, 04:31 PM

The Astros swept the Cubs at Wrigley Field Spetember 1-3, 2008. At that time, the Astros were playing well, and the Cubs were struggling. The big difference was not where the teams were playing, but how the teams were playing on September 14-15, 2008. Zambrano would have had a no-hitter if they had played the game on Mars that day. I think a big problem is that the Houston fans couldn't see that game. If you had seen the game, some of this bitching and belly-aching wouldn't be happening.

Another point that is being conveniently ignored is that the Cubs travel about 1,000x better than the Astros. Again, if those games had been played on Mars, there still would have been more Cubs fans there. If Foghorn Leghorn had just agreed to playing in St. Louis, the Astros would have gotten a much better break. (I can actually see Cardinals fans coming out to boo the Cubs.) Unfortunately, Foghorn Leghorn was too greedy.

I guess the Astros are so fragile that they couldn't emotionally recover until they played the Pirates. Or is it that Houston is really a mediocre team that got hot for a few weeks, then lost five in a row to two good teams?

Maybe the problem is that the Cubs are clearly superior to the Astros, and the Astros have struggled against Cubs' pitching all year.
Astros' Offense v. Cubs' Pitching: .218 BA, .280 OBP, .346 SLG, .626 OPS
Cubs' Offense v. Astros' Pitching: .267 BA, .311 OBP, .448 SLG, .759 OPS

Reggie Miller
09-22-2008, 04:36 PM
But that olive branch wasn't enough for the Astros' Doug Brocail, who said it was obvious the name on the jerseys played a role in the decision.

"The thing is we had days at the end of the season that we could have played a single game plus a doubleheader if need be," Brocail said, according to the Chronicle. "And to make us go up and play at North Wrigley like we had to on no sleep, it was absolutely ridiculous. If it was New York or Boston, it would have been played at the end of the season.

"I truly believe that, and I think 99.9 percent of our teammates believe that. But no, we're the Houston Astros."

Brocali is a fucking idiot. Hey Doug, the National League has been around for 132 years. Please name even ONE time that the NL has postponed an entire series until the conclusion of the regular season. Good luck...by the way.

Reggie Miller
09-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Again, I feel the need to apologize to the Houston fans here. I am a little bitchy about this issue myself. I frequent several Cubs' blogs and forums. The amount of douchebaggery from so-called "fans" of the Astros there has been off the charts.

Let's put it this way. I dare someone to watch the September 14, 2008 game and claim it should have an asterisk. The "asterisk" talk has me madder than a hive of hornets.

2 games out of 162 = 1.2% of the regular season. Think about it, won't you?

Spurminator
09-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Brocali is a fucking idiot. Hey Doug, the National League has been around for 132 years. Please name even ONE time that the NL has postponed an entire series until the conclusion of the regular season. Good luck...by the way.

9/11/2001-9/17/2001

Reggie Miller
09-22-2008, 07:14 PM
9/11/2001-9/17/2001

Sorry, I assumed we weren't counting that. I just blocked it out.

Players have died on game day before with no adjustment for crying out loud.

EDIT: This is still the only instance I can find, and it was a suspension of all play, not a relocation of a single series.

Spurminator
09-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Actually, as I recall, MLB did postpone the Cardinals game when Daryle Kile died... either way, it shouldn't be a big deal to postpone a series, or at least a couple of games, due to a hurricane of this magnitude. Every other person employed in Houston and Galveston had a week off, but MLB required its players to play the day after.

I don't know if I buy that this wouldn't have happened to the Yankees or Red Sox, but I can bet there would have been a lot more national uproar/debate about it. Still, like I've said before, I don't think the Astros were Playoff bound anyway.

Reggie Miller
09-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Actually, as I recall, MLB did postpone the Cardinals game when Daryle Kile died... either way, it shouldn't be a big deal to postpone a series, or at least a couple of games, due to a hurricane of this magnitude. Every other person employed in Houston and Galveston had a week off, but MLB required its players to play the day after.

I don't know if I buy that this wouldn't have happened to the Yankees or Red Sox, but I can bet there would have been a lot more national uproar/debate about it. Still, like I've said before, I don't think the Astros were Playoff bound anyway.

Just checked. It was delayed. I am going to quit while I am behind...

