PDA

View Full Version : For or against this. Precrime detector.

BacktoBasics
09-24-2008, 10:07 AM
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2008/09/precrime-detector-is-showing-p.html

Last year, New Scientist revealed that the US Department of Homeland Security is developing a system designed to detect "hostile thoughts" in people walking through border posts, airports and public places. The DHS says recent tests prove it works. Project Hostile Intent as it was called aimed to help security staff choose who to pull over for a gently probing interview - or more. Commentators slated the idea that sensors could spot people up to no good from their pulse rate, breathing, skin temperature, or fleeting facial expressions. One likened it to the "pre-crime" units that predict criminal behaviour in the movie Minority Report. However, last week, the DHS science unit gave an update on the project, now dubbed the less-hostile-sounding Future Attribute Screening Technologies (FAST) programme. And, if DHS claims are to be believed, the research appears to be getting somewhere. At an equestrian centre in Maryland, 140 paid volunteers walked through a pair of trailers kitted out with a battery of FAST sensors, including cameras, infrared heat sensors and an eyesafe laser radar, called a Bio-Lidar, that measures pulse and breathing rate from a distance. Some subjects were told to act shifty, be evasive, deceptive and hostile. And many were detected. "We're still very early on in this research, but it is looking very promising," says DHS science spokesman John Verrico. "We are running at about 78% accuracy on mal-intent detection, and 80% on deception.

" That sounds incredibly high at such an early stage in the research - but only tests on vast quantities of real people, rather than eager volunteers, will present any real test. Questions remain, however, as to how secure the system is. The machines could reveal health conditions like heart murmurs and breathing problems as well as stress levels - which would be an invasion of privacy.

I. Hustle
09-24-2008, 10:14 AM
That is some minority report shit

JudynTX
09-24-2008, 10:21 AM
So when do we get micro-chipped or bar-coded?

DisAsTerBot
09-24-2008, 10:22 AM
.....and then what, you arrest them for having hostile thoughts........ :bang stupid!

mrsmaalox
09-24-2008, 10:24 AM
If they set those things up at the airport security screening lines, who wouldn't be registering hostile thoughts by the time they got thru?!

BacktoBasics
09-24-2008, 10:27 AM
I would guess it would work out like this.

Guy has hostile thoughts.

Guy is searched and questioned.

The idea would be to find something on his person and then arrest him

If he's clean he's clean and let go.

DisAsTerBot
09-24-2008, 10:32 AM
I would guess it would work out like this.

Guy has hostile thoughts.

Guy is searched and questioned.

The idea would be to find something on his person and then arrest him

If he's clean he's clean and let go.

sounds like illegal search and seizure to me.....unless they actually know what you're hostile about.....

DisAsTerBot
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
If they set those things up at the airport security screening lines, who wouldn't be registering hostile thoughts by the time they got thru?!

good point, if i was in line for this machine, i would be hostile that i had to go through the machine :bang:ihit

JudynTX
09-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Last night's episode of Fringe was called The Ghost Network. This shits already out there! :wow:lol

Fringe Episode Recap: “Ghost Network”

"Ghost Network" explores a world of untapped radio-like waves that can communicate information to other people – without them even knowing it – through visions. Once again, Massive Dynamic's scientific expertise and experimentation plays a large roll in the case that Olivia and Peter investigate this week, but the biggest twist at the end will affect the characters in a much more personal way. Now, onto the show....

A man walks into a church — wait, that sounds like a bad joke. Let's try this again. The third episode of Fringe begins with a mysterious man taking confession in an empty St. Anne's Cathedral. He's clearly upset by frightening visions he's having. The priest keeps asking mystery man if he's hurt someone. Intercut with this exchange is a man on a bus full of happy normal people, who puts on a gas mask and grabs a back pack from another passenger before releasing a vapor that kills everyone on board by freezing them into place. Back at the church, the mystery man cries that he doesn't know why he's been chosen to see such terrible things, but he wants them to stop. He takes off, and the priest follows after the man, calling him "Roy" The priest finds a drawing the man has dropped on purpose – it's a picture of terrified people gasping for air. Shivers!

