PDA

View Full Version : TP interview

Bruno
09-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Link in french :
http://www.francesoir.fr/sport/2008/09/26/nba-tony-parker-un-retour-en-france-pourquoi-pas-a-paris.html

Translation :

Before going back in the USA Tony Parker evoke his future while the preview of his movie "9".

Tony, 9, it is the title your film and also the number of your jersey in SA...
The figure 9 has always been a lucky charm since I'm very young. I always had that number except in the 2001 Euro and in my first year in Paris Basket Racing where I had number 10. But at that time I was the rookie and I cna't choose my number.

What do you feel when you see Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan giving you props in your movie?
I enjoy it! Especially that they were my idols. The day when I played against Jordan, they was great. When I've come on the court, I was shaking. he even knew my name!

This is an odd year as when Spurs won their previous titles…
This is an odd year! Normally, if things go well, we will celebrate at the end of June. Our team is aging, but I think we had a shot to win it all, providing, of course, we stay healthy.

Shouldn't the team be renewed?
Pop has already announced it: this is the last year with this team. After this year, we will have to renew the team and get some young players.

Will your role change this season?
Not, I don't think so… I will have the same role this season than in the past. Even if it's true that with Manu's injury, I will even have to play more and better.

Do you think ending your career in San Antonio?
I still have three years of contract with Spurs. After that, all will depend on Tim and Pop. I will see what they want to do, it will have an effect on my choice. At the end, I think I will stay in SA, even if I'm not against of playing for another franchise.

Is a come back in France possible?
Why not in Paris if there is a NBA team there one day.

Have you get over the failure of French NT?
I stay with a positive attitude. We can still qualifying for the Euro 2009. As long as I can play with French NT, I will always be there until I can't run anymore. I will be part of all the competitions to come.

urunobili
09-26-2008, 07:50 AM
thanks for sharing! i found it interesting how he ponders his future on the team based on what Pop and Tim will do... he'd get maximum money being the main guy here... we'll know if he will prefer more rings maybe as a second tier star in another program.. only time will tell...

tp2021
09-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Fuck...If Tony leaves, what the hell kind of team are we gonna march out to lose every night?

chreph
09-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Man I really hope we hit the lottery again when Tim decides to retire. We can barely get any serious free agent interest as it is (excluding guys using us for leverage). :(

Ice009
09-26-2008, 08:06 AM
I remember after he signed his current contract that he said he could have went to another team like Atlanta and possibly gotten more money, but he would have been unhappy losing. He said he'd rather take less to play with the Spurs and a chance to win rather than having more money and being miserable all the time.

Bottom line : I really do think TP wants to win.

romain.star
09-26-2008, 08:20 AM
I remember after he signed his current contract that he said he could have went to another team like Atlanta and possibly gotten more money, but he would have been unhappy losing. He said he'd rather take less to play with the Spurs and a chance to win rather than having more money and being miserable all the time.

Bottom line : I really do think TP wants to win.

That could be said of every main spurs players over the last decade.
--> Rings over money

:lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt2:

ducks
09-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Pop has already announced it: this is the last year with this team. After this year, we will have to renew the team and get some young players.

tp2021
09-26-2008, 09:07 AM
I freaked out for a second, because I originally read this:

Pop has already announced it: this is his last year with the team. After this year, we will have to renew the team and get some young players.

Bruno
09-26-2008, 09:26 AM

It's because of this part that I've translated this article. It's quite strange that Pop say that the team will be the same for one year while most of the players are in contracts for two more years.
Next summer Spurs will have more than $20M in expiring contracts (I don't include Manu). Some teams will be looking for these expiring contracts to get capspace in 2010. IMO, Spurs will offer expiring contracts + picks/prospects to get some solid players with a lengthy contract instead of waiting the 2010 summer and try to sign one or two big FA.

Kamnik
09-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Holy shit how loyal is Tony to his NT. Props!

Also Nowitzki all these years.... crazy

And our Slovenian scrubs stay aways 50% of the time :/

bigdog
09-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I wonder what Pop and the FO are gonna do after this year.

Shit, who cares, let's just start this season already :hat

ducks
09-26-2008, 11:03 AM
It's because of this part that I've translated this article. It's quite strange that Pop say that the team will be the same for one year while most of the players are in contracts for two more years.
Next summer Spurs will have more than $20M in expiring contracts (I don't include Manu). Some teams will be looking for these expiring contracts to get capspace in 2010. IMO, Spurs will offer expiring contracts + picks/prospects to get some solid players with a lengthy contract instead of waiting the 2010 summer and try to sign one or two big FA.

spurs will have a easier time trading players that contracts expire after the season