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Yes, MLB should have moved the games until the end of the season. Weather games have been moved until deeper in the season or at the end of the season and played if they have playoff implications.

Yes, it had to suck really hard to travel up there and play with all the craziness and worries about families/friends.

Yes, MLB wants the gate. For Brocail to assume that MLB doesn't want to have something for his $15K/game salary is idiotic.

Yes, the Astros seem pretty whiny to make such a big thing about it now after so many days.

Reggie Miller
09-22-2008, 07:40 PM

My incompetence has undermined my point somewhat, but MLB just doesn't do that. I still can't find a single example of an entire series (and just that one series) being delayed until after the regular season. As we all know, MLB goes to great lengths to avoid this, including the dreaded twi-night double header, making teams travel all over the place on a mutual off day, etc.

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been a fair solution. I was just trying to say that there really isn't much precedent (if any) for handling it that way.

I would have to agree that there should be some collectively bargained solution. Other teams have been screwed in the past, including the Cubs.

Mad_Hatter
09-23-2008, 12:36 AM
im tired of hearing about it now. whoever made the shirts (think it was hawkins) should be slapped. being swept by the marlins hurts a hell of a lot more than the 2 games in chicago... which has a built in excuse. instead of getting back to ball they continue to bitch.
this is why the astros need a leader... instead of making shirts and bitching they would be playing good ball again. berkman is supposedly the leader but is the biggest whiner.
STFU and play.

with that said astros still have shot at WC. sweep the reds and it will be real interesting.

K-State Spur
09-23-2008, 12:59 AM
"Major League Baseball has always valued the dollar more than they do the individual, the players and their families," Lance Berkman said

Well, they and the players should get along splendidly.

I'm all for baseball players getting every dollar possible, but you don't get to turn around and talk about other people's greed in the aftermath.

K-State Spur
09-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Yes, the Astros seem pretty whiny to make such a big thing about it now after so many days.

Not to mention that there are a lot of people who are dealing with much bigger issues because of this hurricane than having to play a couple of baseball games in Milwaukee.

ATRAIN
09-23-2008, 08:46 AM
The way I see it they should have put off the series and figured it out after that. Like Mad hatter said the series against the Marlins hurt a lot more and had we wont that series we would be a hell of a lot closer. I stand by against what MLB did to the astros not as a astros fan but as a mlb fan. Had that happen to any other team I would be pissed about it as well. I have a lot of friends that are cubs fans and they agree. It was wrong for the MLB to make them "forget" about the hurricane and make them play the day after. I know their frame of mind wasnt into the game. Should they still be bitching about it.......NO it is what it is so what is the use of bitching. What they need to do is win out and use this as motivation and try to sneak into the wc.

ATRAIN
09-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Again, I feel the need to apologize to the Houston fans here. I am a little bitchy about this issue myself. I frequent several Cubs' blogs and forums. The amount of douchebaggery from so-called "fans" of the Astros there has been off the charts.

Let's put it this way. I dare someone to watch the September 14, 2008 game and claim it should have an asterisk. The "asterisk" talk has me madder than a hive of hornets.

2 games out of 162 = 1.2% of the regular season. Think about it, won't you?

LOL I thank you for the appology. Every team has douchebag fans in every sport. I am guilty of that myself at times but its usually done in defense or when someone strikes a nerve. Ex. (some)Rangers fans for some reason like to talk shit to me, or the perfect example is a lot of Cowboys fans. I have "friends" that are cowboys fans that texted me sunday just to say the Texans suck after they lost and that I should bow down to the cowboy greatness and what not. Yeah its not secret that I dont dislike the cowboys or the majority of their fan base but I wouldnt do that to them had the roles been reversed. Reggie my apologies for the douche fans, if they were real fans at all. On boards and forums you can never tell if its just someone trolling just to piss people off.

Reggie Miller
09-23-2008, 09:13 AM
LOL I thank you for the appology. Every team has douchebag fans in every sport. I am guilty of that myself at times but its usually done in defense or when someone strikes a nerve. Ex. (some)Rangers fans for some reason like to talk shit to me, or the perfect example is a lot of Cowboys fans. I have "friends" that are cowboys fans that texted me sunday just to say the Texans suck after they lost and that I should bow down to the cowboy greatness and what not. Yeah its not secret that I dont dislike the cowboys or the majority of their fan base but I wouldnt do that to them had the roles been reversed. Reggie my apologies for the douche fans, if they were real fans at all. On boards and forums you can never tell if its just someone trolling just to piss people off.

