PDA

View Full Version : Josh Childress less than spectacular in his first 3 greek games

Allanon
09-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Josh Childress may be the beginning and the End of Big Euro $$$
http://thundertalk.net/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Josh-Childress-may-be-the-beginning-and-the-End-of-Big-Euro-.html&Itemid=1

One of the biggest deals to go off during the summer was the eloping of Josh Childress from the Atlanta Hawks to go play in Europe.

Childress reportedly signed a deal with Greek powerhouse Olympiakos B.C. worth $20 million NET over 3 years. That would be something equivalent to an NBA contract worth $40 million since, in Europe, the team pays the taxes. That's alot of money to be paying an up and coming but still kind of raw young player.

Josh Childress is a talented, exciting young player but he has a relatively low ceiling because he's just not a very good shooter and plays mostly off his athleticism. Additionally, European teams are mostly about 3 point bombing and jumpshots, much different than the fun and gun Hawks or Suns of the NBA.

The Aggelopoulos brothers, billionaire owners of the Piraeus, Athens based team, signed Childress to such a rich contract for the prestige of it all. They obviously didn't do it for revenue because the team doesn't make THAT much money (the Olympiacos BC arena seats 8,721 fans). The wanted the prestige of winning. Even if they're billionaires and can afford to lose a few million, they expect Josh Childress to deliver wins and points. If Childress can't put up 20-30 points per night, he's going to be considered a failure.

So how's Josh doing in Greece? Not too good (given the expectations of him being the "American Superstar") He's played 3 games already and has pretty much stunk things up. It's so bad that Greek fans are already openly wondering if he's a waste of money. Truth is, he probably is. He's getting Superstar money in Europe but putting out like the role player he is. In his first game, he missed the game-winning jumper....is ANYBODY in the US surprised? We know he's not a clutch shooter right now, but the Greek fans got the over-hyped info on Childress so they were certainly disappointed.

He was never capable of being the man in the NBA, why would he all of sudden turn into a clutch shooter? Don't tell me getting extra money will turn you into "the man". Greek fans are going to be in for a disappointing season and their scorn for NBA players might only be starting.

Already, there are many European fans that think their Euro teams are just as good as the NBA players. This whole train of thought started back in 2004 when Manu Ginobili and the Argentina National team put a woodshed beating on Team USA. The Greek team also torched Team USA with pick and roll after pick and roll. Before the most recent Olympics, the Spanish team was the World Champion. So now with Josh Childress' sucky play, casual Euro fans might even consider US players even suckier.

Childress has averaged only about 11 points and 5 rebounds in his first 3 games. Those numbers would sound great in the NBA...if he was a $4 million role-player but the Greeks are paying Josh the equivalent of an NBA $13 million dollar salary. Sure these games would be considered "pre-season" or "friendlies" but still, it gives an early look at Josh's struggles.

Josh Childress' signing might be the start and end of the extravagent salaries paid to NBA role players. If he improves his play, then maybe he can redeem himself but as far as I can see, I don't see much improvement coming along in his game...he's just not a good fit for Euro ball. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he wants to come back to the NBA.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Give him time.

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Olympiacos arena is 12,000 with permanent seats and 14,000-16,000 with optional seats which they will put in for playoff games. Is much bigger than article suggests.

I see Childress play. He is do fine. In last game he had huge block and then ran down court and have huge dunk. He will do ok for sure and maybe even be best SF in Euroleague, but he is not best player in Greek League and I think not even best in Olympiacos. I think Bourousis is best player they have.

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Give him time.

He has chance for all Euroleague first team at SF. But he is not great player at Euroleague level or even Greek League level. Americans keep say he will dominate is fools. He even say first few games against Greek teams in pre season surprise him how tough it was. These is pre season games and against some of very worst clubs in Greek League.

He is find out much myths in US about how poor game is in Greece.

Giannakis is make him player to take last shots in games and this is something he must adjust to. He also say he see much tougher defense at 3 point line than is in NBA and play is much more physical and this surprise him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-23-2008, 09:39 PM
He has chance for all Euroleague first team at SF. But he is not great player at Euroleague level or even Greek League level. Americans keep say he will dominate is fools. He even say first few games against Greek teams in pre season surprise him how tough it was. These is pre season games and against some of very worst clubs in Greek League.

He is find out much myths in US about how poor game is in Greece.

Giannakis is make him player to take last shots in games and this is something he must adjust to. he also say he see much tougher defense at 3 point line that is in NBA and play is much more physical and this surprise him.

That why you give time for him to adjust. People who judge after pre season games is fool.

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-23-2008, 09:42 PM
That why you give time for him to adjust. People who judge after pre season games is fool.

I already say he will be best SF in Euroleague and maybe all Europe. But I have see enough already for anyone think he can dominate is stupid. He is not even best player in his own team and certainly not in Greek League. Best player of his position maybe in all Euroleague is possible for sure.

But he is not to level of great player for level he is playing in.

Allanon
09-23-2008, 09:45 PM
I already say he will be best SF in Euroleague and maybe all Europe. But I have see enough already for anyone think he can dominate is stupid. He is not even best player in his own team and certainly not in Greek League. Best player of his position maybe in all Euroleague is possible for sure.

But he is not to level of great player for level he is playing in.

You think he can be the best SF in Euroleague? I am not so sure about that.

He's a very athletic player but a poor outside shooter, he must get his points around the rim. Maybe Euroleague will turn into more of a fastbreak league and then he can be the best small forward. But if the league is still jumpshooting, I am not sure if he will be very good.

