PDA

View Full Version : whoever votes no on the bailout.

cool hand
09-25-2008, 10:02 PM
gets my vote........If mccain says no...he gets it. if obama says no...he gets it.

ChumpDumper
09-25-2008, 10:05 PM
So no revolution, eh?

Typical.

cool hand
09-25-2008, 10:06 PM
if they both vote yes.....oh yeah.

ChumpDumper
09-25-2008, 10:07 PM
So what will your revolution entail?

cool hand
09-25-2008, 10:09 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Yankee_doodle_1776.jpg

ChumpDumper
09-25-2008, 10:11 PM
You're going to play a fife.

How quaint.

cool hand
09-25-2008, 10:13 PM
but I do know how to operate one of these if I can get my hands on one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/M1A1.jpg

ChumpDumper
09-25-2008, 10:14 PM
So you aren't going to do anything.

cool hand
09-25-2008, 10:16 PM
so you think we live in a totalitarian society.......you are a fuckhead, indeed.

ChumpDumper
09-25-2008, 10:18 PM
so you think we live in a totalitarian society.......you are a fuckhead, indeed.I don't think we live in a totalitarian society. Isn't that what you are supposed to think?

boutons_
09-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Online Bailout Outrage Jumps to Streets, and Into Lawmakers' Inboxes

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/images/2008/09/24/junk.jpg

"An e-mail (http://september252008.wordpress.com/)that began as a rallying cry from a lone journalist to an influential circle of friends to protest the U.S. government bailout of Wall Street has ignited a national day of street protests. Some demonstrators plan to dump their rubbish in front of the bronze bull sculpture near Wall Street in downtown Manhattan Thursday."

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/09/outrage-online.html

The Reckoning
09-26-2008, 12:14 AM
what would happen if they gave $2,000-something dollars to every person in america instead of to the people who screwed up?

everybody would spend it at el pastor

T Park
09-26-2008, 01:28 AM
what would happen if they gave $2,000-something dollars to every person in america instead of to the people who screwed up?

Same thing as what happened when everyone got the 600 dollar rebate check.

baseline bum
09-26-2008, 01:35 AM

People would buy gas?

DarkReign
09-26-2008, 09:14 AM

yup. whole lot of nothing.

Anti.Hero
09-26-2008, 09:15 AM
coolhands I'm with you bro

I'll bring the drums, you bring the flutes!

Thunder Dan
09-26-2008, 09:23 AM
so you are for losing your job and living in a country with nothing to live for since the economy would crumble....interesting

Anti.Hero
09-26-2008, 09:26 AM
so you are for losing your job and living in a country with nothing to live for since the economy would crumble....interesting

It'd make for a great "I told ya so!" moment.

Thunder Dan
09-26-2008, 09:27 AM
everyone understands that this bailout doesn't just help Wall Street that it helps EVERYONE- including the companies most of you work for. Banks are not giving short term loans- so lets say that your company wants to take out a loan, and in that they will pay your salary. They can't take that loan so you lose your job. You losing your job hurts the economy in hundreds of different ways.

This has to be done. It sucks that it does, and I wish it wouldn't, but I don't want to live in a world where banks don't give loans. No doubt it sucks those greedy bastards got themselves into this mess- but the only way out is to do this and to place tight restrictions on them.

Wild Cobra
09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
everyone understands that this bailout doesn't just help Wall Street that it helps EVERYONE- including the companies most of you work for. Banks are not giving short term loans- so lets say that your company wants to take out a loan, and in that they will pay your salary. They can't take that loan so you lose your job. You losing your job hurts the economy in hundreds of different ways.

This has to be done. It sucks that it does, and I wish it wouldn't, but I don't want to live in a world where banks don't give loans. No doubt it sucks those greedy bastards got themselves into this mess- but the only way out is to do this and to place tight restrictions on them.
No it doesn't. It keeps the same slimy bankers and insurers in business!

The fear they are telling us is that there will be no loans for valid reasons. Do you really believe this? All they have to do us use the treasury to seed the loan money through financial firms that have done things right, because the big banks who fail will no longer be there to do that. They might not even have to do that. There might already be enough lending institutes intact for all the needs.

You know who they are bailing out? Probably the investors in the system, who didn't bail out in time. They knew all along that their money was at risk.

I didn't get reimbursed the last time I lost gambling at Spirit Mountain, why should they?

We will survive this. Again, if the fear is people cannot get loans, then let the government give out the loans rather than bail the poor managers out.

