PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico Burress Suspended

Taco
09-24-2008, 09:27 AM
FOXSports.com has learned that the Giants have suspended Burress for two weeks for failing to show up for work on Monday and not responding to several phone calls by the team to explain his unexcused absence both Monday and Tuesday.

The star wideout, who was just rewarded with a new lucrative contract three weeks ago, was slated to meet with team officials early this morning to explain why he would've violated team rules and failed to return several phone calls explaining his whereabouts.

The excuse apparently was not good enough and head coach Tom Coughlin told the team this morning of the predicament and subsequent punishment.

The suspension means Burress will miss two weeks worth of pay as well as next week's game vs. the Seahawks.

In 2008, Burress has 18 catches for 259 yards and a touchdown. Last season he garnered massive respect for grabbing 70 balls for 1,025 yards and 12 TDs despite playing on a severely injured ankle. He's amassed four seasons of at least 1,000 yards receiving, two with the Giants and two with the Steelers. He opened this season with 10 catches for 133 yards on the Thursday night battle vs. the Redskins and at the time seemed worth every penny of his new deal.

Just three weeks later, however, the Giants are left punishing the wideout instead of praising him

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8601112/Star-wideout-skipped-practice,-ignored-calls

Findog
09-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Fuck Coughlin. They wouldn't have won the SB without him. He came come and go as he pleases as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I feel this way solely because he's on one of my fantasy teams.

Taco
12-02-2008, 09:07 AM
09/24/08

should i start another thread saying "Plaxico Burress is STUPID":lol

MannyIsGod
12-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Nah man, thats pretty much common knowledge. I dont know whats worse. Shooting yourself in the fucking foot or knowing that your stupidity cost you millions.

tp2021
12-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Jerry Jones: Target acquired.

florige
12-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Oh well, I guess I can pull a McCain and suspend my Burress Jersey search I have been looking for here in MD since before the playoffs last year.

LakerHater
12-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Damn, why are there 2 Threads on this!?

dbreiden83080
12-03-2008, 12:42 AM
The Giants have suspended him for the rest of the year, basically, it seems because the league was going to do it, so they did it first. How exactly is it that someone has the right to say "You can't show up to work, when you are out on bail and have been convicted of nothing"?? I know at my job if i get arrested and charged with a crime, my employer sure as hell can't tell me, "i can't come to work and won't get paid, while i await trial, and a verdict on the case". Not when nobody has proven i have done anything wrong.. How the hell does the NFL get away with this shit?? He may be guilty but no jury has handed that down yet, the man has a right to work and due process, he doesn't seem to be getting it..

LakerHater
12-03-2008, 12:49 AM
well the league has a personnal conduct rule,(which doesn't apply to cowboys!!!!), they also have a gun policy and the Giants said his injuries would have him out 4-6 weeks!

dbreiden83080
12-03-2008, 12:54 AM
well the league has a personnal conduct rule,(which doesn't apply to cowboys!!!!), they also have a gun policy and the Giants said his injuries would have him out 4-6 weeks!

True, that rule seems to be flexible as Pacman fresh out of rehab is now back in the league.. Personal conduct and gun policy, is fine but nothing has been proven. And he was not so badly hurt that he could not have come back for the playoffs or maybe the last reg season game. He had a pulled hamstring and the bullet wound was not serious at all, he was walking fine into court. The Giants are spinning this, they should have backed Burress and made the league suspend him, which in my view they have no right whatsoever to do. Let the case play out and then hand down a sentance, not now.. How do you throw the book at someone when they have not even gone to trial yet??

LakerHater
12-03-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm guessin for conduct detrimental to the team!
Also, maybe $, he'll lose about $205,000 per game & he was due to receive $1 million from his signing bonus on Dec. 10!!

K-State Spur
12-03-2008, 10:43 AM
"You can't show up to work, when you are out on bail and have been convicted of nothing"??

If you show a track record for these type of incidents, your company can let you go with following an arrest without a conviction.

Not to mention that NFL teams have the right to cut a player for no reason whatsoever - so that's basically Burress' alternative.

As long as the G-Men don't try to recover signing bonus money here, the law is on their side.

dbreiden83080
12-03-2008, 12:03 PM
If you show a track record for these type of incidents, your company can let you go with following an arrest without a conviction.

He got suspended for blowing off a team meeting, this was an incident off the field and nothing has been proven against him yet. I don't doubt he is guilty but i just hate how the league and teams can say "You don't have the right to come back to work, or get paid even though nothing has been proven against you yet" Plus the Giants do need him, i don't see them winning it all without him. He's far and away their best playmaking receiver. They should have backed him and hoped the league didn't smack him the way they did..

bostonguy
12-03-2008, 12:19 PM
I told one of my best friends, who lives in NY and is a season ticket holder for the Giants, that this wont hurt them all that much. This Giants team is really starting to remind me of the 04 and 05 Patriots. They lose all these players to FA, injuries, etc etc yet keep winning the same way. As long as Eli is at the helm and Coughlin is coaching that team, the Giants will keep doing what they started last January. They are deep like the Pats were those years especially on the defensive side of the ball. Not to mention these Giants have the same mindset that Pats team had during 2003 and 2004. They win and move onto the next game. They are all business. I hate them for breaking my heart last year, but it's hard to not respect that about this team especially when that used to resemble mine.

