PDA

View Full Version : CBSSportsline: Top 20 Shooting Guards, Manu and the Spurs "2 year window"

Allanon
09-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Manu at #4 sounds about right, I think he'd be higher if he hadn't hurt himself. It's always funny to see the 6th man being ranked so high.

I know alot of you were interested in JR Smith, he does make the list at the bottom. He has skills but still too much immaturity (from what I've read)

Position rankings: Easy to see Kobe is top SG
Sep. 22, 2008
By Matt Steinmetz
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/basketball/nba/img10990450.jpgIs there really any doubt who the best shooting guard in the NBA is?

Assuming, of course, you're calling LeBron James a small forward. Which we are.

The Dwyane Wade we saw in Beijing is the choice for No. 2 behind Kobe Bryant at shooting guard. (Getty Images)
The Dwyane Wade we saw in Beijing is the choice for No. 2 behind Kobe Bryant at shooting guard. (Getty Images)
Kobe Bryant is often the NBA's best offensive player, sometimes its best defensive player and always its most feared. Bryant's ability to make big shots is obvious.

But he can shut down the opposing team's shooting guard, help out on the boards and always draws a double-team on offense.

In reality, the shooting guard list begins at No. 2.

1. Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers: He has mastered virtually every aspect of the game except how exactly to fit most effectively into the Lakers' offense. The question isn't whether he's the best two guard in the league. It's where he'll go down among the greats.

2. Dwyane Wade, Miami: He ranks second on this list for one reason and one reason only: He appears to be getting healthier while Manu Ginobili and Tracy McGrady appear to be wearing down.

3. Tracy McGrady, Houston: His inability to reach the second round of the playoffs is a significant blemish. But when he's healthy and at his best, few can play on his level. Facts are facts, though, and time is running out.

4. Manu Ginobili, San Antonio: This, of course, assumes Ginobili can return to form after his left ankle surgery. The Spurs' window seems to have two more years, tops. Or in other words, as many years as Ginobili, now 31, has left in his prime.

5. Joe Johnson, Atlanta: He has the versatility to play three positions, and his size precludes other teams from matching up against him with smallish guards. Johnson was a big-time scorer two years ago, averaging 25 points per game, and last year he reined it in some because he had more weapons around him.

6. Brandon Roy, Portland: Many on the East Coast are already late to the party when it comes to Roy. He's tough, strong, has size and is as fundamentally sound as they come. Roy had knee surgery in mid-August but is expected to be fine by the start of training camp.

7. Richard Hamilton, Detroit: Hamilton isn't as flashy or athletic as most of the other shooting guards on this list, but he defends and he's a winner. Hamilton has the reputation as one of the game's best midrange shooters -- and rightfully so. But how about Hamilton shooting 44 percent on 3-pointers last season?

8. Michael Redd, Milwaukee: There are no questions about Redd's ability to score, and particularly his accuracy from the perimeter. But his defense is so-so, he has never made it out of the first round of the playoffs and he hasn't proved he can make teammates better.

9. Allen Iverson, Denver: The only number that really matters with Iverson is shooting percentage. Surprisingly, he shot .458 from the field last season, his highest figure in the past 10 seasons. That's good on the one hand, not good on the other.

10. Ray Allen, Boston: Earning a championship ring put the exclamation point on a nice career. Only thing is, Allen still has a few years left. He's still pretty good, but nothing like he used to be.

11. Stephen Jackson, Golden State: Jackson can be erratic. He's prone to trying to do too much and turning the ball over. He's also not afraid to take the rushed 3-pointer. But when he's playing well, he defends, makes big shots and is the Warriors' emotional leader.

12. Kevin Martin, Sacramento: His unorthodox game is not easy to defend, and Martin is a master at drawing contact and getting to the line. But he had more turnovers than assists last season, sometimes is taken advantage of defensively and has yet to prove he can lead a team.

13. Jason Richardson, Charlotte: Over the course of his career, Richardson has become one of the better 3-point shooters. Last season he shot over 40 percent from beyond the arc. He also played in all 82 games after suffering a knee injury the season before. When he left the Warriors, toughness went with him.

14. Vince Carter, New Jersey: Once the league's most dynamic finisher, Carter is more perimeter-oriented these days, to say the least. He has taken just under 1,400 3-pointers in the past four seasons. He's not far from sixth-man territory.

15. Peja Stojakovic, New Orleans: There are legitimate concerns about Stojakovic's health, and he's never going to win any toughness awards. But give him any more than a split-second and he'll consistently hurt you from downtown.

16. Mike Dunleavy, Indiana: Dunleavy is no more a power forward than shooting guard, but he plays plenty of two with the Pacers. He benefited from leaving the Bay Area, finally shot the ball well from the field and averaged 19 points per game. Now, he has to put up nice numbers on a winner.

