PDA

View Full Version : Iverson Realizes He Could Be Traded, Too

duncan228
09-25-2008, 12:58 AM
Nuggets' Iverson realizes he could be traded, too (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/24/iverson-says-camby-trade-came-as-kind-of-a-shock/?partner=RSS)
Camby trade came as 'kind of a shock'
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News

Since the Nuggets went into a cost-cutting mode during the summer and traded Marcus Camby to the Clippers for next to nothing, many have wondered: Could Allen Iverson be the next big-dollar player to go?

Including Iverson.

"It's a possibility," Iverson said in an interview Wednesday with the Rocky after working out Wednesday with teammates at the Pepsi Center. "We'll just see what happens. I wouldn't be upset either way because it's a business. . . . The one thing about a trade is when somebody trades for you, they want you. That's what you want as an athlete."

With Iverson, the Nuggets' highest-paid player at $20.84 million, entering the final year of his contract, many believe he could be dealt by the February trading deadline because the Nuggets wouldn't want to risk losing him for nothing when he becomes a free agent in July. He could be very attractive to a team seeking salary-cap room in 2009.

While Iverson said his "first choice" remains to stay with the Nuggets and "sign back" with them in the summer, he said "that situation" with Camby has made him believe he could be dealt. He also has talked with his representatives.

"My agent (Leon Rose) and my manager (Gary Moore), they let me know (being traded is) a possibility," Iverson said. "But that's not something that I concern myself with. I go out and play as hard as I can and whatever happens, happens."

Nuggets executive Mark Warkentien declined comment. Nuggets coach George Karl was asked about the possibility of Iverson being dealt by the trading deadline.

"I don't think that's on the table, but you never know what the league will deliver you," Karl said. "You never know what packages will come your way."

As for Iverson being back with Denver in 2009-10, Karl quipped, "I don't think any of us might be here (if the Nuggets don't have playoff success after five straight first-round exits)."

Iverson during the summer was willing to opt out of the final season of his contract and sign a multiyear deal with the Nuggets. His camp even presented the option of Iverson playing for less money this season, but the Nuggets never came back with an offer.

"I was kind of bothered by it," Iverson said. "Being the fact that, from the time that I got here (in December 2006), I gave them everything I had. Obviously, I did some good things. . . . I thought they would at least make an offer for me to turn down. I thought they'd at least offer me a dollar or something.

"But there aren't no hard feelings. I feel like there are good people around here. They have their reasons for why they didn't do anything, just like they got their reasons for what they did with Marcus."

Iverson said he's "set for life" and "obviously . . . would consider" taking a pay cut next season.

"It's a good feeling because this will be the first time that I'll be a free agent," the 33-year-old, 12-year veteran said. "It's something different in my career. . . . Next summer, it's going to be a fun time for me because I get to weigh my options and go wherever I want to go."

While Iverson's preference is to be with the Nuggets in 2009-10, the Camby trade has created more uncertainty.

"It was kind of a shock," Iverson said of the deal in which Camby was sent to the Clippers for the right to swap second-round picks in 2010 and a $10 million trade exception. "I didn't expect it. . . . We didn't get any players, right? That was probably the strangest part of it all. . . . Like everybody else, you sit around and wonder like, 'Why did it happen and how could something like that happen.' But, like I said, it's a business."

Iverson will see if the business of basketball results in his having a new address come February.

"If I go somewhere else, it's going to be 20,000 more people that's going to watch me play as hard as I can, night in, night out," he said.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-25-2008, 01:24 AM
He won't be a Nugget next season. JR is the SG of the future and AI plays way too minutes for JR to be 100% effective off the bench.

I wish AI would slide to PG and learn to play pass-first bball :lol

bdictjames
09-25-2008, 05:49 AM
AI is indirectly asking for a trade again.

Sissiborgo
09-25-2008, 07:31 AM
He should be happy he should get in another team and start all over again by playing at he's best...:toast

SenorSpur
09-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Hmmm. And I wonder where are all those pundits that predicted a Nuggets championship the moment Iverson arrived in Denver?

IronMexican
09-25-2008, 10:59 AM
He CLEARLY wants to be a Laker! Come on Allen! we're here waiting!:lol

bdictjames
09-25-2008, 11:15 AM
2 ballhogs on the same team? That's basically the same as his situation in Denver.

pauls931
09-25-2008, 12:07 PM
You know who needs him? Golden State.

SenorSpur
09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
2 ballhogs on the same team? That's basically the same as his situation in Denver.

Exactly!

AI's game will NEVER change. He's a volume shooter who pounds the rock, thereby inhibiting ball movement.

JamStone
09-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Hmmm. And I wonder where are all those pundits that predicted a Nuggets championship the moment Iverson arrived in Denver?

"I categorically and irrefutably deny making any such preposterous statement of nonesense. And, furthermore, I'm quite insulted by the insinuation that someone could imply I would attempt to make such a certifiably insane prediction. Thank you very much."

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc11/joejam414/StevenASmith.jpg

Private Joker
09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

rAm
09-25-2008, 01:41 PM

Worst Troll Ever, mono you suck.

bdictjames
09-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Exactly!

AI's game will NEVER change. He's a volume shooter who pounds the rock, thereby inhibiting ball movement.
I dont think anyone in the entire NBA is a ballhog like AI is. When he's not a ballhog he's just a decent player that's it.

JamStone
09-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Iverson's averaged over 7 assists the last four seasons.

AI dominates the ball, but not more so than other ball dominating scoring players like LeBron, Kobe, Wade, T-Mac, Arenas, among others.

bdictjames
09-25-2008, 02:23 PM
What is his turnover rate?

TDMVPDPOY
09-25-2008, 02:43 PM

too many to keep count dude

JamStone
09-25-2008, 02:57 PM

Last year, 2.99 turnovers a game. For his career, 3.68 TO.

Kobe Bryant: 3.13 TO last year, 2.94 TO career
LeBron James: 3.4 TO last year, 3.32 TO career
Dwyane Wade: 4.39 TO last year, 3.89 career
Tracy McGrady: 2.42 TO last year, 2.35 career
Gilbert Arenas: 3.19 TO (06-07), 3.33 career

Iverson has turned over the ball a lot during his career. He's a player that often takes risks with the basketball, plus he's always playing 42-43 minute per game. He does dominate the ball and makes most of the decisions on offense, so yes, he's a turnover machine. Plus, he's almost always the smallest player on the court and bigger and longer players get their hands on his passes sometimes. Add to those facts that for many seasons in Philadelphia, he didn't have very good teammates who always knew where to be or catch tough passes that better teammates may have caught.

All that said, sis turnover rate isn't that way off from other ball dominating players.

monosylab1k
09-25-2008, 03:27 PM

:lmao wrong again, junior. stop being such a mangina.

angelbelow
09-25-2008, 05:25 PM
damn would love AI here.

lefty
09-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Do it RC !:downspin:

phyzik
09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
AI running point with Manu and Tim in there.... Parker running point, AI at guard with Tim in there..... Parker running point with AI and Manu in there for some kind of crazy small ball setup....

Private Joker
09-29-2008, 08:38 AM

xtremesteven33
09-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Iverson would never fit into Pops system......