Is it me, or is this show getting tighter and more interesting with each episode? Hmm, I guess there have only been three episodes so I shouldn't jinx it, but it seems like Fringe is finding a good pace with these "paranormal incidents of the week" episodes. The opening had a clear sense of darkness and foreboding, not to mention being scary as hell.

After the opening credits, Olivia, Charlie and Co. are at Agent John Scott's funeral. Clearly, they are treating him (in death) as a hero – which we can see bugs Olivia, big time. John's mother gives Olivia a laser beam death stare for no apparent reason, though after the funeral, Olivia tells Charlie that she thinks Mama Scott blames her for his death. Whatevs, Mama Scott, your boy was a major baddie! Olivia is also pissed that they are treating John as a hero after he used her and betrayed the FBI. But what she's really mad about is the fact that he lied when he said that he loved her. Charlie lightens the situation by saying, "I didn't want to tell you this, but John told me he loved me too." Olivia allows herself to laugh. Aw, Charlie, you're the bomb.

Our boys Walter and Peter sit in a diner eating, while Walter mixes a homemade anti-psychotic cocktail into his iced tea. That's how I like to start my morning as well. Peter excuses himself and assaults a guy at the counter for following him around and taking pictures. The photog says, "You were supposed to check in when you got home." Interesting... this must be Big Eddie's people looking for their money. Or is it?

At the scene of the bus gassing, the agents are briefed that the attack wasn't biological in nature. Walter says they look like mosquitoes trapped in amber, and it sure is creepy looking. He asks to get a sample. Back the lab, Walter says the toxin is silicon based and turns from gas to solid somehow. Olivia stayed at the crime scene and is helping to dig out personal effects from people in the crash and notices a woman's backpack in the camera footage, but it's missing from the crash site. They pull up her name, Evelina Mendoza, and find out she's a DEA agent. And the plot thickens...

Hello Peter Berman (aka Mr. Mariska Hargitay) who's playing Mendoza's handler. He tells Olivia that Evelina wanted him to pull her from her undercover operation because she was freaked out by something called "The Pattern." There's that phrase again.

Back at the lab, Peter and Walter have had break through and have recreated the substance, and of course, the company who can manufacture such a compound is none other than Massive Dynamic.

Charlie calls and says they got a tip from the priest about Roy. Olivia heads to Roy's apartment to dig around. They find a very graphic and disturbing drawings and models of the flight from Hamburg as well as dozens of other tragedies – all dated before the events occurred.

As Charlie begins to question Roy, Olivia visits our enigmatic friend, Nina Sharp, at Massive Dynamic. Olivia intimates that Massive Dynamic seems to have control over a majority of scientific advancement, whether they are positive or negative. Nina spins the idea of blame onto Olivia herself by pointing out that at least three cases that she's investigated have happened in her backyard. Ooh, snap! Interesting theory, Ms. Sharp. Nina gives Olivia info on the chemicals – and humiliates Olivia with the fact that Broyles forgot to mention this substance was used in an attack in Prague once. Bastard. When Olivia calls Broyles on it, he tells her that he can't tell her everything due to the political maneuvering he has to do in order to keep the task force alive. She doesn't buy it and neither do I.

Charlie asks Roy about his drawings, and he answers that he gets a feeling and the only way to get rid of it is to draw or build the image. Peter is convinced Roy is telling the truth, and Walter busts out the good old theory of Occam's Razor: All things being equal, the simplest explanation is correct – Walter thinks the guy's a psychic. It's about time someone said that! And Walter is gonna prove it! He puts poor Roy into an MRI machine to see if he can intercept the images from his brain as he gets them. I know, it's crazy and preposterous (which Walter even says!), but once again, we should just go with it. During the test, Roy's veins start pulsing and look like they're gonna burst. That must mean he has some sort of metallic substance in his blood (or if this was the X-Files, millions of Nano-bots!).

