PDA

View Full Version : Oden or Bynum

manu99
09-24-2008, 04:00 PM
I know I know theres enough talk about these two to last for centuries, but seeing as thier is so much potential over these two young pups,who would you take?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-24-2008, 04:01 PM
James Gist

JamStone
09-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Have to go with Bynum. He shows much more promise on offense, and even if Oden is better on defense, it doesn't look to be by a very big margin at all.

samikeyp
09-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Bynum. He, so far, is the proven player.

Sissiborgo
09-24-2008, 06:15 PM
ODEN ODEN ODEN ODEN..Thank you very much...:toast

Sissiborgo
09-24-2008, 06:16 PM
James Gist

Why he is not even playing in the nba thoug i would love to...

tlongII
09-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Without question you have to go with Oden. Oden will show that he's more skilled than Bynum on offense as well.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Why he is not even playing in the nba thoug i would love to...
Because.

z0sa
09-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Oden hasnt played one NBA minute.

NBA season, start please.

JamStone
09-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Without question you have to go with Oden. Oden will show that he's more skilled than Bynum on offense as well.

Jonathan Bender will show more offensive skill than Tracy McGrady.

lefty
09-24-2008, 07:26 PM
None

HarlemHeat37
09-24-2008, 08:01 PM
I'd take Oden..there's a reason he's the most hyped big man since Tim Duncan..the National Championship showed Oden's dominance, and he was playing hurt..if his teammates weren't idiots, he would have dominated even more..

Bynum isn't proven neither..he did dominate a small number of games, and he played well for the rest of them..but he IS playing with solid teammates, specifically the best player in the NBA, Kobe Bryant..

opening game of the season will be exciting..

tomtom
09-24-2008, 09:29 PM
True that. Can't wait for a renewing rivalry

spursjustice
09-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Bynum has shown he can play the NBA game and I have no doubt Oden will be the same. Defensively, Oden is slightly better than Bynum; offensively, Bynum has the edge over Oden. Also, Oden hasn't played a single game in the NBA, but I'd still pick Oden, only because of what he did to both Al Horford and Joakim Noah against the Gators last year -with an injury.

baseline bum
09-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Oden. Since both are damaged goods, I'll go with the more talented player with a higher ceiling.

gospursgojas
09-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Bynum is the most overrated player ever to play in 32 games

SpurSupremacist
09-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Is this a real question? Are you for real with this? Oden put up godly numbers in college playing with his weak hand the whole year. Oden, coming into the NBA, was close to a LeBron level of natural talent. People quickly forget how every scout in the world sucked Oden's dick, and rightly so. Bynum might be a 15-10 guy somewhere in the future, but Oden has the potential to dominate on BOTH sides of the ball. Not just on lob passes from Kobe. Oden could easily put up Robinson type numbers. I've always said, Oden has the athleticism of Robinson with the demeanor of Duncan... and that is scary.

Maybe I am selling Bynum short a bit, but if his knee injury didn't fuck him totally(Oden)... to compare Bynum to him is an insult.

DMX7
09-25-2008, 01:32 AM
I have to see Oden first. Right now, I would probably say Bynum.

RsxPiimp
09-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Hoe Then

IronMexican
09-25-2008, 01:46 AM

He has played in more than just 32 games. He isn't a rookie, you know that right?

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-25-2008, 01:51 AM
I'm pretty pumped that i get to see Oden vs Duncan on TV here :clap I don't get any Nuggets games but i will be getting alot of spurs and lakers games :lol

timvp
09-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Oden. They both have had significant injuries but Oden is bigger, the better defender and the better teammate. Bynum can be lazy at times, can turn emo at the drop of a hat and hasn't been the greatest of teammates. I will say that Bynum has a higher ceiling offensively.

If the Lakers had Oden instead of Bynum, they'd almost be guaranteed a championship if everyone stayed healthy.

Allanon
09-25-2008, 02:14 AM
To be honest, I was all for trading Bynum for Jason Kidd. It wasn't until last season when I was shocked at how many skills he had developed in just 1 summer. Not only that, he showed had the competitive "fire" that I didn't think he possessed. I don't like hyping players...but damn, Bynum has me sold.

I'd take Bynum over Oden because Bynum is by far more skilled than Oden. At age 20, he's already more killed than any of the top centers...except Yao. DHo has fewer skills but knows how to use his power.

For comparison to well known guys, Bynum is an Olajuwon kind of guy while Oden is a Shaq type player.

Bynum is better than ANY Center in the NBA when it comes to footwork. I also read that Bynum developed a solid 16-19 foot jumper over the summer. I thought the whole "Kareem teaching Bynum thing" was BS when they first hyped it but you really can tell that Bynum learned offense from a master. Bynum has a vast array of moves for a kid his age and for a big guy, he's a great dribbler and free throw shooter.

Defensively, Bynum I think is naturally skilled. He still does read defenses wrong sometimes and at other's he's bumbling around the perimeter instead of staying by the paint. He didn't have the benefit of learning in college like Oden did but the skills are there. More importantly, Bynum defends without getting into foul trouble. Bynum is quicker, has more length, more body control and more speed than Oden.

