PDA

View Full Version : Marbury?

Fabbs
09-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Or i suppose he has to have starters minutes?

Do we even want him? Discuss.

I've got to say absolutely yes if the price is right. Figuring out minutes is a good problem to have. *Too much* depth is a good thing.

mrspurs
09-23-2008, 03:22 PM
He's the player who use to school TP. So bringing him in would be like bringing in Kurt. Who was schooled by TD. Neither will help us out.

xellos88330
09-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I think Marbury would be a bust. He has been spoiled for too long, and when he isn't being spoiled, he is causing problems in the orginization he is playing for. :nope

Marbury is talented, but the terrible thing about it, is that he knows he is. If he can somehow forget that he is a pretty good basketball player, it could quite possibly be a good thing.

Fabbs
09-23-2008, 03:28 PM
"Some People Change" the Kenny Chesney song. Marbury ready to share and win a Championship?

After he clears waivers he can recieve any of the following options, right?: vet minimum, remaining exception amounts or available cap space.

Where are Spurs on this front? ^^^

xellos88330
09-23-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm noobish, don't know where to get that info. I use my gut. :wakeup

Allanon
09-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Marbury being waived, he can pretty much take anything he wants.

I think he's more of a risk than Artest because of his rap for being so spoiled. Still, he does have skills and might be able to fit into the Spurs. Most of the Spurs are vets so I can't see him affecting the team much at all with his spoiled attitude.

Low risk, high reward. I can see him on Spurs, Warriors or Wizards as all 3 teams can use him. He'd fit best on the Spurs because of all the vets on the team, he'd probably screw up the Warriors.

AnotherArgie
09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Marbury broke a Oberto's finger in 2004, and Fab was yelling "son of a b*tch" at him from the bench. It's been a while now, but I don't know how well he would fit in the Spurs locker room.

Here's the video of the incident, at 4:30:

XBIJjIE1W9w

Sausage
09-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Van Exel part deux

Fabbs
09-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Marbury being waived, he can pretty much take anything he wants.
He can. But what can the Spurs offer?

Most of the Spurs are vets so I can't see him affecting the team much at all with his spoiled attitude. Isn't that why we have Michael Finley? For his great locker room presense and veteran leadership?:rollin Time for Duncan and co. to nutt up if they really are leaders. The Patriots took on the biggest baby of all time, Randy Moss and that worked out pretty well. 18-1 aint bad altho they couldnt finish it.

And what about the great players favorite coach Lord Poppycock*. Can't he get Marbury to fit in.
*according to 2005 polls conducted amoung tabacco chewers over the age of 30. And that was a womens only poll.

I'm not directing this at you Allanon at all. If the Spurs vets and Big 3 have any nutts at all they will keep any baby antics by Marbury in check.

Marbury broke a Oberto's finger in 2004, and Fab was yelling "son of a b*tch" at him from the bench. It's been a while now, but I don't know how well he would fit in the Spurs locker room. Get over it Fab. You sucked bad in last years playoffs.

xello888330
I'm noobish, don't know where to get that info. I use my gut. Thanks for sharing. It's what dbs are all about.

09-23-2008, 05:21 PM
if he REALLy wants a championship, joining the spurs will practically guarantee it. playing under 20 minutes backing up tp, winning a championship, and earning $21 million sounds good to me. marbury is still effective and young, unlike van exel. but he'll probably go to the heat where he can start.

The Franchise
09-23-2008, 05:35 PM
I just don't see the FO taking a chance on him. To much could go wrong.

bdictjames
09-23-2008, 06:21 PM
I see him as another Damon/Van Exel signing

v2freak
09-23-2008, 06:24 PM
He's got pretty good chemistry with Duncan from 2004 right? I say if he wants a championship for cheap, why not. It looks like scoring may be a problem for the Spurs this year.

jack sommerset
09-23-2008, 06:25 PM
I am just curious why anyone would think for one second Marybury would become a Spur.

Obstructed_View
09-23-2008, 06:57 PM
He's got pretty good chemistry with Duncan from 2004 right?
Yeah, that turned out great.

