PDA

View Full Version : Bill Clinton: Delay the debates, McCain acted in good faith

KenMcCoy
09-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Appearing on Good Morning America Thursday, Clinton told ABC News' Chris Cuomo that McCain's push to postpone the debate would only be a good political move if both candidates agreed. McCain announced on Wednesday that he would "suspend" his presidential campaign to come to Washington to help negotiate a financial bailout bill

"We know he didn't do it because he's afraid because Sen. McCain wanted more debates," Clinton said, adding that he was "encouraged" by the joint statement from McCain and Sen. Barack Obama.
"You can put it off a few days the problem is it's hard to reschedule those things," Clinton said, "I presume he did that in good faith since I know he wanted -- I remember he asked for more debates to go all around the country and so I don't think we ought to overly parse that."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/bill-clinton-do.html

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 09:36 AM
God I hate Bill Clinton.

Anti.Hero
09-25-2008, 09:36 AM
hahaha

KenMcCoy
09-25-2008, 09:39 AM
God I hate Bill Clinton.

Oddly, I am starting to respect him more and more since he has started "supporting" Obama.

boutons_
09-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Slick Willy is doing his best to torpedo the Dems chances. Sore loser. He should team up with Lieberman and join the Repug party.

McWorse has chickened out of the foreign policy debate because it had turned into an domestic economic debate.

If Congress also chickens out and gets stampeded into doing a deal today, will McYellowBelly have time and energy to drag his old carcass down to Mississippi?

Anti.Hero
09-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Funny how it took running against the dynamic duo to realize repugs were right all along.

cool hand
09-25-2008, 09:46 AM
bullshit these parties are getting together to help their rich friends

KenMcCoy
09-25-2008, 09:47 AM
He should team up with Lieberman and join the Repug party.

I can see that happenning with the way they've been acting lately.

VaSpursFan
09-25-2008, 09:52 AM
bullshit these parties are getting together to help their rich friends

agree...there is only one party and that's the "green" party. green as in $$$$. party affiliation is simply a way to distract, divide and conquer. both parties make me want to puke.

Findog
09-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Hillary 2012!

FromWayDowntown
09-25-2008, 10:05 AM
It is ironic to see Republicans/conservatives look to Bill Clinton for some sort of political support after spending years disagreeing with everything the guy said or did.

Bartleby
09-25-2008, 10:07 AM
It's shit like this that makes me suspect there is much more bad blood between Obama and the Clintons than they are letting on publicly.

And yet, people still say Obama should have chosen Hillary over Biden.

Findog
09-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Bill Clinton is fucking pathetic. It's transparent that they want McCain to win to clear a path for Hillary in 2012. What they don't understand is that rank and file Democrats will never forgive them for sitting on their hands. Hillary might be able to win a general, but she still doesn't seem to understand why she lost the primary this year and why she'd lose the primary in 2012.

We'd have never have had GWB if not for his zipper foibles. You would think he owes it to the parents of soldiers killed in the Iraq War President Gore would never have started to stump hard for Obama and offer no cover for the GOP. The stakes are too high for this petty grudge-holding because Obama basically beat out Hillary for the job of starting quarterback.

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Bill Clinton is fucking pathetic.
Democrats have won, exactly, 2 out of the last 7 presidential elections...and, guess by whom.

Democrats might be well-advised to listen. But, please...don't.

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 10:11 AM
It is ironic to see Republicans/conservatives look to Bill Clinton for some sort of political support after spending years disagreeing with everything the guy said or did.
We've also spent years begrudgingly admiring his political acumen.

It's pretty ironic that Obama is too arrogant to recognize the benefits of having him on board.

clambake
09-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Democrats have won, exactly, 2 out of the last 7 presidential elections...and, guess by whom.

did bill say this before or after that pathetic juvenile lie that mccain told letterman? :depressed

Bartleby
09-25-2008, 10:14 AM

The same person who ultimately cost them a third and quite possibly a fourth because of his poor judgment.

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 10:17 AM
The same person who ultimately cost them a third and quite possibly a fourth because of his poor judgment.
Gore and Kerry lost in their own right.

101A
09-25-2008, 10:18 AM

"Looking To" and "Taking what is given" are two very different things.

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 10:19 AM

I wonder what would happen if people went after John McCain's war record like they went after Kerry's. Some people have no shame and a lot of those people are affiliated with Karl Rove.