Oden is considerably stronger and physically better balanced than Bynum, but he doesn't really have skills so it's going to be a few years before he's considered a polished player. Give Oden the ball and he'll power in points but it's all around the basket stuff.

Even considering that Oden probably is more intuitive defensively, I think right now, Bynum is still ahead of Oden by 1-2 years.

bigdog
09-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Oden seems like he will be the more professional out of the two, won't blow up emotionally as much as Bynum, and to me is more solid defensively. Bynum, to me, isn't a great defender, and gets lazy. If Oden can consistently provide some kind of offensive spark, I'll take Oden.

Manufan909
09-25-2008, 03:02 AM
James Gist

I second this vote.

2Cleva
09-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Oden. They both have had significant injuries but Oden is bigger, the better defender and the better teammate. Bynum can be lazy at times, can turn emo at the drop of a hat and hasn't been the greatest of teammates. I will say that Bynum has a higher ceiling offensively.

If the Lakers had Oden instead of Bynum, they'd almost be guaranteed a championship if everyone stayed healthy.

Regarding injuries, Oden's obviously was more devestating, shown by the amount of time missed.

Size? Bynum is 7'1, 280. Oden is 7'0, 245. This is from both's personal website, where both update with stories regularly.

Emotion? Haven't seen Oden on the big stage so no telling how he responds.

Age - Bynum turns 21 at the end of October, Oden turns 21 in January so their really is no age difference.

I'm not saying who you should pick or not but most of your evidence was faulty.

Opening night this question likely is answered.

ambchang
09-25-2008, 09:45 AM

QFT.

He has great potential, no doubt. Nice touch around the basket, but he still can't create like an elite player (not even as well as Pau Gasol), his defense isn't close to as good as people make it out to be. But people are making him the second coming of Shaq.

tlongII
09-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Regarding injuries, Oden's obviously was more devestating, shown by the amount of time missed.

Size? Bynum is 7'1, 280. Oden is 7'0, 245. This is from both's personal website, where both update with stories regularly.

Age - Bynum turns 21 at the end of October, Oden turns 21 in January so their really is no age difference.

I'm not saying who you should pick or not but most of your evidence was faulty.

:lmao

Oden hasn't seen 245 since his junior year in high school! He's between 285 and 290 right now and the coaching staff would like to see him at 280 on opening night.

2Cleva
09-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Did more homework, yeah Oden is about 280. Bynum says himself he's 285 with 9% body fat.

Point stays the same, size isn't an issue with either. Both are explosive (Oden more naturally so). Bynum plays "longer" than his height - a comment made by many of NBA players and coaches, including Duncan).

And all the talk of who is decided opening night. Can't wait.

IronMexican
09-25-2008, 11:17 AM
I'll take Bynum

Rummpd
09-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Assuming health has to be Oden. Not even close.

TheMadHatter
09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm a little weary of someone who says "not even close" when one of the players has yet to play one single NBA game.

2Cleva
09-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Its funny when Bynum is called overrated but some have such high hopes for a team where almost half the core never has played in an NBA game, let alone none of them have been in the playoffs except Raef Lafrentz.

tlongII
09-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Yah, you'll see how funny it is on opening night!

SpurSupremacist
09-26-2008, 05:02 PM

First sentence I laughed at considerably harder than the latter, though the latter was funny as well for the small amount of sense it made. You haven't seen Oden on the big stage? So... you didn't watch Florida/Ohio State? You know, when Oden went up against 3 first round picks I believe it was? And completely demolished them? I guess you missed that one.

SpurSupremacist
09-26-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm a little weary of someone who says "not even close" when one of the players has yet to play one single NBA game.

Not when you're dealing with talent of his caliber, and you're comparing him to an unproven player whose ceiling is nowhere near Oden's. You can talk about footwork all you want. McHale had some of the best footwork ever, he's a career 18PPG scorer. In contrast, D-Rob, who was more of sheer power and athleticism is at 21 and won a scoring title. And I think it's universally agreed upon that Oden is the far superior defensive presence.

Purple & Gold
09-26-2008, 05:14 PM
I'd take Bynum. First off cause he's a Laker and we already have him. Second because he's a beast that will only get better. His touch around the basket can't be taught and his size and footwork are excellent. He's also a bit of a nerd that soaks up Cap's knowledge like a sponge. They will more than likely both be very good, even great players. Looking forward to this new Lakers/Blazers rivalry.

Purple & Gold
09-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Not when you're dealing with talent of his caliber, and you're comparing him to an unproven player whose ceiling is nowhere near Oden's. You can talk about footwork all you want. McHale had some of the best footwork ever, he's a career 18PPG scorer. In contrast, D-Rob, who was more of sheer power and athleticism is at 21 and won a scoring title. And I think it's universally agreed upon that Oden is the far superior defensive presence.

Watch more of Bynum before you start speaking out of your ass and ceilings. And McHale was a great player and would have scored much more than 18PPG if his team wasn't so loaded. You sound like an idiot with your universally agreed bullshit.