Fabbs
09-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Marbury broke a Oberto's finger in 2004, and Fab was yelling "son of a b*tch" at him from the bench. It's been a while now, but I don't know how well he would fit in the Spurs locker room.

Here's the video of the incident, at 4:30:

It happens so fast can't tell from angle if Marbury cheapshotted Fabs. Looks like an accident.

Sidepoint, at 4:25 good reason why Tim said screw FIBA.
Oberto all over him, no call.

SpurSupremacist
09-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Marbury >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> George Hill/Roger Mason

ElNono
09-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Hmmm, no... he's a chucker. And he will want to start.
Plus, he'll go for the money. Those cheap Marbury shoes don't sell that well.

Obstructed_View
09-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Sidepoint, at 4:25 good reason why Tim said screw FIBA.
Oberto all over him, no call.
No, if it were a good example of why Timmy was frustrated, it would have ended with Timmy getting whistled for an offensive foul.

duncan228
09-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Marbury headed out of New York? (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2008-09-23-notes_N.htm)
By Chris Colston, USA TODAY

What was anticipated all summer might become reality by week's end if, as Newsday reports, the New York Knicks waive Stephon Marbury. Because of taking the hit on the final year of Marbury's contract, worth $21.9 million, Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan has been reluctant to end the chaotic tenure of the veteran point guard.
Once Marbury clears waivers and a buyout is reached, he would be free to sign with any team. Reports in Newsday and South Florida news media included interest from the Miami Heat.

According to Newsday, which cited several persons with knowledge of the situation, Marbury has recovered from surgery in January to remove bone spurs in his left ankle, has worked out all summer and trimmed his playing weight to 200 pounds.

His best statistics in 41/2 seasons with the Knicks came in 2004-05, when Marbury averaged 21.7 points and 8.1 assists. Hs numbers have declined, while his feuding with management and teammates increased. The low point might have been in November, when Marbury missed a game in Phoenix without permission and returned to New York.

lurker23
09-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Just to throw in a conflicting report......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3605502

Knicks president says Marbury will be at camp; veteran Houston might, too

By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine
(Archive)

Updated: September 23, 2008, 10:04 PM ET

Pouring water on widespread speculation that the Knicks will waive Stephon Marbury, president Donnie Walsh said the controversial point guard will be with the team when it begins official workouts next week.

"He's coming to training camp," Walsh said of Marbury in a telephone interview Tuesday evening.

A newspaper report out of New York Tuesday morning said the Knicks are planning to waive Marbury by the end of the week. The move, which has been speculated about for months in the media, would eventually lead to a buyout of the $21.9 million Marbury is owed in the final year of his contract.

"This thing is initiated in the press and then I have to ask questions about it," Walsh said, sounding somewhat perturbed. "I haven't approached [Marbury] about a buyout."

When asked whether he's reached out to the point guard to alleviate concerns about his status with the team, Walsh said, "I talked to Stephon once and he seems OK about all of this."

Marbury is coming off the worst season of his 12-year career. He had a famous falling-out with his coach, president and one-time mentor Isiah Thomas, played in only 24 games because of injury, underwent surgery on his left ankle, and averaged career-lows in points (13.9), assists (4.7), rebounds (2.5) and minutes (33.6).

But at 31 years old, Marbury is still fairly young, and reports are that he spent the summer getting in the best shape he's been in in years.

Walsh also said former Knicks guard Allan Houston will probably join the team at training camp. He said Houston, 37, has been working out with the Knicks at their practice facility and that his shooting touch is as smooth as ever.

Walsh is going to meet with Houston on Wednesday to further discuss the situation. He would not guarantee Houston a spot on the roster, though.

"I don't know the answer to that," Walsh said, when asked whether Houston would definitely play for the Knicks this season. "But as far as putting the ball in the basket, he absolutely can still shoot. He has to be in more intense situations."

Houston is expected to sign a contract paying him the league minimum salary of $1.26 million for a player of 10 or more years experience, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. If he doesn't make the team, he will probably be retained in some front-office capacity.

