PDA

View Full Version : McCain lies to Letterman!

Thunder Dan
09-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Doesn't show up on Letterman because he was 'racing back to Washington', but he had time to do Katie Couric 2 hours after! Little lies turn to big ones

Nice

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/24/john-mccain-cancels-lette_n_128998.html

Hemotivo
09-25-2008, 07:13 AM
:wakeup

boutons_
09-25-2008, 07:35 AM
The thread title is misleading

Correction: McCain Lies.

Clandestino
09-25-2008, 07:37 AM
actually, letterman normally tapes at 5. he wanted to push it up to 4. mccain couldn't do it. besides... its fucking dave letterman. letterman sucks

ElNono
09-25-2008, 07:47 AM
actually, letterman normally tapes at 5. he wanted to push it up to 4. mccain couldn't do it. besides... its fucking dave letterman. letterman sucks

He did Couric no problem at the same time.

Wild Cobra
09-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Let me get this strait. McCain is suppose to be in Letterman's studio for a 5 PM taping of the show, but Letterman moves it up to 4 PM where McCain is still doing an interview with Couric, and it's McCain's fault?

My God, He's not a miracle worker like Obama claims to be.

clambake
09-25-2008, 12:06 PM

show me. yesterday you claimed that your statements are legitimate, so show me when and where he said that.

ElNono
09-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Let me get this strait. McCain is suppose to be in Letterman's studio for a 5 PM taping of the show, but Letterman moves it up to 4 PM where McCain is still doing an interview with Couric, and it's McCain's fault?

Where did you get this information about the scheduling conflict? McCain actually called Letterman to cancel his appearance, because according to Letterman, who spoke with McCain directly, he was flying to DC to get the financial crisis solved. This is why Letterman got so pissed off when he found out (midway through his show, I might add) that he was 5 blocks away giving an interview to Couric.

Some quotes I found:

McCain spokeswoman Nicole Wallace said Thursday that the campaign “felt this wasn't a night for comedy.”

But on TODAY, McCain spokeswoman Wallace said, “We deeply regret offending Mr. Letterman, but our candidate's priority at this moment is to focus on this crisis.”

clambake
09-25-2008, 12:16 PM
the problem is that he'll lie about the most trivial things.

which means he'll work hard on lying about matters of serious importance.

ducks
09-25-2008, 12:22 PM
The thread title is misleading

Correction: McCain Lies.

all politicions lie correction

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 12:42 PM
All that and, remember:

Couric is a News Anchor -- and the interview was live -- while Letterman is an entertainer -- who would be editing for effect. Big difference in the the type and purpose of the two interviews.

clambake
09-25-2008, 12:45 PM
All that and, remember:

Couric is a News Anchor -- and the interview was live -- while Letterman is an entertainer -- who would be editing for effect. Big difference in the the type and purpose of the two interviews.

so you agree it was a juvenile lie from mccain?

you didn't forget the point, did you?

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 12:58 PM
so you agree it was a juvenile lie from mccain?

you didn't forget the point, did you?
No, where's the lie?

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 12:59 PM
No, where's the lie?

Try and keep up. He told Letterman he couldn't appear on the show because he was "rushing off to the airport".

ploto
09-25-2008, 01:02 PM
McCain went to Couric because Palin was so awful in her interview with her.

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Try and keep up. He told Letterman he couldn't appear on the show because he was "rushing off to the airport".
Where's the "rushing off to the airport" quote, in context please. Or, the "racing back to Washington," quote, for that matter. I've only seen them in this thread.

I do see where his campaign was quoted as saying they were sorry to have offended Letterman but, this wasn't a night for comedy.

KenMcCoy
09-25-2008, 01:04 PM
WGAF, there is a difference between doing a serious interview on ABC than showing up for a late night COMEDY show. The economy is in serious meltdown according to Obama's economic advisor and you want him to go on a COMEDY show? Gimme a break, there are actual matters at hand that need to be taken care of.

Shastafarian
Where's the "rushing off to the airport" quote, in context please. Or, the "racing back to Washington," quote, for that matter. I've only seen them in this thread.

I do see where his campaign was quoted as saying they were sorry to have offended Letterman but, this wasn't a night for comedy.

The quote is from Letterman BEFORE he found out McCain was with Couric. I guess you're gonna claim he's lying though so why does it matter?

I Love Me Some Me
the problem is that he'll lie about the most trivial things.

which means he'll work hard on lying about matters of serious importance.