DarkReign
09-26-2008, 11:37 AM

See, its my belief Americans need to be punched in the mouth.

I'll assume you have been punched in the mouth before, yes?

The butterflys in your stomach quickly go away, your senses become immediately sharper and your focus on the matter at hand becomes almost religious.

We are being run by the true elite (not this political pandering of elitist thrown around without regard), and these people are real. They own every politician, blue or red or green, to a point where they have carte blanche on all legislation that pertains to them (which is rare since the monetary system in this country is controlled by a non-government agency we call the Federal Reserve....its about as Federal as Federal Express, I believe the saying goes).

Americans need to actively participate in their government more than they do. 30% voter turnout is the penultimate stat of our incompetence and blazé fare (sp?) attitude. The only way to "punch them in the mouth" is by hitting them in the pocketbook.

It is my opinion that this bailout does nothing more than kick the can even further down the road. I say no, I say let it stop here, let the cards fall where they may.

Maybe, just fucking maybe, the American Idol-worshipping, People magazine subscribers of this country will wake the fuck up as a byproduct of this whole mess.

As it stands, this bailout will change nothing for your average American. They never had shit to give a shit. Now what little they do have will be in jeopardy and it will require them to (*GASP!*) actively pay attention to the world around them.

If this bailout goes thru, IMO, it will just continue to keep the sheep ignorant of the wolves. We are not vigilant and we need to be. This is an opportunity, IMO. I say seize the day with both hands. Cull the herd.

cool hand
09-26-2008, 11:45 AM

stop drinking the kool aid.

Thunder Dan
09-26-2008, 12:16 PM
No it doesn't. It keeps the same slimy bankers and insurers in business!

The fear they are telling us is that there will be no loans for valid reasons. Do you really believe this? All they have to do us use the treasury to seed the loan money through financial firms that have done things right, because the big banks who fail will no longer be there to do that. They might not even have to do that. There might already be enough lending institutes intact for all the needs.

You know who they are bailing out? Probably the investors in the system, who didn't bail out in time. They knew all along that their money was at risk.

I didn't get reimbursed the last time I lost gambling at Spirit Mountain, why should they?

We will survive this. Again, if the fear is people cannot get loans, then let the government give out the loans rather than bail the poor managers out.

I have a 720 credit score, with 2 car loans paid off in 5 years, a good job, and no significant debt (maybe $600 on a credit card statement depending on the month). I was turned down for 2 home loans because I have only been at my job for 3 years, and becuase my credit history is only 6 years old. I needed about $20,000 to put down in order for them to approve a loan of a non substantial amount of money Now you are going to tell me that I'm wrong that banks are not loaning out money? I should be able to get that loan every day of the week- but banks are scared. Nobody is getting the money they need to grow because of it.

I agree and wish they could teach these greedy slimy bastards a lesson- but the fact is, America couldn't survive that lesson. Believe me, nobody wants to live in a America without banks. No cars, no homes, no nothing.

Shelly
09-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Say you ARE able to get a loan with good credit, etc. right now. Are the rates horrible?

Thunder Dan
09-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Say you ARE able to get a loan with good credit, etc. right now. Are the rates horrible?

not bad, not great. It depends on why you need it (car,house, boat, personal)

Another example is my college roommate who is a pilot for a major airline was turned down by 4 banks for a boat loan of $15,000 at 9% interest. His payment was going to be about $250 a month- he makes $60,000 a year and has a 780 credit score, and the condition they said was he could qualify only if he a) had a cosigner, or B) put $3500 down (ie 25% of the loan amount). He ended up going with a foreign bank (ING) to get the loan.

I mean this is how banks are supposed to make money- but they are turning it down

Purple & Gold
09-26-2008, 12:31 PM
It's not even the fact that banks will stop giving up loans, its that our economy will go to shit and very fast. The dollar will just plummet like a rock. There is no gold to back up our dollar. We are so market confident driven that if we don't back up our banks and dollar no other country in the world will take our currency seriously. Maybe this is a first step in the Amero, something I believe will eventually happen. It sucks, but it is what it is. This influx of cash is much needed.

Spurminator
09-26-2008, 12:31 PM

I would buy Apple and Samsung stock.

Thunder Dan
09-26-2008, 12:32 PM
no matter how you feel about the bailouts, it is a scary scary time

Supergirl
09-26-2008, 01:04 PM
When/if a deal goes through, I expect we'll see both candidates vote for it.