17. Jason Terry, Dallas: Terry is a knock-down perimeter shooter, and he has become a better defender since going to Dallas. Quietly, he has a nice little assist-to-turnover ratio, bordering on 3-to-1.

18. Ben Gordon, Chicago: He's undersized and he doesn't do much other than score. But score Gordon does, and there are times during the course of the season when he can carry you home in the fourth quarter.

19. Randy Foye, Minnesota: We're calling Foye a shooting guard because he plays alongside Sebastian Telfair. Foye needs to improve his shooting, but he takes on defensive challenges and finds ways to score.

20. J.R. Smith, Denver: Smith just edged out New York's Jamal Crawford for No. 20 on the list. Of course, Crawford's numbers are better than Smith's. Crawford is a big-minute starter and Smith comes off the bench. But if you give Smith a longer leash and some playing time, would he be any less effective than Crawford?

cpQwZC_ChcM

phyzik
09-22-2008, 04:49 PM
even without the injury I dont see how he could be placed much higher, maybe over McGrady but thats debatable. I think #4 is his spot and, like the article says, thats if he can get back to his former play after the surgery.

temujin
09-22-2008, 04:51 PM
There are four legitimate basketball players in this list.
Everyone else is just in for shooting and athletics contests.

mrspurs
09-23-2008, 07:43 AM
He's right Manu has 2 seasons left tops. And when Manu isnt playing well, he's a turnover machine. They shoulda traded him while they had the chance. For who I dont know, but someone young would be nice. Even without the injury, the NBA has figured Manu out and he's lost a step. Its a good thing he can shoot the 3 and pass the ball.

mathbzh
09-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Only four? Who are they?

polandprzem
09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVS_SYyXe8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVS_SYyXe8

temujin
09-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Only four? Who are they?

Bryant
Ginobili
Allen
Martin

There is so much more in basketball than just jumping-dunking and shooting.
Some of these guys in the list have problems with dribbling with the left hand.
Not to mention passing the ball.
I am generous not to mention defense, an horrendous word for a lot of folks in this list.
Simple things like that.

mathbzh
09-23-2008, 08:39 AM
So for you, TMac is just a shooter and/or an athlete?

I agree with what you say, but your list is so short... it is ridiculous.

OK TMac is also an athlete, but what about Dunleavy? He is a below average athlete but a good shooter, passer, has a good IQ, good footwork, is a solid passer and ball handler, his a smart defender...

Obstructed_View
09-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Kobe Bryant is a year younger than Manu and has been in the NBA a year longer than Tim Duncan. Not sure why Manu's "window" and durability are always so strongly questioned for any reason other than wishful thinking by fans of his opponents.

rascal
09-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Kobe Bryant is a year younger than Manu and has been in the NBA a year longer than Tim Duncan. Not sure why Manu's "window" and durability are always so strongly questioned for any reason other than wishful thinking by fans of his opponents.

Bryant is a far better player than manu and will be making a impact longer than manu. Manu has had more serious foot injuries the last couple of years.

nkdlunch
09-23-2008, 08:53 AM
2 year window sounds about right. for a title. it actually sounds on the positive side.

Supergirl
09-23-2008, 08:53 AM
I love how quick he is to dismiss Roy's knee surgery, but how dire he is about Manu's ankle surgery, despite the fact that far fewer players have come back to play as well after knee surgeries than those who have come back from ankle surgeries...

Supergirl
09-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Oh, and no one seems to think it's a big deal that Kobe has elected once again to postpone hand surgery, despite the fact that he was warned by doctors in the middle of last year to not wait. When his hand is broken and he can't shoot anymore (and there's a good chance this happens this coming season) everyone will act so surprised...

mathbzh
09-23-2008, 09:01 AM
About injuries, I will believe Wade is getting healthier after at least one season without major injuries.

Obstructed_View
09-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Bryant is a far better player than manu and will be making a impact longer than manu. Manu has had more serious foot injuries the last couple of years.

So one opinion, one prediction, and one incorrect fact. I'm really concerned now.

MrChug
09-23-2008, 10:43 AM
I hate HATE thinking that people still think T-Mac is some kind of difference maker. Sickening...

m33p0
09-23-2008, 11:51 AM
2 year window sounds about right. for a title. it actually sounds on the positive side.
me too. 2 years of chaos, manu-style.

mathbzh
09-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I hate HATE thinking that people still think T-Mac is some kind of difference maker. Sickening...

Who said he is a difference maker?