And the coach is trying to make him a clutch player, I don't think that is possible unless he greatly improves his shooting because teams will know he is going to drive.

I think he's getting paid the most money on that team?

TDMVPDPOY
09-23-2008, 09:50 PM
20-30pts per game? hahahhaa

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-23-2008, 10:28 PM
You think he can be the best SF in Euroleague? I am not so sure about that.

He's a very athletic player but a poor outside shooter, he must get his points around the rim. Maybe Euroleague will turn into more of a fastbreak league and then he can be the best small forward. But if the league is still jumpshooting, I am not sure if he will be very good.

And the coach is trying to make him a clutch player, I don't think that is possible unless he greatly improves his shooting because teams will know he is going to drive.

I think he's getting paid the most money on that team?

He is highest pay player ever in Europe.

Euroleague is very weak at SF position. is by far weakest position in league. remember Nachbar and Delfino do not play in Euroleague for now. Best SF in Euroleague is players like Welsch, Griricek, Elyasova, Siskauskas, Khyrapa, Maciulis, Cvetković, Perperoglou, David Hawkins, Sato, Mumbru, Tomas, Jimenez, Jasaitis, Barton, Mickeal players like these.

Then there is some players like Printezis that is 3/4 players but not really natural SF though so they not really count.

But even best SFs in Euroleague like Jiri Welsch, Gordan Giricek, Ersan Ilyasova, Ramunas Siskauskas, Viktor Khyrapa, Alex Mumbru, Cvetković - I think Childress is better then these players by potential. SF position is by far weak position of league.

There is couple young SF like Maciulis and Perperoglou with much talent but unproven. Perperoglou is probably more talent then Childress but has not prove anything. Maciulis is still to raw in game to use all his great athletic ability. Most consider Siskauaksas best SF in Euroleague and this is probably true in most years. Only thing he do better than Childress is shoot and pass. he is as good in nothing else.

Siska is maybe best shooter in all Europe though so this why he always gets good scoring average. But he will not have Papaloukas to give him so many open shot now and I think teams will have better defense on him after last year. Khryapa is better all around player then Childress for sure but he is player that just never score. Childress can give 15 points maybe in Euroleague for Olympiacos so this is big difference.

So yes I think Childress can best SF in Euroleague. he have potential to be.

Kill_Bill_Pana
09-23-2008, 10:30 PM
20-30pts per game? hahahhaa

No player will get 20 point per game in biggest clubs in Europe like CSKA, Olympiacos, PAO. Will not happen. Americans says this kind of nonsense know nothing about these clubs. Spanoulis get 15 points one year in PAO and this is almost impossible for most players to do play in such club.

I think most Childress can do would be 15 points in Euroleague for team like Olympiacos. is easier to get 15 points in Olympiacos then PAO but still is not easy because team is still very deep.

Red Hawk #21
09-24-2008, 09:46 AM
I know my boy Chilllz, and I believe in him. He's gunna get better just wait and see.

bdictjames
09-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Childress will do the same in the Euroleague as in the NBA. Sixth man of the year candidate for sure.

Allanon
09-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Hey Red Hawk

How do you feel about your Hawks this year? How are they going to cope with the loss of their sixth man?

Red Hawk #21
09-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Hey Red Hawk

How do you feel about your Hawks this year? How are they going to cope with the loss of their sixth man?

Well I think we can do very well this year, Smoove and Horf have been in the weightroom all summer, Speedy Claxton is back and he said that he is feeling pretty explosive, Bibby is healthy,Marvin has been working hard on his game, JJ is going to be solid as usual and we also have gotten a solid role player in Mo Evans to replace Chilldress. Even though Chillz is more athletic Mo has the better 3point shot. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for us this year and we can make the playoffs and get out of the 1st round.

How do you feel about your Lakers? :lobt2:?

Allanon
09-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Well I think we can do very well this year, Smoove and Horf have been in the weightroom all summer, Speedy Claxton is back and he said that he is feeling pretty explosive, Bibby is healthy,Marvin has been working hard on his game, JJ is going to be solid as usual and we also have gotten a solid role player in Mo Evans to replace Chilldress. Even though Chillz is more athletic Mo has the better 3point shot. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for us this year and we can make the playoffs and get out of the 1st round.

How do you feel about your Lakers? :lobt2:?

Last time I spoke about the Lakers this year, I was another "entitled" douche-bag Laker fan so I think I'll hold out hahah.

Cool stuff man, the Hawks have to be my favorite team out East right now. They play with some serious energy, I still underrate Smoove...if he can only increase his outside accuracy a bit, he'll be unstoppable. Everybody knows now that Horford's a beast, I can't believe he's been hitting the weight room.

Marvin Williams...now that's the interesting one. I think he's going to be the sleeper for the Hawks this year. I think he's underrated right now and people only know him as the guy picked before CP3.

Good luck to you this year.

Red Hawk #21
09-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Last time I spoke about the Lakers this year, I was another "entitled" douche-bag Laker fan so I think I'll hold out hahah.

Cool stuff man, the Hawks have to be my favorite team out East right now. They play with some serious energy, I still underrate Smoove...if he can only increase his outside accuracy a bit, he'll be unstoppable. Everybody knows now that Horford's a beast, I can't believe he's been hitting the weight room.

Marvin Williams...now that's the interesting one. I think he's going to be the sleeper for the Hawks this year. I think he's underrated right now and people only know him as the guy picked before CP3.

Good luck to you this year.

Hey thanx man, I apreciate it. Good luck to you guys also, :toast