PDA

View Full Version : Cubs' Fans: Inventing Conflict Where None Exists Since 1908

Reggie Miller
09-23-2008, 02:26 PM
After so many years of losing, it’s no wonder that your average Cubs’ fan is a little gun-shy. However, some of our fans just seem to be little emo wankers who are only in it for the angst. This breed of Cubs’ fan may have hit a new low this week.

Guess what the newest media-manufactured controversy is now…Give up?

There have actually been some tools on ESPN 1000 AM arguing that it was unfair of the Cubs to rest all of their “stars” on Sunday against the Cardinals, because…get this…"the fans had paid to see the star players." I think the host of the show even said something to the effect that “a lot of people bought tickets to the game hoping the Cubs would clinch on Sunday.”

My thoughts on this:

You play to win the game. The Cubs won with their AAA players that day, quite convincingly. If Charles Manson could turn the double play and post an OPS greater than .800, I’d only have one thing to say: “Don’t start any arguments over religion, Charlie. Oh, and don’t mention the Beatles around Ted Lilly. He goes fuckin’ insane.”

At 17 wins, Ryan Dempster still isn’t a “star?” What’s he need to do, date Mandy Moore? Fukudome was a star in Japan, isn't that worth something?

After seeing how much beer and champagne was consumed Saturday afternoon (not even mentioning later), did you really want your starters on the field for an early afternoon game? I'm almost surprised that Piniella made it to the ballpark. I bet he had his dugout with him in the dugout for a little total hangover cure.

The whole “a lot of people bought tickets to the game hoping the Cubs would clinch on Sunday” angle is pure bullshit. First of all, those tickets probably sold out on the first day of availability (last home game of the season, and against St. Louis?). If the Cubs had lost on Saturday, they still would have clinched, because Milwaukee lost. In fact, I was really worried that the Brewers/Reds game would end first. Thank God Lilly is a quick worker. In other words, if the Cubs had somehow tanked the game on Saturday, they still would have fielded a AAA team on Sunday.

I find it hard to believe that Piniella would ever deliberately tank a game under any circumstances. He's too old school, red-assed, and what have you. Also, everyone loves beating that punk-ass bitch LaRussa. It's just so satisfying...

There are millions of people in this very country who are homeless, and probably a few thousand of them are starving to death as we speak. If you want to worry about something, let's get a little focus there, Cubs' fans.