PDA

View Full Version : Warriors' Ellis Was Hurt In Moped Accident

duncan228
09-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Warriors' Ellis was hurt in moped accident (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/24/SP21134ADN.DTL&feed=rss.sports)
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monta Ellis was riding a moped when he severely injured his left ankle last month in his native Jackson, Miss., sources close to the Warriors guard told The Chronicle.

The 22-year-old tore a deltoid ligament in his ankle and sustained a high-ankle sprain in what one of the sources labeled a "low-speed" accident. Ellis underwent surgery on Aug. 27 and is expected to be sidelined for at least another two months.

The cause of Ellis' injury was unclear, even to Golden State officials, immediately after he hurt himself in late August. He initially told vice president Chris Mullin the injury occurred during a pick-up basketball game, before coming clean about the moped mishap.

The team has not decided how to punish Ellis for violating the terms of his new six-year, $66 million deal by participating in a banned activity and trying to cover it up.

Since riding a moped is prohibited under the uniform player contract, the Warriors could move to terminate Ellis' deal, though such a move seems highly unlikely.

A possible punishment for Ellis is a heavy fine or suspension. It's also possible the Warriors will let Ellis off the hook completely, chalking the incident up to the youngster's maturation process.

The Lakers faced a similar situation two seasons ago when forward Vladimir Radmanovic separated his shoulder in a snowboarding accident in Park City, Utah. Radmanovic, who initially said he slipped on a patch of ice, missed about two months and was fined $500,000, or roughly one-tenth of his salary.

The sources added that no final Warriors decision on Ellis is expected until next week after the two sides work through the situation. Ellis has been going back and forth between Mississippi and Birmingham, Ala, where his surgery took place.

Ellis won't be with the team Friday, when players gather for their annual media-day festivities. The team expects Ellis to arrive in Oakland sometime early in training camp, pending medical approval.

The Warriors had no comment on the cause of the injury or any possible punishment. Ellis' agent, Jeff Fried, also declined to comment.

Beginning Saturday, the Warriors will hold two-a-day practices for the next week at their downtown Oakland facility. This year's edition of roster hopefuls includes rookie guards DeMarcus Nelson and Anthony Morrow and forwards Dion Dowell and Rob Kurz.

baseline bum
09-25-2008, 12:58 AM
I'd completely cut off that deal. Even when healthy there's no way Monta Ellis deserved that kind of money. They should have just paid Baron what he's worth.

Gino
09-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I'd completely cut off that deal. Even when healthy there's no way Monta Ellis deserved that kind of money. They should have just paid Baron what he's worth.

Whats with these over-paid players risking their contracts on mopeds and snowboards?

Reggie Miller
09-25-2008, 01:15 PM
How in the hell can someone hurt themselves on a moped?!?

I bet it was really a dirt bike. I think Tone Loc is the only brother on the West Coast who goes jettin' on a scooter.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-25-2008, 01:20 PM
This guy really needs a lesson in how to sign a big contract and buy dangerous toys. A moped? If I had the kind of dough these guys get you'd be reading about me in the papers after I suped up a Segueway with a turbo charger and a couple of Acme rockets and wrapped that bitch around a tree.

Reggie Miller
09-25-2008, 01:22 PM
This guy really needs a lesson in how to sign a big contract and buy dangerous toys. A moped? If I had the kind of dough these guys get you'd be reading about me in the papers after I suped up a Segueway with a turbo charger and a couple of Acme rockets and wrapped that bitch around a tree.

You forgot to mention your parachute and a little wooden sign that reads, "Help!"

JamStone
09-25-2008, 01:22 PM
People ride mopeds when they're 12 years old.

Not when they're multi-million dollar adults.

Put him in the hall of shame.

Reggie Miller
09-25-2008, 01:24 PM
People ride mopeds when they're 12 years old.

Not when they're multi-million dollar adults.

Put him in the hall of shame.

You forgot drunks with suspended licenses.

Allanon
09-25-2008, 02:58 PM
How in the hell can someone hurt themselves on a moped?!?

Hahah, seriously. Even when Monta tells the "truth" it still sounds like a lie.

jack sommerset
09-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Its a MOPED. Who would have thought you would get injuried. Thats why they are called 'accidents'. He should not have lied though. Thats ridiculous.

The Franchise
09-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Hahah, seriously. Even when Monta tells the "truth" it still sounds like a lie.

If they voided his contract and offered him 10 million less for the same years could he afford to say no?

Gino
09-25-2008, 04:03 PM

:lol

T Park
09-25-2008, 04:40 PM
I'd terminate the contract on principle alone.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Moped? What a faget.

manufor3
09-25-2008, 05:31 PM
can anyone get that dumb and dumber clip with the moped

manufor3
09-25-2008, 05:36 PM
can anyone get that dumb and dumber clip with the moped

nm

yKRtdgQhVbw

Lp26
09-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Seems like BS or a leak by GS to me. It was definitely a motorcycle or a dirtbike IMO (although what they would get out of saying a moped i don't know; the only thing it does is make Ellis looks like a loser as well as an idiot)

Spurs Brazil
09-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Mullin hopes Ellis will learn from injury sustained in mo-ped accident

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3609635

phyzik
09-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Its one thing to get hurt on a moped....

Its a whole different animal when your a multi-millionaire athletic basketball star that gets hurt on a moped.

Ellis, if your going to lie, at least say it was a 500hp turbo Hayabusa motorcycle or some shit... a fucking moped?