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky."

clambake
09-25-2008, 01:07 PM
then why the childish lie? he's extremely willing to lie.

whats worse.....the liar......or those that protect the liar?

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 01:14 PM
The quote is from Letterman BEFORE he found out McCain was with Couric. I guess you're gonna claim he's lying though so why does it matter?
Your source already claimed that Letterman was mocking McCain. I'd like to know what the McCain campaign actually said to Letterman when they cancelled the appearance.

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Your source already claimed that Letterman was mocking McCain. I'd like to know what the McCain campaign actually said to Letterman when they cancelled the appearance.

Well you're shit out of luck unless someone recorded it. I also don't think Letterman was mocking him when he told his audience why McCain wasn't going to be there.

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Well you're shit out of luck unless someone recorded it. I also don't think Letterman was mocking him when he told his audience why McCain wasn't going to be there.
Of course you don't.

pickle girl
09-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Jesus can't the poor man get his diaper changed first?

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Of course you don't.

Whatever. I don't think Letterman would tell people McCain told him he was going to the airport if McCain didn't really say it.

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Whatever. I don't think Letterman would tell people McCain told him he was going to the airport if McCain didn't really say it.
Letterman would say anthing to set up a joke.

Wild Cobra
09-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Where did you get this information about the scheduling conflict? McCain actually called Letterman to cancel his appearance, because according to Letterman, who spoke with McCain directly, he was flying to DC to get the financial crisis solved. This is why Letterman got so pissed off when he found out (midway through his show, I might add) that he was 5 blocks away giving an interview to Couric.

Some quotes I found:

McCain spokeswoman Nicole Wallace said Thursday that the campaign “felt this wasn't a night for comedy.”

But on TODAY, McCain spokeswoman Wallace said, “We deeply regret offending Mr. Letterman, but our candidate's priority at this moment is to focus on this crisis.”

I was going by two things.

Link from posting #1:

"In the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

From posting #4:

If I was wrong, so be it. Like I said at the beginning of my post:

Let me get this strait.

That is a form of a question, right?

ElNono
09-25-2008, 01:56 PM
I was going by two things.

Link from posting #1:
"In the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

That's a misquote. Letterman actually said: “He doesn’t seem to be racing to the airport, does he? Hey, John, I got a question! You need a ride to the airport?”

From posting #4:

I'm still looking for a source about this. Hey, not pinning it onto you. I was just wondering because you are the second to bring this up. I thought somehow I missed the source.

If I was wrong, so be it. Like I said at the beginning of my post:
Let me get this strait.
That is a form of a question, right?

It's not you I have a problem with. It's the two faced McCain, bullshitting again (Not that Obama doesn't do it too). Not that we all didn't know this whole campaign suspension was anything other than a political stunt.

Crookshanks
09-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Oh my god! You libs are just too stupid for words! If McCain HAD gone on Letterman, you'd be bashing him for not taking the financial crisis seriously. So he does an interview with Couric instead of appearing on Letterman and now it's a serious crime. Give me a break! Considering Letterman's political leanings - you don't think he just might say something that makes McCain look bad? Bottom line - WHO CARES!

Wild Cobra
09-25-2008, 02:30 PM
That's a misquote. Letterman actually said: “He doesn’t seem to be racing to the airport, does he? Hey, John, I got a question! You need a ride to the airport?”

That wasn't the part I was refering to. I guess I should have used bold lettering.

This:

Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview

Assuming this is true, then how is McCain to be at two places at once? It was while Letterman was doing his taping. It was an easy assumption to make that the 5PM to 4PM change was accurate.

Think about how many slanderous lies we have had from the left about the right, especially Palin. I question the accuracy of the other claims out there for that reason.

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Assuming this is true, then how is McCain to be at two places at once? It was while Letterman was doing his taping. It was an easy assumption to make that the 5PM to 4PM change was accurate.

Think about how many slanderous lies we have had from the left about the right, especially Palin. I question the accuracy of the other claims out there for that reason.

It's also easy to assume Dave was taping at the regular time and McCain canceled so he could get interviewed by Couric. Anyone know when Couric tapes?

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 02:33 PM
It's also easy to assume Dave was taping at the regular time and McCain canceled so he could get interviewed by Couric. Anyone know when Couric tapes?
My understanding is the Couric interview was live.

Oh, Gee!!
09-25-2008, 02:35 PM

i think dave was watching and commenting on the interview as it was happening live. i think he tapes at the same time the news goes on the air.

Crookshanks
09-25-2008, 02:38 PM
My understanding is the Couric interview was live.