If he does make the team, Houston, who wore No. 20 throughout his career, will wear No. 14 in honor of his dad Wade, who wore the number as the first African-American player at the University of Louisville.

Houston, who averaged 17.3 points over his 12-year career, was forced to retire in 2005 because of an arthritic left knee. He returned briefly last season before bowing out during the Knicks training camp.

Walsh said it will be different this time around.

"In that case, he hadn't worked out that much," Walsh said. "He just came in and started playing. Now, he feels like he's in better position to go out and play. I accept that."

The question is will New York still accept Marbury.

Chris Broussard is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Spurtacus
09-24-2008, 01:40 AM
Isiah is gone, but the Knicks continue to make dumb moves. Just let the guy go.

Obstructed_View
09-24-2008, 02:11 AM
It's not Tim or Marbury's fault that all star teams that are just put together 3 weeks before the olympics can't beat the teams around the world anymore. The reason the Nuggets are good but not contenders is the same reason the 2004 team lost the gold.

At issue is the use of the word "chemistry", which is a big reason Argentina beat the living snot out of the US, even if the refs hadn't been helping. Marbury's teams rarely have any kind of team chemistry, despite his immense talent.

AnotherArgie
09-24-2008, 02:35 AM
At issue is the use of the word "chemistry", which is a big reason Argentina beat the living snot out of the US, even if the refs hadn't been helping. Marbury's teams rarely have any kind of team chemistry, despite his immense talent.

So, what would you think about Marbury on the Spurs, taking into account his immense talent but troublesome character?

Obstructed_View
09-24-2008, 04:39 AM
So, what would you think about Marbury on the Spurs, taking into account his immense talent but troublesome character?

His immense talent couldn't overcome his troublesome character on the worst team in the NBA over the last several years, even with a general manager and coach who loved him as much as anyone. I think he knows that the Spurs are going to ask him to work and to be a team player, so there's no way he even returns their phone calls for the vet minimum. He's a no-risk option if he grows up and decides he wants to redeem himself, because the Spurs have a glut of guards and can send two of them to Austin to take his place if he fucks up.

Allanon
09-24-2008, 07:11 AM
He can. But what can the Spurs offer?
Guys like Starbury would only come to the Spurs for 1 reason, to win a ring. Spurs, I believe, still have the $5.5M mid-level exception (MLE) to offer him (same one they offered to Maggette). I don't know if he's matured enough to consider a ring the most important thing left in his career.

Exactly true about the very talented Marbury. Marbury's best years were with the Minnesota Timberwolves early on. He and KG made the Wolves extremely promising and then all of a sudden KG gets a massive contract and Marbury starts crying. It was a long time ago but he said something like "I can't live with the fact that KG makes that much more money than me". The Wolves could have been contenders for the last decade if Marbury hadn't said the town wasn't big enough for the two of them.

At this point, I don't think Marbury will be available for at least a month. Spurs will give Mason some heavy tryout time to sink or swim. If Mason can't provide that scoring punch I think the Spurs will be heavily in pursuit of Marbury.

Even with all his crying, conditioning issues and primadonna junk, Starbury is still a top 10 point guard. Well worth the MLE on a veteran team but I don't know if he's ready to take a back seat at age 31.

mrspurs
09-24-2008, 07:14 AM
I see him as another Damon/Van Exel signing

I aint rooting for Starberry. And his skills are nowhere near where they use to be. But noway can he be compared to damon/exel. Those 2 were way beyond their days. Starberry still has a season or 2 left. The other 2 were plain has beens. Put it this way. When damon/exel were on the floor, we stunk. I dont think that would happen with Starberry.

rapliketp
09-24-2008, 08:56 AM
After last season's blip can he mentally take it in the House of Pop?

SenorSpur
09-24-2008, 01:35 PM
OK. As much as I detest the notion, the Spurs could actually be player for Marbury's services, assuming he is released.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54517/20080924/marbury_could_end_up_with_heat_celtics_spurs_or_cl ippers/#

Not only will Stephon Marbury be at training camp next Tuesday in Saratoga, but so will Allan Houston. Again.

