PDA

View Full Version : Do you have the new city trash and recycle carts?

Buddy Holly
09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Most of San Antonio has them now but there is still one last phase that will be implemented by next year I believe making this city wide.

If you're wondering, these things:

http://www.sanantonio.gov/swmd/images/Blue_Brown_Cart.gif

I've had mine for some time now and like them. I recycle more stuff than I would with that small bin, heck, I had two and I recycle more now.

Anyway, what are your opinions on them? Like them, love them or hate them?

Shelly
09-24-2008, 03:25 PM
My subdivision was one of the pilot programs for the trash bins, so we've had them for 3-4 years now.

My friend in Alamo Ranch doesn't have the bins.

CosmicCowboy
09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I personally can't stand them. I don't like that "garbage" only gets picked up once a week now and reeks by the time you take the can to the road...I don't like that my 80 year old mother has to wrestle with that heavy SOB...I had her previous cans in a little cart I built for her and she could just roll them to the street with one hand...I don't like that they changed to them to "save money" but didn't pass the savings back to us...they charge us more for less convenience...I don't like the fact that you "think" you are being green and recycling by putting shit in the "blue" can but they just haul it to the dump just like the "brown" can. One big fucking scam.

Buddy Holly
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
They don't haul the blue cart contents it to the dump. Where'd you hear that?

mrsmaalox
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
We don't have them in Stone Oak yet. Don't they make exceptions for little old ladies? In my neighborhood in Georgia the elderly got trash picked up from the backyard if necessary. That being said, the 80 yr old dude who lives next door to me brings my cans in for me so I don't have to "get messy" as he says! :D

CosmicCowboy
09-24-2008, 03:39 PM
They don't haul the blue cart contents it to the dump. Where'd you hear that?

OK, where do they take it?

Buddy Holly
09-24-2008, 03:43 PM
To recycling centers.

timvp
09-24-2008, 03:43 PM
I hate those damn things. If you have a party or anything else that creates a lot of trash, instead of just putting the trash bags on the street to get rid of it all, you have that deceptively small bin that you have to use. Even if you have two or three bins worth of trash you just have to wait it out for two or three weeks.

The only reasons these things came into existence was to make less work for the city and to cut down on the high number of worker's comp claims made by trash collectors.

CosmicCowboy
09-24-2008, 03:46 PM
To recycling centers.

And where are these mythical City of San Antonio recycling centers and the thousands of workers that would be required to sort the paper, aluminum, glass, and three classes of plastic that would have to be done before the stuff could be recycled?

Buddy Holly
09-24-2008, 03:47 PM
And where are these mythical City of San Antonio recycling centers and the thousands of workers that would be required to sort the paper, aluminum, glass, and three classes of plastic that would have to be done before the stuff could be recycled?

Mythical? Really...?

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=san+antonio+recycling+centers&btnG=Google+Search

Shelly
09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I personally can't stand them. I don't like that "garbage" only gets picked up once a week now and reeks by the time you take the can to the road

Last summer I made the mistake of making a whole chicken the day after pick-up. OMG, the flies were buzzing and practically puked every time I threw out the trash. I had to pour a bottle of bleach in that thing.

I now plan my carcass eating around trash day.

Bigzax
09-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Last summer I made the mistake of making a whole chicken the day after pick-up. OMG, the flies were buzzing and practically puked every time I threw out the trash. I had to pour a bottle of bleach in that thing.

I now plan my carcass eating around trash day.

boneless is really the way to go here...:wakeup

Shelly
09-24-2008, 03:54 PM
The one thing I do hate about the bins is that we're probably one of the few people on our street that actually uses our garage to park our cars in them. They don't fit in the garage. The previous HOA president used to bitch in the newsletter constantly about the trash cans being out. I think he finally gave up. When they make the guy two doors down fix up his yard, my bins will go in the garage.

CuckingFunt
09-24-2008, 03:55 PM
I hate those damn things. If you have a party or anything else that creates a lot of trash, instead of just putting the trash bags on the street to get rid of it all, you have that deceptively small bin that you have to use. Even if you have two or three bins worth of trash you just have to wait it out for two or three weeks.

The only reasons these things came into existence was to make less work for the city and to cut down on the high number of worker's comp claims made by trash collectors.

Don't they have some sort of system for extra garbage? At my last house, we'd get a batch of "extra" stickers every six months in the mail, so if you had more than would fit in the bins you could bag it up and slap on a sticker indicating which type of trash it was (garbage, recycling, or green waste). If you ran out of stickers, you could just call before pick up and let the garbage company know you'd have an extra bag or two.

Shelly
09-24-2008, 03:55 PM

Beer can chicken FTW!

Shelly
09-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Don't they have some sort of system for extra garbage? At my last house, we'd get a batch of "extra" stickers every six months in the mail, so if you had more than would fit in the bins you could bag it up and slap on a sticker indicating which type of trash it was (garbage, recycling, or green waste). If you ran out of stickers, you could just call before pick up and let the garbage company know you'd have an extra bag or two.

Nope.

Every 6 months they have neighborhood clean up, where you can throw ANYTHING out and all the scavengers come by and dig through your crap and go sell it somewhere.

CosmicCowboy
09-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Mythical? Really...?

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=san+antonio+recycling+centers&btnG=Google+Search

LOL

Most of those are steel/metal recyclers and the rest are specialty recyclers. Those blue cans of mixed up shit don't go there. Recycleable goods have to be sorted not only by class, but by type...paper has 3 classes, glass (only clear, green, or brown) and plastic has 3 classes (clear PET, uncolored HDPE, and colored HDPE). Also everything has to be washed and the labels removed.

Where is this happening and where are the hundreds if not thousands of employees that would be required to sort those cans located EXACTLY?

CuckingFunt
09-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Nope.

Every 6 months they have neighborhood clean up, where you can throw ANYTHING out and all the scavengers come by and dig through your crap and go sell it somewhere.

Well, then, that's stupid.

We had an annual "Spring Cleaning" day (which was a stupid name, since it was always scheduled during the Summer) where you could get rid of furniture/appliances/whatever, but they were pretty good about picking up extra garbage the rest of the year.

09-24-2008, 04:00 PM

Dude, that's not something you should be bragging about.

Seriously.

Buddy Holly
09-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Where is this happening and where are the hundreds if not thousands of employees that would be required to sort those cans located EXACTLY?

I guess here:

http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?articleID=324650

:toast

mrsmaalox
09-24-2008, 04:08 PM
My trash compactor is probably my favorite appliance.

PM5K
09-24-2008, 04:17 PM
I guess here:

http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?articleID=324650

:toast

You don't even need that link, do you really think the city would throw out all of that money?

Buddy Holly
09-24-2008, 04:48 PM
You don't even need that link, do you really think the city would throw out all of that money?

Sometimes it's just fun to prove people wrong. LET ME HAVE MY FUN!!! :hat :lol

Das Texan
09-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Funny at the thought of all the recycling going into the dump.

That's a big time moneymaker.

Das Texan
09-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Oh ya.

And they have smaller carts if you request them. Call the city, they will have them out to you within a few days.