Yoni - this may be above the level of intelligence of some of these libs - they can't grasp the difference between a LIVE interview and a TAPED program.

Besides, why should they let facts get in the way of their childish rants?

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Yoni - this may be above the level of intelligence of some of these libs - they can't grasp the difference between a LIVE interview and a TAPED program.

Besides, why should they let facts get in the way of their childish rants?

Awww shucks thanks for the media lesson. It's just a shame it doesn't matter whether the Couric interview was TAPED or LIVE. It only matters what time it happened.

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Awww shucks thanks for the media lesson. It's just a shame it doesn't matter whether the Couric interview was TAPED or LIVE. It only matters what time it happened.
Actually, that doesn't matter either.

What matters - in the context of this thread - is whether or not the claims of McCain lying are true. And, without know what McCain (or his campaign) claimed to be the reason he cancelled Letterman, you're blowing smoke.

Crookshanks
09-25-2008, 02:47 PM

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

i think dave was watching and commenting on the interview as it was happening live.

"In the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview

Hmmm - seems the LIVE interview was happening AT THE SAME TIME as the TAPED program. :rolleyes

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Hmmm - seems the LIVE interview was happening AT THE SAME TIME as the TAPED program. :rolleyes

What's your point? I'm asking what time Couric usually airs. If it's 5 then we know Letterman didn't tape early.

Wild Cobra
09-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, in some research I did find out that Letterman normally starts the taping of his show at 5 PM. Couric's show is at 6:30 PM, but I didn't find out if it's live of taped. If we believe the Huffington Post, which i seldom do, it is a live show.

Maybe McCain did blow off Letterman...

Maybe Letterman made the whole thing up... Was McCain really scheduled?

Maybe Letterman was late and McCain could't make a later taping...

We simply do not know the truth, and I haven't seen any reliable sources on the issue yet.

What if... McCain went to the studio, and Dave was late.

McCain: Where's Dave?

Studio secretary: He's been delayed senator, can you wait an hour please?

McCain: Sorry, I cannot. I have other things to do.

and leaves....

clambake
09-25-2008, 03:15 PM
we know that he lied to letterman.......and it's trivial........and he thinks the truth is of little importance.

clambake
09-25-2008, 03:16 PM
:lmao straight talk express is what he calls this?

Wild Cobra
09-25-2008, 03:22 PM
we know that he lied to letterman.......and it's trivial........and he thinks the truth is of little importance.

Can you show me a trustworthy link that supports that contention?

clambake
09-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Can you show me a trustworthy link that supports that contention?

turn on a tv so you can watch (and then tell me that letterman lied to a national audience)

oh yeah, you said you try to always post the truth. where is the link to the claim you made about "obama claims to be a miracle worker"?

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 03:47 PM
turn on a tv so you can watch (and then tell me that letterman lied to a national audience)

oh yeah, you said you try to always post the truth. where is the link to the claim you made about "obama claims to be a miracle worker"?
I wouldn't claim that Letterman lied either...maybe he just inferred that McCain was headed back to Washington based on what he was told. I would imagine it was McCain's people calling Letterman's people and neither of the two had anything to do with the conversation.

Letterman said whatever fit the narrative for his show. That's cool, he's an entertainer (not a good one, mind you) and he's allowed to take liberties with the facts to make his show entertaining.

So, when Letterman pulls out the prop phone and dials someone -- supposedly out of the blue -- do you think that's reallly happening? Or, is he lying? Or, is he just trying to be entertaining?

ploto
09-25-2008, 03:49 PM
I would imagine it was McCain's people calling Letterman's people and neither of the two had anything to do with the conversation.

Letterman specifically said that he respected that McCain called him himself.

ploto
09-25-2008, 03:52 PM
He suspended his campaign but he was doing an interview with Katie Couric?

He suspended his campaign but he speaking Thursday in NY at the Global Initiative.

Apparently, a suspended campaign can do everything but debate.

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 03:54 PM

He suspended his campaign but he speaking Thursday in NY at the Global Initiative.

Don't forget sending his minions on TV all day today

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Newsworthy...but, not entertainment worthy.

With the pending agreement, he may yet debate. Wouldn't that throw a wrench in your argument.

Spurminator
09-25-2008, 04:00 PM
It's clear that McCain snubbed Letterman, and it might not have been the smartest thing to do politically, but really... Letterman is not as important as you (and he) think he is. It's a bit of a stretch to suggest that this negatively reflects on McCain as a potential President somehow.