LakerHater
12-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Well actually, its in his contract bout off-field incidents so the organization has every right!!
Believe me, I hate it I'd rather have him on than off the field!!

dbreiden83080
12-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Well actually, its in his contract bout off-field incidents so the organization has every right!!
Believe me, I hate it I'd rather have him on than off the field!!

Boy i tell ya those NFL contracts are just brutal. They were saying on ESPN this morning, "how amazing it is that Kobe can get charged with rape, not be suspended by anyone, plus get a personal jet back and forth to the court hearings provided by the Lakers, but Burress get slapped like this", just unbelieveable..

K-State Spur
12-03-2008, 02:44 PM
He got suspended for blowing off a team meeting, this was an incident off the field and nothing has been proven against him yet. I don't doubt he is guilty but i just hate how the league and teams can say "You don't have the right to come back to work, or get paid even though nothing has been proven against you yet" Plus the Giants do need him, i don't see them winning it all without him. He's far and away their best playmaking receiver. They should have backed him and hoped the league didn't smack him the way they did..

You forget that teams are employers like anybody else.

Miss a mandatory meeting at your job, make a reputation for being a malcontent, and then get arrested on a weapons charge after shooting yourself. I'd be willing to bet that your employer wouldn't wait for a verdict either. It's the way the world works.

dbreiden83080
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
You forget that teams are employers like anybody else.

Miss a mandatory meeting at your job, make a reputation for being a malcontent, and then get arrested on a weapons charge after shooting yourself. I'd be willing to bet that your employer wouldn't wait for a verdict either. It's the way the world works.

Also kind of depends on how huge a star you are also. If you are the top lawyer at your firm, they sure will put up with more from you than some rookie fresh out of college.. That is another reason why this is odd. Burress is one of the best recievers in the league. The Giants as a franchise made so many excuses and gave so many 2nd chances to LT in his day. Michael Irvin, with the Cowboys when he wasn't doing drugs he was getting busted for something. How about Pacman fresh out of rehab and back on the field? Just feels like Burress is getting unfairly singled out here.

Reggie Miller
12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Also kind of depends on how huge a star you are also. If you are the top lawyer at your firm, they sure will put up with more from you than some rookie fresh out of college.. That is another reason why this is odd. Burress is one of the best recievers in the league. The Giants as a franchise made so many excuses and gave so many 2nd chances to LT in his day. Michael Irvin, with the Cowboys when he wasn't doing drugs he was getting busted for something. How about Pacman fresh out of rehab and back on the field? Just feels like Burress is getting unfairly singled out here.

My gut tells me that he made the mistake of screwing up one too many times, right about the time that the Giants figured out that they a) didn’t need him, and b) had overpaid him. This is their ticket out of a bad contract.

K-State Spur
12-03-2008, 04:41 PM

Yeah, but if the law firm has a guy like Hixon waiting in the wings, who has a lot of potential and will do it for a lot less...

And, I think I've taken this analogy about as far as it will go.

Also, it should be noted that for as big of a *star* as Burress appears to be at times - he's had double digit TDs and 1000 yards receiving in the same season ONCE in his entire career. Despite being 6'5, his TD/game in his career is almost exactly the same as 5'10 Santana Moss (who is viewed as good, but not great in most circles).

jack sommerset
12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Giants made right call suspending him. The legal system will be unfair to him. The Mayor is making this a political statement. This guy will do time for shooting himself accidentally. Anyone with common sense can see thats unfair. Believe me the criminals that want to use guns will not think twice about using them because Burress got time, they will only laugh because the dumb fuck shot himself. Anyway you spin it the guy should not spend 3 1/2 years in a 10 x 10 cell for accidentally shooting himself. If you even attempt, you are a dumb fuck.

LakerHater
12-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Boy i tell ya those NFL contracts are just brutal. They were saying on ESPN this morning, "how amazing it is that Kobe can get charged with rape, not be suspended by anyone, plus get a personal jet back and forth to the court hearings provided by the Lakers, but Burress get slapped like this", just unbelieveable..

Yup, just look at the Dallas cowgirls with Tank Johnson and Adam Jones havin' 12 incidents in 3 yrs!!! Plus Irvin with his drugs and holdin' a gun to chick while a teammate rapes'er!!!
Then Switzer tryin to go through an airport with a gun!!!!
C"MON!!!:bang

jack sommerset
12-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Yup, just look at the Dallas cowgirls with Tank Johnson and Adam Jones havin' 12 incidents in 3 yrs!!! Plus Irvin with his drugs and holdin' a gun to chick while a teammate rapes'er!!!
Then Switzer tryin to go through an airport with a gun!!!!
C"MON!!!:bang

haha..... you should have left it with pacman and tank. lost me with 65 year old switzer and irvin holding a gun while a teammate rapes her. :lmao

beefanus
12-03-2008, 10:09 PM
The Giants have suspended him for the rest of the year, basically, it seems because the league was going to do it, so they did it first. How exactly is it that someone has the right to say "You can't show up to work, when you are out on bail and have been convicted of nothing"?? I know at my job if i get arrested and charged with a crime, my employer sure as hell can't tell me, "i can't come to work and won't get paid, while i await trial, and a verdict on the case". Not when nobody has proven i have done anything wrong.. How the hell does the NFL get away with this shit?? He may be guilty but no jury has handed that down yet, the man has a right to work and due process, he doesn't seem to be getting it..
1 wow what did u do?
and 2 he cant work he shot himself in the LEG! he is a wide reciver he has to run to work how r u gonna do that with a gun wound in your leg!!!