PDA

View Full Version : Report: Knicks Will Waive Marbury This Week

Spurs Brazil
09-23-2008, 03:07 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54493/20080923/report_knicks_will_waive_marbury_this_week/

Report: Knicks Will Waive Marbury This Week

Sep 23, 2008 2:12 AM EST
Newsday has learned that the Knicks will waive Stephon Marbury by the end of the week.

The team is likely to place Marbury on waivers and then begin negotiating a buyout once he clears.

Donnie Walsh may be uneasy with the idea of paying Marbury nearly $20 million to play for another team. Owner James Dolan must give his final approval on the decision.

Once Marbury and the Knicks have formally parted ways, Marbury will be free to sign with another team and the Heat figure to be high on the list of teams interested in his services.

Obstructed_View
09-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Marbury will take his 20 million dollar buyout and bolt for the highest paying team. Book it.

The Franchise
09-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Marbury will take his 20 million dollar buyout and bolt for the highest paying team. Book it.

I don't think the highest paying team will be looking to pay very high for him though. :lol

JamStone
09-23-2008, 05:43 PM

So he's going to play in Italy?

There is no NBA team that will offer him more than the veteran's minimum. Book it.

Obstructed_View
09-23-2008, 05:50 PM
So he's going to play in Italy?

There is no NBA team that will offer him more than the veteran's minimum. Book it.

I think I suggested exactly that a few weeks ago. If someone doesn't offer him anything here, he'll bolt. Hell, didn't he talk about doing that during the offseason anyway?

jack sommerset
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I can't see any team paying him more than the minimum.

Obstructed_View
09-23-2008, 05:56 PM
I can't see any team paying him more than the minimum.

I agree, but I couldn't see anyone paying Gilbert Arenas 100m.

Allanon
09-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Looks like the reporter must have jumped the gun.

Donnie Walsh came forward and says Marbury will be in Knicks camp and hasn't approached him about a buyout yet.

Also interesting, Walsh says Alan Houston might be in camp as well.

Knicks president says Marbury will be at camp; veteran Houston might, too
By Chris Broussard
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3605502

Pouring water on widespread speculation that the Knicks will waive Stephon Marbury, president Donnie Walsh said the controversial point guard will be with the team when it begins official workouts next week.

"He's coming to training camp," Walsh said of Marbury in a telephone interview Tuesday evening.

Stephon Marbury

Marbury

A newspaper report out of New York Tuesday morning said the Knicks are planning to waive Marbury by the end of the week. The move, which has been speculated about for months in the media, would eventually lead to a buyout of the $21.9 million Marbury is owed in the final year of his contract.

"This thing is initiated in the press and then I have to ask questions about it," Walsh said, sounding somewhat perturbed. "I haven't approached [Marbury] about a buyout."

When asked whether he's reached out to the point guard to alleviate concerns about his status with the team, Walsh said, "I talked to Stephon once and he seems OK about all of this."

Marbury is coming off the worst season of his 12-year career. He had a famous falling-out with his coach, president and one-time mentor Isiah Thomas, played in only 24 games because of injury, underwent surgery on his left ankle, and averaged career-lows in points (13.9), assists (4.7), rebounds (2.5) and minutes (33.6).

But at 31 years old, Marbury is still fairly young, and reports are that he spent the summer getting in the best shape he's been in in years.

Walsh also said former Knicks guard Allan Houston will probably join the team at training camp. He said Houston, 37, has been working out with the Knicks at their practice facility and that his shooting touch is as smooth as ever.

Walsh is going to meet with Houston on Wednesday to further discuss the situation. He would not guarantee Houston a spot on the roster, though.

"I don't know the answer to that," Walsh said, when asked whether Houston would definitely play for the Knicks this season. "But as far as putting the ball in the basket, he absolutely can still shoot. He has to be in more intense situations."

Houston, who averaged 17.3 points over his 12-year career, was forced to retire in 2005 because of an arthritic left knee. He returned briefly last season before bowing out during the Knicks training camp.

Walsh said it will be different this time around.

"In that case, he hadn't worked out that much," Walsh said. "He just came in and started playing. Now, he feels like he's in better position to go out and play. I accept that."

The question is will New York still accept Marbury.

Indazone
09-23-2008, 09:27 PM
The bigger news is Alan Houston possibly making the Knicks team. Everyone knows that Marbury is gonna be buh bye!

monosylab1k
09-23-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm so desperate for my team to do anything at all that I'd love to have Marbury backing up Kidd.

And if Allan Houston is in decent shape, he could still be semi-effective in a D'Antoni system.

JamStone
09-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Allan Houston still has a better jumper than Quentin Richardson and is probably healthier too.

Reggie Miller
09-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I agree, but I couldn't see anyone paying Gilbert Arenas 100m.

I still take great comfort in knowing that at least one person agrees with me on that.

Paying Starbury the veteran's minimum is robbing a more deserving has-been or never-was.

duncan228
09-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Another take on it.

Marbury headed out of New York? (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2008-09-23-notes_N.htm)
By Chris Colston, USA TODAY

What was anticipated all summer might become reality by week's end if, as Newsday reports, the New York Knicks waive Stephon Marbury. Because of taking the hit on the final year of Marbury's contract, worth $21.9 million, Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan has been reluctant to end the chaotic tenure of the veteran point guard.
Once Marbury clears waivers and a buyout is reached, he would be free to sign with any team. Reports in Newsday and South Florida news media included interest from the Miami Heat.

According to Newsday, which cited several persons with knowledge of the situation, Marbury has recovered from surgery in January to remove bone spurs in his left ankle, has worked out all summer and trimmed his playing weight to 200 pounds.

His best statistics in 41/2 seasons with the Knicks came in 2004-05, when Marbury averaged 21.7 points and 8.1 assists. Hs numbers have declined, while his feuding with management and teammates increased. The low point might have been in November, when Marbury missed a game in Phoenix without permission and returned to New York.[/QUOTE]