Bartleby
09-25-2008, 10:21 AM

Gore and Kerry were relatively weak candidates who ran shitty campaigns, but Gore would have won in 2000 had Clinton not given Bush an opening on the whole "character" issue. Admittedly, if Gore had been in the White House in 2004, the republicans probably would have won that year anyway given that 12 years is a very long time for one party to hold the WH, but who knows.

nkdlunch
09-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Clinton wants to get into Palin's skirts. thats all. he's got a thing for old nasty women

Findog
09-25-2008, 10:23 AM

Bill Clinton clearly wants McCain to win so Hillary can have a path to the nomination in 2012. Her essential message would be "Obama had his chance and couldn't close the deal." They are putting their political ambitions ahead of what is good for the country. So I'm not going to listen to anything that they have to say. McCain and Palin are diametrically opposed to everything the Clintons supposedly stand for. They're utterly transparent.

FromWayDowntown
09-25-2008, 10:23 AM
"Looking To" and "Taking what is given" are two very different things.

Passively or actively, the thought of conservatives giving credence to anything that Bill Clinton says must be positively stomach-turning to them.

MannyIsGod
09-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't see where he said anything about "the debates SHOULD be delayed"

2centsworth
09-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Passively or actively, the thought of conservatives giving credence to anything that Bill Clinton says must be positively stomach-turning to them.

financial conservatives like myself voted for the guy twice, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

TheMadHatter
09-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Hilary Clinton lost the primaries because she was lying outright during her campaign. I specifically remember being disgusted at her outright lies against Obama that I decided not to vote for her. I know many of my friends felt the same way. Obama still strikes me as a different kind of candidate and I felt he would best represent the Democratic party this year.

That being said, there is bad blood between Obama and the Clintons. The primaries were brutal, perhaps the most competitive I've ever seen in my life. Hilary has done her part in at least appearing to be on Obama's side, but that is because she is still a senator and it would not be in her interest to show any hint of negativity towards Obama. Her husband, on the other hand, has no such restrictions. He's doing the absolute bare minimum he can to help Obama out and to be quite honest it really seems like he's giving McCain far too many compliments.

Perhaps he is upset that the Democratic Party has finally found their now voice and leader. Obama is the first candidate in 8 years that has truly energized the Democratic Party, I suspect that doesn't sit right with Clinton. He wants to see Hilary in '12 not '17.

MannyIsGod
09-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Fiscal conservatives are a rare breed.

Cartman
09-25-2008, 10:33 AM

Finding a Palin supporter in this forum ever rarer!

2centsworth
09-25-2008, 10:35 AM

in washington.

2centsworth
09-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Finding a Palin supporter in this forum ever rarer!
what in the world are you talking about mouse. Palin knows more about Energy than the other three combined. Key issues for this country as I see it are Health, Energy and Defense. McCain/Palin have 2 of 3 covered.

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 10:38 AM
what in the world are you talking about mouse. Palin knows more about Energy than the other three combined. Key issues for this country as I see it are Health, Energy and Defense. McCain/Palin have 2 of 3 covered.

You mean how she thought Alaska produced 20% of the energy in the United States when in fact it produces 3.5% (only 14% oil so even if she meant oil she'd be wrong)?

Bartleby
09-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Palin knows more about Energy than the other three combined.

And Russia, too.

boutons_
09-25-2008, 10:42 AM
"I remember he asked for more debates to go all around the country"

yes, McWorse was behind in the polls then, and he's cratering now.

The entire crisis story has taken on a totally Repug-scripted stink.

Paulsen, Bernanke, dubya fabricate a crisis, the entire economy at risk, paint it extremely urgent, needing $700B with no strings attached and within 7 days max.

McWorse suspends his trailing campaign, postpones a debate he wanted so badly all summer, and rides his white stallion into DC to save the day. I'm sure McWorse's staff has all scripts already written to spin that the crisis was saved by McSuperMan all by himself, while HUSSEIN obstructed every step of the way.

yey, yep, entirely too good for McWorse to be true.

"good faith" GMAFB.

We all know McWorse and the Repugs will literally do anything to throw an election. This "crisis" is an anything.

FromWayDowntown
09-25-2008, 11:06 AM
financial conservatives like myself voted for the guy twice, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Yeah, I probably should have named the duplicitous conservatives of whom I speak by name -- all of the millions of them.

I'm genuinely sorry to have cast my net just that small bit too broadly to have encompassed you within it.

2centsworth
09-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I probably should have named the duplicitous conservatives of whom I speak by name -- all of the millions of them.

I'm genuinely sorry to have cast my net just that small bit too broadly to have encompassed you within it.

you mean like the all lawyers are crooked net.

SpursFanFirst
09-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Oddly, I am starting to respect him more and more since he has started "supporting" Obama.

:lol :tu

FromWayDowntown
09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
you mean like the all lawyers are crooked net.