These folks were so vehement that it never occurred to me that it was just deliberate trolling. That's very possible. I hope that is the case in a way, because otherwise, there are some very delusional people out there with screwed up priorities.

One more parting shot at Lance Berkman:

Just like my two year old nephew, Lance is apparently terrified of lightning. Actually, my nephew doesn't attempt to run away from a storm...

“Major League Baseball has always valued the dollar more than they do the individual, the players and their families,” Lance Berkman said. “That’s illustrated in things like playing through a lightning storm in Chicago (on Aug. 4)."

Uh, Lance, the storm started after the game was officially in the books. In other words, the Cubs had already made their gate money. I'm not sure when they cut off beer sales, but I doubt that was at issue. Apparently, Lance doesn't understand that some teams feel an obligation to give people what they paid for (a complete nine inning game).

ATRAIN
09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
These folks were so vehement that it never occurred to me that it was just deliberate trolling. That's very possible. I hope that is the case in a way, because otherwise, there are some very delusional people out there with screwed up priorities.

Just like my two year old nephew, Lance is apparently terrified of lightning. Actually, my nephew doesn't attempt to run away from a storm...

“Major League Baseball has always valued the dollar more than they do the individual, the players and their families,” Lance Berkman said. “That’s illustrated in things like playing through a lightning storm in Chicago (on Aug. 4)."

Uh, Lance, the storm started after the game was officially in the books. In other words, the Cubs had already made their gate money. I'm not sure when they cut off beer sales, but I doubt that was at issue. Apparently, Lance doesn't understand that some teams feel an obligation to give people what they paid for (a complete nine inning game).

LOL well I was watching that game (as I do most of the games if they are showing) and the storm was barely coming in. It was like the 6th or 7th, or 8th inning when i happened. I remember Hawkins was on the mound and then there was a lound thunder and Berkman bolted to the dugout hahaha. Everyone else was looking like wtf where you going, and at that time they called the game. Berkman is my boy but he just needs to shut up and play ball.

Mad_Hatter
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM

you want to talk trolling? shoulda went to the astros forum after the cubs games... every other post was a cubs troll spewing complete nonsense and disrespect.

and berkman lost a sister in-law or cousin or someone from being struck by lightning.
the game was suspended what an hour and half? before it was resumed? it would have been called earlier if the cubs were winning and dont even try to say other wise.

Reggie Miller
09-23-2008, 12:27 PM
LOL well I was watching that game (as I do most of the games if they are showing) and the storm was barely coming in. It was like the 6th or 7th, or 8th inning when i happened. I remember Hawkins was on the mound and then there was a lound thunder and Berkman bolted to the dugout hahaha. Everyone else was looking like wtf where you going, and at that time they called the game. Berkman is my boy but he just needs to shut up and play ball.

Look around the Wrigleyville area the next time ESPN or FOX has the game. (They make a big deal about showing the rooftops, while WGN obviously does not.) You'll see a lot of antennas and lightning rods in the area.

I wouldn't care to guess what the odds really are of being struck by lightning at ground level in a stadium filled with 30,000+ people. They would have to be astronomically long odds. (Please kill me for that pun.)

Reggie Miller
09-23-2008, 12:41 PM
you want to talk trolling? shoulda went to the astros forum after the cubs games... every other post was a cubs troll spewing complete nonsense and disrespect.

and berkman lost a sister in-law or cousin or someone from being struck by lightning.
the game was suspended what an hour and half? before it was resumed? it would have been called earlier if the cubs were winning and dont even try to say other wise.

1. Fair enough. I was banned from Crawfish Boxes for saying things way less offensive than anything I have said in this thread. (Basically, I pointed out that the Astros had just swept the Cubs at Wrigley.) A lot of other comments from Cubs' fans on that same thread were pretty bone-headed.

2. My cousin was killed due to the negligence of the Indianapolis P.D. (They hit her car at over 100 mph after entering into an unauthorized high speed chase, all over a stolen license plate.) The odds of a policeman running you or I over are much better than of anyone we know ever being struck by lightning. I'm sorry, but the "personal tragedy" angle just doesn't work for me here.