MaNuMaNiAc
09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
He's right Manu has 2 seasons left tops. And when Manu isnt playing well, he's a turnover machine. They shoulda traded him while they had the chance. For who I dont know, but someone young would be nice. Even without the injury, the NBA has figured Manu out and he's lost a step. Its a good thing he can shoot the 3 and pass the ball.

trying to outdo ducks in the hater department?

Manufan909
09-23-2008, 01:44 PM
I don't see how anyone could pick Manu after T-mac. Tracy might be the better athlete, but Manu all-around is the better player. And if he's going partly on injuries, T-mac should be in the top 5, not the top 3.

angelbelow
09-23-2008, 04:58 PM
decent list.

xellos88330
09-23-2008, 05:10 PM
I think the list is pretty accurate. Only one that seems debatable to me is T-Mac since he is more injury prone than pretty much every SG in the league, and cant get passed the first round of the playoffs.

xellos88330
09-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Manu vs. Kobe I believe can cancel each other out. They are both great athletes, and can score pretty much at will. I give Kobe the edge because he seems to have a better feel for the game flow. I love Manu, but I think he needs to get a bit smarter with his shot selection after the display he put on in the WCF.

Obstructed_View
09-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Lists are cute and all, but health being equal, I'll take Manu or Wade in a big game any day of the week over any two of the others.

SpurSupremacist
09-24-2008, 06:18 AM
14. Vince Carter, New Jersey: Once the league's most dynamic finisher, Carter is more perimeter-oriented these days, to say the least. He has taken just under 1,400 3-pointers in the past four seasons. He's not far from sixth-man territory.

Wow. Who writes this stuff? Last I checked, Carter averaged 21 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists per game last season. His numbers were far superior to McGrady's. The #3 SG on this list, that is actually put out by a professional broadcasting company nonetheless. Unbelievable. Carter goes no lower than #4 by anyone with any kind of sense. I'd probably rather have Manu, only because Carter is disinterested in defense, but I'd take him over McGrady any day of the week. As well as any player on that list other than Manu, Kobe and possibly Wade because of age factor.

SpurSupremacist
09-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Bryant
Ginobili
Allen
Martin

I am generous not to mention defense, an horrendous word for a lot of folks in this list.
Simple things like that.

Ray Allen? Are you serious? LOL

You're criticizing defense and you put Ray Allen onto this list.

Double-Up
09-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow. Who writes this stuff? Last I checked, Carter averaged 21 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists per game last season. His numbers were far superior to McGrady's. The #3 SG on this list, that is actually put out by a professional broadcasting company nonetheless. Unbelievable. Carter goes no lower than #4 by anyone with any kind of sense. I'd probably rather have Manu, only because Carter is disinterested in defense, but I'd take him over McGrady any day of the week. As well as any player on that list other than Manu, Kobe and possibly Wade because of age factor.

T-Mac is better than Ginobili based on most stats the past 3 years. Tracy also isn't as injury prone as people say...the past four seasons he's played 78, 47, 71, and 66 gms per season. Ginobili's never even averaged 20pts per game although he shoots a better percentage and does have the toughness and heart T-Mac lacks. Just look at the numbers...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3179/career;_ylt=As6x_og0ldahcn2ecaqG9wmkvLYF
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3380/career;_ylt=As6x_og0ldahcn2ecaqG9wmkvLYF

dirk4mvp
09-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Bryant
Ginobili
Allen
Martin

Simple things like that.

lol

how are you gonna say there is more to basketball than shooting, but then put Ray Allen on your little list there?

td4mvp21
09-24-2008, 02:04 PM

Kind of like how Duncan is aging and KG is a fucking fountain of youth, even though Garnett is the same age as Duncan and has played several more seasons in the NBA than Duncan.

Obstructed_View
09-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Kind of like how Duncan is aging and KG is a fucking fountain of youth, even though Garnett is the same age as Duncan and has played several more seasons in the NBA than Duncan.

Precisely. Duncan has been in "decline" for years, but they never mention Garnett's age.

SpurSupremacist
09-24-2008, 11:59 PM
T-Mac is better than Ginobili based on most stats the past 3 years. Tracy also isn't as injury prone as people say...the past four seasons he's played 78, 47, 71, and 66 gms per season. Ginobili's never even averaged 20pts per game although he shoots a better percentage and does have the toughness and heart T-Mac lacks. Just look at the numbers...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3179/career;_ylt=As6x_og0ldahcn2ecaqG9wmkvLYF
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3380/career;_ylt=As6x_og0ldahcn2ecaqG9wmkvLYF

When McGrady gets out of the first round, then we can talk about it. If he doesn't this year, with that stacked team, we can officially put him as the #1 overrated player in the league, somehow eclipsing Allen Iverson.

Obstructed_View
09-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Actually, don't bother with the numbers and focus on the text in bold.