Not particularly. I'd hazard a guess that more conservatives despised Clinton and disputed just about everything that he said during his time in office -- those who didn't are the rarer. By contrast, most lawyers I know are upstanding people who play by the rules, making those who are "crooked" rarer.

2centsworth
09-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Not particularly. I'd hazard a guess that more conservatives despised Clinton
I hazard to say that most non-lawyers despise lawyers.

and disputed just about everything that he said during his time in office -- those who didn't are the rarer. same with lawyers.

By contrast, most lawyers I know are upstanding people who play by the rules, making those who are "crooked" rarer.

most stretch "The Rules" for profit. Doesn't matter though, I don't mean to cast a blanket over you.

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 11:46 AM
I wonder what would happen if people went after John McCain's war record like they went after Kerry's.
They'd find out just how different the two of them behaved when they were in the military.

I fucking dare some idiot to try and go after McCain's war record. That'd be hilarious.

FromWayDowntown
09-25-2008, 11:47 AM
I hazard to say that most non-lawyers despise lawyers.

Because bad lawyers cause all lawyers to be vilified.

same with lawyers.

Not a clue what this means.

most stretch "The Rules" for profit. Doesn't matter though, I don't mean to cast a blanket over you.

That's an untrue statement. Some stretch the rules for profit, most that I know (and I'll hazard a guess that I know more lawyers than you do) don't do that because professional ethics prohibit it and most lawyers I know feel duty-bound to comply with those ethics. As such, I think my point holds, regardless of your disdain (or anyone else's) of lawyers.

I appreciate, however, that you get the ultimate point regarding generalities.

I'll be sure to let you know from now on whether I intend to catch you in my net or not.

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Bill Clinton clearly wants McCain to win so Hillary can have a path to the nomination in 2012. Her essential message would be "Obama had his chance and couldn't close the deal." They are putting their political ambitions ahead of what is good for the country. So I'm not going to listen to anything that they have to say. McCain and Palin are diametrically opposed to everything the Clintons supposedly stand for. They're utterly transparent.
Is this a sudden realization on your part?

Shastafarian
09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
They'd find out just how different the two of them behaved when they were in the military.

John Kerry wasn't a POW, I'll give you that. But if you're claiming that the swift-boaters (who weren't even with Kerry during the war) are telling the truth then you're a bigger hack than I thought.

Findog
09-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Is this a sudden realization on your part?

Not at all. I just thought he could do a better job of hiding it. They think this opens it up for Hillary in 2012. They forget most rank and file Dem voters will never forgive them if Obama loses and they sat on the sidelines.

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Not at all. I just thought he could do a better job of hiding it. They think this opens it up for Hillary in 2012. They forget most rank and file Dem voters will never forgive them if Obama loses and they sat on the sidelines.
We can only hope.

fyatuk
09-25-2008, 12:47 PM
John Kerry wasn't a POW, I'll give you that. But if you're claiming that the swift-boaters (who weren't even with Kerry during the war) are telling the truth then you're a bigger hack than I thought.

Of course they weren't very truthful. Anything that involves the initials PAC means they are at least exagerrating the truth.

But the Swift-boaters did bring up valid concerns about Kerry's service and medals and helped catch Kerry in a couple flat out lies. They certainly way overexaggerated everything, but there were certainly issues there.

Not that there aren't some issues with McCain's service that could be made a bigger deal of, but denying there was some truth to the Swift-boaters is the same as believing them at face value.

Yonivore
09-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Swiftboat Veterans for Truth aside, John Kerry hurried home when he earned his third Purple Heart (which included two rather dubious injuries) while John McCain refused early release after having been tortured for months because he knew what it would mean to those left behind.

John Kerry threw someone else's medals over the White House fence in protest. John McCain came home, finished his military commitment and began a political career.

John Kerry lied in testimony to Congress about the actions of soldier in Vietnam during the Winter Soldier hearings. John McCain supported veterans after separation.

There's more than just that McCain was a P.O.W. and Kerry was not.

boutons_
09-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Bottom-of-the-class Naval Academy beneficiary of affirmative action, McWorse's POW experiences are irrelevant to being President. In no way are they qualifications.

Whatever character he showed in staying behind in VN has been totally offset by

cheating on and abandoning his first incapacitated wife,

being compromised by Keating for years,

his repeated snuffing out of POW/MIA recovery efforts,

his hiding of all military records of his POW experience,

and his current campaign of non-stop lies,

including yesterday's sandbagging stunt of HUSSEIN's initiative that they both take a common stance on the mortgage crisis.

One could say that the wear-and-tear of 5 years POW confinement aged him physically, and probably mentally, so that he's effectively in his late 70s, combined with the fact that he's overweight and unfit.