3. The chief of the umpiring crew makes the call. Personally, I would have shut it down, but that's his call to make. The Cubs don't pay his salary. There is an unwritten rule that you try to play as much as possible, probably more for television reasons than anything.

I'm not really sure where the fans of other teams get the idea that the umpires favor the Cubs. I can name several who obviously have some agenda against the Cubs, in fact. (Thank God Bruce Froemming finally retired.) Honestly, I don't think the umpires like calling games at Wrigley. The crowd can be obnoxious, and the facilities flat out suck.

EDIT: It never occurred to me until just now, but I wonder if the umpire's decision to call a game and when takes into consideration crowd control and safety. That is, maybe they deliberately don't encourage people to empty out the stadium and hit the road in the middle of bad weather. Just a thought.

Mad_Hatter
09-23-2008, 06:12 PM
its not so much the lightning as tornado warnings and winds which can pick up debris and cause serious injury.

Reggie Miller
09-23-2008, 11:22 PM
its not so much the lightning as tornado warnings and winds which can pick up debris and cause serious injury.

The Cubs organization has locked the gates and prevented people from leaving at least once this year. That was the gale/tornado warning back on August 12, 2008, against the Braves. I was greatly relieved that I did not go to that game, because I had the opportunity to grossly overpay for two tickets in the LF bleachers.

Mad_Hatter
09-24-2008, 12:34 AM
the Cubs are the best organization ever. MLB is lucky to have them.

Reggie Miller
09-24-2008, 08:30 AM
the Cubs are the best organization ever. MLB is lucky to have them.

Both your sense of irony and sarcasm are duly noted and appreciated.

My point was quite the opposite.

Imagine if you will:

1. Paying about $175 for two crappy LF seats.
2. Driving for 300 miles to Chicago.
3. Putting up with being surrounded with guys named Chad, Sully, and/or Cole for an indeterminate period.
4. Getting rained out.
5. Being informed that the gates are locked, thereby robbing you of your freedom to start driving south (out of the storm) and get a head start on the 300 mile return trip.

I probably would have had to be tased, had I gone.

EDIT: I hate Wrigley. I actually prefer the Cell.

Mister Sinister
09-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Both your sense of irony and sarcasm are duly noted and appreciated.

My point was quite the opposite.

Imagine if you will:

1. Paying about $175 for two crappy LF seats.
2. Driving for 300 miles to Chicago.
3. Putting up with being surrounded with guys named Chad, Sully, and/or Cole for an indeterminate period.
4. Getting rained out.
5. Being informed that the gates are locked, thereby robbing you of your freedom to start driving south (out of the storm) and get a head start on the 300 mile return trip.

I probably would have had to be tased, had I gone.

EDIT: I hate Wrigley. I actually prefer the Cell.
I can't stand either of them anymore. Cubs fans piss me off too much for me to enjoy the classic nature of Wrigley, and the Cell, my *GOD*, the Cell. Ugh. This is why I go up to Miller Park every so often.

Reggie Miller
09-24-2008, 10:11 PM
The Cell is just like any other park if you have good seats. Parking is sketchy as hell, but I have never had any problems. Again, I had good seats with the local gentry, as it were.

I hate Miller Park just because my experience has been "Wrigley North." Both times I went to see the Cubs, I was surrounded by drunken Cubs' fans and very hostile, drunken Brewers' fans.

I prefer the old Busch Stadium, believe it or not.

EDIT: Turner Field and the GAP (Cincy) are nice modern parks that don't assault you with a bunch of crap. The new Busch Stadium is way too damn "busy." There is some sort of scoreboard or moving ad wherever the eye can see.

FromWayDowntown
09-25-2008, 01:00 AM
I guess we might get a chance to put the favoritism hypothesis and the urgency for finishing the regular season on time this weekend. The Mets are scheduled to close at home, but the weather in NYC is supposed to be pretty bad -- not hurricane bad, but bad nonetheless. If MLB is hellbent on finishing the season on time, will the Mets' weekend games be moved to another location to ensure that there's no delay in starting the playoffs on time? Or will, as some of the Astros have suggested, MLB do the Mets a favor, wait for the weather to pass, and play the games as the conditions permit?