Manufan909
09-25-2008, 07:57 PM
True, taking more shots does equal more points, good for you!

Plus you can't overlook Tim's years playing in college, plus the fact KG has had the whole summer to rest almost every fucking season, compared to Timmy making it to the 2nd round every year(not sure if he has ever been bounced in the 1st round, but I highly doubt it). When you have the best big man of this era on your team, you don't need to score 23 pts a game. Plus, Manu has been on star teams his entire career, he's never had to been the man, and I bet Tracy has played more withought Yao than with, unless they've been injured more over the same period of time than not.

m33p0
09-25-2008, 11:09 PM

minutes played, number of touches, PER, toughness and heart. Manu wins.

tp2021
09-26-2008, 12:03 AM

To be an elite player, you have to take your team to the promised land. T-mac is very talented. But he has never been out of the first round. Take a look at the 05 season. Manu made more big plays in those playoffs than T-mac has in his entire career. He was 1 vote away from sharing the Finals MVP trophy, which is pretty much the highest individual honor you can earn. T-Mac...has a scoring title.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Redd before AI? I doubt it

Manufan909
09-26-2008, 12:54 AM
To be an elite player, you have to take your team to the promised land. T-mac is very talented. But he has never been out of the first round. Take a look at the 05 season. Manu made more big plays in those playoffs than T-mac has in his entire career. He was 1 vote away from sharing the Finals MVP trophy, which is pretty much the highest individual honor you can earn. T-Mac...has a scoring title.

It's possible to share it?

temujin
09-26-2008, 05:56 AM
So for you, TMac is just a shooter and/or an athlete?

I agree with what you say, but your list is so short... it is ridiculous.

OK TMac is also an athlete, but what about Dunleavy? He is a below average athlete but a good shooter, passer, has a good IQ, good footwork, is a solid passer and ball handler, his a smart defender...

OK.

Dunleavy in, conditional though: I have to see him play a serious zone defense.

temujin
09-26-2008, 06:02 AM
Ray Allen? Are you serious? LOL

You're criticizing defense and you put Ray Allen onto this list.

Ray Allen has played some excellent defense that I watched, including this year.

I think he has proven that he belongs to the basketball players list and NOT to the circus list, as most of the others.

temujin
09-26-2008, 06:04 AM

McGrady is better than Ginobili in one single area.

Income.

And that doesn't include how the surplus income gets invested, probably.

temujin
09-26-2008, 06:05 AM
Redd before AI? I doubt it

You are right.

In the circus list Iverson comes before Redd.

temujin
09-26-2008, 06:08 AM
True, taking more shots does equal more points, good for you!

Plus you can't overlook Tim's years playing in college, plus the fact KG has had the whole summer to rest almost every fucking season, compared to Timmy making it to the 2nd round every year(not sure if he has ever been bounced in the 1st round, but I highly doubt it). When you have the best big man of this era on your team, you don't need to score 23 pts a game. Plus, Manu has been on star teams his entire career, he's never had to been the man, and I bet Tracy has played more withought Yao than with, unless they've been injured more over the same period of time than not.

Garnett rested for large parts of a lot of springtimes, actually.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-26-2008, 06:12 AM
You are right.

In the circus list Iverson comes before Redd.

2007-2008 Stats -

AI

PPG 26.4
RPG 3.0
APG 7.1
SPG 2.0
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.458
FT% 0.809
3P% 0.345
MPG 41.8

Redd

PPG 22.7
RPG 4.3
APG 3.4
SPG 0.9
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.442
FT% 0.820
3P% 0.362
MPG 37.5

Gimme AI over Redd anyday. Heck, Redd can't even get his team into the playoffs in the Leastern Conference.

temujin
09-26-2008, 06:32 AM
2007-2008 Stats -

AI

PPG 26.4
RPG 3.0
APG 7.1
SPG 2.0
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.458
FT% 0.809
3P% 0.345
MPG 41.8

Redd

PPG 22.7
RPG 4.3
APG 3.4
SPG 0.9
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.442
FT% 0.820
3P% 0.362
MPG 37.5

Gimme AI over Redd anyday. Heck, Redd can't even get his team into the playoffs in the Leastern Conference.

I will give you Iverson.

And I trust my eyes and knowledge better than statistics.

The basketball player to watch in a Nuggets game is Anthony. He'd be a critical player in an excellent team.
In fact, he was key for the US team in the Olimpics.
Iverson would be a major drawback in a good team and could only function in a circus team.

mathbzh
09-26-2008, 08:28 AM

You should just temper your posts, all players in the NBA but a bunch of athletic 7 footers are legitimate basketball players and all the players on that list are good/great basketball players.