PDA

View Full Version : Beasley, Chalmers Own Up To Indiscretions

duncan228
09-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Michael Beasley, Mario Chalmers own up to indiscretions (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-0924indiscretions,0,7329856.story)
By Ira Winderman

MIAMI - Three weeks after angering NBA officials with their behavior at a league symposium, Miami Heat rookies Michael Beasley and Mario Chalmers reiterated their regret over starting their careers on such a note.

"My immaturity played a factor," Beasley, the No. 2 overall selection out of Kansas State, said today during an informal interview session before an evening workout at AmericanAirlines Arena.

"It was just a mistake," said Chalmers, the Kansas national-championship point guard who was drafted in the second round, "being at the wrong place at the wrong time, something we look back and we regret to the fullest."

Beasley was fined $50,000 and Chalmers $20,000 by the NBA for violations at the league's Rookie Transition Program in Rye Brook, N.Y.

The league cited the presence of improper guests in a hotel room where Beasley, Chalmers and Memphis Grizzlies forward Darell Arthur were present. The scent of marijuana was also present in that hotel room, although that was not cited by the league in the issuance of the fines, with privacy issues involved in the NBA's substance-abuse policy.

Arthur also was fined $20,000, with Beasley given a steeper fine for initially refusing to cooperate with the league investigation.

Beasley acknowledged today that he was hiding in the room when hotel security initially arrived.

"I'm 19, so I kind of tried to be a kid and get away with it," Beasley said. "But I talked to the coaches. I talked to (Heat President) Pat Riley and we just thought it was the best decision.

"It was kind of eating away at me, just to watch my teammate go through so much, and be basically hiding behind the lights. I just felt it was the right thing for my team, and just to stand by my teammate."

Beasley was allowed to remain at the four-day seminar, unlike Chalmers and Arthur, who were immediately expelled and required to attend next year's program, something Beasley will not have to do. The incident took place on the eve of the four-day session.

The league said there would be no suspensions attached to the fines issued to Beasley, Chalmers and Arthur.

Beasley declined to discuss why he chose to hide and how his presence went undetected for weeks by league security.

"I don't really want to go into detail," he said. "What's done is done. I made a bad mistake. I frown upon it myself. All I can do is look forward and try to be the best player and person I can be for the team."

Chalmers said he hoped to grow from the incident.

"I think it's helped me a lot," he said, "just being in that situation, learning from it, learning not to even be in a predicament like that, not to be in a situation like that. Other than that, I've been through a lot of stuff before and I've just got to get over it, get over the hump."

Beasley said the incident opened his eyes to his new life as a professional.

"I can only be cautious in the future," he said. "I can't take away what happened in the past. I can just be a little more cautious in the future."

The weeks leading to the start of training camp have proven particularly difficult for Beasley with the players' association confirming that Beasley had filed for a separation from his agent Joel Bell.

By union rule, Beasley cannot hire replacement representation until Thursday, after a 15-day cooling period from the dismissal of Bell.

He said he plans to bypass that decision for now.

"I feel as though, right now, an agent is not really my first priority," he said. "I'm looking forward to the start of training camp and I just want to play basketball. Everything off the court I don't want to worry about right now."

He did, however, confirm signing a shoe deal with adidas.

"It was the best situation for me," he said. "I've been playing in adidas since I was 13 years old. I established a relationship with some of the guys on the staff and financially it was the best situation for me and my family."

The Heat opens training camp Saturday at AmericanAirlines Arena, with media day planned for Friday.

Riley has called the incident, "an embarrassment."

Riley, who did not comment today, previously said, "It's something that it really can't be tolerated." The team has not levied additional punishment.

anakha
09-25-2008, 01:22 AM
"It was just a mistake," said Chalmers, the Kansas national-championship point guard who was drafted in the second round, "being at the wrong place at the wrong time, something we look back and we regret to the fullest."

So Chalmers just happened to be in the room with a bunch of weed when the hotel personnel opened the door? :lmao

bdictjames
09-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Bullshit Beasley.