PDA

View Full Version : Blazer buzz gets louder

tlongII
09-25-2008, 12:11 PM
http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=122229026077345300

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news_graphics/122229118505185300.jpg

In the minds of many of their followers, the Trail Blazers are in the beginning stages of a dynasty.

Or at least they’re a contender for the NBA championship.

General Manager Kevin Pritchard and Nate McMillan, on the other hand, will settle for the franchise’s first berth in the postseason since 2003.

“Our next step is to get to the playoffs,” says McMillan, who will begin his fourth season at the Portland helm Monday with the beginning of training camp.

“I understand what the fans are thinking,” McMillan says. “I know we’re adding some young guys to this roster. There’s a lot of hype. But we’re still in a very tough conference. We can’t get caught inthe trap, thinking we’re good, or we’re great, or we’ve arrived.

“I’ve never been one to talk about what we’re going to do, and I won’t start now. We have to show what we can do on the floor. I’ve said since I’ve been here, it’s not about us talking about it; it’s about us going out and showing it. But after 41 wins last year? It’s time for us to get to the playoffs.”

A few opponents – notably San Antonio, the L.A. Lakers, Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, New Orleans and Utah – will have something to say about it.

Is it reasonable to think that Portland will finish ahead of teams such as Denver and Golden State and get to the playoffs?

“Don’t know that yet,” Pritchard says. “Haven’t seen our players together yet. We have some talent. Our goal is to get to the playoffs, but the (competition in) the Western Conference is no joke.

“We will have to have a good season to get into the playoffs.”

Portland returns its key players from a year ago, including franchise keystones Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge.

Newcomers Greg Oden, Rudy Fernandez and Jerryd Bayless have created a buzz about the franchise not seen since the 1999-2000 team reached the West finals.

“But all those guys coming in are rookies,” McMillan cautions. “There is going to be a learning curve. It’s not going to happen for them overnight.

“We know we’re going to have to be patient and let them play. They may fall, but the more playing time they get, the faster they will become players in this league.”

Depth would seem to be a strength.

Players will vie for floor time
This will be McMillan’s ninth season as a head coach in Seattle and Portland, “and there is going to be a lot of competition for minutes, probably the most of any team I’ve had,” he says.

“There are a lot of guys who can play,” McMillan says. “All of them can’t play (in the rotation), and they know that. I expect practice to be very competitive, with guys trying to get on the floor (in games). It should be a very competitive camp.”

Roy, Aldridge, Oden, Steve Blake and Martell Webster will go into the season as starters, though Roy’s availability will be limited through training camp and the preseason following his Aug. 14 knee surgery.

Oden, who had microfracture knee surgery a year ago, also may have some early restrictions.

Backup forward Channing Frye, who underwent surgery Sept. 8 to remove bone spurs from his left ankle, probably won’t return until late November or December.

Veteran center-forward Raef LaFrentz could be out most of the season after Sept. 12 surgery to repair a torn labrum.

“I’ll be listening to (trainer) Jay Jensen and the doctors with Brandon, Greg and Frye – how much they can practice and when they’ll be ready to go,” McMillan says. “We want to get a look at Brandon with the starting group, but we won’t play him but a couple of games in the preseason. The main thing is to have (Roy and Oden) ready for the regular season.”

Fernandez, then, will benefit from Roy’s absence in that he likely will slide into a starting backcourt slot alongside Blake for several of the exhibition games.

“Even if Brandon were available, my plan would be to play Rudy as many minutes as possible in the preseason,” McMillan says of the 6-5 Spanish phenom. “The more he plays, the quicker he’ll adjust to the NBA game.”

Preseason allows rotation
Through the preseason, Bayless, point guard Sergio Rodriguez, small forward Travis Outlaw, power forward Ike Diogu and center Joel Przybilla will command the most minutes off the bench.

Once the regular season begins Oct. 30 at Staples Center against the L.A. Lakers, McMillan will begin to settle on a rotation.

“Ideally, it will be eight or nine guys,” he says. “I’ve always played nine, 9 1/2 guys. It’s difficult to play 10 when you have a guy like Brandon, who gets so much time.

“I’m expecting Greg and LaMarcus to play around 35 minutes each. If that’s the case, you can’t play 10 guys. Somebody will get minutes like Sergio did last year – five, maybe eight minutes.

“If we can get away with playing 10 guys, we’ll run two units out there. If not, we’ll play nine.”

JamStone
09-25-2008, 12:43 PM
the Trail Blazers are in the beginning stages of a dynasty.

Or at least they’re a contender for the NBA championship.

Those two things are basically the same thing... :rolleyes

Reggie Miller
09-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Don't they know they can just start their own Dynasty by opening an evil vineyard and winery?

Oh shit... Nevermind, that was Falcon Crest...

robbie380
09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
they will be a nice 8 seed

Rappin' Shaq
09-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Damn! Tlong always jockin on the Blazers
Yappin bout titles they'll only win on paper
Starts off lookin strong but so quick to fall
Won't be long before Tlong gags on Oden's balls

After kicking Oden's ass, up next is Brandon Roy
I'll toss his ragged bitch ass around like a little boy
Then I'll elbow Rudy's grill, put another Euro at bay
His head snappin back and to the left like JFK

Tlong remember that 15 point lead in the 4th quarter?
And how I wrecked that shit, much to your horror
The Blazers organization is a fucking disgrace
Yo tlongII, tell me how my ass taste!

pauls931
09-25-2008, 07:01 PM

Rappin' Shaq?

WildcardManu
09-25-2008, 07:19 PM

:lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-25-2008, 08:48 PM

:tu It's been awhile Rappin' Shaq.