Reggie Miller
09-25-2008, 01:37 PM
I guess we might get a chance to put the favoritism hypothesis and the urgency for finishing the regular season on time this weekend. The Mets are scheduled to close at home, but the weather in NYC is supposed to be pretty bad -- not hurricane bad, but bad nonetheless. If MLB is hellbent on finishing the season on time, will the Mets' weekend games be moved to another location to ensure that there's no delay in starting the playoffs on time? Or will, as some of the Astros have suggested, MLB do the Mets a favor, wait for the weather to pass, and play the games as the conditions permit?

The problem is that it's not exactly a comparable situation. For example, let's say you are able to get one or two of the games in at New York. However, you know #3 is a lost cause. Waiting a day and finishing that one game would also make sense, since it is the last game of the season.

I think your point is a valid one, though. If the forecasts are correct, they won't be able to weasel around like I just explained above. They will have to take some drastic action.

FromWayDowntown
09-25-2008, 03:18 PM
The problem is that it's not exactly a comparable situation. For example, let's say you are able to get one or two of the games in at New York. However, you know #3 is a lost cause. Waiting a day and finishing that one game would also make sense, since it is the last game of the season.

I think your point is a valid one, though. If the forecasts are correct, they won't be able to weasel around like I just explained above. They will have to take some drastic action.

I know we're basically in agreement, and I understand that there's a built-in makeup day (in essence) on Monday -- a day to allow for playoffs and things like that. Conceivably, if you could get in tonight's game and Sunday's game, you could get in a double-header on that Monday; but if the Mets and Brewers (or Phillies) end up in a tie, the problems that baseball cited to move the Astros exist in spades.

I don't think any of that would have been a problem if MLB hadn't decided to move the Astros games. The problem is, of course, that the perception that MLB favors teams from New York or other similar markets will be raised if weather threatens a timely end to the season and those games aren't moved. I don't think the league can say that it learned from the mistake of moving Astros/Cubs, either -- I'm not particularly an Astros fan, but as a baseball fan, a different result for the Mets strikes me as a wholly unsatisfactory decision.

Basically, they've got to get 4 games in over the next 4 days. The 10-day forecast for Flushing calls for an 80% chance of rain today, 100% on Friday, and 90% on Saturday. Obviously, the inherent problems that come with a direct strike by a full hurricane aren't there, but Shea doesn't have a roof and there's no way to play baseball legitimately in a downpour -- and a downpour seems inevitable. If there's a rainout tonight (CHI @ NYM), they can't play a double-header on Monday unless it's a double-header that involves a game with the Mets and Cubs and a second game, if necessary, between the Mets and Marlins.

If today and tomorrow are rained out, Selig is going to be in a really bad spot.

Reggie Miller
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
I know we're basically in agreement, and I understand that there's a built-in makeup day (in essence) on Monday -- a day to allow for playoffs and things like that. Conceivably, if you could get in tonight's game and Sunday's game, you could get in a double-header on that Monday; but if the Mets and Brewers (or Phillies) end up in a tie, the problems that baseball cited to move the Astros exist in spades.

I don't think any of that would have been a problem if MLB hadn't decided to move the Astros games. The problem is, of course, that the perception that MLB favors teams from New York or other similar markets will be raised if weather threatens a timely end to the season and those games aren't moved. I don't think the league can say that it learned from the mistake of moving Astros/Cubs, either -- I'm not particularly an Astros fan, but as a baseball fan, a different result for the Mets strikes me as a wholly unsatisfactory decision.

Basically, they've got to get 4 games in over the next 4 days. The 10-day forecast for Flushing calls for an 80% chance of rain today, 100% on Friday, and 90% on Saturday. Obviously, the inherent problems that come with a direct strike by a full hurricane aren't there, but Shea doesn't have a roof and there's no way to play baseball legitimately in a downpour -- and a downpour seems inevitable. If there's a rainout tonight (CHI @ NYM), they can't play a double-header on Monday unless it's a double-header that involves a game with the Mets and Cubs and a second game, if necessary, between the Mets and Marlins.

If today and tomorrow are rained out, Selig is going to be in a really bad spot.

I've almost gotten used to the obvious favoritism to NY teams, to be honest. Remember the 1999 Finals? The NBA was more than prepared to have the Spurs play without a working shot clock. How about the Saints' "home" game at the Meadowlands? Would we have any sort of instant replay in baseball at all if the Mets and Yankees hadn't raised holy hell?