Houston has accepted the club's offer to attend training camp, two sources close to the former All-Star guard told The Post yesterday morning.

Meanwhile, Knicks president Donnie Walsh last night denied a report Marbury will be waived by week's end. Walsh said through a spokesman, "He is coming to training camp. We have not approached Stephon about a buyout."

However, there's a strong possibility Marbury could be released during camp, which would give Houston a better chance of making it. The Knicks will have 17 players, two over the maximum. Houston, who hasn't played a regular-season game since the 2004-2005 season when microfracture knee surgery cut short his career, would need to beat out Marbury and, ironically, his former teammate's son, Patrick Ewing Jr.

Last preseason, Houston, 37, lasted just one week and one game. He arrived a week late as he awaited his daughter's birth and didn't give himself a fair shot. In March, Houston told The Post he planned on a second comeback for 2008-2009, saying he felt his knees were stronger.

To change their culture, the Knicks have seriously considered a Marbury divorce since July after signing Chris Duhon and Anthony Roberson. The team prefers to work out a buyout settlement to avoid paying the Knicks guard the entire $21.9 million haul.

A team source said Marbury's departure thus could become complicated because ownership doesn't want to give Marbury $21.9 million to play for conference rival Miami. The Knicks could hold Marbury hostage through camp if he doesn't agree to a settlement.

Reached yesterday by The Post, Marbury said he hasn't been approached by the club and attended its voluntary workouts Monday. Marbury, down to less than 200 pounds, said he's in the best shape of his career and claimed the only thing Walsh said to him Monday was, "You look great."

Marbury, who could wind up in Miami, Boston, San Antonio or the Clippers, said he has no desire to work out a settlement.

"There wouldn't be no negotiation," Marbury said. "They're going to give me all my money. ... If they want to waive me and give me all my money, fine. If not, I'll try to help this organization win the championship. They told me to come to camp in the best shape of my life and I did that. But I don't want to be in a place I'm not wanted."

DPG21920
09-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Guys like Starbury would only come to the Spurs for 1 reason, to win a ring. Spurs, I believe, still have the $5.5M mid-level exception (MLE) to offer him (same one they offered to Maggette). I don't know if he's matured enough to consider a ring the most important thing left in his career.

Exactly true about the very talented Marbury. Marbury's best years were with the Minnesota Timberwolves early on. He and KG made the Wolves extremely promising and then all of a sudden KG gets a massive contract and Marbury starts crying. It was a long time ago but he said something like "I can't live with the fact that KG makes that much more money than me". The Wolves could have been contenders for the last decade if Marbury hadn't said the town wasn't big enough for the two of them.

At this point, I don't think Marbury will be available for at least a month. Spurs will give Mason some heavy tryout time to sink or swim. If Mason can't provide that scoring punch I think the Spurs will be heavily in pursuit of Marbury.

Even with all his crying, conditioning issues and primadonna junk, Starbury is still a top 10 point guard. Well worth the MLE on a veteran team but I don't know if he's ready to take a back seat at age 31.

The Spurs do not have the MLE. They gave a significant portion to Roger Mason when the Maggette deal fell through. So they have what is left over of the MLE (~1.9 M) and the LLE (~1.9 M).

Spurs Brazil
09-24-2008, 03:12 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8600170/Knicks-bring-in-Houston,-keep-Marbury-for-now?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=73

Knicks bring in Houston, keep Marbury for nowby MARC BERMAN, New York Post

Updated: September 24, 2008, 8:52 AM EST 10 comments add this RSS blog email Print Not only will Stephon Marbury be at New York Knicks training camp next Tuesday in Saratoga, but so will Allan Houston. Again.
Meanwhile, Knicks president Donnie Walsh denied a report Marbury will be waived by week's end. Walsh said through a spokesman, "He is coming to training camp. We have not approached Stephon about a buyout."