As the New Yorker article I posted in another thread points out, history shows us that when the economy is facing a crisis it does stabilize it to socialize it. Which is a major problem for the Republicans, since doing so flies in the face of everything their party supposedly stands for.

Wild Cobra
09-26-2008, 01:20 PM
I have a 720 credit score, with 2 car loans paid off in 5 years, a good job, and no significant debt (maybe $600 on a credit card statement depending on the month). I was turned down for 2 home loans because I have only been at my job for 3 years, and becuase my credit history is only 6 years old. I needed about $20,000 to put down in order for them to approve a loan of a non substantial amount of money Now you are going to tell me that I'm wrong that banks are not loaning out money? I should be able to get that loan every day of the week- but banks are scared. Nobody is getting the money they need to grow because of it.

That's what just about everyone has to qualify with. You need a proper down payment. Making loans without proper collateral, like at least 10% down is why they are hurting! They thought they could make these loans, but didn't count on the marker reversing. They would have forclosed and sold the assets, but the values went down instead of up. That's why they are hurting.

QUOTE=Thunder Dan
I agree and wish they could teach these greedy slimy bastards a lesson- but the fact is, America couldn't survive that lesson. Believe me, nobody wants to live in a America without banks. No cars, no homes, no nothing.[/QUOTE]
You think someone else won't create a bank?

Get real. It's not the end of banks, just the ones who fucked up.

Another example is my college roommate who is a pilot for a major airline was turned down by 4 banks for a boat loan of $15,000 at 9% interest. His payment was going to be about $250 a month- he makes $60,000 a year and has a 780 credit score, and the condition they said was he could qualify only if he a) had a cosigner, or B) put $3500 down (ie 25% of the loan amount). He ended up going with a foreign bank (ING) to get the loan.

Again, without a PERFECT cedit score, why should anyone expect a ZERO down loan,m especially on something that decreases in value as soon as you buy it?

I mean this is how banks are supposed to make money- but they are turning it down
Simply come up with a proper down payment like the rest of us do.

DarkReign
09-26-2008, 02:49 PM
^ Its weird, I was just having that very same conversation with my father-in-law yesterday. Him telling me how it used to be. 20% on your house or get the fuck out.

Purple & Gold
09-26-2008, 02:57 PM
I agree that without a proper down payment it has to be looked at a risk. But to encourage people to own houses rather than rent with money (tax breaks) and yet not allow people without money already (down payment) to own a house is a bit hypocritical. Just another way for people with money to just make more at the expense of those that don't have as much.

101A
09-26-2008, 03:19 PM
See, its my belief Americans need to be punched in the mouth.

I'll assume you have been punched in the mouth before, yes?

The butterflys in your stomach quickly go away, your senses become immediately sharper and your focus on the matter at hand becomes almost religious.

We are being run by the true elite (not this political pandering of elitist thrown around without regard), and these people are real. They own every politician, blue or red or green, to a point where they have carte blanche on all legislation that pertains to them (which is rare since the monetary system in this country is controlled by a non-government agency we call the Federal Reserve....its about as Federal as Federal Express, I believe the saying goes).

Americans need to actively participate in their government more than they do. 30% voter turnout is the penultimate stat of our incompetence and blazé fare (sp?) attitude. The only way to "punch them in the mouth" is by hitting them in the pocketbook.

It is my opinion that this bailout does nothing more than kick the can even further down the road. I say no, I say let it stop here, let the cards fall where they may.

Maybe, just fucking maybe, the American Idol-worshipping, People magazine subscribers of this country will wake the fuck up as a byproduct of this whole mess.

As it stands, this bailout will change nothing for your average American. They never had shit to give a shit. Now what little they do have will be in jeopardy and it will require them to (*GASP!*) actively pay attention to the world around them.

If this bailout goes thru, IMO, it will just continue to keep the sheep ignorant of the wolves. We are not vigilant and we need to be. This is an opportunity, IMO. I say seize the day with both hands. Cull the herd.

I'm mad as hell, also. I would rather the bailout not go through. Don't know the ramifications, don't really care. Fuck them.

101A
09-26-2008, 03:22 PM
I agree that without a proper down payment it has to be looked at a risk. But to encourage people to own houses rather than rent with money (tax breaks) and yet not allow people without money already (down payment) to own a house is a bit hypocritical. Just another way for people with money to just make more at the expense of those that don't have as much.

...and the way its been for eternity.

People who own pay property taxes; people who rent, don't.