Walter finds some old research that he worked on with William Bell that theorized a "spectrum" of sound waves that were outside of those already discovered. The government was very interested in using these waves to communicate clandestine information and operations – and called the Ghost Network. Peter finds out that Roy was actually one of Walter's test subjects and blows a gasket. We've seen other bits of anger, guilt even shame from Peter about his father's involvement with these experiments, but never like this. Walter comes off as so goofy and harmless most of the time, we forget that he really did screw a lot of people over in the name of science.

Walter says that the iridium based compound that he injected into Roy's body has multiplied over time, allowing him to overhear the plans of the people who perfected the spectrum. Walter says they may be able to tap into these images that Roy's receiving through some minor brain surgery... using a device he hid in their old house in Cambridge (insert my rolling eyes... seriously?).

After Olivia and Peter break into his old house and find Walter's hidden treasures, we're return to the lab to see how the heck Walter is gonna pull off this procedure. I want to tell Roy to run, run fast! But, Astrid, (who by the way is so completely devoid of any character and purpose on this show… please give her something more to do, writers) buckles him in for the ride. Walter puts on the Mad Max of head halos on Roy and starts drilling into his forehead. Time to look away if you're squeamish! They shock him with electrical stimuli while showing him flashcards of objects. It works quickly and suddenly Roy begins spouting Latin. Astrid translates and Olivia flies down to the morgue to check out the body of the DEA agent. She flashes back to the handler "saying goodbye" to her, but he was really cutting one of her palms open (which matched one of Roy's drawings) and took something out of the wound.

Olivia, based off info from Roy, heads down to South Station and the DEA handler man is there with a briefcase. Roy can overhear him on the phone and communicates it to Astrid. Olivia finds the handler and tries to arrest him, but it's too late. He’s been shot and the case is now gone. A chase ensues (what's Fringe without a good chase scene?), and they almost catch the bad guy with the case... until he purposely steps in front of a speeding bus and is killed.

Back at the FBI, they open the case and find a clear button-like disk. They still have no idea what it does or why it is important. Well, Walter, Peter and Olivia have no idea.

Roy is a happy guy because the ghost network stopped broadcasting once they knew it was compromised. He can go on and live a normal life now (with a hole in his forehead).

Broyles visits Nina at MD (how do they get from NYC to Boston so quickly and frequently?) and hands her the disk. Broyles tells Nina not to poach Olivia, and Nina accuses him of being protective. Poor Olivia; a pawn in everyone elses games.

Nina then takes the disk to her lab where a tech says "this may be just what we need to break the encryption." Oh man, here we go with the J.J. Abrams mythology stuff. Rambaldi anyone? Anyhoo, Nina walks over to a computer next to a huge incubation chamber. They've been downloading data from another chip for 72 hours, and that chip belongs to Agent John Scott who is in the chamber! He doesn't look dead but he's definitely unconscious – and he sure as hell wasn't buried. And the twists just keep on coming....

What did you think of Fringe this week?

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TV-Show-Blog/Fringe/Fringe-Episode-Recap/800047316?rss=breakingnews

BacktoBasics
09-24-2008, 10:52 AM
sounds like illegal search and seizure to me.....unless they actually know what you're hostile about.....
the scanner going off would be looked at as probable cause.

We already know that illegal search and seizure doesn't mean shit.

sincerely,

all the people who were forced to give blood over labor day or memorial day weekend.

Anti.Hero
09-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Anytime I have to stand in line I get hostile thoughts. I'm sure I am not the only one.

I. Hustle
09-24-2008, 11:11 AM
I am for being against it.

ashbeeigh
09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
This sounds basically like a lie detector. It would never hold up legally but could be used to scare somebody into confessing. Many people can regulate their pulse rate and breathing rate. Lammme.

Blake
09-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Next thing you know, they will make a homosexual detector or a "gaydar"

JudynTX
09-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Next thing you know, they will make a homosexual detector or a "gaydar"

Dwight Schrute has one. :lmao