It did make for great TV though.

Wild Cobra
09-25-2008, 04:06 PM

Pssst...

Wake up...

He suspended his campagn this morning. This is yesterdays events...

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Pssst...

Wake up...

If he suspended his campaign why did I see Nicole Wallace on MSNBC this morning railing on Obama?

clambake
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
he should suspend his campaign. its in the toilet.

ElNono
09-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't claim that Letterman lied either...maybe he just inferred that McCain was headed back to Washington based on what he was told. I would imagine it was McCain's people calling Letterman's people and neither of the two had anything to do with the conversation.

Letterman said he spoke with McCain himself. There's no 'misunderstanding' here.

Wild Cobra
09-25-2008, 04:22 PM

You know, you're not important enough for me to respond to right away, but I actully have time right now. It's raining outside.

I at least respect people like ElNono, and try to answer them in a civil manner. ElNono isn't subject to the power of liberal media suggestion like most of you. I think Peabody can be included in that, and so few other liberals here.

First off, I only see Letterman's word on any of this. Like Yoni points out, he is an entertainer and takes priviledge with the truth regularly. I think it's very important to determine the actual timeframes before jumping to conclusions. As it stands, most you liberals are yet again, subject to the power of suggestion. Isn't that a trait of a weak mind?

As for my statement about Obama being a miricle worker, I did phrase that poorly. I meant to use the implication associated with the holy stature Obama has in the eyes of many people. I think most people uderstood what I was doing even though I did a poor job on the joke. Afterall, Obama thinks it's not important to be in Washington, but somehow, magically, can be effective at his job while campaigning? Sound's like he's trying to be two places at once!

clambake
09-25-2008, 04:24 PM
thats why i said to watch the program, dipshit.

Wild Cobra
09-25-2008, 04:25 PM
If he suspended his campaign why did I see Nicole Wallace on MSNBC this morning railing on Obama?
My God man. Why are you such a pain? He never said first thing in the morning, he had some scheduled events first. That must have been one of them. He said he was suspending his campaign after a spacific event, I don't recall what it was.

Did you miss the memo?

ChumpDumper
Afterall, Obama thinks it's not important to be in Washington, but somehow, magically, can be effective at his job while campaigning?So you opposed Bush's campaigning for himself in 2004, and HW in 92 and Reagan in 84.

clambake
and you phrased that exactly how you meant it.

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 04:27 PM
My God man. Why are you such a pain? He never said first thing in the morning, he had some scheduled events first. That must have been one of them. He said he was suspending his campaign after a spacific event, I don't recall what it was.

Did you miss the memo?

:lol Apparently I did miss that memo. I seem to remember him saying he was suspending his campaign first thing in the morning. Maybe I misheard. Maybe you're just an apologist. I'd go with the latter. MY GOD MAN!

ploto
09-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Pssst...

Wake up...

No- he spoke in New York at the Global Initiative TODAY.

He even said in his speech that he had suspended his campaign!! :lol

Wild Cobra
09-25-2008, 04:38 PM
No- he spoke in New York at the Global Initiative TODAY.

Yes. Your point?

He said he was going to this event, then suspend his campaigning afterwards!

ploto
He even said in his speech that he had suspended his campaign!!

George Gervin's Afro

Did you miss the memo?

IN other words you give McCain the benefit of the doubt? Yet never to Obama , or any other Dem for that matter...hmmmm

clambake
09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Yes. Your point?

He said he was going to this event, then suspend his campaigning afterwards!

MY GOD MAN!

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 04:39 PM
IN other words you give McCain the benefit of the doubt? Yet never to Obama , or any other Dem for that matter...hmmmm

My God Man!!! Don't question his reasoning! My god!

George Gervin's Afro
09-25-2008, 04:41 PM
My God Man!!! Don't question his reasoning! My god!

OH MY GOD BECKY!:wow

clambake
09-25-2008, 04:43 PM
MY GOD he's not lying! When you're that old we call it something else!

Wild Cobra
09-25-2008, 05:21 PM
As for Letterman's ability to tell the truth on his show, what do you liberals think about this statement he made at the end of that YouTube clip:

Ah... We're told now, that the senator has concluded his interview with Katie Couric, and he's now on with Rachael Ray making veal picatta.

Is that true too?

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 05:23 PM
As for Letterman's ability to tell the truth on his show, what do you liberals think about this statement he made at the end of that YouTube clip:

Is that true too?
My God Man! Can't you discern what comedic timing is?