However, there's a strong possibility Marbury could be released during camp, which would give Houston a better chance of making it. The Knicks will have 17 players, two over the maximum. Houston, who hasn't played a regular-season game since the 2004-2005 season when microfracture knee surgery cut short his career, would need to beat out Marbury and, ironically, his former teammate's son, Patrick Ewing Jr.

Last preseason, Houston, 37, lasted just one week and one game. He arrived a week late as he awaited his daughter's birth and didn't give himself a fair shot. In March, Houston told The Post he planned on a second comeback for 2008-2009, saying he felt his knees were stronger.

To change their culture, the Knicks have seriously considered a Marbury divorce since July after signing Chris Duhon and Anthony Roberson. The team prefers to work out a buyout settlement to avoid paying the Knicks guard the entire $21.9 million haul.

A team source said Marbury's departure thus could become complicated because ownership doesn't want to give Marbury $21.9 million to play for conference rival Miami. The Knicks could hold Marbury hostage through camp if he doesn't agree to a settlement.

Reached yesterday by The Post, Marbury said he hasn't been approached by the club and attended its voluntary workouts Monday. Marbury, down to less than 200 pounds, said he's in the best shape of his career and claimed the only thing Walsh said to him Monday was, "You look great."

Marbury, who could wind up in Miami, Boston, San Antonio or the Clippers, said he has no desire to work out a settlement.

"There wouldn't be no negotiation," Marbury said. "They're going to give me all my money. ... If they want to waive me and give me all my money, fine. If not, I'll try to help this organization win the championship. They told me to come to camp in the best shape of my life and I did that. But I don't want to be in a place I'm not wanted."

With the new regime of Walsh and coach Mike D'Antoni, Houston zeroed in on the Knicks, with the potential of becoming a special adviser if his tryout fails.

td4mvp21
09-24-2008, 03:19 PM
He's better than any backup PG we have now, at least offensively...Not sure about his attitude/defense though.

temujin
09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
One of the wort characters in world's professional sport

Waiving Marbury is one of the best moves the Knicks ever made.

temujin
09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
One of the worst characters in the world's professional sport business.

Waiving Marbury is one of the best moves the Knicks ever made.

HarlemHeat37
09-24-2008, 08:05 PM
character guys are overrated IMO..if Marbury messes up, we release him..he isn't going to be getting a big contract..I don't think he would mess up though..the guy is trying to prove himself, he's trying to show that he's matured..he has to show the whole league that he can still play, and he has to make the Knicks regret releasing him..

I'm not a fan of his at all, but I live in NY, and the guy is a fan favorite when his game is on..he's good for the community when he's happy..and best of all, he STILL has talent..he's still an upgrade for our team..I'd take the chance..

having Marbury and Ginobili off the bench would be disgusting..that's instant offense, and that's obviously something we need..

Big P
09-24-2008, 08:13 PM
character guys are overrated IMO..if Marbury messes up, we release him..he isn't going to be getting a big contract..I don't think he would mess up though..the guy is trying to prove himself, he's trying to show that he's matured..he has to show the whole league that he can still play, and he has to make the Knicks regret releasing him..

I'm not a fan of his at all, but I live in NY, and the guy is a fan favorite when his game is on..he's good for the community when he's happy..and best of all, he STILL has talent..he's still an upgrade for our team..I'd take the chance..

having Marbury and Ginobili off the bench would be disgusting..that's instant offense, and that's obviously something we need..

:tu

temujin
09-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Marbury is the ultimate looser.

Walsh is really cleaning up the mess.

Knicks in the ECF in 3 years.
Maybe 2 with a Lebron James-For-Nothing "trade" a-la-Gasol.

Dramon
09-25-2008, 06:05 PM
But seriously, you guys do realize that there's no way he'd sign with the Spurs for cheap? Right?

ManuTastic
09-25-2008, 07:24 PM
I am just curious why anyone would think for one second Marbury would become a Spur.

My question exactly.

