PDA

View Full Version : bankers want bailout, people don't(who wins?)

cool hand
09-25-2008, 03:11 PM
not the people......what a shame.

boutons_
09-25-2008, 03:24 PM
The committee hasn't finished, only broad outlines, principles, with some strings attached.

A bill has to be written and then voted up by Congress, no? Does it go before Congress or does the committe have full authority to approve it?

If it goes to Congress, I bet there will be a lot more fighitng and opposing.

There's plenty of time and chance for the opposing majority of citizens who to express themselves to their Congress critters.

DarkReign
09-25-2008, 04:27 PM
The committee hasn't finished, only broad outlines, principles, with some strings attached.

A bill has to be written and then voted up by Congress, no? Does it go before Congress or does the committe have full authority to approve it?

If it goes to Congress, I bet there will be a lot more fighitng and opposing.

There's plenty of time and chance for the opposing majority of citizens who to express themselves to their Congress critters.

I wrote my Congresswomen and my two Senators today.

You brought it up, but I think it goes without saying that Congress has to vote to approve or disapprove this legislation. IIRC, there is no sort of provision in our constitution that allows carte blanche over government (except under martial law, but does that apply to Congress as well?).

So yes, IMO, they will have to vote.

boutons_
09-25-2008, 04:31 PM
"Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/d000388/) (D-Conn.), chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, told reporters after the three-hour meeting, "We've reached fundamental agreement on a set of principles" to guide the financial rescue plan, and he said Congress could pass a bill within days."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/25/AR2008092500268.html?hpid=topnews

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-25-2008, 05:35 PM
In a showdown between big business and taxpayers, always bet on big business. Even in an election year.