PDA

View Full Version : 10 Questions With Elton Brand

duncan228
09-24-2008, 05:29 PM
10 Questions With ... Elton Brand, Philadelphia 76ers (http://www.nba.com/features/starting5_brand_080923.html)

Starting 5: How excited are you for the upcoming season?
Elton Brand:I’m so excited. I’ve been here in Philly training with the guys. Thaddeus Young, Lou Williams, Reggie Evans, a lot of guys are in town playing full court. We don’t have a full complement, but we have some great talent on this team, so I can’t wait. I can’t wait.

9. Starting 5: How long do you think the process of you meshing with your new teammates and vice versa is going to take?
Elton Brand:That is the thing. We’re still a young ballclub overall. The maturation process, we’ll see what that’s going to take. We definitely have the talent to do some damage this season. I know Coach Cheeks and the coaching staff are working on some things. I know it starts with me and I don’t have an ego. I just want to win some games. I played with Andre Miller. The first season I actually made an All-Star Game Andre Miller was the point guard. I expect to come in and mesh well.

8. Starting 5: How do you see your impact coming to the East and getting away from the tough nightly frontcourt matchups in the West?
Elton Brand: I am not sure of the numbers, but before KG and Zach Randolph got here, I’d say the West at the four spot was definitely one of the most fierce, competitive spots in the NBA. Coming out East, there is still some talent at that power forward spot, but there is a lot of guards. It’s very guard oriented. Numbers-wise I’m not sure what to expect, but I expect to have a greater impact for sure.

7. Starting 5: Do you think the Sixers can unseat the Celtics in terms of winning the Atlantic Division?
Elton Brand: It starts with the world champions. Then the Detroit Pistons; they’ve been there every year. Then Cleveland. Orlando’s improved. There are some great teams in the East. Like I said, we’re a young team, so how we gel will depend on how we compete against the upper echelon teams. I know we have the talent to do it though.

6. Starting 5: How will your presence in the low blocks help a guy like Andre Iguodala's overall game?
Elton Brand: Playing with Andre Iguodala, I expect to get double teams a majority of the game, and he can benefit from that. He’s a slasher, penetrator, and he can shoot the ball. He averaged close to 20 points last season. His job is going to be a lot easier and so is mine having him. Guys have to be leery of him coming into the paint to dunk or finish too. We’re both going to make each other’s job a lot easier.

5. Starting 5: Do you think the Sixers attack will be inside-out?
Elton Brand: I think we’ll be transition, get out on the break, but in halfcourt sets, definitely inside-out.

4. Starting 5: How difficult was it for you to leave Los Angeles?
Elton Brand: It was tough. It just came down to the business of the NBA. I have a lot of fans out there that I was close with that I would even call friends. I have a lot of friends out there that I miss all the time. But coming back to Philadelphia, being an hour and a half away from home (Cortland, N.Y.), you know my wife is pregnant with our first child, so having that support, you can’t beat that.

3. Starting 5: What do you know about the Sixers tradition and what have you learned since you came on board?
Elton Brand: You know, it’s an honor and a privilege to follow in the footsteps of Wilt Chamberlain, Dr. J, Moses Malone and Charles Barkley and to be a part of that tradition. And recent history, Allen Iverson is one of my favorite players of all time, too. Having that great tradition, I’m not trying to break any scoring records – that will be tough here with those great players – but I’m just trying to win ballgames and leave my mark on this city.

2. Starting 5: Any predictions for the upcoming season?
Elton Brand: The only prediction I have is improvement. I think we’re gonna be better. I don’t know how much better, but certainly better.

1. Starting 5: Is there a sense of urgency in your NBA career age-wise in terms of winning a championship?
Elton Brand: Absolutely. I’m gonna turn 29 this year and I see the teams that made it to the Finals last year. Boston, two years ago were beatable. When I played with the Clippers we had a better season than the Lakers two out of three years prior to last year or something like that. To see them in the Finals definitely puts a sense of urgency in me to try to get there and win a championship.

BUMP
09-24-2008, 05:43 PM
what a fucking douchebag

Many PackYao
09-24-2008, 05:46 PM
...and for the off the record question.
How did B-diddy react when you left him high and dry in LA?:lol

z0sa
09-24-2008, 06:52 PM
4. Starting 5: How difficult was it for you to leave Los Angeles?
Elton Brand: It was tough. It just came down to the business of the NBA. I have a lot of fans out there that I was close with that I would even call friends. I have a lot of friends out there that I miss all the time. But coming back to Philadelphia, being an hour and a half away from home (Cortland, N.Y.), you know my wife is pregnant with our first child, so having that support, you can’t beat that.

HA tell that to baron davis you bastard. But who in his position - an all star level forward on a team that just has no immediate future with the West this tough - woudnt have gone to Philadelphia?