Obstructed_View
09-25-2008, 07:42 PM
His offense was so impressive with the Knicks that they're considering paying him to go away.

m33p0
09-25-2008, 11:14 PM
But seriously, you guys do realize that there's no way he'd sign with the Spurs for cheap? Right?
even if he's for free, no way.:ihit:ihit:ihit

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-26-2008, 04:47 AM
Marbury is a nutcase, truly insane. Haven't you heard the crazy shit he's been spewing over the last 18 months?

No way our FO would sign him if they wouldn't go for Artest, because... *gulp* ...Artest is SANER than Marbury, no shit.

NO.

Allanon
09-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Looks like the Knicks are gonna give Marbury another chance but this whole thing isn't looking pretty:
Marbury worked out like crazy during the offseaon and he's back in superb shape.
Knicks might be waiting for other teams to settle in before they cut Marbury...like him or not, he's extremely talented and tons of teams will be looking for him if he's cut
Marbury's kind of angry but at the same time, I think he know's he has to ball this year or the gravy train (in the next contract) will be gone. I don't doubt that he loves stardom in New York...he's not willing to give that up now that it can become a reality
Oh, and no way in hell will he come off the bench in New Yor

MARBURY TO KNICKS: MAKE UP YOUR MIND (http://www.nypost.com/seven/09262008/sports/knicks/marbury_to_knicks__make_up_your_mind_130867.htm))
by Marc Berman

Stephon Marbury Stephon Marbury told The Post yesterday if the club already has decided to waive him before the season opener, team president Donnie Walsh should do it now and not prolong the saga.

Marbury wants to stay with the Knicks New York Knicks , but doesn't want to be a lame duck when the Knicks kick off training camp in Saratoga Springs. Sources said yesterday, however, Walsh is giving Marbury a legitimate chance to stick with the team. Owner James Dolan may be unwilling to eat $21.9 million until he sees him in action.

The Knicks point guard took his physical yesterday at the Westchester practice facility and was told to be ready for Tuesday's training camp at Skidmore College. Nobody from the organization has told him he will not be part of the season. But they also haven't told him to ignore the media reports, stating he's toast and hopes he's not being kept on as a negotiating tactic.

"If I'm a distraction and I'm all these different things, why would you want to keep somebody like that?" Marbury asked. "It can't be about the money. If you feel you're better without me, just let me go. If not, let's get down to the business of playing basketball. We shouldn't be talking about me getting waived or not. We should be talking about bringing playoff life back to the Garden like when I got here (in 2004)."

Marbury said he is concerned about becoming a distraction during training camp.

"We need to concentrate on how we're going to win, not whether I'm getting waived or if I'm getting all my money," Marbury said.

One conspiracy theory is Walsh and Mike D'Antoni are waiting so Marbury would have less of a chance to adjust to a new team, which could turn out to be conference rival Miami. The Knicks' season opener is against the Heat Oct. 29 at the Garden.

The other possibility is because Marbury reported under 200 pounds (197) and is in terrific shape, the Knicks feel his trade value could increase during the preseason. For that matter, they may have decided to keep him for that reason. Marbury, who hasn't been this light since his playing days at Lincoln High, has one year and $21.9 million left on his pact.

Walsh and D'Antoni will hold a press conference at the Garden today and likely will give Marbury a vote of confidence. But Marbury said he doesn't want to be kept around for the wrong reasons.

"It shouldn't matter if I go to a team in the same conference or a rival team," Marbury said. "They are concentrating on the direction best for them. There's nothing wrong with that - nothing wrong with change. If D'Antoni feels he needs to go in another direction with a starting point guard (Chris Duhon), that's fine. I know I'm going to play someplace else.

"I know what I can do on the basketball court. They know as well. There are newspaper writers and other people saying I can't play anymore. I want to prove to my fans . . . what I can do."

Would he be willing to be a backup?

"I'm not coming off the bench here in New York," Marbury said.

Nor is he willing to take less than the $21.9 million if approached about a buyout. Nevertheless, Marbury said he would donate any new contract money to charity.

"Why is (a buyout) even an issue," Marbury said. "It's my contract. I earned it. I wouldn't take a penny less."

Marbury said he would like more feedback from his bosses, considering the media swirl regarding his future.

"If D'Antoni feels a certain way, he should speak his peace now," Marbury said. "If he feels he's going in a different direction with Duhon, that's fine with me. It's OK. No problem at all. But it shouldn't be about the money. It should be about building the franchise and nobody should be worried where I go."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09262008/photos/sports094a.jpg

Fabbs
09-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Hmmn. He won't play backup in New York. Would he for the Spurs?

I don't like his every penny crap, but i do like his donation to charity on new contract.

Mixed messages. Is Marbury interested in a Championship or not?
What are the Knicks gonna do?

DROB4EVER
09-26-2008, 10:44 PM
If the guy wants to play ball he could help, I just think his love for the game is gone. But he could help someone for sure.

I would not be shocked to see Denver and the Lakers give him a look. GS would also be a good fit because it would allow Ellis to play the 2 which he is better at.

Boston might take a look. But most likely he signs with Miami or Philly.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-27-2008, 01:50 PM

If the Knicks buyout his contract he'll get $21.9M this year. Finley signed with San Antonio for next to nothing under similar circumstances because he wanted a ring....and he got one (hopefully two).

lotr1trekkie
09-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Starbury isn't Finley. He's more like Maggettie. Show him the $$$ or a starting position and he'll jump on it. If he actually wanted to win and come here he'd be lobbying for the starting job about 3 weeks into the season. He's Michael Vick w/o the pit bulls. He's said he wants to play in Italy. Jeez!!! This uncultural freak playing in Italy so he experience the culture? He should play in Sicily so that he can disappear silently.

fotan2
09-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Pop's gonna yell at him for sure ,can he stand that ?

i can't remember how many times he droped out games during the seasons.

if he can handle himself , that's a good idea to give him a chance to try out.

HarlemHeat37
09-27-2008, 04:06 PM
His offense was so impressive with the Knicks that they're considering paying him to go away.

that doesn't have anything to do with his game or skill though..it's his attitude..I can't put that completely on him though, I'm seeing first-hand how dysfunctional the entire Knicks organization is..

the Knicks aren't good enough to ignore Marbury's off-court antics and attitude problems, just because he has talent..they aren't going anywhere, so it's just a headache..but if you put him on a contender, that team CAN ignore his antics, because he'd be a key contributor in important games..

Spur-Addict
09-27-2008, 08:59 PM
OK. As much as I detest the notion, the Spurs could actually be player for Marbury's services, assuming he is released.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54517/20080924/marbury_could_end_up_with_heat_celtics_spurs_or_cl ippers/#

That's funny stuff right there, and if he's going to donate his next contract to charity, what teams have in monetary reserve is irrelavant. I'm sure teams do not want to pay even half of his current salary, that could be why things have stalled. I'm simply guessing.

He is a strong, quick and an offensively potent guard, I have no objection because his minutes would be limited anyways. Aside from that, we are missing a top player who scores quite a bit. I'm not convinced this locker room can't mold people, and aside from that, players already know what they are getting themselves into when considering the Spurs. The concepts of this team are widely known. With all of this in mind, I wouldn't mind him if this came to be at some point this season.

Dramon
09-27-2008, 09:30 PM
If the Knicks buyout his contract he'll get $21.9M this year. Finley signed with San Antonio for next to nothing under similar circumstances because he wanted a ring....and he got one (hopefully two).

Really? You really just compared Michael Finley to Stephon Marbury?

Obstructed_View
09-28-2008, 07:06 PM
that doesn't have anything to do with his game or skill though..it's his attitude..I can't put that completely on him though, I'm seeing first-hand how dysfunctional the entire Knicks organization is..

The Knicks organization must be really dysfunctional if it can affect Marbury's time with the Timberwolves and the Suns.

Again, if a fucked up team doesn't want him just to sell tickets and win the occasional game, I don't see why a championship caliber team would want him in any capacity. The Spurs aren't in a position where they need to take a gamble like that.